As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TECH THREAD] Fridge, Dishwasher, Stove and Washer/Dryer talk ONLY, please

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    I have a friend who puts his Note 3 (now 4 after an upgrade) in an Otterbox and somehow manages to fit the thing into his pockets. He mostly wears cargo pants/shorts, but I personally cannot fathom taking an already big phone and making so much bulkier.

I really like the otter box on my note 4. Not only is there the added security, but I don't touch things on the edges accidentally

• Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    I have the same Xfinity/Comcast issue with HBO Go. Comcast allows you to sign in and use the HBO Go apps ONLY on the Xbox and Apple TV. I cannot use it on my Roku, Amazon TV, PS3, or PS4. Browser works fine obviously.

Yes, it's absolutely, goddamn frustrating, stupid, and awful, and I hope the people who make these decisions explode.

Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    hey tech thread

what are some cool app stuff I can do with a fire tv besides netflix & youtube? I tried setting up hbo go but of course xfinity blocks me from using it.

Plex and Fibbage is a p fun party game

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I have a friend who puts his Note 3 (now 4 after an upgrade) in an Otterbox and somehow manages to fit the thing into his pockets. He mostly wears cargo pants/shorts, but I personally cannot fathom taking an already big phone and making so much bulkier.

I really like the otter box on my note 4. Not only is there the added security, but I don't touch things on the edges accidentally

I kind of hate phone cases. Kind of wish I'd ended up getting one for my m7 because it was all dinged up by the end. never broke it (much) though

Can't imagine putting a case on my note 4, it's already enormous.

Though in general it's stopped being a "huge phone" to me and is now just a phone since I'm used to it. Only have problems with its size in a couple pairs of pants

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »

I kind of hate phone cases. Kind of wish I'd ended up getting one for my m7 because it was all dinged up by the end. never broke it (much) though

Though in general it's stopped being a "huge phone" to me and is now just a phone since I'm used to it. Only have problems with its size in a couple pairs of pants

Yeah the note 4 is what I want as far as a phone, but I feel like it has too much display. It gets too close to the edges of the phone. My fingers wrap over when I try to hold it and end up touching things inadvertently. That's where the otter box comes in handy.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

Yeah the note 4 is what I want as far as a phone, but I feel like it has too much display. It gets too close to the edges of the phone. My fingers wrap over when I try to hold it and end up touching things inadvertently. That's where the otter box comes in handy.

Strangely, I have not had that issue. I tend to adjust my grip to let my fingertips lie on the flat edges. I think leaving the sides of the phone flat was the best decision that Samsung could have made. Definitely helps with gripping for me. I also wouldn't trade screen size because now that I've had multi-window I can not go back. I use it all the time.

So battery life on my Moto 360 is better than I expected. Today was my first normal work day since getting it, and I took it off the charger at about 7am. Just dropped it back on the charger at 11:45pm with the battery at 52%. That's with ambient mode off, the Planets watchface, and it getting pushed notifications from everything as they come in. So I could have reasonably gotten two very full days out of it. Not so bad.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    My Nexus Player just showed up :)

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Well, my parts arrived. And I have like an hour and a half before I have to get ready for work.

I have like two hours before I have to get ready for work.

I should probably wait.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    T4CT wrote: »
    My Nexus Player just showed up :)
    Lemme know how Plex runs on it

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Say, smart people, is there anyway to disable this stupid fucking laptop from going to the home Windows 8 screen whenever I make an obscure motion on the touchpad that interrupts whatever the fuck I'm doing?

It's simple enough to hit the Windows button and go back to whatever I was doing, but it's starting to become tedious.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Say, smart people, is there anyway to disable this stupid fucking laptop from going to the home Windows 8 screen whenever I make an obscure motion on the touchpad that interrupts whatever the fuck I'm doing?

It's simple enough to hit the Windows button and go back to whatever I was doing, but it's starting to become tedious.

it might be the edge swipes

something from here should help if so

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/20992-touchpad-edge-swipes-enable-disable-windows-8-a.html

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Thank you, @Kadith ! I'll look at it once I'm back on my laptop

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    @Abracadaniel thanks for recommending 1password, btw. It's been pretty great so far, some minor issues with websites not filling forms correctly but its easy enough to copy the password from the app itself so it's not too big of a deal. Definitely better than remembering a bajillion different logins at any rate.

• Options
    @Abracadaniel thanks for recommending 1password, btw. It's been pretty great so far, some minor issues with websites not filling forms correctly but its easy enough to copy the password from the app itself so it's not too big of a deal. Definitely better than remembering a bajillion different logins at any rate.

Some sites can be a little tricky depending on how they build their forms. One thing I've heard them recommend is delete the entry in 1Password (after copying the password to the clipboard) and then go through the motions of logging in again and have it create the login over again. Other times you can go into edit the entry in 1Password and click/tap on Web Form Details to see where it's trying to populate fields and with what.

