Options

No one expects the [Dragon Age: Inquisition]

• Options
    number13number13 Registered User regular
    I really love this game, but it's really trying like every aspect of my OCD'ing when it comes to games. I have been in the Hinterlands for like 7 hours straight, and while I certainly know that I can come back any time and complete things, I have been scouring the map to complete quests and discover things. And just when I think I'm whittling them down, I find another goddamn note that opens another quest STOP LEAVING NOTES ALL OVER THE FOREST. It's the same problem I have with Bethesda games.

Also, I found a dragon in the Hinterlands by mistake, and laughed. Cause I knew I was gonna get annihilated, but I thought I would give it a shot anyway. I think it took somewhere around two rounds of breathing fire to kill my entire party? Didn't even have to land on the ground...

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Yeah for fucking communists.

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    It still rumbles my johnnies that nobody wears their swords on their belts

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

Back sword sheathes are just something you have to accept in fantasy

Its stupid but you've just gotta get over it

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I always played origins and 2 holding down tab so this seems like an improvement

I guess I am weird in that I prefer holding down tab.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I have to thank SWTOR for curing some of my OCD about having to finish everything. I was able to leave the Hinterlands only partially completed and only felt a slight OCD twinge at it! I'll come back and finish it later.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I have to thank SWTOR for curing some of my OCD about having to finish everything. I was able to leave the Hinterlands only partially completed and only felt a slight OCD twinge at it! I'll come back and finish it later.

Is that really a victory then? :P

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

it would bother me a lot less if there were actual sheathes

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »

Is that really a victory then? :P

Yes, kinda! I can put off my OCD temporarily, that's a victory!

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

it would bother me a lot less if there were actual sheathes

wizard magnets man

embrace them

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Hawkstone wrote: »
    I am definitley experiencing some bewilderment by the size of the world at the moment. I just sort of wandered off with my starting party and got very, very lost in killing random mobs and picking pretty flowers. Had to go back to the starting camp and reestablish what the hell I am doing out here. I also worry that I have already missed a bunch of stuff because I wandered off. I didnt really explore Haven at all before going to the war table. Is there a way to get back there ?

Yes, you can jump back to Haven whenever you want via the world map

In fact, you should do this on a regular basis to drop off research, upgrade equipment, and assign operations

ahhhh So that is how you craft and upgrade! You know simetimes I miss the days when a game came with at least a little bit of a manual to get you rolling.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

Also the fact that all the weapons in the Dragon Age are at least 50% bigger than they ought to be, trying to wear a seventeen pound sword with a blade as wide as your face on your hip might wreck your posture, chronic back pain all over

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Hobnail wrote: »

Also the fact that all the weapons in the Dragon Age are at least 50% bigger than they ought to be, trying to wear a seventeen pound sword with a blade as wide as your face on your hip might wreck your posture, chronic back pain all over

Eeeh

Claymores were totally that long

The width is wrong and the usage isn't right, but they were crazy huge swords

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

If you live in time where you need a sword on your hip you're probably not getting past the age of 35 anyway so it all works out in the end!

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I am definitley experiencing some bewilderment by the size of the world at the moment. I just sort of wandered off with my starting party and got very, very lost in killing random mobs and picking pretty flowers. Had to go back to the starting camp and reestablish what the hell I am doing out here. I also worry that I have already missed a bunch of stuff because I wandered off. I didnt really explore Haven at all before going to the war table. Is there a way to get back there ?

In fact, you should do this on a regular basis to drop off research, upgrade equipment, and assign operations

ahhhh So that is how you craft and upgrade! You know simetimes I miss the days when a game came with at least a little bit of a manual to get you rolling.

Yeah, it's sort of easily missed but after you wake up in Haven, there are a few sidequests to get you acquainted with the various people there (requisitions, merchant, potion maker, smith)

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I am not very far into DA2, currently trying to make money to get on an expedition to make money. RPG logic!

I was very "ehhh" with the first bit
    Tutorial/intro section was uninteresting (though it was cool to see Flemeth and I loved her hair (not so much her boob window)) and the "getting into Kirkwall" bit was... odd. I guess it was meant to be a tutorial on how to accept/complete quests? Just felt quite weird and pointless. And I kind of expected the first part of the game would be doing that year of work but nope we just jump past that. Also weird.
    but as soon as I actually got into Kirkwall I started to see things I like. I like Varric and Aveline, I like not getting ambushed when I travel, I like the 'junk' system in the inventory. Combat is okay, less tedious than Origins, though everything feels kind of floaty and weightless. Also Hawke and her sister have terrible posture when standing around.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

Eeeh

No I mean everything, even like daggers are huge and fat, a letter opener would probably look like a friggin Ka-Bar

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options

Yeah, it's sort of easily missed but after you wake up in Haven, there are a few sidequests to get you acquainted with the various people there (requisitions, merchant, potion maker, smith)

HAY

When I woke up in Haven I had this weird sort of snazzy white suit on with some fancy ass buckles and what not all over. But then when the cutscene ended I was back in my regular outfit. Anyone know what that was? It wasn't any special DLC stuff, I know that.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

Eeeh

Claymore means a wide variety of things

You are right in that some were as long as fantasy two handers, though

Generally they weren't anywhere near as wide as most fantasy swords, but in length there were occasionally some very long blades

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I would imagine that dark age and medieval weaponry rarely followed a standard median of size and nomenclature

but I'm not exactly an expert on this sort of thing, I just have some experience with how inexact many observations were even just a few hundred years ago

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular

If you live in time where you need a sword on your hip you're probably not getting past the age of 35 anyway so it all works out in the end!

well historically the people were much smaller too...so proportionally it isnt so bad.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    when europeans landed over in north america, they ended up calling a lot of birds "ducks"

weird stuff like that

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

HAY

When I woke up in Haven I had this weird sort of snazzy white suit on with some fancy ass buckles and what not all over. But then when the cutscene ended I was back in my regular outfit. Anyone know what that was? It wasn't any special DLC stuff, I know that.

