As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gang Beasts, And Other [Indie Games]

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I kind of miss playing Loadout but apparently most of the internet doesn't agree with me sooooooooooo...

dedicated multiplayer small indie games...

well the thing in the video is that loadout is adding PvE content, currently in beta

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Having to wait 20 minutes to find a 5 minute match was definitely one of the major reasons I just stopped playing online multiplayer.

As well as lag.

And the fact that people are insufferable.

On consoles, by having dedicated servers that people could rent out I found that with both Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4 it takes me less than a minute to get into a full server of 24 or 64 players respectively. I've been impressed with how that game stuck around.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Steam queue introduced me to a game that is basically "you know the block laying mechanic from minecraft? What if you made a puzzle game out of it?" To which I reply "be super interested in it."

I'll probably wait for a sale, since I have lots to play already, but I'll keep you in my thoughts, Qbeh-1.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    dragon's crown is the best game in its genre and it's a real shame that the character design is what it is because the art otherwise is gorgeous and it's super fun to play

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I honestly got kind of bored with it halfway through my first playthrough as it got really repetitive pretty fast. It's also the sort of game where stuff just happens and it can become very visually overwhelming (at least on Vita) so many times I've not been quite able to figure out what was going on. Things do eventually just die and I guess that is fine?

Either way, I didn't like the art style but I was happy to just say "It's a really great game". Now I'm not so sold on the "really great game" part at all.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    everytime I see dragon's crown I am reminded that I never did beat odin sphere

I should play some odin sphere

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    it is certainly a genre that not everyone will like

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    hey guys, here's an indie game custom made for gamergaters!

http://youtu.be/SoGTTzs2PLg

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular

as terrible as this looks, i do like the airhorn playing along with the sad death music.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    dragon's crown is the best game in its genre and it's a real shame that the character design is what it is because the art otherwise is gorgeous and it's super fun to play

it's a shame since I really loved Shadow Over Mystara

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    so it's reboot

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    he says 10 seconds before the part in the video where the guy compares it to reboot

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEpTPLR8Wu0

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    NPR's just done a story about gamergate: http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2014/09/24/349835297/-gamergate-controversy-fuels-debate-on-women-and-video-games

I predict outrage from the usual contingent on account of they didn't interview any pro-gamergate people

I've been seeing comments about how they interviewed the "vile and vitriolic" Leigh Alexander, which is a hoot and a holler

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    that meme runner video gave me a motherfucker of a headache

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I'm playing the shit out of Fez right now and I'm simultaneously the best and worst Fez player ever. Half the puzzles I'm destroying speed-run style the other half of the game consists of me hopping around the outside of my PC tower howling and hitting it with a bone.

I know this is from the first page, but this is exactly how I've felt the entire time I've played Fez. All of the platforming and most of the puzzles I breeze through without a care in the world, just running around and really enjoying the music and art and stuff. But all of the other puzzles? The cryptography and shit? It makes me feel like a caveman trying to figure out advanced quantum physics. I could look it all up online I guess but then there wouldn't be a point to playing the game.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    everytime I see dragon's crown I am reminded that I never did beat odin sphere

I should play some odin sphere

There's just so much padding in that game. By the time you finish the second character you've already seen 90% of the game, but you still have 3 more characters to go before you get to the end game. I think the farthest I ever made it was to the end of the fairy girls chapter. I think I got stuck on a boss that could one shot me and gave up.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    On the plus side, I can play a couple levels every few months and have the game last me for years

Downside is I have to refamiliarize myself with how it plays every time

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    It's pretty weird how your brain continues to rotate for a little while after playing roundabout.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    After its less than inspiring launch that was seemingly defined by more traffic cones than people, it's tough to have any confidence in the Xbox One in the Japanese market. Hell, Microsoft itself didn't, seeing as it wasn't a part of the console's global launch last November.

Judging by the latest Media Create sales figures, Microsoft's tempered expectations were completely justified. For the week ending on September 21, the Xbox One sold 1,314 units in Japan. The Xbox 360 chipped in an additional 103 sales. By comparison, the PlayStation 4 moved 8,939 units -- almost seven times more than Microsoft's console.

Of course, handhelds were the top performers as always. The 3DS XL (LL in Japan) and normal 3DS sold a combined 43,592, and the Vita saw 11,148 sales. The former's figures were likely bolstered by the recent launch of Super Smash Bros. for 3DS which has topped 1.2 million sales in less than two weeks.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    People were saying that the PS4 launched pretty poorly in Japan.

