As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DZC] Dropzone Commander 1.1 - Dropfleet Commander is Out!

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    All this Dropzone hype is making me seriously consider picking up the two player DZC starter. It's just a shame I'm not a huge fan of the Shaltari ships, because I somehow picked up a Shaltari DZC army somehow. I lurve the UCM ships and the UCM ground stuff isn't bad, except the ferrum, that thing is ugly, I don't care how good it is.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Me too. I know I have a friend and my brother who have expressed interest in buying the UCM side. Those Scourge ships are sooo nice it's making me want in again.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    There'll be a few exclusives at least, but they're all add-ons (they've proposed adding Scourge, PHR, and Shaltari battlecruisers at certain funding levels).

I'm still totally in on this, and everyone should consider that money spent up-front helps them much more directly than money spent later at retail. This really isn't about getting an amazing deal (which is sort of happening anyway) so much as showing your support and interest for a company and their product. Plus their release plan (and why you're basically only seeing frigates and cruisers) is to have things post-kickstarter for stores to sell anyway.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I'm quite aware of what a kickstarter is for.

I also know I just blew $450 on the Infinity RPG kickstarter, so jumping in head first on another isn't on the cards.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I hated the Ferrum design at first and then I realized I'm fielding a boss from one of the Area-88 games.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I'm quite aware of what a kickstarter is for.

I also know I just blew $450 on the Infinity RPG kickstarter, so jumping in head first on another isn't on the cards.

Sure, but I was more responding to the comments from the last page. :P

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    So I guess this is their plan for fighters and torpedos:

3ad82dda89832a11300fa92e45b24560_original.jpg?v=1446743047&w=639&fit=max&auto=format&q=92&s=fba49337cb4c37538a17f55a08ac427a

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    That's a fat torpedo.

• Options
    Torpedoes interest me as a year ago a good friend and I were discussing an hypothetical space-navy game and featured torpedoes as well. Something that had its own speed and course and would detonate after so many turns.
    I expect they'll be different here, but I'm still glad to see them.

Also, that new pledge level is DAMN tempting, even at $300 ... Getting a good chunk of every fleet (especially since you get so many free ships on stretch goals) is a pretty solid offering.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    How do people compare these fighters with how Armada mounts it's fighters?

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Torpedoes interest me as a year ago a good friend and I were discussing an hypothetical space-navy game and featured torpedoes as well. Something that had its own speed and course and would detonate after so many turns.
    I expect they'll be different here, but I'm still glad to see them.

Sounds a bit like how Battlefleet Gothic worked. You'd launch torpedos and in the ordnance phase they're move their own speed. Massive damage but easy to avoid, but avoiding them breaks up your line. Given Andy Chambers wrote Gothic, and is writing DFC, we might get something similar.

I'm really considering only getting one Infinity street map, and using the money from the other for the DZC starter.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I switched my pledge from the 2 2-player starters and exclusive UCM mini to the 1 2-player starter, 2 starter fleets of my choice, and all exclusive minis.

Guess who's getting all 4 factions all up ins?

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Your Santee in 2017?

• Options
    I was going to pledge at the double starter level, but the new level is incredibly tempting.

• Options
    Never change, internet ... Hawk gives info on launch assets, explains they don't want boarding parties and why, people remain firmly irritated that there are not boarding parties and that they should exist because they clearly understand how this in-development game works better than the people actually making it. =_=

BESIDES THAT, I like the proposal for fighters and bombers so far. Not sure I care about having miniatures instead of tokens at the moment, but definitely going to happily build a few Seattle Class cruisers once everything comes in. ^_^

