As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Payday 2] Ron Perlman joins the crew! THE BIKER PACK available now!

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Lars wrote: »
    Day 10 is out...uh...I think this confirms that the Payday 1 heists had their release bumped up as damage control. Unless they hid something up their sleeve, this is probably not going to go well.
    It's just four meme masks (that require achievements to unlock), new jumping animations, and another achievement safe like Au Ticket.

Looks like it's gone down about as well as could be expected.

Which is to say,
    qjTDfpG.jpg

There's an AMA on the Payday 2 subreddit with Almir tommorrow. Should be interesting.

Suriko on
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Literally laughed for five minutes in a row.

I'm 100% okay with this outro.

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    yeah that ama is gonna be fun to read. Gonna have to buy some more popcorn

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    The Completely OVERKILL Pack safe
    We wanted to release it during Crimefest, but we found a critical issue that Valve are fixing right now. We'll go live with it as soon as possible, most likely in the upcoming week.

So...after all this time, they're finally adding something for the people who bought that $20 pack with prize to be named later. And it's a loot crate. I'm sure that will go over well.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Man I'm glad I'm not invested in this game anymore or my reaction would be more than mild irritation and bemusement at their actions.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Strikor wrote: »
    The Completely OVERKILL Pack safe
    We wanted to release it during Crimefest, but we found a critical issue that Valve are fixing right now. We'll go live with it as soon as possible, most likely in the upcoming week.

So...after all this time, they're finally adding something for the people who bought that $20 pack with prize to be named later. And it's a loot crate. I'm sure that will go over well.
    They've already datamined that it's weapon skins. Even better: random weapon skins so you may get something you don't even use.

I imagine the "bug" was really "people would be pissed" so they are trying to make it more palatable.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Really (assuming the skins aren't tradable since the secret item was supposed to be "exclusive"), they should just give Completely Overkill Pack owners the full set of 25.

It's kind of bullshit that after a bunch of people bought that limited time pack they went and added in "By the way, that secret item you're getting? It's actually only 1 of 25 items. And you can't have the other 24. Fuck you, completionists."

• Options
    The fact that a new jump animation is a reward for the final day of Crimefest is perhaps more amusing to me than the dumb masks.

Even moreso that the animation looks like this.

That's, um... sure some work, there. Yup.

• Options
    Suriko wrote: »
    The fact that a new jump animation is a reward for the final day of Crimefest is perhaps more amusing to me than the dumb masks.

Even moreso that the animation looks like this.

That's, um... sure some work, there. Yup.

That is laughable.

Literally.

I literally laughed looking at that animation.

I still have a grin on my face.

Did they get the intern to work on that one or what?

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Oh well, market's borked apparently? Sold off the one mint condition rare skin I'll ever get for the price of a broken in one...
    Hopefully they'll all be a couple of cents in a few weeks like in CSGO, anyhow.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    Some recent change to the safehouse?
    np5pvd.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Quothe Almir
    There are several arguments as to why we think stat boosts are OK to have in PAYDAY 2, and here are three; - The game is balanced around the vanilla experience, that is, the game without any DLC. When we add any new difficulties, enemies, features, heists or otherwise, we balance this in relation to the base game. - PAYDAY 2 is a player-versus-environment game. You and your three friends play together against the AI; you lose together and you win together. Any advantage your friends have will only benefit the success of the group. - Making sure that the boosts are balanced in such a way that it doesn't impare on the player's experience. This is an ongoing effort on our side.

We understand that there is a lot of fury, anger and disappointment with us adding this. From an economical standpoint however, completely based on statistics, we can already see that the Black Market update is working as we intended. Going forward, we hope we can convince the parts of the community that resist this change that this was the right decision to do to ensure the stability of OVERKILL as an independent developer and the future growth of PAYDAY 2.

"Vocal minority, go away." as expected. :(

Giving up for the night rather than hanging around any longer. It's just a bunch of generic PR fluff, which is going down about as well as one can imagine.

Suriko on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    We understand that there is a lot of fury, anger and disappointment with us adding this. From an economical standpoint however, completely based on statistics, we can already see that the Black Market update is working as we intended. Going forward, we hope we can convince the parts of the community that resist this change that this was the right decision to do to ensure the stability of OVERKILL as an independent developer and the future growth of PAYDAY 2.

