kittens with mus[chat]hes

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    unless you're rolling in filthy lucre, there's little reason to go past $30ish for a main at a nice restaurant, yeah

there will always be exceptions, or exceptional "experience" dining that is kind of a different thing (like you get thirteen weird courses of foams and ribbons and particulates and what have you), but i agree that diminishing returns will kick in past that

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Greeper wrote: »
    One time I went to a place where the food was in the 30 dollar range.

Just once, I mean god, that was a lot. It was really delicious food though! So.

ive been to a fair few places where the price was £retardo and my main takeaway has always been the sudden realisation halfway through that i really want mcdonalds

3fpohw4n01yj.png
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    restaurants make a ton of money on drinks anyway so that's where most of their profit is

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    how do you even enforce a rule banning discussion of compensation

that's pretty pie-in-the-sky aside from social engineering tactics

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    restaurants make a ton of money on drinks anyway so that's where most of their profit is

this is why whenever I go on a hot date I order the bottomless breadsticks and the cheapest drink on the menu

take that, society

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

ive been to a fair few places where the price was £retardo and my main takeaway has always been the sudden realisation halfway through that i really want mcdonalds
    when i was a young kid (6? maybe?) my parents took me and my brother to a nice restaurant.
    i wasn't interested in any of the food on the menu, so I asked for a hotdog.
    They didn't serve hotdogs.
    But I got a $40 hotdog.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

you have a shitty hr department

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    unless you're rolling in filthy lucre, there's little reason to go past $30ish for a main at a nice restaurant, yeah

there will always be exceptions, or exceptional "experience" dining that is kind of a different thing (like you get thirteen weird courses of foams and ribbons and particulates and what have you), but i agree that diminishing returns will kick in past that

the fat duck is like this but it basically turns out that having loads of ridiculous bullshit courses is a load of bullshit

heston blumenthal reported

where my chips at

3fpohw4n01yj.png
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Are you guys really going to restaurants that don't list the prices on the menus they hand to you? I don't remember the last time I was in that situation.

that has only happened to me at restaurants where they do a fixed-price multiple-course meal that's always going to be tremendously expensive anyway.

I'm so over tasting menus. I'd rather just get what I want and spend less. The last time we did a tasting menu it was mid 3 figures and nothing was amazing until I asked them to bring my wife a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup instead of the cheese plate. Best thing of the night and, hands down, the best grilled cheese and tomato soup I ever tasted, but was it worth that much? I don't know. I'd rather have had that for $50 and skipped the poached pear and perch salad or watermelon and leek gazpacho. . .

but yes french cuisine is tragically boring and i get taken to these nice restaurants and all the entrees are like, steaks in a sauce and i just want some french fries and a burg or something
    #firstworldproblems

• GreeperGreeper Registered User regular

you have a shitty hr department

I'm in kind of a weird situation where once I graduate I want to work where I interned. But I have NO IDEA how much they get paid.

And I was paid kind of a lot as an intern. So I kind of want to ask someone how much I should be asking for, but also don't??

You know?

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    My meals at high end dining establishments are priceless memories - the fact that I dropped 400-600 on a meal for two is nothing compared to the lasting memory of that wonderful meal.

And the fact that I can remember every time I did that is kind of the point. If that became the new normal I think I would have to eat ortolan bunting just so I can get an erection.

Nobody wants that, so you gotta keep up with that steady diet of inexpensive delicious stuff rarely punctuated by the cray cray dining experiences.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I agree that going much over 30 an entree is normally a waste. But there are places where it is totally worth it IMO.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I blew 150 at a restaurant once

it was da bes

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    It was not worth that much

next question

sig.gif
    At least 3 of the best things I ever ate were well over $30 an entree and easily worth every penny.

Every burger I've had over $30 was a disaster though.

i had a great $40 filet mignon once

mmmmmmm

it was downtown austin too

i should go back soon

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    The only time where over $30 an entree is ever worth it is like just fantastically well-prepared steak or seafood.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    The best fancy meals are ones your employer pays for

if i can blow $50-100 on a shitty date, i can afford a fancy meal for myself!

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    it was like 5 courses with wine pairing tho

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    So Ghibli's Princess Kaguya is opening in seattle in 4 days

aaand it's got 100% on rotten tomatoes

aaand it looks crazy pretty

Super tempted to go see it

http://youtu.be/PZK2y9NAaNo

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    Mim wrote: »
    MIM what movie did you watch

also will you call this girl for me

<.<

will you be my breakup surrogate (it's only 3 dates but still awkward)

I watched Nymphomaniac Pt 2. I had originally watched Pt. 1 with Sarks but I ventured into this void on my own.

