Options

[Agents of SHIELD] Age of Inhumans

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Quical wrote: »
    Spoilers for questions regarding Skye/Rainer
    I took it to mean they may be related in some way. Raina mentions that her grandmother came from a "group of people who believed in blue angels from the sky" - this would tie in with what we know of skye's mother. The dream sequence of skye running around and then seeing agent coulson (white male - like her father) and Mae (asian female, like skye's mother) leaving a baby behind links in to what we know. The fact that she (and the baby?) are wearing a flower dress ties in Raina too. Beyond the same ethnicity, Coulson and Mae are chosen for her dream because they represent the people who have "raised" her now so to speak. They are very much mother/father figures to her.

This wasn't the mid-season finale was it? We have another episode next week right?

Keep in mind, Raina is from Thailand, and Skye is from China.
    They may be a distant relation in the same way that all the inhumans are distant relations, but not closer than that IMHO

You are forgetting the Hollywood thing where all Asians are interchangeable for each other.

See also: Korean actor James Kyson playing a Japanese character on Heroes, among countless other examples.

In show they have explicitly stated that Raina grew up in Thailand and Skye was born in China.

Also, "Ruth Negga is an Ethiopian-born Irish actress"

I first saw her on Misfits, a British TV show where she uses her natural Irish accent. Her American accent on AoS is seriously impressive because I have not detected a hint of Irish AT ALL.

I will admit that making her Thai is a bit of a stretch though. Did they explicitly say she was from Thailand? She could have just been hanging out there for a while (or got stuck there and ran out of money) but is originally from somewhere else. Also, she could have been born in Thailand, but her family is from somewhere else. Like Ethiopia!

Ravenhpltc24 on
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Damn, I definitely didn't detect a hint of an accent from her, so her American accent is pretty great.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I took it to mean they may be related in some way. Raina mentions that her grandmother came from a "group of people who believed in blue angels from the sky" - this would tie in with what we know of skye's mother. The dream sequence of skye running around and then seeing agent coulson (white male - like her father) and Mae (asian female, like skye's mother) leaving a baby behind links in to what we know. The fact that she (and the baby?) are wearing a flower dress ties in Raina too. Beyond the same ethnicity, Coulson and Mae are chosen for her dream because they represent the people who have "raised" her now so to speak. They are very much mother/father figures to her.

This wasn't the mid-season finale was it? We have another episode next week right?

They may be a distant relation in the same way that all the inhumans are distant relations, but not closer than that IMHO

You are forgetting the Hollywood thing where all Asians are interchangeable for each other.

See also: Korean actor James Kyson playing a Japanese character on Heroes, among countless other examples.

In show they have explicitly stated that Raina grew up in Thailand and Skye was born in China.

I first saw her on Misfits, a British TV show where she uses her natural Irish accent. Her American accent on AoS is seriously impressive because I have not detected a hint of Irish AT ALL.

I will admit that making her Thai is a bit of a stretch though. Did they explicitly say she was from Thailand? She could have just been hanging out there for a while (or got stuck there and ran out of money) but is originally from somewhere else. Also, she could have been born in Thailand, but her family is from somewhere else. Like Ethiopia!

All she said was that she was running with a gang of street cons in Thailand when Skye's dad found her/them.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Plus, it sets up some fun stuff
    like how Raina is a True Believer, then after GOTG2 rolls around and some Kree show up on Earth and are Space Assholes, she goes "what the hell is this" then jumps over to Coulson and crew trying to stop them.

Or something
    The Kree being Space Assholes in no way means she won't admire them. She rose quickly in Centipede and follows Skye's father around like a love sick puppy. Though her being on Team Coulson for any reason is comedy gold. It'd be like Moonstone being in the Avengers.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

AoS is the first time I've seen her and she made me a fan quickly. Raina is one of the best characters in the series.

• Options
    like how Raina is a True Believer, then after GOTG2 rolls around and some Kree show up on Earth and are Space Assholes, she goes "what the hell is this" then jumps over to Coulson and crew trying to stop them.