"We went for the cash grab and it worked, going against what we said earlier. Now fuck off!"

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    So has anyone asked if they're still planning on doing paid DLCs now that they have the MT cashflow?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Why would anything change in that department?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Who is Sydney and why do people saying we are getting another female heister

• Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Who is Sydney and why do people saying we are getting another female heister

Australian heister that was promised some time ago.
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    So has anyone asked if they're still planning on doing paid DLCs now that they have the MT cashflow?

https://www.reddit.com/r/paydaytheheist/comments/3q53ms/crimefest_is_over_ama_discussion_with_almir_on/cwc8fqp?context=3

Redthirst on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The fury in that subreddit is amazing to behold.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Hahaha holy shit, they're still planning on doing paid DLC with the micro transactions

Shine on you crazy diamonds, the only depressing part is that they're 100% correct in that "it works"

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    Not for me it doesn't. I'm out, clowns. Going to go buy Vermintide.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Not for me it doesn't. I'm out, clowns. Going to go buy Vermintide.

Hilariously I think this whole thing has done wonders for the Vermintide devs. I was on the fence about it, but I'm strongly considering taking the plunge since I never see myself returning to Payday 2. Or hell, any Overkill game really.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    My question is short and simple: Do you plan to remove microtransactions? In a game that costs 20 euros and has 110 euros worth of DLC microtransactions are unacceptable.

ahahaha this is so contradictory. Tripled in team size? Wonder where all the manpower is directed to.
    also the shenanigans they pulled destroyed any semblance of stable growth of the game.

good luck I guess. They're gonna need it.

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    My question is short and simple: Do you plan to remove microtransactions? In a game that costs 20 euros and has 110 euros worth of DLC microtransactions are unacceptable.

ahahaha this is so contradictory. Tripled in team size? Wonder where all the manpower is directed to.
    also the shenanigans they pulled destroyed any semblance of stable growth of the game.

Additional team members are probably working on their TWD game, and as such they just want to milk Payday as much as possible before abandoning it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Hey, those meme masks don't make themselves.

The weapon rebalance is hilarious as well - you can take down a Dozer on Overkill with one clip of a Mateba or Deagle, and that's with a subpar skillset. One bodyshot kill to all specials. That is fucked up.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't think you understand the manpower and money required to make a half-assed jump animation

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I don't think you understand the manpower and money required to make a half-assed jump animation

...About half an ass's worth?

• Options
    Redthirst wrote: »

Additional team members are probably working on their TWD game, and as such they just want to milk Payday as much as possible before abandoning it.
    This doesn't sound too much an unlikely assessment?

• Options
    Calling it now, when safehouse customisation is finally added, it'll be microtransaction-based (likely tied into the safe/drill system).

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Suriko wrote: »
    Calling it now, when safehouse customisation is finally added, it'll be microtransaction-based (likely tied into the safe/drill system).

For Christ's sake, at this point I wouldn't even mind the microtransactions anymore, especially if it meant that some of us casuals could get some of the better gear or get an infamy level without it taking way too long. But they way they set it up is so shit-tier! In a game with this much random loot and random chance, we didn't NEED more randomness. Use the microtransactions to remove the randomness so you could just pay for a mod or mask you really wanted, and you're set.

That or set it up like they started to do with newer masks or mods, and just link them to achievements or arbitrary kill counts. But not only could they not do that, they also proved how much of a clusterfuck it is without them, since the Crimewave Edition on consoles doesn't have anything linked to trophies or counts. They're ALL random, even the ones that weren't before... it's weapon's grade stupid, pun intended.

I said it earlier in this thread, if your monetization system is set to be worse for the people that actually buy all your DLC, your system is garbage.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Re: random drops, it appears that drills and safes are in a separate loot pool, which drops once every 5 days. Number of heists run or difficulty used makes no difference; it's solely a function of days passed. Whether you get a drill or a safe during that 5-day drop is random, the chances of which are presently unknown. Helps my complaints that it's yet more drops getting in the way of weapon mods, but also means that drills are very unlikely to actually drop.

