Options

[TECH THREAD] Fridge, Dishwasher, Stove and Washer/Dryer talk ONLY, please

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    dan will you just be my secretary

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I'm barely my own secretary, I leave it to the technology to do the heavy lifting.

Now, if you didn't use Evernote and preferred a more traditional nested folder structure (if you're paranoid about storing stuff in the cloud with a service like Evernote), stuff like Hazel for OS X can do all kinds of cool stuff. I've heard of people setting it up where they download PDFs to a single folder, and have a handful of Hazel rules that can
    - determine the source URL the PDF was downloaded from
    - scan the contents of the PDF to look for key words like your account number with a utility company
    - move and rename the file to it's final location without any further interaction

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I really need to do stuff like that, especially with this new semester starting. Maybe use my phone to scan in and organize all my class stuff

...the OSX file structure is honestly still giving me a bit of trouble though

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Eh, make a folder in your Home folder or on your desktop and have everything live there.

There's also an app I've been meaning to look at called Yep that kind of bills itself as an iTunes for documents, inasmuch that it scans your Mac for compatible documents (or just folders you define) and does its best to organize them contextually without sticking them into a proprietary system like Evernote or DevonTHINK, etc. or moving them around. (Though optionally it will build a file folder structure within your Documents folder)

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    ManishtushuManishtushu Registered User regular
    I really do want a scanner like that ScanSnap, but wow is that expensive for a scanner.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Guys the discovery of my entire day has been the use of /ponies, /bikeshed and /shydino in hangouts

Why do we use Lync instead of Hangouts for messages, I want to destroy the lives of my coworkers

Cause your work, like several of the places I've worked really, really, really like Microsoft products.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I have a nexus 6.

I love it

But they weren't joking, this thing is massive.

• Options
    I really do want a scanner like that ScanSnap, but wow is that expensive for a scanner.

Check out Doxie's product lineup. They're not as convenient as they don't have a sheet feeder like the SnacSnap S1300i (the mid-grade model I have) but if you're not scanning a ton of stuff they're decent.

• Options
    Mmmmm snacksnap....

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    New service. You snap a picture of something you're craving and it gets delivered to your house.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    New service. You snap a picture of something you're craving and it gets delivered to your house.

this is pretty feasible in cities where amazon now does food delivery

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    So, has anyone had issues with a computer not showing up on their home router? I keep having these really weird WiFi-related issues with my desktop and it's really frustrating.

According to our router, there is only one device currently connected to WiFi - my phone. But I'm logged into the router on my desktop, have an allocated IP address, and am using the internet, even though it's running at a snail's pace. Meanwhile, my phone is running Speedtest.net and giving me full connection speeds. o.O

Any ideas on what could be causing this? Do I need to just restart my computer every day?

Edit: Restarting the router fixed the issue. Hm...

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    One of my co workers got a nexus 6

It is too big

What.the.hell were you thinking, google

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I like my Nexus 5, but I already consider that too big

The current big phone trend is not for me. Hopefully small phones become cool by the time I need a replacement

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    pretty sure the reasoning for the n6 was "oh hey i guess the note 4 is doing okay, why not make one of those too".

Which works fine until you make it the only thing you sell.

• Options
    I like my Nexus 5, but I already consider that too big

The current big phone trend is not for me. Hopefully small phones become cool by the time I need a replacement

You'll probably be ok, the Z3 Compact is an amazing phone and is the size of a 4S (a little bigger but meh)

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I mean the Nexus 6 is basically a Moto X but bigger. I doubt Motorola was gonna build a totally new phone that overlapped with their current devices.