Or something
    The Kree being Space Assholes in no way means she won't admire them. She rose quickly in Centipede and follows Skye's around like a love sick puppy. Though her being on Team Coulson for any reason is comedy gold. It'd be like Moonstone being in the Avengers.

I don't know, man.
    The Kree are such giant fucking Space Assholes that they committed genocide to win a contest and even skeeved out the Skulls so bad that THEY turned into giant Space Assholes. They'd be hard for even Raina to cheer for.[/spoilers]

• Options
    edited December 2014

Or something
    The Kree being Space Assholes in no way means she won't admire them. She rose quickly in Centipede and follows Skye's around like a love sick puppy. Though her being on Team Coulson for any reason is comedy gold. It'd be like Moonstone being in the Avengers.

I don't know, man.
    The Kree are such giant fucking Space Assholes that they committed genocide to win a contest and even skeeved out the Skulls so bad that THEY turned into giant Space Assholes. They'd be hard for even Raina to cheer for.[/spoilers]
    With Raina I wouldn't rule anything out. She has standards but she'll accept a lot of bullshit before jumping ship.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Crippl3 on
  • Options
    It's my theory that Raina is more open to accepting bullshit when the people doing it are "special" and this specially applies to anything remotely tied to her ancestry, like the Inhumans and Kree. That's why she'll accept Skye's father while loathing Hydra.

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Whedon's track record for eliminating characters has given his work this extra layer of tension when it comes to the fate of his cast.

So it's nice seeing a character I like in jeopardy and really not knowing where this is going to go.

I mean, it's not nice nice - but apparently, being genuinely concerned and worried for a character on tv is refreshing.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Wash wrote: »
    Whedon's track record for eliminating characters has given his work this extra layer of tension when it comes to the fate of his cast.

So it's nice seeing a character I like in jeopardy and really not knowing where this is going to go.

I mean, it's not nice nice - but apparently, being genuinely concerned and worried for a character on tv is refreshing.

Jed and Maurissa did this excellently on Spartacus and Dollhouse.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Season 2 episode 1 spoiler
    Killing off Lucy Lawless in the first episode of the season was a brilliant decision in retrospect, little as I like it

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Agents of Shield now the highest rating network show in its timeslot, both overall and for 18-49. Still losing out on overall viewers, but....nice.

Just a word of caution regarding that: It doesn't need to beat the other shows it airs against, it needs to beat the rest of ABC. Luckily it's doing pretty good there too.

Regarding Simmons and Fitz (and Ward):
    I'd say Simmon's REALLY doesn't want to lose Fitz, but doesn't quite feel the same as he does (or doesn't want to admit it). Which is just going to suck to watch, so I hope they do something totally surprising and have them just be happy one way or another.

I almost wish Koenig had shot Ward. Well, I do wish someone had somehow and they got out of it. I disliked how they got found, but that's been covered.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Curious.
    What the hell was that Mack picked up in the hole? Did it look familiar to anyone?
    My theory is that was the MCU's version of Kree Sentries. Rather than being a large death robot it infects whoever touches it and augments their body and overrides their mind to kill anyone nearby. Once the mission's done they also probably die. No loose ends.

This seems likely. What might have been a wink to that is
    the garrison built atop the entrance to the city was called The Devil's Sentry.

We also have no reason to believe Mack's transformation was complete.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Agents of Shield now the highest rating network show in its timeslot, both overall and for 18-49. Still losing out on overall viewers, but....nice.

Just a word of caution regarding that: It doesn't need to beat the other shows it airs against, it needs to beat the rest of ABC. Luckily it's doing pretty good there too.

I'd say Simmon's REALLY doesn't want to lose Fitz, but doesn't quite feel the same as he does (or doesn't want to admit it). Which is just going to suck to watch, so I hope they do something totally surprising and have them just be happy one way or another.

I almost wish Koenig had shot Ward. Well, I do wish someone had somehow and they got out of it. I disliked how they got found, but that's been covered.
    Koenig shoots Ward. Ward takes the dented bullet from the bulletproof armor he wore underneath. Ward: "This is why I shoot people in the face." Ward proceeds to shoot Koenig in the face.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

Koenig shoots Ward. Ward takes the dented bullet from the bulletproof armor he wore underneath. Ward: "This is why I shoot people in the face." Ward proceeds to shoot Koenig in the face.