• Options
    Well, pretty sure that I'm gonna get into Dropzone sooner or later. Thinking of something like this for my starterbox+ 1k list to get my feet wet.
    Standard Army
    Clash: 998/1000 points
    Standard Army
    • Standard Roster [998/1000 pts]
      • Field Command [180 pts]
        • Kodiak: Kodiak [108 pts]
        • Wolverine Squad: 4x Wolverine A [72 pts]
      • Armored Formation [328 pts]
        • Sabre Squad: 3x Sabre, Condor(+Missile Pods) [152 pts]
        • Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor(+Missile Pods) [176 pts]
      • Legionnaire Corps [219 pts]
        • Legionnaires: 3x Legionnaires, Condor, 2x Bear [141 pts]
        • ^ Sharing ^ Legionnaires: 3x Legionnaires [78 pts]
      • Special Ordinance [159 pts]
        • Gladius Squad: 2x Gladius, Condor(+Missile Pods) [159 pts]
      • Air Wing [112 pts]
        • Seraphim Squad: Seraphim [112 pts]
    Is it terribad?

• Options
    The Seraphim is a iffy fast mover, I'd go with an Archangel. You can use the extra points to buy a commander for a better chance to get initiative each turn.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Oh right, I forgot I needed a commander! Swap Seraphim for 1 Archangel and a commander?

I stripped the missiles off most of my dropships, added a Lt and a single Archangel.

Asher on
  • Options
    Yup, you should be able to get the level 3 commander if you also drop the missile pods on two of the Condors

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    At 1000 you want more infantry. 4x bases in a pair of Raven A's should be fairly cheap.

But yeah drop the Seraphim. For now.

• Options
    Are Praetorians in Ravens a thing? It seems cool and themey, but are straight legionaries more efficient?

• Options
    If you want to run exotics, skip Praetorians and go straight to Hazards. If you want to run a 5th squad of infantry, that's when I'd go to Praetorians.

Right now I run 3x 2 bases of Legionnaires, but I have a pack of Hazard suits on order and am planning on running 2x2 Legionnaires and 2x2 Hazards.

• Options
    I picked up a blister of hazards at NOVA but haven't used them yet.

I just use the basic infantry in my Ravens right now. They are crazy mobile and dirt cheap.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I have more experience with Scourge, but I can attest that Wolverines are a pain in the dick with AA guns.

And the Kodiak is also a shitlord that will survive every game.

• Options
    Thanks for the input guys! Wolverines don't seem very "good", but they are fast and cheap. Mf of 9" seems pretty bonkers in a game like this. In terms of just getting my feet wet and buying as little as possible to start with I was thinking of something like this because it's a bit of a royal sampler. Ravens to follow
    Standard Army
    Clash: 998/1000 points
    Standard Army
    • Standard Roster [998/1000 pts]
      • Field Command [307 pts]
        • Kodiak: Kodiak(Captain) [203 pts]
        • Wolverine Squad: 4x Wolverine A, 2x Wolverine B [104 pts]
      • Armored Formation [328 pts]
        • Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor(+Missile Pods) [176 pts]
      • Legionnaire Corps [229 pts]
        • Legionnaires: 3x Legionnaires, Condor(+Missile Pods), 2x Bear [151 pts]
      • Air Wing [134 pts]
        • Archangel Squad: 2x Archangel [134 pts]

UCM starter + Kodiak, Archangel blister and 2 blisters of Wolverines. Is there anything better I can do with my points than a random couple of extra buggies? I'd rather not have to buy another blister, but I can't afford a bigger commander. Or if I drop some missiles is there anything worthwhile I could achieve?

• Options
    I like both lists you've posted because it's rather similar to what I'd look at if I bought a couple more things to start UCM properly. I have a starter and that fancy new gladius blister, and wouldn't be averse to getting a Kodiak. I know Wolverines are probably required with that, but does it leave space for ravens and infantry at that point? Or am I going to suffer greatly by not having more air support?

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Don't bother with the non-AA wolverines, or taking more than 4. You need more infantry to get objectives. If your opponent has more than 2 squads and you aren't good at quickly dropping building on their heads (and UCM aren't) then you're basically fucked. Even the rank 3 Commander is probably a bit much at 1000pts.

