As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Singularity Satans 2014

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    I occasionally use the microwave to heat water for tea (or hot chocolate!). I don't really boil it so much as make it very hot (but drinkable without too much cooling). But I always put the tea bag in after.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    That you would put the tea bag into cold water seems so weird to me!

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I always follow Douglas Adams tea making procedure.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I follow the 80s method and pity the fool who messes with tea.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Oh my gosh I am stealing this

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    If your tea is not made in a pot is it even really tea?

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I make my tea the American Way™

Sweet and by the gallon.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Veldrin wrote: »

Oh my gosh I am stealing this

You have my blessing.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I never knew electric kettles weren't a thing in America. I assumed it was one of those things everyone has. It would be really weird for somebody here to not own a kettle.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    The only person I knew who had an electric kettle was my art teacher, everyone else I know, including myself, has always used a stove-top kettle. I've even microwaved water in the past but something feels wrong about it.

Lately I've just been using my Keurig and some empty, refillable pods to get hot water. I even pack them with loose-leaf tea for quick brewing. Works pretty well!

TankHammer on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    I had a stovetop kettle and then I realized that I am VERY IMPATIENT.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I would imagine that the slow uptake on electric kettles in the US is directly tied to the average home/kitchen size and the cheapness of natural gas here. Doesn't cost much to run a stovetop in the US.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    American kitchens, are on average, gigantic.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I have a kettle at home and one in my office. The latter because there I drink my coffee what we call "Turkish" so just ground coffee in a cup boiled over with water from the electric kettle.

Also we do have a gas stove, but the kettle is still faster.

Grobian on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    One other reason you don't see as many kettles is in rejection of the king of England and his bullshit tariffs! Throw it all in the sea!

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, for the people who boil water in the microwave for tea, do you put the tea bag in before or after it's come out of the microwave?

This question is also directed at people who have done it once or something

after

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    One other reason you don't see as many kettles is in rejection of the king of England and his bullshit tariffs! Throw it all in the sea!

But what do you do when someone asks you to put kettle on?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Grobian wrote: »
    I have a kettle at home and one in my office. The latter because there I drink my coffee what we call "Turkish" so just ground coffee in a cup boiled over with water from the electric kettle.

That is not turkish coffee at all.

• Options

Call them a commie.

• Options

Ask how their flight from Not-America was.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

Mockingly hold my arm in the crude shape of a handle and spout and say "toot toot peep peep, get out of my house"

• Options

It was very pleasant with the exception of the bit where I ended up in america thankyou.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

I am trying to get into proper turkish coffee right now

And holy shit it is so difficult

• Options

It was very pleasant with the exception of the bit where I ended up in america thankyou.

Well! I was going to share my KFC Double down with you but nevermind now!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

My kitchen is tiny :(

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

My kitchen is tiny :(

Canadian kitchens may be different

Mine, outside my parents house, have always been tiny.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    couldn't you just put a mug of water in the microwave for a couple minutes?

Some people (me) don't have a microwave. (And a kettle is way cheaper).

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Protip: Put water in your kettle and put the kettle in the microwave and turn both on for fastest boiled water

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Protip: Put water in your kettle and put the kettle in the microwave and turn both on for fastest boiled water

Being in appliance product safety, I can confirm that people have done shit like this.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular

I know, but for some reason this style of coffee preparation is called Turkish in (parts of?) Germany.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Also it's super common to have warm/hot water to drink in... well it is in South Korea, I don't know about other places.

It's a pretty efficient way of warming up, tbh, but people here in the States stare at me like I've got my pants on backwards when I drink plain hot water.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    To be fair, many Americans stare at people like that when they drink any kind of water.

Because there's soda/pop/cola right there

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Package shipped, should arrive wednesday. I hope they like cookies...

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Dear Satan,

I will probably be out of the house Wed-Fri, so if there is anything due to arrive at that time, could you proxy me a tracking number if you have one, or a notification otherwise so I know to be expecting some and can burn my neighbor's house down if my stuff is missing when I get back?
    Thanks!

• Options
    RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Dear Satan,

After I made my initial post, I found out that I can't have gluten and a variety of food (handy list of stuff I can't have). Now of course, this won't stop me from nibbling some cookies, brownies, or what-not but it means that I will almost certainly give most of whatever food I do get to my husband. So if you do decide to send any food, that's what you'll have to go up against

Rayze on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Also it's super common to have warm/hot water to drink in... well it is in South Korea, I don't know about other places.

It's a pretty efficient way of warming up, tbh, but people here in the States stare at me like I've got my pants on backwards when I drink plain hot water.

God, me too! I actually got in trouble for it as a kid, once. But fuck it, I'm an adult now. I do what I want.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

God, me too! I actually got in trouble for it as a kid, once. But fuck it, I'm an adult now. I do what I want.

tumblr_inline_n16gx94xI71qb155m.png

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    What more can I say about my family that hasn't been said :bzz:

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    As Americans we are inherently distrustful of hot drinks that are not coffee or cocoa.

easysig2.jpg