There would still be a dozen of them left. No biggie.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    I doubt Skye
    is an existing character. They'll want some extra wiggle room.

I'm actually fairly certain that the opposite is true.
    See, Marvel recently announced a SHIELD comic book that will take place within the regular comics universe but will star characters from the show. So far, the promotional material shown has included Coulson, May, Fitz, and Simmons, but no Skye. Which makes a lot of sense if she already exists in the comics universe in some form.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    PantsB wrote: »
    I doubt Skye
    is an existing character. They'll want some extra wiggle room.

I'm actually fairly certain that the opposite is true.
    See, Marvel recently announced a SHIELD comic book that will take place within the regular comics universe but will star characters from the show. So far, the promotional material shown has included Coulson, May, Fitz, and Simmons, but no Skye. Which makes a lot of sense if she already exists in the comics universe in some form.
    My internet money is on Crystal.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

There would still be a dozen of them left. No biggie.

Even though it probably shouldn't happen, mentally I keep expecting this scene:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR7dFFXImzA

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I watched the most recent episode thinking it was the last one before the hiatus.

I am so very glad I was wrong.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

She grew up in Limerick, apparently.
    So i'm very impressed with her accent in AoS, the Limerick accent is not one you can hide easily.

Now Playing:
    Celeste [Switch] - She'll be wrestling with inner demons when she comes...
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Raina seems like one of those characters who will always remain a third party, as it gives her the elements of mystery and faith that her character rather desperately needs. Having her appearing in every episode in more banal role would probably not work very well.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    I don't think you need actors to be the same race as their characters. The kid's show Merlin in the UK had a black actress as Guinevere, and it was great to see.

Anyway, I don't think Raina is supposed to be Thai. Just that she ended up there.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    vjhfun wrote: »
    OK... I want some small name Marvel villains to show up. Hell, when is Graviton gonna really show up? A8GRXQ

I dunno. This season has already had a few of those, and half the cast are from the comics now.

edit: Don't forget we still don't know Skye's or her father's real names.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Brit/Irish/Aussie/Kiwi actors usually do a pretty good job with an American accent. I think it helps that they are exposed to it through media so often. If 80% of the major movies and 50% of the biggest shows are using an accent, you probably have a decent handle on it.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Yeah, a pretty good chunk of The Walking Dead's cast has been British or Australian, and they almost all have done a pretty great job with the accents.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »

She grew up in Limerick, apparently.
    So i'm very impressed with her accent in AoS, the Limerick accent is not one you can hide easily.

I wonder how long it took her to stop talking in rhyme.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Ward/Hydra being able to
    track Raina's tracker was really dumb. Coulson should be using all new security measures that Ward knows nothing about since Hydra knew all of SHIELD's old secrets and they should have changed all their security protocols as soon as Ward escaped. It made no sense for SHIELD to be using an old frequency and Ward should not have known about it.
    Using an old frequency was a trick Fitzsimmons used to get found by Fury. The idea is that nobody, not even Hydra, monitors those frequencies anymore, except crazy Nick Fury.

But the problem is that they're using resources that both Hydra and Ward knew about.
    Hydra may not have been scanning those frequencies last year when they had their hands full but now they're in direct conflict with Coulson so they have every reason to be checking up on old "abandoned" SHIELD resources to track down Coulson and deny Coulson those resources. And changing all their security protocols after a mole who knew all their secrets escaped should be standard operating procedure.

You are literally inventing problems to gripe about.
    We know those old frequencies are unmonitored because we've been told that they are. The fiction has presented a set of facts about how 5 hinges work within the fiction; substituting fanfic to criticize instead is a fruitless enterprise.

This was a character beat. HYDRA was only able to find the right place to start looking because they have Ward, who knows that Coulson is a nostalgia buff.

