Options

[Star Wars Rebels] Season 4: May the Fourth Be With Uth

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    There were some missed opportunities in the finale.
    They set up a reference with Tarkin with the guy saying they had to evacuate... and then didn't go anywhere with it. No "Evacuate? In our moment of *explosion* on second thought, evacuate!" or him swearing never again as they fly off, nothing.

Also there was clearly an opportunity for a moment whete Kanan thinks Ezra's Force Ghost is talking to him but then he's actually just standing right behind him.

Regarding that first one:
    There was a pause in the conversation that I think was in direct reference to that, but having him agree to evacuate after saying that would kind of go against him refusing to evacuate in the Death Star. Anything more would have been too much like that guy that goes, "Get it? Get it? Huh? Huh? Huh?"

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Evacuation:
    There is a difference between evacuating from the most powerful space station ever built just as you are about to deliver the deathblow to your enemies just because a few enemy fighter jets are buzzing around it

and evacuating a regular starship that is about to explode.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Let me just cut this off. I liliterally do not care about "canon".

What's canon determines whether your hypothesis is true or not. In the Legends continuity it's true, in Disney's it's not.

What hypothesis?
    I have no idea what you are talking about. All jedi can become Force Ghosts when they die.

That was not a hypotheses. That was me saying I reject the retcon.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Let me just cut this off. I liliterally do not care about "canon".

What's canon determines whether your hypothesis is true or not. In the Legends continuity it's true, in Disney's it's not.

What hypothesis?
    I have no idea what you are talking about. All jedi can become Force Ghosts when they die.

That was not a hypotheses. That was me saying I reject the retcon.

You statement then. It doesn't matter what you think about it, it's what Disney thinks about canon that matters and as of now Legends isn't canon.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    20060724.jpg

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Didn't Disney say at one point they'd continue to release EU stuff under the "Legends" banner; or was that just for reprints of older stuff?

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    Didn't Disney say at one point they'd continue to release EU stuff under the "Legends" banner; or was that just for reprints of older stuff?

That's just reprints. All the new novels they release are part of the new canon.

Tarkin
    New Dawn
    Heir to the Jedi

And all the short stories in Star Wars magazine released after... 151 or something?

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    There's been no retcon re: Force ghosts.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »

That's just reprints. All the new novels they release are part of the new canon.

Tarkin
    New Dawn
    Heir to the Jedi

And all the short stories in Star Wars magazine released after... 151 or something?

I've got a bad feeling that continuity is going to get tangled up fairly quickly with most of the new material dealing with what established characters were doing in between the movies.

kyrcl.png
  • Options

Tarkin
    New Dawn
    Heir to the Jedi

I've got a bad feeling that continuity is going to get tangled up fairly quickly with most of the new material dealing with what established characters were doing in between the movies.

I dunno. So far everything works.

Tarkin is the story of how he becomes Grand Moff. New Dawn is how Kanan meets Hera. Heir to the Jedi is an early mission Luke runs for the Alliance while Han and Chewie are off doing their own thing before coming back to join the Rebels more permanently.

The Leia comic happens almost immediately after the end of New Hope, and has her going off to find as many people from Alderaan as she can, as the Empire is basically looking to exterminate them as an example.

The Star Wars comic picks up shortly after whatever brings Han and Chewie back to the Alliance (possibly the mission itself), and is going to basically be a bunch of missions.

The Darth Vader comic kicks off after the first mission from the Star Wars comic, and follows Vader after being disgraced.

The Kanan comic will be following him from Order 66 through to New Dawn, I'd imagine.

Nothing is really an issue thus far, as they all take place distinctly from each other.

The next novel coming out is Lords of the Sith, which follows Vader and Palpatine on a planet, and I believe it takes place right after Tarkin, as Palpatine mentions in that novel that he and Vader have something they need to do that doesn't concern the Empire.

After that is a Ventress novel, which takes place in the Clone Wars era.

They're pretty obviously focusing on pre-Ep VII right now, and I'm guessing once the new movie comes out, we'll get some media filling in the gaps between RotJ and the Force Awakens. But as it is, everything seems to slot in pretty nicely. And I say that as someone who has picked up everything that's part of the new canon, outside of the Star Wars magazines.

We'll see how it turns out, but right now there doesn't seem to be any danger of overlap yet.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    jdarksun wrote: »
    @InkSplat Have you finished Heir yet?

@jdarksun Not yet. I had a bit of a slow start, as the First Person perspective is a bit weird for me, since it feels like its being told by an older Luke, since the writing sounds nothing like Farm Boy/Rebel Pilot Luke would, except when he's actually speaking.