It's the casual clothing outfit I think. You'll see it again during war room meetings, and probably elsewhere. I haven't gotten much further past entering the first big open area.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    am I wrong to think that the handles on dragon age two-handed swords are like, freakishly long?

• Options
    Solar wrote: »

Eeeh

Claymore means a wide variety of things

You are right in that some were as long as fantasy two handers, though

Generally they weren't anywhere near as wide as most fantasy swords, but in length there were occasionally some very long blades

Yeah I just mean two handed swords

I've pimped this channel before but if you want to learn more about historical weapons in a fun and easy way check out this dude's videos:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt14YOvYhd5FCGCwcjhrOdA

One thing I learned is that the "two handed/bastard/longsword" distinctions largely weren't really around, at least not outside treatises

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Hey, uh, by the way

Those Shards that are scattered around various explorable areas are related to another, larger quest.

I am mildly concerned by the number of Shards I've already expended and haven't even finished a third of the questline.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Hey, uh, by the way

Those Shards that are scattered around various explorable areas are related to another, larger quest.

I am mildly concerned by the number of Shards I've already expended and haven't even finished a third of the questline.

Are you talking about
    the temple in the Forbidden Oasis?

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »

HAY

It's the casual clothing outfit I think. You'll see it again during war room meetings, and probably elsewhere. I haven't gotten much further past entering the first big open area.

Dang. I was kinda hoping it was my incredibly fancy Qunari-only underoos that would only show up again once I was sexing my man Dorian.

• Options
    am I wrong to think that the handles on dragon age two-handed swords are like, freakishly long?

No, I think they're actually supposed to be really long.

• Options

Some of them were that long, some weren't

• Options
    Dubh wrote: »
    I would imagine that dark age and medieval weaponry rarely followed a standard median of size and nomenclature

but I'm not exactly an expert on this sort of thing, I just have some experience with how inexact many observations were even just a few hundred years ago

Yes! Longsword is a pretty useless term, for example, and wasn't really used at the time. Claymore basically has been shorthand for a Scottish Sword for centuries, from a two handed heavy blade to a basket hilted single hander and everything in between.

The only sword name that is usually used with any accuracy is the Zweihander, but it's not generally portrayed that accurately.

On the other hand, fantasy swords, so no biggie.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »

Yes! Longsword is a pretty useless term, for example, and wasn't really used at the time. Claymore basically has been shorthand for a Scottish Sword for centuries, from a two handed heavy blade to a basket hilted single hander and everything in between.

The only sword name that is usually used with any accuracy is the Zweihander, but it's not generally portrayed that accurately.

On the other hand, fantasy swords, so no biggie.

You can also apply this to most shield terms, a lot of that is just made up for fantasy/rpgs

• Options
    you have know how happy I feel when I suss out something like that correctly

like, hey, maybe I learned something in school

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Hey, uh, by the way

Are you talking about
    the temple in the Forbidden Oasis?

Yep

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    you have know how happy I feel when I suss out something like that correctly

like, hey, maybe I learned something in school

You know I have always thought that the way that we teach history in the Western world (which is not to say it's not like this in other places, just that I have little experience of their teaching methods) is very focused on the idea that this happened at this time in this place and from that we can infer this about a certain period or whatever.

Whereas actually what would be more useful is to use that to teach people the skill of how to view history and approach the past in an academic fashion, which is something one only really gets at University level.

What I am getting at here is that I have always considered you, forum poster @Dubh‌ , to have a very good grasp of the skill of how to approach history in an academic fashion so

take that as you will

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    The thing I want from high fantasy games is ridiculous and overbearing and impractical weaponry

Dragon Age is usually good about this.

• Options
    @Solar you're too sweet

it's a fucking shame there isn't any work for me in history, well, there's not much of a chance for it
    hence why I'm not doing grad school

and why I want to get writing stories, maybe for video games if I'm lucky

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    @Solar you're too sweet

it's a fucking shame there isn't any work for me in history, well, there's not much of a chance for it
    hence why I'm not doing grad school

and why I want to get writing stories, maybe for video games if I'm lucky

Dubh if you write video games with a sense of history you will be my hero forever

And really

isn't that what we all want from life

• Options
    there's is so much stuff that can pumped into the history of a setting

for me, it's fun work

and helps to create a world that makes sense

even developing the boring stuff about what piece of land produces what resource is grounds for creating conflicts

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    I'm glad I don't know a whole lot about historical combat, or I'd probably be annoyed at everything in fantasy games.

Like I've done enough western martial arts to be annoyed at the lack of throat protection, and that alone is like a splinter in my eye for every game.

If I knew enough about the weaponry itself for it to peeve me I might not even be able to play fantasy games.

This discussion has been closed.