Just because they set something up doesn't excuse poor logic being used in the set up or conflicts with other things they've set up. Coulson needing to change all his security protocols after Ward escapes is not an invented problem. That's just simple logic. Any reasonably intelligent person in that position should have done that. Coulson not taking those measures conflicts with the very premise that he's a spy with decades of experience.

As for Coulson using old SHIELD resources, think about what else they've established in the MCU and the show, Hydra has infiltrated SHIELD for decades and knows all of its secrets. So Hydra should know about most if not all of SHIELD's older and abandoned resources. Coulson has only been able to get away with using them because Hydra doesn't know that he's using them. However, Hydra and Coulson have been in conflict for half a year. Hydra already raided SHIELD's bases when they were exposed. It shouldn't take them long to start looking into old SHIELD resources. In fact, how does Coulson even know that Hydra has started monitoring them or haven't been monitoring them?

You can't just set things up in a story without the audience questioning if any of it fits or makes sense. That was already a problem in the first season. This is especially true now they're giving the show a spy vs. spy premise. You can't have a story full of intrigue and espionage without the audience picking up on the smaller details and piecing together things on their own. Heck, that's half the fun of reading/watching a spy novel/show/movie.

I lump this in the category of things that are nice extras if they address it, but unsurprising if they don't, because TV show.

Like Jake said, the relevant thing to take away is "Ward caught up to them because he knows the group and Coulson in particular." You seem to think that Coulson would've been safe if only he had changed their protocols. In actuality, he would never be safe because the story demanded that he not be safe. This way made for a neat little callback, whereas coming up with something completely different would probably mean something the viewer had never seen before, and so no neat callback.

I like it this way. It did a good job of making Ward a worthy opponent and Coulson a human who made a mistake, but was not a complete idiot.

I don't mind Ward outsmarting Coulson or exploiting some kind of weakness but the way they did it was bad. The fact that it's a good idea if you boil it down to the writers' intentions for the characters doesn't excuse the poor execution.

And I think the show still has problems with the kind of tone they're going for. Are they still going for more of the bigger more exaggerated tone where the details don't matter as much as the overall plot and character motivations or are they going for a bit more grounded spy thriller where they want the audience to be drawn in to the nitty gritty of the world?

1. They need a way to track people.
    2. HYDRA is monitoring SHIELD and civilian frequencies
    3. Coulson had every reason to believe that the cold war frequencies were still good, as he didn't use them when Ward was on the team.
    4. Ward found them not by figuring out a way to track the plane, but by figuring out Coulson.
    5. They wouldn't have found them if Flower Girl hadn't let slip that she had a tracking chip in her from Coulson.

Coulson did change protocols, and started relying more on the Koenigs' protocols (as was shown in that episode). Ward just outthought them with some lucky information slips by a non-SHIELD-agent.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Unfortunately
    I think mac is gonna be dead one way or another next episode. I figured he was due for a coffin fitting as soon as fitz told simmons that he was going to leave the lab to work with Mac. Obvious movie logic applied to this situation means kill off mac so Fitz has nowhere else to go except back to simmons for more unresolved awkward love plotlines.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Unfortunately
    I think mac is gonna be dead one way or another next episode. I figured he was due for a coffin fitting as soon as fitz told simmons that he was going to leave the lab to work with Mac. Obvious movie logic applied to this situation means kill off mac so Fitz has nowhere else to go except back to simmons for more unresolved awkward love plotlines.

There's another option with Mac.
    Mac is still alive. Hydra shows up and Mac tries to kill them. At Skye's request, Ward keeps Mac from being killed, and Skye developes her Inhuman powers, using them to cure Mac and save his life. SHIELD shows up to rescue Skye, and Ward uses Skye and Mac as a distraction to escape. SHIELD is reunited, Ward is a free agent, and Hydra goes stupid and sets off a Terrigen Bomb.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    But that doesnt solve the fitzsimmon cause of the problem.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    azith28 wrote: »
    But that doesnt solve the fitzsimmon cause of the problem.

