As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TECH THREAD] Fridge, Dishwasher, Stove and Washer/Dryer talk ONLY, please

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Also most apps and services will email you immediately if a logon attempt fails w 2FA turned on.

Think of it like an extra deadbolt on your door. Does it make the door impossible to get through? No, but your average thief is gonna head next door to the guy with just a regular lock. With the sorts of tools used to attempt access to accounts en masse, they're gonna skip over anything they can't get into quickly.

I'm loathe to refer to it, but that XKCD comic had the right of it, if somebody *really* wants access to your accounts for some reason, they're gonna pull your fingernails out, not fret over hacking your password.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    I think that using 2FA for everything is best practice

you should at minimum have it on things that are important and have personal information to you

frankly, you're probably right, on an individual level nobody is going to really seek you out and hack you. But even with one password you're vulnerable to mass password dumps, at which point programs are designed to just auto-login to the accounts passwords are associated with and skim for sensitive-appearing data

• Options
    Oh I didn't realize dan had already answered

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Thank you blaised god

eat that wonton soup

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    wonder nerd powers activate

form of

losing your 2FA object

• Options
    Authy man

Authy

While it is *slightly* less secure than having your tokens only live on your single device, Authy can back the tokens up and allow you to restore them to a new device or new phone number without much hassle, and allows for multi-device authentication (both my iPhone and iPad act as tokens, and there's a Chrome app that acts as a token generator.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Can I walk into a store and buy an iPhone 6plus yet

• Options
    Authy man

Authy

While it is *slightly* less secure than having your tokens only live on your single device, Authy can back the tokens up and allow you to restore them to a new device or new phone number without much hassle, and allows for multi-device authentication (both my iPhone and iPad act as tokens, and there's a Chrome app that acts as a token generator.

yeah that's why I use authy since you discovered it ages ago

because the amount of fucking times I have ever had to call into Blizzard to reset my account from deleting the 2FA app is

well

blizzard and I are on first-name basis now

• Options
    blizzard's first name is Harold, if you were curious

Harold Blizzard

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »

you should at minimum have it on things that are important and have personal information to you

frankly, you're probably right, on an individual level nobody is going to really seek you out and hack you. But even with one password you're vulnerable to mass password dumps, at which point programs are designed to just auto-login to the accounts passwords are associated with and skim for sensitive-appearing data

This is probably the strongest argument for me to enable it personally.

It is however still kinda funny how we protect our digital identity Yet the physical copies are ridiculously insecure since someone could if they really wanted to lift my finger print and steal my phone and go nuts (until I notice).

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular

An Apple store? Probably not.

Your carrier's store? Maybe!

A third party retailer like Target? In some cases, yes! My Target has at least one 6 Plus for every carrier.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

At least in Australia you can go to the Apple website and get them to set you aside an iPhone for when you drop in.

With the plus though you really need to check in at 12:01am each day though because people love big.

• Options
    Double post.

There is, select the phone and plan you want then at the bottom of the page to the left there is a check availability link.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    T4CT wrote: »

This is probably the strongest argument for me to enable it personally.

It is however still kinda funny how we protect our digital identity Yet the physical copies are ridiculously insecure since someone could if they really wanted to lift my finger print and steal my phone and go nuts (until I notice).

two factor finger prints

you have to put your finger print AND ALSO someone else's fingerprint in at the same time

genius startup

• Options
    2FA 2 Finger Authentication boom name nailed, ship it

• Options
    This reminds me.

I should really put in a back up number for my google account.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    But I use google maps and it's pretty much identical to the android one.

I dunno, man

when I switched over to an iPhone, google maps started doing some really annoying shit when it came to GPS navigation

1) Sometimes it'll warn you of an upcoming turn intelligently, right? Like, "In 800 feet, turn right on Baker Street." That's great! I like it when it does that. On the other hand, I don't like it when my phone is like "In 800 feet, turn right." or just "TURN RIGHT." Give me the god danged street name!

2) On Android, as soon as you completed an instruction, it would let you know how long you'd be staying on your current road. Whether it was half mile or 213 miles (I'd get this when making trips home from college), the GPS was letting you know when you'd need to pay attention to it again. Doesn't happen on the iPhone! Not for me, at least. Especially frustrating when I'm driving in an area I'm unfamiliar with, because...

3) It keeps giving me the god danged instructions half a second later than I could have executed them. I'll be SITTING at a red light to go straight, and it'll tell me I needed to turn left after the light's changed and I'm in the intersection. FFFFFFF

Machwing on
    l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    im mildly shocked at how backordered iPhone 6's still are. still a month long wait list for a Plus

This is always the case with Apple phones. You have high demand coupled with an onus to keep it that way by trickling out the product and making the owners feel really special when they get one. It works great with the iPhone and other products like the original Nintendo Wii. Keeps the company in the news as well even weeks or months after release!

The plus had production problems. If they could sell more, they would

• Options
    Also I don't use 2fa because that shit is fucking tedious. I log into things roughly 8 million times a day.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I just use 2fa on stuff that I'd be fucked if I lost control over, like Gmail. It's pretty painless

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Also I don't use 2fa because that shit is fucking tedious. I log into things roughly 8 million times a day.

Nah it's not so bad since you can be like

This computer is okay

And then you don't need to authenticate on that computer

But then that protects you from people logging in on not your computer

Unless you're logging into things roughly 8 million times a day on a million devices

poo
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Hm. Facebook messenger isn't working for me. Keeps searching for network. Resetting my phone didn't work. Reinstalling app didn't work. Turning data off and on didn't work

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Machwing wrote: »
    But I use google maps and it's pretty much identical to the android one.