The story so far is interesting though and is getting me past that, at least as far as I've gotten, which is more the lead-up and then the side-quest portion of the story.
    Luke gets a 2nd lightsaber that belonged to a Rodian Jedi that escaped Order 66 with fatal wounds to die back on Rodia. He takes it apart, and it gives a nice explanation of why a lightsaber can't be built by anyone but a Jedi--besides the main crystal, there are apparently two super-thin and fragile slices of it that are balanced in such a way that you'd have to hold them in place with the Force as you closed the casing. So once he opened it, it was useless.

Its definitely interesting seeing Luke explore that, plus his complete ineptness in the Force in general, as he's only just learning how to clear his mind on command without combat being a part of it.

It feels a lot like something you'd run as a session of Edge of the Empire, actually. Including running a mission to a dangerous uncharted planet with
    skull-drilling, brain-eating invisible crystal spider things
    to earn some credits to upgrade a ship. :P

InkSplat on
  • Options

Tarkin
    New Dawn
    Heir to the Jedi

Tarkin is the story of how he becomes Grand Moff. New Dawn is how Kanan meets Hera. Heir to the Jedi is an early mission Luke runs for the Alliance while Han and Chewie are off doing their own thing before coming back to join the Rebels more permanently.

The Leia comic happens almost immediately after the end of New Hope, and has her going off to find as many people from Alderaan as she can, as the Empire is basically looking to exterminate them as an example.

The Star Wars comic picks up shortly after whatever brings Han and Chewie back to the Alliance (possibly the mission itself), and is going to basically be a bunch of missions.

The Darth Vader comic kicks off after the first mission from the Star Wars comic, and follows Vader after being disgraced.

The Kanan comic will be following him from Order 66 through to New Dawn, I'd imagine.

Nothing is really an issue thus far, as they all take place distinctly from each other.

The next novel coming out is Lords of the Sith, which follows Vader and Palpatine on a planet, and I believe it takes place right after Tarkin, as Palpatine mentions in that novel that he and Vader have something they need to do that doesn't concern the Empire.

They're pretty obviously focusing on pre-Ep VII right now, and I'm guessing once the new movie comes out, we'll get some media filling in the gaps between RotJ and the Force Awakens. But as it is, everything seems to slot in pretty nicely. And I say that as someone who has picked up everything that's part of the new canon, outside of the Star Wars magazines.

We'll see how it turns out, but right now there doesn't seem to be any danger of overlap yet.

Yet. This isn't going to last forever. When Disney decides to milk Star Wars in quantities like Lucas Arts did that's when it's going to be a nightmare on continuity. They haven't even started series in the novels yet.

• Options

Tarkin
    New Dawn
    Heir to the Jedi

Yet. This isn't going to last forever. When Disney decides to milk Star Wars in quantities like Lucas Arts did that's when it's going to be a nightmare on continuity. They haven't even started series in the novels yet.

Why can't it? I mean, if they have a group of people (which they do) whose job it is to keep canon straight..why is it not possible? All they need to do is have a timeline for each character, and boom, very easy to check that things work out.

This isn't a situation where they can go off ahead of the movies any more like they did in the past--that was where the real trouble happened. I am sure, given that Disney wants to keep making movies leading out from Episode 7, that they'll keep the other media behind the movies, which means there'll never be an issue, as the end point is always established. We won't see anything major set after Return of the Jedi until after Force Awakens comes out. If they stick to that, there isn't a lot they can do to fuck it up.

• Options
    Why can't it? I mean, if they have a group of people (which they do) whose job it is to keep canon straight..why is it not possible? All they need to do is have a timeline for each character, and boom, very easy to check that things work out.

Company's like money and Star Wars isn't at its peak in this incarnation. When TFA is in theaters all bets are off.

Canon's easy now, there's barely any in it. No series aside from the movies and Rebels cartoon. Star Wars at its peak has multiple series in multiple mediums and that gets hard to keep track of. This builds up quickly once its began. It's a massive task for Trek with their novels series and those are contained, the only series that it effects with canon are Starfleet Academy which is a spin-off from Abrams Trek.
    This isn't a situation where they can go off ahead of the movies any more like they did in the past--that was where the real trouble happened. I am sure, given that Disney wants to keep making movies leading out from Episode 7, that they'll keep the other media behind the movies, which means there'll never be an issue, as the end point is always established. We won't see anything major set after Return of the Jedi until after Force Awakens comes out. If they stick to that, there isn't a lot they can do to fuck it up.