• Options
    nexus player seems cool so far

pairing my DS4 up is proving to be waaaaaay too much of a hassle though, I'm gonna have to pick up a controller for it or an OTG cable to pair it easier

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

Some sites can be a little tricky depending on how they build their forms. One thing I've heard them recommend is delete the entry in 1Password (after copying the password to the clipboard) and then go through the motions of logging in again and have it create the login over again. Other times you can go into edit the entry in 1Password and click/tap on Web Form Details to see where it's trying to populate fields and with what.

Because I am ultra paranoid. I first copy and paste the password into the notes section of the 1password page and then do this just in case I mess something up.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Ok I'm having iphone 5 problems, somebody tell me if this means my phone is whacked or if its just an Apple "thing"

It runs fine until about 40% charge and then starts eating battery until it rapidly hits about 25% and then just shuts the fuck off, even if I'm on a call or writing an email, just booooop. After a few minutes it'll restart with 20+% battery, allow me to unlock it and then shut off, rinse repeat.

It's infuriating

• Options
    Usagi wrote: »
    Ok I'm having iphone 5 problems, somebody tell me if this means my phone is whacked or if its just an Apple "thing"

It runs fine until about 40% charge and then starts eating battery until it rapidly hits about 25% and then just shuts the fuck off, even if I'm on a call or writing an email, just booooop. After a few minutes it'll restart with 20+% battery, allow me to unlock it and then shut off, rinse repeat.

It's infuriating

not a normal thing

check your serial here https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/ you could get yourself a new phone

worth making an appointment anyway just to see if they'll swap it.

• Options
    My new year's resolution, in as much as I have one, is to get my paperless shit together.

Picked up a decent filing cabinet for the must-have physical stuff and I've set up a little space on my desk for my ScanSnap scanner and an inbox. Drop stuff in there throughout the week, then take some time on Saturday or Sunday to scan it all into Evernote, file the must-keep stuff, shred the rest.

Also, since I bumped up the storage in my Drobo (15TB) I'm doing better incremental backups of my Macbook and my PC (on top of using Backblaze for offsite backups)

Got Time Machine plus Carbon Copy Cloner running so I've got solid mirrors of my Macbook in case of emergencies.

Only thing I really need to get my shit together about is photos. I end up taking and subsequently never moving off all the photos on my phone, but having our cat pass away last week made me realize how few photos I had of her, so I wanna get better about it. Thankfully @stareosarus had a bunch, but still sucks.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular

It's infuriating

not a normal thing

check your serial here https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/ you could get yourself a new phone

Muchas gracias Dan
    tumblr_llaj8pj0NW1qclvq3.gif

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i need to go get my phone swapped due to battery

poo
  • Options
    edited January 2015

It's infuriating

not a normal thing

Muchas gracias Dan

wtf0KyVVUK7ba.gif

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    remember that time I totally ignored what you asked, Dan

well I'm gonna find out about Plex right now to make up for it

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

It's infuriating

not a normal thing

Muchas gracias Dan

wtf0KyVVUK7ba.gif

I love these two posts so, so much

conan-barbarian-1982-30.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    So, err... weird thing happened with my HTPC build.

I got the case and the stuff to put in the case. I put that stuff in the case. I hooked up all the wires, including the ones that were really fiddly and hard to get. Then I started it. And now it's installing Ubuntu off a USB drive.

I wasn't expecting that. I mean, I so much wasn't expecting it that I hadn't bothered hooking up a keyboard or mouse. But it appears to be working.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    David_T wrote: »
    So, err... weird thing happened with my HTPC build.

I got the case and the stuff to put in the case. I put that stuff in the case. I hooked up all the wires, including the ones that were really fiddly and hard to get. Then I started it. And now it's installing Ubuntu off a USB drive.

I wasn't expecting that. I mean, I so much wasn't expecting it that I hadn't bothered hooking up a keyboard or mouse. But it appears to be working.

Computers are relatively easy to build anymore. Software and hardware is at a point where we're essentially at plug-'n'-play for most straightforward builds. Every once in a while you'll still run into something that doesn't play nice, but it's generally a matter of just removing the offender from the build, downloading a driver or software update, and reinstalling the part.

jgeis on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    my shiny new iphone6 isnt connecting to my 5ghz wifi, rubbish. according to googz is something with ios8? RUBBISH

• Options
  • Options
    Woah it adds that check out thing if you copy a link from the twitter app

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I don't know man, that kinda seems like the sort of thing you'd say

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    I don't know man, that kinda seems like the sort of thing you'd say

THAT'S WHY IT'S SO SCARY

• Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I see that tweet but has anybody mentioned the Fire Phone is now available unlocked for $189, and that included a year of Prime?

