As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Release: May 24th / Animated shorts coming this Spring!

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Playing Symmetra on King's Row defense seems to work a lot better for me if I spread my turrets around rather than sticking them all in one place. I put one on the angled wall facing the capture point, one inside the room with the health to the right of the capture point, one on the wall leading into that room, and then one on the opposite wall on the left side, and two more along the path leading up the stairs. Tracer/Reaper likes to take that path up to higher ground, and I got tons of kills from that.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Weekend queues, woo. Pick tank, nobody wants to pick support. Pick support, nobody wants to pick tank. Balanced group, stalls out on Hanamura A because everyone wants to sit at the gate rather than distract them with point caps - even though we had DVa.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I know they didn't design it that way, but it might be fun to have the KOH points randomly rotate. I feel like I hardly see the third one.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I know they didn't design it that way, but it might be fun to have the KOH points randomly rotate. I feel like I hardly see the third one.

Yeah, especially since C point on Nepal is my favorite one.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Playing Symmetra on King's Row defense seems to work a lot better for me if I spread my turrets around rather than sticking them all in one place. I put one on the angled wall facing the capture point, one inside the room with the health to the right of the capture point, one on the wall leading into that room, and then one on the opposite wall on the left side, and two more along the path leading up the stairs. Tracer/Reaper likes to take that path up to higher ground, and I got tons of kills from that.

I actually like to spread them out on point A on Kings Row as well. I find that it nets me more damage in aggregate to get the teleporter up more quickly.

I tend to do two on the bus. One on the wall just to the left of the bus. One just inside the separating wall and one just below the drop down on the left. This all changes once I get the first tele up.

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    Ya your first couple of turrets should be used to charge up your ult asap

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    That bit of music Bastion can make is adorable.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Has anyone been sent to the login screen while in a match? I've had it happen twice tonight. One was 10 seconds before the end of a winning match.

Edit: checked reddit and it seems to be a common thing this evening.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Huh, so if you go over to ign.com and turn off your ad block you can see an interesting ad.

Early Access May 3rd and release May 24th assuming it's right.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Amazon has it releasing on June 21st, which I just noticed is also NMS day

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Huh, so if you go over to ign.com and turn off your ad block you can see an interesting ad.

Early Access May 3rd and release May 24th assuming it's right.

@Ludious

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

I know for sure Amazon makes shit up for books, can't recall a specific instance of a game release date, but I'd take it with a grain of salt still.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    No one uses the street to approach Numbani point A anymore. They all take that route that goes across the overpass. I'm gonna start loading the room that leads there with sentry turrets.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »

I know for sure Amazon makes shit up for books, can't recall a specific instance of a game release date, but I'd take it with a grain of salt still.

Yeah, the ads on ign are gone now so either it came out too early or had errors.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Blizzard just confirmed a May 24th release and an open beta from the 5th-9th with preorders getting early access for you and a friend on the 3rd-4th. The open beta will be for PC, Xbox, and PS4 including all heroes, maps, and progression/loot boxes. http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/blog/20055970/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKv-GSArdPY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhjeJRrCKNg

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    That is a really damn short open beta.

I wonder if we should assume no more closed beta invite waves now.

• Options
    quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    I think the Open beta is going to be very little about gameplay optimization and more about load balancing. And also about getting your friends to buy so they can play this "COOL GAME, BRO!"

• Options
    First ever S:76 game.

33wmwwbksio0.jpg

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    First ever S:76 game.

33wmwwbksio0.jpg

My experience both playing as him and having him in games is that he's a total medal magnet.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    2 whole days of early access?

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    2 whole days of early access?

Well it's not an MMO, so we don't really need an extended early access or a long Open Beta to get a sense for the game. People should know within a few matches if it's something they'll want to buy. Also a shorter EA won';t let players get too far ahead of the curve (not that it actually matters)

Having a shorter period will give better server stress data anyways as it forces everyone into that window instead.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    That's really good to hear, actually.

The game seems like it's in a great spot right now. A few more tweaks and it should be solid for release. I will love having a much bigger player pool.

• Options
    CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    That is a really damn short open beta.

I wonder if we should assume no more closed beta invite waves now.

