Options

Gang Beasts, And Other [Indie Games]

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    I'm watching some Quicklooks and If I'm being honest here...

I fucking hate Neverending Nightmares' art style. It just looks like a Comedy Central flash animated series but with lazy cross-hatching. I get the sense that they wanted to go for that whole unnerving children's horror illustration vibe but it just looks like spooky House of Cosbys.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I think they're going for Edward Gorey

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I would like someone to please make a video game in Dave McKean's ink style.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

They should have that next to all the lines and have someone standing next to them and pointing it out and making sure everybody not only sees but understands and acknowledges it.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    captaink wrote: »

Oh I know, I just don't think Edward Gorey's all that scary and I don't think they're doing a very good job of emulating him anyway. All the characters look like Deviant Art fan art of The Critic characters in his style. Also the game is kinda poorly animated and relies on too many cheesy horror tropes.

I mean...it's just...bad. I spent the entire quicklook in a total disconnect from how Brad and Dan were reacting. Nothing was scary and all I could focus on was how they tried to do shadows by putting a bunch of lines on a layer in front of everything else and how that doesn't really look good in motion. I hate bright colorful "THIS OBJECT IS INTERACTIVE" cues in anything but it's especially egregious when they're trying to establish a horror atmosphere.

...it just looks bad in every way. The music was on point I guess.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    At 9pm (in like 15-20 minutes), I'm gonna stream that Neverending Nightmares game for the G&T steam thread over here.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    oh shit I want to see

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

Oh I know, I just don't think Edward Gorey's all that scary and I don't think they're doing a very good job of emulating him anyway. All the characters look like Deviant Art fan art of The Critic characters in his style. Also the game is kinda poorly animated and relies on too many cheesy horror tropes.

I mean...it's just...bad. I spent the entire quicklook in a total disconnect from how Brad and Dan were reacting. Nothing was scary and all I could focus on was how they tried to do shadows by putting a bunch of lines on a layer in front of everything else and how that doesn't really look good in motion. I hate bright colorful "THIS OBJECT IS INTERACTIVE" cues in anything but it's especially egregious when they're trying to establish a horror atmosphere.

...it just looks bad in every way. The music was on point I guess.

I haven't watched the quicklook yet but that sounds pretty disappointing. Danny was real high on it on the Bombcast as well.

• Options
    Well if you like games that are populated almost entirely by poorly drawn creepy dolls and paintings of dudes from Kate Beaton comics but not drawn well like Kate Beaton comics...

Ok, now I'm just burying this poor game. The artery ripping scene was pretty good but that was only a second long.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    It probably actually was a tendon

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    No it was definitely not a tendon. They are not purple.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I think it was supposed to be a vein or something.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Anyways, I have no idea how good this game will be, but I'm about to start streaming it.

let's have an adventure in the kind of horror game a political cartoonist would make, only with less Obama

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014

A vein will snap or either break at a far end and slide out like spaghetti before ripping the skin like that. The palmaris longus fits the bill better.

edit: yeah no way dude the tensile strength of a femoral vein is 4.5Pa and the ultimate strength of skin is 1256Pa

Paladin on
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

A vein will snap or either break at a far end and slide out like spaghetti before ripping the skin like that. The palmaris longus fits the bill better.

edit: yeah no way dude the tensile strength of a femoral vein is 4.5Pa and the ultimate strength of skin is 1256Pa

bpFrY0Z.png

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options

The main character runs like an ostrich in a man suit and has the anatomy of a child's drawing. I don't think this is exactly one of the few areas the developers gave a fuck about. I don't mean that in a forgiving way either. There are plenty of things about the visuals and the mechanics that look like they got to a "good enough" stage and were quickly wrapped up so more 2spooky4u events could be scripted.

All of this reminds me that Anthony Burch used to do some really good videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-1oXLZmT3M

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    i mean edward gorey isn't supposed to actually be scary. it's like, all silly.

Langly on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    horror, much like comedy, will not have equal appeal to all audiences

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Thanks for the game, rorus <3

• Options
    There is a part in Neverending Nightmares where I just broke into a laughing fit.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    Yeah I thought that game was freaky as all hell. No way I would've made it through if I played it myself

• Options
    There are approximately ONE MILLION REASONS I wouldn't play the game through.

I'm glad I got to see it. <3

• Options
    I will give the game credit for not making the alternate paths a pain to find.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i'm just gonna say it guys

are we completely sure that paladin is not a serial killer

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Considering how much of that game was a particularly long hallway, I can't imagine it would be difficult

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    i'm just gonna say it guys

are we completely sure that paladin is not a serial killer

Well, he's not very considerate if he is. I didn't see him at any of the meetings.

...I mean, um... look over there?

• Options
    do you doubt my sources

• Options
    edited September 2014
    I think Neverending Nightmares would have been better if it hadn't tried to be a horror game.
    The art gets really funny during jump scares, to the point where it borders on bad flash game.

However, there is a point in the game where you are wondering around in the dark with a candle. At one point you start looping through a room until you double back. Then the door you went through that would start the loop anew becomes a way to a new room. But THAT room, however, is just a dead end. I think that did a nice job of conveying the feeling of dealing with the anxieties and mental troubles that the creator had. It was probably my favorite stage in the game because of that. The stage wasn't fun, but it got the message across far better.

The game's scares are just very cliche and done poorly. And it really goes overboard with the gore to a comedic level (granted, I'm pretty desensitised to gore so maybe it's effective for other people?)

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014

No layperson knows that shit. C'mon.

If you want to get really anal about this: the wound is way too superficial for it to be a tendon, and palmaris longus is too distal from where the tearing begins in the cinematic. Furthermore, veins are typically depicted as a blue or purple (and they can look purpleish in situ...kinda...well, more so than a tendon anyways) whereas tendons are typically depicted as white. And I think generally people would find a vein creepier than a tendon because blood, and Nightmares really loves showing blood.

I mean, anatomically speaking it wouldn't be either, but I'm throwing my money on vein in this silly argument. All I need is to play the game again and get a clean screenshot. I swear I saw a lumen, honest!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    one time I cut my finger and it hurt

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I didn't find the ql to be scary do much as unsettling, and I scare pretty easy

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    I think it's the opposite of a horror game in that perpetual unease without a reason would burn you out pretty quick

• Options

One time I cut into my own finger about a centimeter deep...

with a hacksaw.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    The problem is that the unease goes away really fast when the scares are silly.

I was walking into monsters asking them for hugs.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

with a hacksaw.

that's dumb why would you do that

• Options

with a hacksaw.

that's dumb why would you do that

Shop class.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    a centimeter's not that much though

This discussion has been closed.