If I was still looking for a phone I'd pick it up at that price, since I always buy Prime anyway. Like a $89 phone in the end with decent specs. Man Amazon fucked up with that.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Fire-Phone-32GB-Unlocked/dp/B00OC0USA6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420661433&sr=8-1&keywords=fire+phone

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    so i went ahead and bought the parts for this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/n7d3jX

and now they're rolling in and aww yeah i'm excited to build a pc again.

edit: NCIX seems to be the slowest though in getting parts out. anyone have any experience with NCIX shipping speed or service?

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options

edit: NCIX seems to be the slowest though in getting parts out. anyone have any experience with NCIX shipping speed or service?

That build is pretty baller, yo.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

That build is pretty baller, yo.

i was originally going to go with a 4790k build, but i've been fortunate to have a bit of extra cash to burn :o

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Guys the discovery of my entire day has been the use of /ponies, /bikeshed and /shydino in hangouts

Why do we use Lync instead of Hangouts for messages, I want to destroy the lives of my coworkers

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    My new year's resolution, in as much as I have one, is to get my paperless shit together.

Picked up a decent filing cabinet for the must-have physical stuff and I've set up a little space on my desk for my ScanSnap scanner and an inbox. Drop stuff in there throughout the week, then take some time on Saturday or Sunday to scan it all into Evernote, file the must-keep stuff, shred the rest.

Also, since I bumped up the storage in my Drobo (15TB) I'm doing better incremental backups of my Macbook and my PC (on top of using Backblaze for offsite backups)

Got Time Machine plus Carbon Copy Cloner running so I've got solid mirrors of my Macbook in case of emergencies.

Only thing I really need to get my shit together about is photos. I end up taking and subsequently never moving off all the photos on my phone, but having our cat pass away last week made me realize how few photos I had of her, so I wanna get better about it. Thankfully stareosarus had a bunch, but still sucks.

@Abracadaniel‌

How you doing this

Evernote mostly?

What is your organization system for Evernote

I want to do this too

poo
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Only thing I really need to get my shit together about is photos. I end up taking and subsequently never moving off all the photos on my phone, but having our cat pass away last week made me realize how few photos I had of her, so I wanna get better about it. Thankfully stareosarus had a bunch, but still sucks.

@Abracadaniel‌

How you doing this

Evernote mostly?

What is your organization system for Evernote

I want to do this too

Well, I have a couple different things set up. I mostly use Evernote as a digital filing cabinet/reference material repository, so I have a handful of notebooks like

Inbox - I have my ScanSnap and Evernote settings configured so everything that gets forwarded, captured on iPhone, or scanned goes here, and I either sort it right there into the appropriate notebook or do it on the weekend along with any physical filing
    Product Information - downloaded or scanned-in manuals for appliances, warranties, photos/scans of serial numbers, etc
    Software - using my special Evernote email address, I forward any receipts/software registrations/license key info here, as well as copying it into 1Password, since it can never hurt to have that original receipt hanging around
    Pet Info scanned copies of vet bills/paperwork/test results; this one's fairly new since our cat had been healthy up until a few weeks ago, but it will be nice to have our other kitten's paperwork super easy to share with a vet or whoever
    Home Info - stuff like our lease agreement, confirmation of utility hookups, etc go here, anything I might need to refer back to when dealing with our lease (for example, took a photo at our old apartment from when the landlord's handyman tore up a chunk of carpet doing some work)
    Automotive Records - all the service records for my old Jetta and my new Mazda3 are in here
    Travel - travel's actually a 'stack' in Evernote terminology, and I have notebooks for upcoming trips. I've got one for PAXEast 2015 with our ticket confirmation, and when we book a flight/get hotel details I'll add them there (as well as adding them to TripIt)

Then on top of those I use a service called FileThis that has hooks into all kinds of services like banks, utility companies, Amazon, etc. Once a week it calls out to all those services and sites to look for new bank statements, utility bills, etc and downloads the PDF versions to their own notebooks. Beats having to visit sites to grab them manually or get them in the mail and scan them, and it's nice to know I've got copies of everything.

The best part is since I have a Premium subscription to Evernote, they OCR everything for me. I don't bother much with tags in Evernote, though I have heard of other people using them compared to Notebooks (similar to Gmail's big revelation back in the day that an email could exist in more than one "bucket" by using labels) and I know that since everything (including any PDFs I upload) are searchable, I know I can find damn near anything I want with a couple keystrokes.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Oh, and I also use TextExpander to make sure the individual notes have clear names, just in case OCR fails for whatever reason, so everything follows the format:

2015-01-07 - [description of the thing]

with the date being whatever is most relevant for it (i.e. if I get my car serviced on Monday I'll put that as the date vs whatever day I scanned it in and added to Evernote)

• Options
    Getting all that set up was part of my plan for the 2 weeks before my job started

But now I am feverish and just want to lay in bed for 2 weeks

poo
This discussion has been closed.