I dunno, man

when I switched over to an iPhone, google maps started doing some really annoying shit when it came to GPS navigation

1) Sometimes it'll warn you of an upcoming turn intelligently, right? Like, "In 800 feet, turn right on Baker Street." That's great! I like it when it does that. On the other hand, I don't like it when my phone is like "In 800 feet, turn right." or just "TURN RIGHT." Give me the god danged street name!

2) On Android, as soon as you completed an instruction, it would let you know how long you'd be staying on your current road. Whether it was half mile or 213 miles (I'd get this when making trips home from college), the GPS was letting you know when you'd need to pay attention to it again. Doesn't happen on the iPhone! Not for me, at least. Especially frustrating when I'm driving in an area I'm unfamiliar with, because...

3) It keeps giving me the god danged instructions half a second later than I could have executed them. I'll be SITTING at a red light to go straight, and it'll tell me I needed to turn left after the light's changed and I'm in the intersection. FFFFFFF

I would update as none of that stuff happens to me.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Ay yo, I'm getting my first android phone (moto x) tomorrow and was wondering if there was a list going around of aps I should get.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Ay yo, I'm getting my first android phone (moto x) tomorrow and was wondering if there was a list going around of aps I should get.

A couple that I like:
    - Better Open With
    - LinkBubble
    - Pushbullet
    - SwiftKey keyboard
    - Muzei Live Wallpaper (I alternate between NASA APOD and Studio Ghibli art)
    - Zedge (ring tones and wallpapers)
    - PocketCasts for podcasts
    - MightyText for desktop SMS (iMessage lite)
    - PowerToggles for toggles everywhere!

工事中
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Pushbullet seems neat but it's deffo something that's more powerful on Android vs iOS.

I'm thinkin about maybe getting one of deeez

MvLvH7g.png

I don't need 24/7 recordings but I think it would probably make me feel a little bit better about our apt. (we just had a rash of car break-ins, but typically the complex doesn't close the entrance gates during the day, so literally anybody could drive in)

The integration with IFTT seems like it could really open it up to all kinds of use cases, and having it as a self-contained dealy (has a rechargeable battery that will last for months, allegedly)

I could hook it to arm itself whenever I start my car, for example, an then disarm itself when it sees I've arrived back home.

(oh neat, you can push the recordings to Dropbox or Box or other storage if you need to save them long-term, using IFTT)

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Also Google announced their new Inbox app for Android & iOS & Web???

It seems like maybe it could be good???

Someone send me an invite pls???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzNTjpUMOp4&list=UUK8sQmJBp8GCxrOtXWBpyEA

(hopefully they're putting the team behind Sparrow to good use RIP Sparrow)

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Dan, thank you for putting me on to the Back To Work podcast. I'm 3 episodes in and it's great!

Project management is a great interest of mine and when I get some time I'm going to write up a response to your GTD blog post

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    oh nooooo

my blog

covered in dust, so infrequently updated, RIP

I'm super behind on B2W cause it used to be my go to podcast for my work commute, but now that that commute is 5 minutes vs almost a half hour, I've got a backlog of episodes.

Starting around episode 95 they kind of do a "refresher course" on GTD that can be good to listen to.

Way of the Future.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Pushbullet seems neat but it's deffo something that's more powerful on Android vs iOS.

I'm thinkin about maybe getting one of deeez

MvLvH7g.png

I don't need 24/7 recordings but I think it would probably make me feel a little bit better about our apt. (we just had a rash of car break-ins, but typically the complex doesn't close the entrance gates during the day, so literally anybody could drive in)

The integration with IFTT seems like it could really open it up to all kinds of use cases, and having it as a self-contained dealy (has a rechargeable battery that will last for months, allegedly)

I could hook it to arm itself whenever I start my car, for example, an then disarm itself when it sees I've arrived back home.

(oh neat, you can push the recordings to Dropbox or Box or other storage if you need to save them long-term, using IFTT)

Yeah I read about this yesterday, did you see the one about the outside light? I want one of those plus a homeboy inside.

• Options
    yep! both are pretty clever alternatives to Dropcam

• Options
    Connected home stuff should get p cool over the next couple years

I'm worried about IFTT's future though, like, where/how do they make money to continue to operate

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    oh nooooo

my blog

covered in dust, so infrequently updated, RIP

I'm super behind on B2W cause it used to be my go to podcast for my work commute, but now that that commute is 5 minutes vs almost a half hour, I've got a backlog of episodes.

Starting around episode 95 they kind of do a "refresher course" on GTD that can be good to listen to.

Way of the Future.

that podcast set from 95 on is good

also i started GTD again after falling off again because my life is a fucking mess

poo
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I'm starting right at square one, but I've got the time on my commutes to get through it relatively quickly.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    Bought two Moto X's today. They are set to show up on Tuesday. I don't think I'll go with a case, but I am going to get some screen protectors. I'm so excited!

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Connected home stuff should get p cool over the next couple years

I'm worried about IFTT's future though, like, where/how do they make money to continue to operate

They are cruising on VC money right now, just picked up $30 million in August.

I am 99% sure they are angling for a massive buyout.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    Hm. Facebook messenger isn't working for me. Keeps searching for network. Resetting my phone didn't work. Reinstalling app didn't work. Turning data off and on didn't work
    Bought two Moto X's today. They are set to show up on Tuesday. I don't think I'll go with a case, but I am going to get some screen protectors. I'm so excited!

I got an otter box for my note 4 which makes me feel like I'm carrying my car around.

I love it

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I did all sorts of crazy shit to the facebook app before finally settling on the fact that they spun Messenger off into a separate app, even though it ties pretty heavily into the facebook app

updating Messenger fixed it : [

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
This discussion has been closed.