We've got some serious perspective on that now.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I for real don't even know why they bothered.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Wow

Japan really doesn't give a shit about consoles huh

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    To some extent yes

But also they especially don't give a shit about Xbox

360's sales were so abysmal there I can't see why they even bothered releasing the Xbox One over there. It seems like at some point the cost of even releasing it over there isn't worth the handful of sales.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Okay something I'm finding I love about Steam Curation

http://store.steampowered.com/curator/6857089-Double-Fine-Productions/#p1

Stuff like this

Double Fine has their own Curation page, and only 1 of the pages is their own stuff

3 whole pages of other people's games that Double Fine thinks are awesome

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    To some extent yes

360's sales were so abysmal there I can't see why they even bothered releasing the Xbox One over there. It seems like at some point the cost of even releasing it over there isn't worth the handful of sales.

No I mean sure yes

But 10,000 consoles total v 55,000 handhelds is SO CRAZY to me

Like I like my 3ds because of the games that come out on it but I actually hate handheld gaming and would rather play any single one of those games on my wiiu so its just super weird to me

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Okay something I'm finding I love about Steam Curation

http://store.steampowered.com/curator/6857089-Double-Fine-Productions/#p1

Stuff like this

Double Fine has their own Curation page, and only 1 of the pages is their own stuff

3 whole pages of other people's games that Double Fine thinks are awesome

Devolver Digital has a good one as well

http://store.steampowered.com/curator/6638525-Devolver-Digital-Super-Fun-Club/

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Maddoc wrote: »
    To some extent yes

No I mean sure yes

But 10,000 consoles total v 55,000 handhelds is SO CRAZY to me

Like I like my 3ds because of the games that come out on it but I actually hate handheld gaming and would rather play any single one of those games on my wiiu so its just super weird to me

I never truly understood handhelds until I had a 2 hr 20 minute total commute by train to work and back home every day. That's when I started to preferentially buy things on my Vita instead of my PS3. I didn't even realize until I found the stat page by accident that I had put more than 100 hours in Soul Sacrifice.

That's a lot of train.

Multiplayer trophies in vita games can eat shit though.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    I loved my DS back when I was doing a 4.5 hour total commute

I would have loved to have my tablet back then, too

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkK3GkAss_I

Roll7 has announced OlliOlli 2:

wait for it

"WELCOME TO OLLIWOOD"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    People were saying that the PS4 launched pretty poorly in Japan.

We've got some serious perspective on that now.

The WiiU sold 8,396 units in the same week, just barely placing under the PS4

though Bayonetta 2 did come out that week, which gave the WiiU a boost, albeit a slight one

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Sometimes I think maybe if I had a commute I'd play handheld games

But then I think no I'd probably just use that them to read comics or books on my kindle and/or listen to podcasts.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    There are some kinds of games that I really only want to play on a handheld: jurps and turn-based strategy games mostly. It makes it easier to multitask or watch TV while playing something that doesn't command my full attention. This is why I keep considering getting a Vita to use solely as a Disgaea machine.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Steam Curator Curator

This has potential.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Sometimes I think maybe if I had a commute I'd play handheld games

But then I think no I'd probably just use that them to read comics or books on my kindle and/or listen to podcasts.

my 3ds kind of sits around in standby mode until I feel the need to play fire emblem again

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    So Endless Legend does this thing like Civ V where there are minor factions around that you can get on your side.

And you kind of do it in the same way as Civ, they have a quest to do. But once you do that, they contribute directly to your empire and you can spend a currency to adopt them into your empire, which gives you a bonus and lets you build their unit. Gives them a personality, combined with the fact that it's fantasy stuff like giant fat centaurs called Bos and red glowing skeletons that are only alive by Dust.

ALSO you do lots of quests in the game, for minor factions, found in unearthed ruins, for your empire, it's pretty neat. Gives a feeling of a story to your conquest.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlF3BHbci_Y

that which sleeps is on kickstarter, currently 128% funded

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    So what's with Japan and consoles anyway
    Is it like... having to optimize the living space you've got, or so many people are out and commuting and on the go, or something else I'm not thinking of, or...

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I always figured Japan wasn't that into consoles because their PC's are just billions of miles ahead of ours and trying to use a current gen console probably feels like it would for us to boot up a Vic20

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
This discussion has been closed.