As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TECH THREAD] Fridge, Dishwasher, Stove and Washer/Dryer talk ONLY, please

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    not seeing much in this Yosemite update beyond aesthetics that change my day to day experience, except for the fact that they changed the default maximize button on windows to take over the entire screen instead of grow to fit the space.

Not liking that particular change much.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/10/17-things-you-can-do-in-os-x-yosemite-that-you-couldnt-do-in-mavericks/

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    The Note 4 is gorgeous, but it won't fit in my pocket and I can't take it running so for me it's right out.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    They make running bands for them but I think the note 4 is actually bigger than my bicep so that might look weird

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    There's also some people who've had luck hacking their 2011 Macbooks to support Continuity/Handoff stuff, but it involves editing some system files. A friend of mine is gonna try it out and let me know how it goes.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Moto X is tony the tiger

• Options
    There's also some people who've had luck hacking their 2011 Macbooks to support Continuity/Handoff stuff, but it involves editing some system files. A friend of mine is gonna try it out and let me know how it goes.

This is bizarre to me because my 2010 pro ran all that stuff just fine

Crazy

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    iCloud photo library slowly getting my pics
    Only 7,300 to go

poo
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Okay so this is gonna be a stupid question

Do iPhones have a built in gps app I can use like the navigation one on my androids

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yes.

I haven't used Apple maps which is the default and you can't change it.

But I use google maps and it's pretty much identical to the android one.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    They've done a lot of work on the stock map app so it's not too bad now. I was using it a fair bit this past weekend and it was fine for me.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Huh, I had a good poke through it just then.

With it integrating with yelp it does give pretty good results!

It doesn't have a very good zoom in function though compared to google maps. Gmaps will tell you about the individual buildings when you zoom in, and plus it has street view.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Hmm, my new phone is telling me I have full service but no data connection. I can't send texts out either. I've tried restarting it, removing the battery, and reseating the SIM but nothing is getting me actual service. I had no issues out and about with it last night. I think it might be the building I work in. I eventually got signal here on AT&T because they installed a micro-cell on the roof, but even people with Verizon aren't able to get a solid signal here.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    The Note 4 is gorgeous, but it won't fit in my pocket and I can't take it running so for me it's right out.

Sony Z3 Compact? I think it's out soon for T-Mo and AT&T.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I still haven't managed to get the phone app and contacts to work and neither has the Samsung-support. Can someone point me to a good alternative phone/dialer/contacts app that I can try to install? Maybe a third-party app works.

• Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    not seeing much in this Yosemite update beyond aesthetics that change my day to day experience, except for the fact that they changed the default maximize button on windows to take over the entire screen instead of grow to fit the space.

Not liking that particular change much.

Don't listen to that shill @Abcracadaniel, just hold Option down while you press the green button, it goes back to the default maximize function.

Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    or if you just need it double click the top bar of the window and watch it balloon

• Options
    (that does the same thing as option clicking green)

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    or if you just need it double click the top bar of the window and watch it balloon

yahhhh

poo
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    That doesn't work for me on a few programs, like Chrome and Fireworks. The Option press does. Wish it was a little more consistent.

Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    I still haven't managed to get the phone app and contacts to work and neither has the Samsung-support. Can someone point me to a good alternative phone/dialer/contacts app that I can try to install? Maybe a third-party app works.

There's a VoIP app called Bolt that could work. When you make phone calls to non-Bolt users they use your plan minutes, according to the devs.

I've played around with Contacts+ as an alternative to the contact app, as well. Works pretty well.

工事中
  • Options
    honovere wrote: »

Have you tried any of these that I'm pulling of the top of my head:

Using a custom ROM
    Maybe installing a slightly different stock ROM for your phone
    trying to find the dialer apk for your particular phone (I can't remember which one you have right now)

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Thanks.

So far I've only found the apk for the S4 and I've got the S4 mini. Not sure that is compatible.