Having said that, my brother just got a Droid Turbo. He was all excited about the Nexus 6 but held an iPhone 6+ and realized the Nexus 6 was gonna be way too big.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    best Twitter app for Android

go

• Options
    Evernote just put out a new scanner app

P cool stuff, and it's free!
    Evernote Scannable by Evernote
    https://appsto.re/us/mVQP0.i

• Options
    MrMonroe wrote: »

go

Fenix if you don't care about gifs playing

• Options
    BUT the guy who does Falcon Pro has been posting screenshots because he's completely remaking the app and it looks like it'll be the best once it's done.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

here is me with my 3 scanner apps

a friend looked at my phone and was like holy shit how do you have so many apps

but then i am thinking

how do you not... (i am an addict / slave to my phone help me)

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    In other news, a Nexus Player update in my quest to write something longer about it

It works really well! It works excellent with Plex (except I'm still working on getting my Cloud Sync files to work properly)

Voice search doesn't work with Netflix at all :( hopefully Netflix updates to support that

I rooted it and put SixAxis on it which lets me use a PS3 controller instead of buying the Asus one so I can play the controller games, and I bought Goat Simulator over christmas when it was like a dollar so naturally I loaded that up. First launch it froze, after that it worked perfectly.

In general it still feels like it's not quite finished (hardware wise it's fine except not support MicroSD, I more mean software), but I like it lotssssss. Feels like what the Ouya could have been, in all the right ways.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular

I would be bummed about this being iOS only but hey, I guess there IS a reason the iPad mini has a camera after all

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Artreus wrote: »

I would be bummed about this being iOS only but hey, I guess there IS a reason the iPad mini has a camera after all

I was too but honestly I've been using Scanbot today and it's cross platform and pretty great soooooo

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    its iOS only? lame

oh well staying with camscanner then

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular

go

I like Talon a lot.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Processor, motherboard and PSU arrived, waiting on the cast now. The rest can wait awhile, especially the video cards. Looking forward to finally trying out an SLI setup, though

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »

go

Fenix if you don't care about gifs playing

I recently switched to Fenix and it is absolutely terrific.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I still rock Plume because it supports multiple accounts with Tweetdeck-style columns and Facebook.

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    its iOS only? lame

oh well staying with camscanner then

Scanbot is an excellent cross platform alternative

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Hey, you know that drawer you have? The one with the cables and the chargers and the small plastic bits that you keep because "I dunno, I might need it some day. I don't know what it is, exactly, but I might need it"?

Today was that day! Two problems solved by invoking The Drawer! Vindication!

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Ugh, have all of my components sitting at the table, of course it's the case that gets delivered via UPS, so it arrived Friday morning, so of course it won't be delivered until Monday evening.

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    I have a nexus 6.

I love it

But they weren't joking, this thing is massive.

I have a nexus 6 as well and already broke the screen. Not use to the phone falling out of my pocket, but this one does too easily.

On that note anyone know where to fix a nexus 6 screen?

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Ugh, have all of my components sitting at the table, of course it's the case that gets delivered via UPS, so it arrived Friday morning, so of course it won't be delivered until Monday evening.

I'm about to have the exact opposite experience. Gonna get my new case days before anything that goes inside.

• Options
    I mostly just hate UPS. They're definitely the weakest amongst all of their competitors.

Two packages shipped the same day, one from New York, one from New Jersey. The NJ one takes took about 24 hours to make it to Orlando. the NY one took nearly triple that.

• Options
    UPSUPS What can I do for you? Handling Your GoodsRegistered User regular
    I mostly just hate UPS. They're definitely the weakest amongst all of their competitors.

Two packages shipped the same day, one from New York, one from New Jersey. The NJ one takes took about 24 hours to make it to Orlando. the NY one took nearly triple that.

:(

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular

Takeover the table and just run all of your components there. Plus you can make sure it all works!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    how do these fancy password services work

I think it might be time to stop using slight variations on the same password for pretty much everything

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Brolo wrote: »
    how do these fancy password services work

I think it might be time to stop using slight variations on the same password for pretty much everything

the rough idea is you have the password app, which you only need to know the master password you set for that to get at a list of all of the other usernames/passwords you saved in it. typically they have the ability to let you copy the password to clipboard or see what the password is so you can enter it in. They should also be able to generate strong passwords for you if you want so you can have really strong passwords for all of your accounts, and they also should have the ability to sync to dropbox or something similar so all your info should be available on all of your devices. the app if its worth a damn will have encrypted all of the info you put into it so only you can unlock it with your master password.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
This discussion has been closed.