As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    That is completely and appropriately terrifying Basil.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    I don't know squat. Haven't played R'lyeh for a long time either, so maybe I'll try something else. Agartha maybe? Haven't played with the Golems yet.
    What's the issue with UW nations, if you don't mind boiling it down?

EDIT: Fuck it, I'll go with Agartha. Gonna go design a pretender.

Well, there are a number of reasons I'm forgetting but off the top of my head, the fact is the game isn't really balanced around them. They tend to have a tough time getting on land to compete with land nations which they will inevitably have to do, and I don't know of any of them that can recruit nationals on land even with fortresses and the like. MA R'lyeh isn't as bad as some IIRC, but their insanity stuff tends to backfire on them and while they're not as bad as other UW nations they're not really good either.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    As far as I know there just isn't really a lategame plan for them. As a land nation the UW nations can be annoying, for sure, but their troops can't compete blow for blow with yours on land and there are so many more land provinces than sea ones that your economical superiority is almost guaranteed. When you finally do decide to wipe them out there are items to forge that allow your most elite troops to go down there, plus undead and amphibian auxiliaries to assist them. On the flip side there is no item to allow aquatic troops to walk on land, and generally the amphibious troops are low quality or get disadvantages to stats on land, including commanders.

I could see them working on some maps, though. The ability to attack coastal provinces with minimal fear of counterattack is really powerful, and if there are areas of land that are protected by coastal bottlenecks or otherwise much more accessible by sea than by land you can probably go toe to toe with many of the land nations. When I play EA or MA Agartha they are just a source of free forts though.

Vic on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    The game is up! http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=PennyArcadeMA

If you've declared a nation feel free to send in your pretender, otherwise please tell me what nation you're playing and then send in your pretender.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Aw yiss.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    I picked this up last weekend. I'm down for a game, if there's room.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I picked this up last weekend. I'm down for a game, if there's room.

Pick a nation, post it here and sign up for the PennyArcadeMA game. The process and how to do it etc. should be in the thread, page 2 or 3 or something.

• Options
    Got the map and I've signed up my pretender.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I'll be joining as Caelum.

• Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    I'll join as the Nazca. They weren't in Dom3 and I haven't gotten a chance to play them.

I'll read the FAQ and figure out what to send where.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    It basically just boils down that to join you have to send your Pretender file (which is in the newlords folder in savegames under Dominions 4) as an attachment to pretenders@llamaserver.net with the name of the game you wish to join as the as the subject heading

So you'd be sending a file called Mid_Nazca_0.2h(or possibly 1.2h or 2.2h if you make multiple pretenders for Nazca, it depends on which one you end up deciding to use) to pretenders@llamaserver.net subject heading PennyArcadeMA

I never played Dom3 but I assume you know how to make a Pretender for a multiplayer game (like the process is the same)?

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I am so happy with the direction I intend to take Abysia in this match. So happy you guys.

The happiest.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    I am so happy with the direction I intend to take Abysia in this match. So happy you guys.

The happiest.

Cold scales and water specialized pretender? Bold move, bold move.

Making the pretender is always the hardest part

• Options
    Yeah. My Marignon pretender is either going to be really cool or it will really suck.

• Options
    Drake wrote: »
    Yeah. My Marignon pretender is either going to be really cool or it will really suck.

Porque no los dos?

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I have so many glorious plans!

SO MANY

Some of them are even sane and feasible.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Basil wrote: »
    I have so many glorious plans!

SO MANY

Some of them are even sane and feasible.

Sanity and feasibility optional.

• Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    I'm in the market for air gems. Contact me if you are willing to trade any.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    I'll join as the Nazca. They weren't in Dom3 and I haven't gotten a chance to play them.

Alright, fire your pretender to the server and let's get this party started!

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Latest turn (T16) in the EA game I had provinces hire up some independent armies. Hence the big jump in my troop strength. Nothing to worry about, just provincial leaders overstepping their authority. The Imperial Treasurer was highly displeased, for those taxes were earmarked for other projects. These troops shall be dedicated to defending the peace of Shadowshores. Think of them as social workers with spears patroling my borders. Nothing to worry about at all.