I'm going to guess we'll see at least a few more waves of closed beta invites. Unless they're going to close down the beta for a while, they're going to need to replace players that lose interest in playing the game for whatever reason.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Jesus Christ, had the most annoying guy "coaching" the team. I pointed out that I was the lowest level on the team and I had 120 games played and I think we knew what to do, but nooo, constant stream of "OK, we need to attack point A!"

Echo on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    Blizzard just confirmed a May 24th release and an open beta from the 5th-9th with preorders getting early access for you and a friend on the 3rd-4th. The open beta will be for PC, Xbox, and PS4 including all heroes, maps, and progression/loot boxes. http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/blog/20055970/

Overwatch: $55 or $80

Woo, currency exchange rate sodomy!

• Options
    Jesus Christ, had the most annoying guy "coaching" the team. I pointed out that I was the lowest level on the team and I had 120 games played and I think we knew what to do, but nooo, constant stream of "OK, we need to attack point A!"

"You need to point your reticle at the bad men and push the left mouse button."

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

You're playing Mercy and are currently trying to heal bad men.
    Why
    Why.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »

Why
    Why.

shooting and killing someone with Mercy is so fun

No one expects the angel pistol!

• Options

I said pretty much that. WOOSH went the point.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Had some kid bragging about how he got play of the game as D.Va and "schooled the other D.Va" (I was D.Va). He basically just ulted and then shot me a couple of times after I ejected.

This was after his own team had lost the match.

It's like, yeah sure you fellated your own ego there but... do you fundamentally not understand what the goal is with a team-oriented game?

• Options
    quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Had some kid bragging about how he got play of the game as D.Va and "schooled the other D.Va" (I was D.Va). He basically just ulted and then shot me a couple of times after I ejected.

This was after his own team had lost the match.

It's like, yeah sure you fellated your own ego there but... do you fundamentally not understand what the goal is with a team-oriented game?

But it said I was the BEST!!!

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the Play of the game is just: Most kills in shortest length of time

Which sort of works, but feels a bit arbitrary since other plays may have actually been more impactful.

Still it would be very hard to code that sort of highlight so I think what we have is decent enough. At the very least it will show quite a few kills so that's cool

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »

Why
    Why.

shooting and killing someone with Mercy is so fun

No one expects the angel pistol!

That pistol is surprisingly powerful. Accurate, decent damage, and doesn't appear to have much if any damage fall off. I was killing turrets with it on Hollywood A at one point.

• Options
    D.Va on Hanamura offense is fun. As soon as you capture A, fly over to the left side, wait for it to go off cooldown, then swoop in fast as heck and land just outside of their spawn and start attacking them from behind and odds are they won't have had enough time to set up defenses properly.

• Options
    So I keep getting joined to the arse-end of games, meaning I get like 400 xp for the time and no medals or win bonus. Weeee.

• Options

I went with the basic because out of all the rewards/skins the tracer and widow skin were the only thing that interested me and the latter comes with the basic version.

Still sucks you're getting screwed though.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the Play of the game is just: Most kills in shortest length of time

Which sort of works, but feels a bit arbitrary since other plays may have actually been more impactful.

Still it would be very hard to code that sort of highlight so I think what we have is decent enough. At the very least it will show quite a few kills so that's cool

I think what they could do is recognize an assist. If you're getting healed/boosted by Mercy, taking advantage of someone's ultimate, etc, have the assisting player in the corner or something.

• Options

I went with the basic because out of all the rewards/skins the tracer and widow skin were the only thing that interested me and the latter comes with the basic version.

I think only the $80 origin version comes with any extras. At least, as far as I can see.

• Options

I think only the $80 origin version comes with any extras. At least, as far as I can see.
    Unlock the Widowmaker Noire skin: Pre-purchase Overwatch and receive the special Noire skin for the deadly and ruthless Widowmaker. Clad in black and red, she stalks her prey like a venomous spider.

Right before the Origins edition list.

• Options

Unlock the Widowmaker Noire skin: Pre-purchase Overwatch and receive the special Noire skin for the deadly and ruthless Widowmaker. Clad in black and red, she stalks her prey like a venomous spider.

Right before the Origins edition list.

Ooh, was looking at a different page. Cool, thanks!

This discussion has been closed.