Options

The Ryan Davis Memorial Giant Bomb Thread

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Give when the PA comic began, I assume a sizable number of us forumers are in their mid thirties/low forties at this point.
    yup :\

i wonder how many other people in the sub 500 first registered forum users still post
    Yo

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Heh. Check the Twitter line.

6HhmuZo.jpg

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    SSGN727SSGN727 USS MICHIGAN Floating CalmlyRegistered User regular
    Came here to post about that; also an Ancient Member still lurking strong

Steam | Twitch Stream | Youtube Channel | NNID: Soapdish
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I think I should be hitting Ancient member any day now.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Dan's never played Quake.

Brad's reaction was priceless.

Why is that a shock? Dan didn't have a PC. I'm pretty sure he mentioned it the last time Brad or Jeff played Quake on a stream

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    I'll be ancient in September

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    I'll be ancient this time next year.

No I don't.
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I just realized that I'm gonna be devastated if Jeff doesn't bring up pushmo world at some point during goty stuff

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »
    I just realized that I'm gonna be devastated if Jeff doesn't bring up pushmo world at some point during goty stuff

PUSHMO.

WORLD.

• Options
    PUSHMO.

WORLD.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I, too, am an ancient. Is the council being summoned?

• Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    I, too, am an ancient. Is the council being summoned?

I guess I'm in the club, didn't even realize it, not that I post much...

Back on topic, did anyone else read Sphere and listen to the podcast? I thought it was super enjoyable, but I didn't watch the movie.

Have they announced another book for bomb after reading?

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    2009 GOTY

The Brad Shoemaker "I'm Calling It" Award for Best Use of Zombies

The winner is Left 4 Dead 2 but the point of this category is that we're all really fucking tired of zombies

Flash forward five years and we still have Dying Light, Dead Island 2 and a bunch of other bullshit zombie games still coming out

Sorry Past Brad

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Ceno's Big Big 2014 GOTY Post brought to you by Subway Eat Fresh

2014 was kind of a bummer of a year for me in a lot of ways, video games most assuredly included. I couldn't scrape together a list of ten games, so I had to settle for a top five. Some of the categories have runners-up, some don't, it's all a big mess. So let's get started!

PLEASE STOP
    Cross-gen ports
    It's hard to make new games, I know. And when new consoles launch, that first year is always a little dicey, so I understand the urge to re-release schmancier versions of your old games. But we are here in the second year now, and it hasn't shown any sign of slowing down. Some studios have done better than others (GTA 5's first person mode being the most notable), but come on. I haven't seen anything that has me convinced I need to have either a PS4 or Xbox One yet, and that's kind of sad. Take advantage of that new hardware!
    Runners-up: Origin, Ubisoft

MOST DISAPPOINTING
    Titanfall
    This is what came out of the big Infinity Ward split? I mean, it's a solid first person shooter, and it has good mobility, but... it's still the same formula that they developed years and years ago. It feels a bit bare-bones from a multiplayer perspective and since that's pretty much all you get, the package doesn't feel worth the price of a full game. On the PC, there are whole modes that you simply can't play due to a lack of players. They shouldn't have bothered with the "campaign" mode at all. Bummer.
    Runner-up: Dark Souls II

BEST SURPRISE
    Wolfenstein: The New Order
    This game wasn't on my radar at all until the glowing reviews started pouring in. I took a chance on it and what I got was easily one of the best shooters I've played in years. No tacked on multiplayer, no unnecessary DLC or microtransactions, just a robust, complete, well-executed single player campaign that I hope more shooters take inspiration from in the future.
    Runner-up: Alien Isolation

BEST MOMENT
    Using the Horn - Mario Kart 8
    YES. EAT SHIT, BLUE SHELL. FINALLY. SWEET RELEASE. YOU DESERVED IT AND I'D DO IT AGAIN IN A HEARTBEAT. UGH.
    Runner-up: Playing as Marlowe - Alien: Isolation

BEST OLD GAME
    Dark Souls
    This was the year I finally mustered up the courage and it was worth it. I tried to avoid using guides as much as I could, and the experience was so rewarding that I can't wait to play through it again once the PC version ditches GFWL for Steamworks.

BEST DLC/EXPANSION
    Diablo III: Reaper of Souls
    An expansion so good that many will qualify it as a different game, and it's hard to argue with that. Reaper of Souls fixed everything that was wrong with Diablo III. A sorely needed revamp to the loot system, ditching the auction house, a fantastic adventure mode, and did I mention all the loot?

BEST SOUND DESIGN
    Alien: Isolation
    Creative Assembly owes me new pants. To be fair, they had a library to work from (given the film and all), but the way they utilized sound in Alien: Isolation makes it one of the most atmospheric and immersive horror games I've ever played. Play with headphones, if possible.

BEST MUSIC
    Crypt of the Necrodancer
    Not terribly surprising, considering the quality of the Super Meat Boy soundtrack, but the tunes in this game are catchy as all hell and stick in your head long after you've stopped playing.

BEST LOOKING
    Alien: Isolation
    The dark, dank halls of Sevastopol. The eerie, lifeless glowing eyes of a Working Joe. The horrible slobbery Lovecraftian nightmare that is the Alien itself. A beautiful, beautiful game oozing with detail.

HONORABLE MENTION
    Heroes of the Storm
    The only reason that this isn't high up on my actual list is because it's still technically alpha. Given Blizzard's degree of polish, you'd barely know it, considering it's already more of a full game than several full games that released this year. Enormously fun and accessible, I anticipate this will be a contender in 2015.