Drake on
  • Options
    Rhan9 wrote: »

Alright, fire your pretender to the server and let's get this party started!

I'll send it in tonight after work.

• Options
    So my neighbors are pretty cool:

l1ISsGb.jpg

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Sounds legit!

I have this happy chappy and a couple hundred friends of his next to me:
    ZefkXWk.png

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    Yeah I saw that

on the one hand it's unfortunate having a difficult to conquer neutral right next to your capital

on the other hand, you have access to what I assume is a three point Throne super close to you

on the gripping hand, that probably won't become available to you until late game (unless you're like me and are stupidly willing to throw hundreds of troops into a meat grinder just to claim it early on)

• Options
    Yeah I saw that

on the one hand it's unfortunate having a difficult to conquer neutral right next to your capital

on the other hand, you have access to what I assume is a three point Throne super close to you

on the gripping hand, that probably won't become available to you until late game (unless you're like me and are stupidly willing to throw hundreds of troops into a meat grinder just to claim it early on)

Or, just maybe... The thrones near me aren't exactly of beneficial nature. It's a bit concerning to look at the throne provinces and see a bunch of skulls.

• Options
    Hmm, I don't know if Thrones spread that kind of effect without being claimed? It might just be the natural dominion (or whatever you'd call it) of those provinces?

Oh and @Fonjo have you decided if you are definitely going to be playing Ulm or not? I'll be waiting your to submit if so (or if you're still deciding) but otherwise once Tiger Burning submits his Nazca pretender I'm probably going to start it up.

• Options
    Hmm, I don't know if Thrones spread that kind of effect without being claimed? It might just be the natural dominion (or whatever you'd call it) of those provinces?

Oh and @Fonjo have you decided if you are definitely going to be playing Ulm or not? I'll be waiting your to submit if so (or if you're still deciding) but otherwise once Tiger Burning submits his Nazca pretender I'm probably going to start it up.

Some do. Throne of winter does, plague does too. The global effect thrones tend to have localized conditions to their liking

• Options
    Sent.

If I did it right.

So, like, 50/50.

• Options
    You did indeed send it right. Now we wait on Fonjo.

• Options
    This is exciting!

I'm excited, are you excited? :D

• Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Sorry, was without internet all day, I'll get submitted soon.

EDIT: Also, getting shoved in the center point of 4-5 other nations really sucks when they all want to expand at the same time. Looking forward to another start in a second game.

Noxy on
  • Options
    Sorry for the delay guys, was playing Splatoon. The game is afoot!

• Options
    Sorry for the delay guys, was playing Splatoon. The game is afoot!

Curse youuuu for starting this an hour after I left for work!

• Options
    Winter is here, apparently.

Man, some of my provinces are a whole 1 heat scale down.

Some of my bats are wearing little sweaters.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    I can now forge Dwarven Hammers. If any of you would like to buy some please PM me.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    From the Office of Xibalban Internal Affairs:

Can giants feel pain like we do? Ongoing studies suggest that without the steadying influence of democracy, they might not!

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Middle Ages Report from the Mountains of Caelum

You people do not even understand what OP means, I tell you what.

• Options
    MA Ermor

Greetings citizens! The great people over at Ermor are opening a new branch office in Urraparrand for you. Now you too can benefit from the ground-breaking treatments we have developed in our search to defy the enemy of us all, Time. Do you want to live forever? We sure do.

For more information about treatment schedules and availability in your area, please report to any of our corporate holdings. We're growing fast, so a mobile representative may be by shortly with demonstrations of our product line.

-Valyria CEO of Ermor Enterprises

We won't stop until the whole world benefits from our better tomorrow.

• Options
    Are you talking about Caelum or whoever you're fighting?

• Options
    Are you talking about Caelum or whoever you're fighting?

... :(