I never want to have sex again.

and sure. I've been drinking and I don't know her. What do you want me to say.

tell her she's cool but i'm not feeling it. don't mention that on getting naked and doing naked stuff, i just wasn't that into it even though that's the reason

also i kind of thought maybe that's what you watched

i only watched part of pt 2, but they were both awful

wait, you ...got naked and did naked stuff with her?

we did. i am no longer pure enough for jesus.

and...because of that you don't want to be with her anymore? :o

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

Your mom was like 5 courses with wine pairing.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    At least 3 of the best things I ever ate were well over $30 an entree and easily worth every penny.

Burger doesn't upscale very well.

A big part of what makes a burger so good is the pure, basic, juicy/greasy simplicity of it.

Once you throw the waygu beef on the artisanal brioche with the heirloom tomatoes and the rare breed bacon and the truffle oil and the...

fuck this, gimme shake shack or Harlem Shake.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

I hope you got at least a reacharound from the wait staff too

there is this huge temptation to basically make the burger itself into a basically crap mashed up steak its like NO THAT IS NOT WAT U SHOULD DO

omg

3fpohw4n01yj.png
    syndalis wrote: »

Burger doesn't upscale very well.

A big part of what makes a burger so good is the pure, basic, juicy/greasy simplicity of it.

Once you throw the waygu beef on the artisanal brioche with the heirloom tomatoes and the rare breed bacon and the truffle oil and the...

fuck this, gimme shake shack or Harlem Shake.

Rare upscales burgers really well imo, but none are even close to $30.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    So Ghibli's Princess Kaguya is opening in seattle in 4 days

aaand it's got 100% on rotten tomatoes

aaand it looks crazy pretty

Super tempted to go see it

http://youtu.be/PZK2y9NAaNo

Omg just saw the trailer yesterday
    it looks goooood

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »

when i was a young kid (6? maybe?) my parents took me and my brother to a nice restaurant.
    i wasn't interested in any of the food on the menu, so I asked for a hotdog.
    They didn't serve hotdogs.
    But I got a $40 hotdog.

We did this for my Grandparents 50th except the thing was the only person who gave a shit about going to a $100/plate place was the lone family member who planned it.

My grandparents were very much camping and fishing outdoorsy people who clearly found the menu choices to be shit and the entire experience to be a waste of time. They much rather would have had the family out on the lake all day and then ended it with a fish fry.

The entire thing was basically an excuse for said family member to feel superior. The whole thing was kind of disgusting in retrospect.

all restaurants should have a burger + fries option
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM3hMt0fk98

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    My father in law basically pouts the whole time like a petulant child if you go anywhere but Peter Lugers for a celebration. We gave up a long time ago, so now we go to Peter Lugers 4+ times a year to appease him.

@Kana, it's currently on at my local indie cinema and I am probably going to go see it before the weekend

Yesterday I went and saw the documentary on Ghibli, the Kingdom of Dreams and Madness

It was good? Very obviously a kind of fluff piece, no hard-hitting revelations about the company or its people, but it did possess a kind of elegiac quality to it, with everything being in reference to the idea of it being the "final" movies for both directors, etc etc

There's one comment that Miyazaki made in it re: otaku that I want to pull for my own purposes, though

edited October 2014
    My father in law basically pouts the whole time like a petulant child if you go anywhere but Peter Lugers for a celebration. We gave up a long time ago, so now we go to Peter Lugers 4+ times a year to appease him.
    It's not even THAT good.

It's not bad, but it's not in my top 3 for the city.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    someone said something to me in a chat window that made me sad so i just closed facebook without responding

how are we all doing fellow emotionally mature, responsible adults

also the dub on Kaguya sounds like garbage

420 watch subs erry day

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    @elki i guess i can do the daily in an hour

i forget if i did the weekly strike this week... i'll check before it resets

@OnTheLastCastle‌ my man is doing his thing, so this might be longer than an hour. I'll bat you when it's Time.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Tav wrote: »
    someone said something to me in a chat window that made me sad so i just closed facebook without responding

how are we all doing fellow emotionally mature, responsible adults

Tav I'm sorry but the dog from Air Bud is dead

that movie is 17 years old

This discussion has been closed.