So far, Just to try it out, I installed Dialer One (It was on top of the list in the play shop). Now at least I have a key pad to make call. Contacts are still kinda broken. When I sart typing the number the correct contact shows up, but I can't just choose or edit a contact in the contact list. Maybe contact+ plus dialer+ works better, but that apparently has in app purchases and quite a list of access rights it wants to have?

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    im mildly shocked at how backordered iPhone 6's still are. still a month long wait list for a Plus

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    preorder.oneplus.net/

So the OnePlus One is available for pre-order 27th October. Going to try it and see what happens.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    preorder.oneplus.net/

So the OnePlus One is available for pre-order 27th October. Going to try it and see what happens.

I keep hearing great things about that phone, although the camera supposedly isn't great? Did they fix that via update?

工事中
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Jasconius wrote: »
    im mildly shocked at how backordered iPhone 6's still are. still a month long wait list for a Plus

This is always the case with Apple phones. You have high demand coupled with an onus to keep it that way by trickling out the product and making the owners feel really special when they get one. It works great with the iPhone and other products like the original Nintendo Wii. Keeps the company in the news as well even weeks or months after release!

TankHammer on
  • Options
    I am supposed to go have some up close and personals with the Z3 and Z3 compact in 45 minutes but man I cannot motivate myself to get up and GO

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    preorder.oneplus.net/

I keep hearing great things about that phone, although the camera supposedly isn't great? Did they fix that via update?

I've not actually come across issues with the camera, reviews tend to be positive but not glowing as you'd expect really. The quibbles I've heard are all related to the software but none of the issues are really putting me off the phone when you consider the price.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »

This is always the case with Apple phones. You have high demand coupled with an onus to keep it that way by trickling out the product and making the owners feel really special when they get one. It works great with the iPhone and other products like the original Nintendo Wii. Keeps the company in the news as well even weeks or months after release!

I seriously, seriously doubt apple is holding back stock and "trickling it out"

Nintendo would have sold more Wiis if they had been able to build them, and apple would move more iphones if people could actually buy one. The demand is there, the supply isn't.

Something that sell 10 million on its first weekend probably doesn't need to resort to supply fuckery to remain popular

ronzo on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Also all kinds of production restrictions are going to come into play here.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So I installed iOS 8.1 on my iPad2. It seems to run way smoother than 8.0

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    also like iPhones are pretty easy to find retail with some notable size exceptions

• Options
    Somebody broke into my car and stole my fucking macbook pro

I can not afford to fucking replace that shit, I'm really hoping the car insurance helps cover it

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Sure wish I had set up icloud stuff proper to remotely wipe everything. And that I didn't have steam set up to automatically log in. Anybody know how to like... disable steam remotely? Like how to make the account not recognize that laptop anymore

edit: made steam guard de-authorize everything and changed my bank and email passwords and set up 2-step authentication on my email.

Artreus on
  • Options
    Can't you change the password for steam?

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Aand just did that

edit: Oh, also set icloud to wipe the laptop next time it connects to the internet

Artreus on
  • Options
    Im sorry to hear that Art!

Dan, why should I, a boring guy who does use a password manager need 2SA.

Although I have it on some things (logging into google for the first time on foreign computers and for new payments in my bank account) I see the point of 2SA as a security measure for people who use the same password for everything. As I am also an avid 1password user and, let's face it, I'm not famous or anything, no one is going to specifically target me. Why should I set it up for everything.

• Options
    Also Dan, I don't want to tell you how to suck eggs or whatever but I would also suggest to include token generators for Gmail and the like so you can deauthorise specific machines when they get stolen.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    If you consistently use 1P with long, complex passwords, you're mostly safe.

But at the very least I'd add it to any avenue that could provide access to password resets and the like, primarily your email accounts, which you've already done. Also social sites as they can be avenues for social engineering. I have it on stuff like kickstarter and LogMeIn because they're either tied to my credit card for payment stuff or remote access to my stuff.

The extra couple steps of keying in the auth code on top of a long, random password make me feel better, while also measurably improving the security of my online accounts, with a minor extra step.

Abracadaniel on
This discussion has been closed.