Edit: Numerous high-profile modders have confirmed they're jumping ship. Then there's this:
    Hi almir, Will payday 2 become a free2play game in the near future?
    As of now we don't have any plans to make it F2P. It all depends on where we are in six months time, a years time, two years time. We try to do what's best for the game.

Why even bother answering? "No. Maybe? Who knows lol."

Going to be interesting to see what happens in the months ahead. It's a very sudden and unashamed purging of an existing dedicated fanbase in hopes that they'll attract a completely new audience.

Suriko on
  • Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    Hah... Classic overkill.

"Its Your fault! not ours! Why do you keep making us hit you! WHY?!"
    "Vocal Minority! by which we mean all these core players which hold up the rest of the game!"

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    You know, I think I wouldn't have a problem with safes & drills if you didn't have to own the DLC the weapons you got came from to use them. I mean, that's just double-dipping and a bit of a dick move, especially if you paid dosh for the drill.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    After Overkill played that "vocal minority" card today, they gained several thousand new negative reviews on Steam, the PaydayMeta subreddit decided to shut down, and a variety of mod makers called it quits for good.

The Long Guide also has a warning across the top of it advising readers to leave a negative review and not spend any money on the game, though I'm not sure if that was added today or earlier during Crimefest.

If Overkill didn't manage to harpoon some particularly lucrative whales with their new business model, I'm wondering how well this will turn out for them now that they're chasing away so much of the dedicated fanbase. Especially since they were so heavily reliant on that fanbase and word of mouth when they were getting off the ground. Their reputation is probably irreparably damaged, but it remains to be seen if it will have an effect on their wallet.

Heck, now that the free weekend is over, SteamDB is saying that currently there are about 14.6k players playing. For reference, the lowest point in all of September (when there was no free weekend and the only new content was the poorly-received Gage Chivalry Pack and later the FBI Files/Captain Winters) was 13k.

Lars on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    This is the first time I've ever left a negative review on Steam

But I feel it was worth it

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Yeah, this was the first negative review I'd ever left as well.

Also, the current playercount is now down to 13.7k. At the rate it's going, I wouldn't be surprised to see it under 12k in a few hours, which will be the lowest it's been in months. And less than a day after the free weekend ended.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I mean, it's certainly a ballsy move. They went full Trump with saying whatever they want, regardless of "public opinion" because clearly they are getting results they like. Maybe it really IS just a vocal minority? They seem to be leaning hard into the microtransactions thing, so maybe someone in a suit showed them a graph and a line going upwards.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Their line of reasoning seems to be that "Well, some people bought drills, so it's a total success!" which is short-sighted, to say the least. They aren't going to be feeling any financial hit yet from people (myself being one of them) who aren't going to buy any future DLC over being completely fed up with that company.

• Options
    The thing is, microtransactions are actually built around the minority supporting the majority. The big spenders who buy drills repeatedly make up for dozens of people who never purchase a single drill. Heck someone who buys four drills a week covers 8 people who skipped buying the latest weapon pack.

So I have no doubt they saw a big bump in their income in the last two weeks, especially since they also get a cut of whenever anyone sells their own drill/safe/skin on the marketplace.

The question is if it will be sustainable (especially since Overkill seemed to have just focused on the drill-buying minority and said 'fuck off' to everyone else). Payday Weapon Skins are inherently less valuable than CSGO/TF2 weapon skins because less people play Payday and in Payday your only opportunity to show off your skin is to the (maximum of) three other people in your party. Yet Overkill is trying to charge the same price as CSGO/TF2. I think that's why they are stubborn on skin stats, because it's their way of trying to add value even though everyone is telling them it's a stupid fucking idea.

Being a completely PVE-focused game also hampers things, as it lacks the replayability of PVP games for a lot of people, so many of the new blood will migrate back to CSGO or wherever they came from if Overkill can't keep a steady supply of new heists to interest them. The remaining Payday fans will slowly become more frustrated with Overkill as they continue releasing paid DLC despite having microtransactions (and with the remaining PD1 heists likely being released in paid packs as well), and eventually the only people left engaging in the market are the people who are only there specifically to play the market and have no interest in the actual game. Except then they won't have anybody to sell to, and will find it more profitable to focus on TF2 or whatever.

• Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Okay, that does look pretty cool.