They can give him another purpose once those crazy kids have gotten together.
    Super-Mac will be useful the next time they encounter Crusher Creel.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I hope Fitz and Simmons don't get together. Not now, anyway. It would be too television, and I expect more than that from the Whedon team. Especially since, imo, it's unfair to either character.

What Fitzsimmons is experiencing is really relatable, and almost always granted a fantasy conclusion in TV and film. You've got two best friends, Friend A falls in love with Friend B, Friend B doesn't reciprocate, but in the end, Friend B either realizes they've loved Friend A all along/ that Friend A is the best choice for them, usually after [big event] which either demonstrates why Friend A is what they want or makes them seriously reflect on their feelings.

This is unrealistic, it kind of robs Simmons of some agency, and it's cliche. Feelings, as well as attraction, aren't a switch you can turn on or off, and it seems clear that Simmons isn't attracted to Fitz. We've had a season's worth of episodes about how Fitz feels about her; everything we've had from Simmons indicates she feels otherwise. For her character to just one moment have an epiphany that she wants to be with him is inconsistent with her character - the moment has not been earned.

I'd love it if Fitz and Simmons realized that they do not want the same things from each other - Fitz wants to be with her, and Simmons wants her best friend back. That they accept that, split up amicably, and continue to develop apart from each other. And hey, at least that way, should they get together in the future, they'll be wiser, more developed and independent, and capable of approaching the idea of being together from the same angle.
    Which would probably happen right before the Whedons give one or both of them the axe.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I agree completely. It would be cheap and lousy to turn smart, capable, independent, multi-faceted Simmons into a thing for Fitz to win over.

minor incident on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I hope Fitz and Simmons don't get together. Not now, anyway. It would be too television, and I expect more than that from the Whedon team. Especially since, imo, it's unfair to either character.

What Fitzsimmons is experiencing is really relatable, and almost always granted a fantasy conclusion in TV and film. You've got two best friends, Friend A falls in love with Friend B, Friend B doesn't reciprocate, but in the end, Friend B either realizes they've loved Friend A all along/ that Friend A is the best choice for them, usually after [big event] which either demonstrates why Friend A is what they want or makes them seriously reflect on their feelings.

This is unrealistic, it kind of robs Simmons of some agency, and it's cliche. Feelings, as well as attraction, aren't a switch you can turn on or off, and it seems clear that Simmons isn't attracted to Fitz. We've had a season's worth of episodes about how Fitz feels about her; everything we've had from Simmons indicates she feels otherwise. For her character to just one moment have an epiphany that she wants to be with him is inconsistent with her character - the moment has not been earned.

I'd love it if Fitz and Simmons realized that they do not want the same things from each other - Fitz wants to be with her, and Simmons wants her best friend back. That they accept that, split up amicably, and continue to develop apart from each other. And hey, at least that way, should they get together in the future, they'll be wiser, more developed and independent, and capable of approaching the idea of being together from the same angle.
    Which would probably happen right before the Whedons give one or both of them the axe.

If you can, watch the deleted scenes for the academy episode.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    I agree completely. I'm would be cheap and lousy to turn smart, capable, independent, multi-faceted Simmons into a thing for Fitz to win over.

Fitz isn't winning anything. She'd do it on her own terms, as equals.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Triplett and Simmons 4 eva.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I agree completely. I'm would be cheap and lousy to turn smart, capable, independent, multi-faceted Simmons into a thing for Fitz to win over.

But that's my point. At the moment she doesn't seem to have those feelings for him, and making that happen would feel fake and forced. As it stands, she comes off as someone who knows her best friend is in love with her but doesn't want to lose him as a friend and is stuck in a tough spot.

I'm fine with the idea of feelings growing there at some point, but not right now.

minor incident on
  • Options

But that's my point. At the moment she doesn't seem to have those feelings for him, and making that happen would feel fake and forced. As it stands, she comes off as someone who knows her best friend is in love with her but doesn't want to lose him as a friend and is stuck in a tough spot.

I'm fine with the idea of feelings growing there at some point, but not right now.
    The scene with Bobbi says otherwise.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I just feel bad for Fitz because unrequited love sucks.

This discussion has been closed.