Standard Army
    Clash: 996/1000 points
    Standard Army
    • Standard Roster [996/1000 pts]
      • Field Command [240 pts]
        • Kodiak: Kodiak(Lieutenant) [168 pts]
        • Wolverine Squad: 4x Wolverine A [72 pts]
      • Armored Formation [318 pts]
        • Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor [166 pts]

EDIT: Revised. It's not sexy, but you'll put a lot of pressure on your opponent with your objective-taking abilities. Plus UCM infantry can fire rockets down to the last man alive on the base which can do not-terrible anti-tank duties when they're garrisoned.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    Yeah that's what I'll be looking at later, but I just want to start messing around with a variety of things to get a feel for them. Then grab a 2nd starters probably.

• Options
    20151110_222239.jpg

I did the thing. These models are nice. This is happening! Now to convince my FLGS to stock more than just the starters.

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    I need to expand my shaltari force to have more of a choice as what to field, cause as is, i have a starter box + 3 heavy walkers and 4 fast scouts. getting some of the new heavy infantry and or caimans would be good.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I've been having trouble making a Shaltari list. There's just so much stuff I want to put in.

• Options
    I've been having trouble making a Shaltari list for any of the factions. There's just so much stuff I want to put in.

FTFY

• Options
    Actually, I'm pretty happy with my Scourge list. Zoom-zoom, pew-pew.

• Options
    Asher wrote: »
    20151110_222239.jpg

I did the thing. These models are nice. This is happening! Now to convince my FLGS to stock more than just the starters.

I was going to as well. But then Guitar Hero Live fell into the basket instead.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I love me the hell out of BFG and the models for Dropfleet Commander look really good and I think the rules so far seem really interesting. I probably won't be backing until later this week regardless, but I'm definitely considering backing at the 70 or 90$ levels.

I'm actually curious if there will be a Resistance fleet. I can understand why there's a good chance there won't be but I think the aesthetics of one would be pretty interesting. I also actually really like the way the UCM and Scourge fleets look so I'm totally fine if those are the only choices for backers at this stage.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Currently the answer is "no Resistance fleet." Dave doesn't see a way for a fleet to fit in the current fluff. There are plans to have them figure in somehow though, perhaps as npc ships.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Is 90$ a good deal for a two faction starter pack with all the other gubbins the kickstarter offers or would I be better off financially speaking to wait for the game to release? I mean there's also those free sprues available for those who kickstart.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    It's pretty good, the 2 player starter for DZC is around $95 MSRP I believe. You'll also get the extra cruiser sprues as well so you can experiment with different ship layouts.

• Options
    So with my latest purchase, this is what my 1500 pt list is looking like:

UCM 1500
    Clash: 1500/1500 points
    Standard Army
    • Standard Roster [1500/1500 pts]
      • Field Command [415 pts]
        • Ferrum: Ferrum [165 pts]
        • Phoenix: Phoenix(Lieutenant) [250 pts]
      • Armored Formation [221 pts]
        • Katana Squad: 3x Katana [111 pts]
        • Eagle: Eagle [110 pts]
      • Legionnaire Corps [215 pts]
        • Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]
        • Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier [135 pts]
      • Legionnaire Corps [217 pts]
        • Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]
        • Fireblade Squad: 3x Fireblade, Condor(+Missile Pods) [137 pts]
      • Expeditionary Group [298 pts]
        • Wolverine Squad: 4x Wolverine A, 2x Raven B [102 pts]
        • Hazard Suit Team: 2x Hazard Suit, Raven A [98 pts]
        • Hazard Suit Team: 2x Hazard Suit, Raven A [98 pts]
      • Air Wing [134 pts]
        • Archangel Squad: Archangel [67 pts]
        • Archangel Squad: Archangel [67 pts]

I'd love to get Scimitars in somehow but its pretty much a choice between those and the Fireblades, and I think my AT work is good enough at this point.