BEST GAME
    5. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
    Following the old "if it ain't broke..." mantra, there isn't a lot that's terribly new about Super Smash Bros, but what is there is ripe with the same fun, chaotic, and nostalgia-fueled gameplay for which the series is famous. If you have a Wii U, it's pretty much a no-brainer.

4. Crypt of the Necrodancer
    Addictive, quirky roguelike with lots of unlocks and sweet jams.

3. Wolfenstein: The New Order
    Return to ye olden shooter campaigns with maps and hidden areas and stuff. Surprisingly great characterization and really solid gameplay.

2. Mario Kart 8
    A bizarrely ill-conceived battle mode keeps this game down. Otherwise it's a ridiculously refined, well-playing, and stupidly purty version of the Mario Kart we all know and love. Value-priced DLC that adds 50% more of the game is icing on the cake.

**WINNER - Alien Isolation**
    Gorgeous, terrifying, lengthy, atmospheric, divisive. This game is not for everyone, but if you think it might be for you, get on it. The most faithful video game adaptation of the Alien franchise to date, obviously made with a lot of love. If this world is just, we will get a Creative Assembly-led sequel to this game. I just keep playing it over and over.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    No Shadows of Mordor is just wrong.

• Options
    I haven't played Shadow of Mordor.

• Options
    Not bein' snarky here, but you should really change that. Mordor was pretty great. Honorary GOTY mention, at least.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Asking someone to put a game they didn't play on their personal top 5 list is one of the more weird posts i've read today.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I meant change the 'not playing it'

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    2009 GOTY

The winner is Left 4 Dead 2 but the point of this category is that we're all really fucking tired of zombies

Flash forward five years and we still have Dying Light, Dead Island 2 and a bunch of other bullshit zombie games still coming out

Sorry Past Brad

Even more tired than zombie games is people whining about zombie games.

• Options
    Docshifty wrote: »

Throw me fitty dollars and I will.

• Options
    Ceno wrote: »
    Docshifty wrote: »

Throw me fitty dollars and I will.

33.50 at GMG

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    2009 GOTY

Sorry Past Brad

Even more tired than zombie games is people whining about zombie games.

And most tiring of all is RPG rhythm puzzle shooters.

No I don't.
  • Options
    throw him 33.50 then

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I haven't played it either!

Oh, and I need a PS4 too.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Mordor was a lot of fun but aside from the Nemesis system, which I appreciated a lot more than actually enjoyed, isn't that special. It's a combinations of mechanics from other games competently implemented.

It's a fine game but I dunno if it will break my Top 10.

• Options
    Far Cry 4 is my #1

Other games are my 2 through 10

The order doesn't matter because if you ain't first, you're last

• Options
    Mordor was a lot of fun but aside from the Nemesis system, which I appreciated a lot more than actually enjoyed, isn't that special. It's a combinations of mechanics from other games competently implemented.

It's a fine game but I dunno if it will break my Top 10.

Hence my statment of honorary mention. I'm willing to bet Shadow 2 will be a solid contender.

I personally would be put it at like 2 or 3 of the year, but I actually don't enjoy a lot of the games that will probably fill out most people's lists, so it has a lot of room to move up.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    So Destiny is pretty much going to be Brad's ME3/DotA/Minerva's Den "dig my heels in and hold the deliberations hostage" game of this year right?

• Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    I'm sure it'll be high on his personal list but he definitely understands the complaints people have with it. I can very much see him trying to wedge it into the music category though.

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    So Destiny is pretty much going to be Brad's ME3/DotA/Minerva's Den "dig my heels in and hold the deliberations hostage" game of this year right?

Nah, there's no way he tries to get it into the top ten; the biggest discussion will be if it wins most disappointing or not.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »

Nah, there's no way he tries to get it into the top ten; the biggest discussion will be if it wins most disappointing or not.
    Yeah, I think that's where Brad pulls out the filibuster, to keep Destiny from getting Most Disappointing. It'll be one of the three but I see Brad fighting hard so it doesn't win.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Nah, I can totally see Brad letting it win most disappointing. He knows that game has serious problems just as much as anyone.

Are there any games he would consider more disappointing, even just to him?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Though, again, Brad hasn't really been fighting the rest on Destiny's quality, especially as times gone on. He was kinda always "It's not great but I can't stop playing it" and then he stopped playing it for awhile and only started again because of the expansion, which he admits isn't much content. (he beat the story missions in an hour)

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    Nah, I can totally see Brad letting it win most disappointing. He knows that game has serious problems just as much as anyone.

Are there any games he would consider more disappointing, even just to him?
    I think Watch Dogs and AC: Unity are the other two of that set of 3.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Ugh. I want to play Far Cry 4 but I have to wait till Ubisoft gives me my free, Unity is broken, game.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Jeff kinda encapsulated the main issue with zombie games this past week. The games are over abundant, they're "spooky" but not really, they're an excuse to program boring AI enemies that just run at you, etc.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    I'm surprised that no one mentions the second season of the walking dead when talking about most disappointing game. The first season got so much praise and was hailed as the return of the adventure game but then the second season comes out and it doesn't seem like most people even bothered to play it.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Jakorian wrote: »
    I'm surprised that no one mentions the second season of the walking dead when talking about most disappointing game. The first season got so much praise and was hailed as the return of the adventure game but then the second season comes out and it doesn't seem like most people even bothered to play it.

Nobody cared cause Wolf Among Us, Borderlands, and Game of Thrones are really good

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Did anyone from GB even play any of those ones, either

I mean I guess Patrick talked about episode one of GoT

It seems like they are all largely done with Telltale though

Which is great because I'm super-done hearing about Telltale

This discussion has been closed.