This isn't just about movies, they're a tiny portion of the Star Wars canon. It's the cartoons, tv shows (if they get made), video-games, comics, novels that's going to be hard to co-ordinate. That's what Star Wars was like with Lucas Arts.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    This is kind of a silly debate. Is Star Wars going to develop some cracks in the continuity? Yes, it's pretty much unavoidable without some sort of malevolent AI monitoring the entire thing. Whether Disney has one lore master or a team of a hundred of em, little things will slip through here and there because the team is only human but that's fine. These whoopsies can easily be corrected later if necessary.

The important bit, however, is that we're not going to get what we had in Legacy where one writer can state there were only a few million clone troopers, seriously alter the nature of the force, create Super Saiyan Level 3 Luke GojitaWalker, randomly decide to make a character force sensitive and spin them off into weird directions, or some other other major alteration. In these situations, any changes like that will be controlled by the lore team and not some hack who got high as fuck and had a few hours to kill in a coffee shop with their Macbook. There will be a much better sense of cohesiveness to the ongoing development of the story from here on out. We may get a continuity glitch here and there, but again, that's ok, they're bound to happen with a big enough property. The important part is how the lore team handles them when they happen.
    It's a massive task for Trek
    Not really since none of the books or graphic novels are canon. There are two exceptions to that but even they're questionable since their content never showed up in an episode after they were written and some bits were contradicted in the show. Even the reference books occupy a kind of weird grey area where they've never been called canon but they've never been declared non-canon either (though basically everyone who matters considers them pretty official).

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

Company's like money and Star Wars isn't at its peak in this incarnation. When TFA is in theaters all bets are off.

Canon's easy now, there's barely any in it. No series aside from the movies and Rebels cartoon. Star Wars at its peak has multiple series in multiple mediums and that gets hard to keep track of. This builds up quickly once its began. It's a massive task for Trek with their novels series and those are contained, the only series that it effects with canon are Starfleet Academy which is a spin-off from Abrams Trek.

This isn't just about movies, they're a tiny portion of the Star Wars canon. It's the cartoons, tv shows (if they get made), video-games, comics, novels that's going to be hard to co-ordinate. That's what Star Wars was like with Lucas Arts.

Holiday Special remake confirmed?

• Options
    edited March 2015

Holiday Special remake confirmed?

Hey, hey! We don't make jokes like that around here.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    You'll have to wait outside.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    So, I'm all caught up on this now and all I really gotta say is *ahem* DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN.

Is season two out yet?

EDIT: Oh, and I'm a huge fan of the Imperial Troop Transport design. Whoever thought that up deserves a raise.
    Also, god damn Kanan seems more comfortable with two sabers than he is with one. Sure, he was suitably cheesed off and focused, but his form in general just seemed a lot more fluid and natural looking. As if muscle memory was finally allowed to kick in.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    What, you mean this thing?

troop3.jpg

If so, your answer is probably "some guy who worked for Kenner back in 1979."

If you're talking about the shuttles, those would be Sentinel-class landing craft.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    So, I'm all caught up on this now and all I really gotta say is *ahem* DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN.

Is season two out yet?

EDIT: Oh, and I'm a huge fan of the Imperial Troop Transport design. Whoever thought that up deserves a raise.
    Also, god damn Kanan seems more comfortable with two sabers than he is with one. Sure, he was suitably cheesed off and focused, but his form in general just seemed a lot more fluid and natural looking. As if muscle memory was finally allowed to kick in.
    Spoiler discussion:
    Unfortunately, it didn't fit the narrative they had already provided: Kanan was a padawan that learned from a single blade focused master, not some dual wielding badass.

But it was awesome, so i don't care that much.

• Options

troop3.jpg

If you're talking about the shuttles, those would be Sentinel-class landing craft.

Nah, these things showed up when
    the Imperials were flying in to try and stop the rebels at the comm tower. They had Tie style panels at the front.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

troop3.jpg

the Imperials were flying in to try and stop the rebels at the comm tower. They had Tie style panels at the front.

Do you mean the Police Gunships?
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Police_gunship
    PoliceGunships-TCAJ.png

see317 on
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »

troop3.jpg

Do you mean the Police Gunships?
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Police_gunship
    PoliceGunships-TCAJ.png

Yup! That's them. Didn't know they were Clone Wars era vehicles, I only just started season 5.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    It's a massive task for Trek
    Not really since none of the books or graphic novels are canon. There are two exceptions to that but even they're questionable since their content never showed up in an episode after they were written and some bits were contradicted in the show. Even the reference books occupy a kind of weird grey area where they've never been called canon but they've never been declared non-canon either (though basically everyone who matters considers them pretty official).

It's not about canon with Trek, only the movies and tv series are canon there - it's about the EU continuity, which has grown quite large over the years and unlike SW it's much smaller on mass and isn't getting every movie a year plus whatever else Disney wants to make canon since Disney wants to make SW another MCU. The only exception are the novels etc about Abrams universe and they're not pumping out a movie each year plus spin-offs for that. I have faith Disney will control it better than Lucas Arts did but it's foolish to think Disney won't one day decide to all-out with it's new universe. For money, if nothing else. They're in the easy stage now, the hard part comes later.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't see the new canon getting as ridiculously stupid as the EU did. At worst it'll get kinda Marvelish with retcons here and there and big events and all that, but I'd be pretty fine with that because at least Marvel's stuff (generally) doesn't make me wanna put a powerdrill through my eyes like the EU did after a while.
    I have faith Disney will control it better than Lucas Arts did but it's foolish to think Disney won't one day decide to all-out with it's new universe.
    Yeah, but as long as they are controlling it better than Lucasarts I dunno what the problem is. Star Wars is gonna be the MCU round 2 and considering how fun the MCU is, huzzah for that.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Yeah, but as long as they are controlling it better than Lucasarts I dunno what the problem is. Star Wars is gonna be the MCU round 2 and considering how fun the MCU is, huzzah for that.

The difference with the MCU is that the MCU, despite it's size, is comparable to Trek's EU, not what Star Wars can grow into. It'll have more moving parts than the MCU does. The MCU is only the movies and tv shows, the comics really aren't that important to ignore or retcon by something else and they just do mini-series for that, not several ongoing series. SW canon as it goes forward will include comics, movies, novels and tv shows and probably video-games in the future. All can have several ongoing series and event series going forward simultaneously, that's when the continuity escalates quickly. That happens when they're at peak popularity. So far Disney's not doing that with their canon, Rebels excluded. Yet.

• Options
    edited March 2015

The difference with the MCU is that the MCU, despite it's size, is comparable to Trek's EU, not what Star Wars can grow into. It'll have more moving parts than the MCU does. The MCU is only the movies and tv shows, the comics really aren't that important to ignore or retcon by something else and they just do mini-series for that, not several ongoing series. SW canon as it goes forward will include comics, movies, novels and tv shows and probably video-games in the future. All can have several ongoing series and event series going forward simultaneously, that's when the continuity escalates quickly. That happens when they're at peak popularity. So far Disney's not doing that with their canon, Rebels excluded. Yet.

That's actually an interesting point. Would Disney let video games be canon? It seems like that would cause undo stress on attempting to weave the game into greater storyline and limit what could be made. RPGs become a sticking point unless there's an "official canon" storyline which then makes whatever the player does that doesn't adhere to that basically the "wrong choice." Comics and novels are pretty easily grouped into the same family so I don't really consider them seperate entities. They're printed form media, just one has cool pictures and a slower burn time and the other doesn't. So, at least to me, Star Wars isn't too far off from what the MCU is up to and has the added benefit of the MCU's experience with building something like this.

Honestly though, I'm not even sure what this discussion is about anymore. I generally agree that the SWCU is gonna be tricky to manage but I think with Disney's MCU experience and a solid foundation they'll do ok. They might stumble here and there but that's what retcons are for.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Except for the fact that Revan aint no dude.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    reVerse wrote: »
    Except for the fact that Revan aint no dude.
    Revan was totally a brodude, and the Exile was totally a ladydude.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    So, finished Heir to the Jedi just now, and it had a excerpt from Lords of the Sith. Looks like Hera's dad is going to be a main character. Makes me wonder if she'll show up.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    So, finished Heir to the Jedi just now, and it had a excerpt from Lords of the Sith. Looks like Hera's dad is going to be a main character. Makes me wonder if she'll show up.

I'm pretty sure Hera's father was in The Clone Wars already (as a freedom fighter/rebel faction leader).

• Options

I'm pretty sure Hera's father was in The Clone Wars already (as a freedom fighter/rebel faction leader).

He was. Cham Syndula.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

He was. Cham Syndula.

That's Hera's father? Huh. I just watched "Liberty on Ryloth" yesterday (S1:E21).

• Options
    EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    Was Hera the little girl hanging with the clones?

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Different episode, and honestly, I don't recall seeing a single green Twilek in all of season one.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »

IT'S HAPPENING!

Just need everything wireless and a couple killer app games then I'm ready to purchase. :)