As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Release: May 24th / Animated shorts coming this Spring!

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    yeah i love supporting

BY FUCKIN MURDERING THESE KIDS WITH MY CADUCEUS BLASTER MERCY COMIN FOR U~

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    is there a gallery of new skins somewhere?

I don't know if there's a decent gallery of all the skins, but here are the new ones.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Fuck, that Lionhardt skin is good

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Ilios looks super pretty in those screens. Here's hoping they still send out beta invites after they've already announced release date and open beta.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    New Mei is A-mei-zing. Now I actually feel like secondary fire is worth using, instead of something I have no choice but to use while the enemy is far away. More spam means a lot more likely to hit squishies trying to duel you. And if you headshot, that's a dead Genji/Tracer/Zenyatta.

Bonus is you'll also get to use her ult a little more often since you'll probably be doing more damage too. I think she's a pretty good counter to what I feel like is a pretty squishy heavy meta.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I don't mind if shots in between Mei's secondary fire is long but the first shot is crucial on frozen opponents, especially if you have high ping. It should be fast imo

I also got the new 76 skin. It has a flowing cape and it is glorious

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Ilios looks super pretty in those screens. Here's hoping they still send out beta invites after they've already announced release date and open beta.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I've made peace with the fact that I won't play until May

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I've made peace with the fact that I won't play until May

I mean, yes, but...

If I have a chance at playing sooner, let me the hell at it.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2016
    edit: this wasn't the Division thread!

Echo on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    What are the default keys for asking for healing? For saying your ult charge?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    So I'm guessing all progress is wiped on launch day? I've given the beta enough of a try that I know I like it and will pre-order one of these days, but playing within a progression system that is going to get wiped is keeping me from playing much until release.

And I'm also guessing that the console versions don't come with any of the bonus stuff for HOTS and Hearthstone? It runs well enough on my computer, and will likely have longer legs on that platform, but it would look much nicer on my PS4, and I could maybe get my brother to play it too. Maybe I'll just buy it twice. It's not like Blizzard doesn't already have dibs on most of my money.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    The world needs heroes.

Just not me.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    What are the default keys for asking for healing? For saying your ult charge?

Z for ult charge

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    The world needs heroes.

Just not me.

The world could always use more heroes!

• Options
    So I'm guessing all progress is wiped on launch day? I've given the beta enough of a try that I know I like it and will pre-order one of these days, but playing within a progression system that is going to get wiped is keeping me from playing much until release.

Yeah, they'll wipe it come launch, and maybe during beta in case they want to overhaul progression speed and reward percentages and stuff.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    So there is a progression system in Overwatch? Thinking about getting it on PS4 when it launches, so I've been watching some gameplay videos on Youtube. What kind of progression system is it, and what are the rewards? Like cosmetic stuff? Also, do progression and rewards work in bot matches?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    It's all cosmetic/audio stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ocNrxbLtFs

• Options
    Oh cool, I'll check that video out when I get home so I can watch it with sound.

That main menu leads me to believe that Training is the only bot mode in the game, though. I like these shooters with the cool colorful characters with unique abilities, but I'm not so keen on the online competitive part that much anymore.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    The tl;dr: you get XP from matches, and level up. Each level gives one loot box with four items, one guaranteed blue, and if it's like Hearthstone each item has a 20% chance to roll a higher level until it fails a roll.

The XP per level starts low and increases per level, and caps at 22k XP around level 23-ish.

• Options
    You can play vs ai. I forget if you get xp for that?

• Options
    Limited ai options would be a bummer, but I'm still pretty certain I'm going to pick up Overwatch as it does look quite fun. I've found that I've kind of stopped enjoying online FPSs like CoD and Battlefield these past few years. Too frustrating for me. Overwatch looks like it plays kinda similar to PvZ Garden Warfare which I'm currently playing and loving to death(it's also a dream game for me because the whole thing is playable with bots only), so I still want to play it. Maybe I can convince my brother to get it, or play with PA folks so I have a group to play with :)

Tracer just looks super fun to annoy the shit out of people with. :3

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Tracer is fun to annoy the shit out of people with. But she's got a steeper learning curve then she appears to have at first sight, given that you really are spending most of your time annoying people rather then actually attempting to kill them in a one on one fight. I don't play her as much as I should since I'm still trying to get the hang of what best team comps and situations and maps to use her on.

Her main value to her team is as a capper and nuisance for the other team, and she builds up her ultimate for team fights and for opportune moments like breaking a turret nest/Bastion or killing a healer from behind the lines.

488W936.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I've only played in that stress test weekend, but it seemed like Tracer's primary job is to frustrate the enemy team enough that they start ignoring the objective and try to hunt her instead. If you have at least two of the enemy team trying to kill you, you're succeeding.

• Options
    She is p great at "making space". ZP was playing her yesterday and targetting Symmetras and Zenyattas, once they were dead he zipped back toward spawn to to try to catch them and kill them again. Meanwhile the rest of his team is fighting on the point with a numbers advantage as ZP stops or slows people from returning from spawn.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Tracer is still one of my favorites. Still have moments where I am like, I should be Reaper instead. They fill similar niches sometimes and Reaper is a bit tougher and much better at dealing with fatties. Also his ult can win a point in seconds and is easier to pull off than a golden pulse bomb.

Yesterday I was playing a lot of Tracer though. One of the biggest keys with her is that you need to know the map and every nook and cranny to move in. You want to annoy people as they spawn. Near the point, away from the point, and all over the map. Know all the hideaways and back alleys is key. Learn common teleporter placement as that is key to cracking some points verse Symmetras. You also excel at killing squishy supports. Mercy, Lucio(his lower damage helps you a lot), and Zens are all Tracer food as they are also Reaper food.

My other statement is learn to aim higher in the body. Those crit headshots help you get kills. And make sure you melee is an easy to hit button.

She is the best though. And golden pulse bombs feel great.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    i guess i was flagged for beta access in the latest wave. after having a not miserable but not really fun time in the stress test weekend, are there any specifically controller friendly characters besides reinhardt?

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I think Mercy, Junkrat, Pharah, and maybe D.va would all be viable with a controller. Lucio might be pretty good too and I'd bet it's easier to be really good with his wall jumping and parkour-like movement style with a controller.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    i guess i was flagged for beta access in the latest wave. after having a not miserable but not really fun time in the stress test weekend, are there any specifically controller friendly characters besides reinhardt?

Technically everyone is controller friendly since it is coming out for PS4/Xbone. But you will always be at a disadvantage on the PC I think. If you really want to play with the controller though Reinhardt, Winston, Symmetra, and Mercy all have kind of autoaim abilities. Junkrat is more target area and hope the angles favor you. I would avoid McCree, snipers, and Tracer. Pharah is pretty decent with the splash damage. I would say Reaper would be hard but being shot guns getting in close is the key. But it will be hard to circle strafe to victory.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Technically everyone is controller friendly since it is coming out for PS4/Xbone. But you will always be at a disadvantage on the PC I think. If you really want to play with the controller though Reinhardt, Winston, Symmetra, and Mercy all have kind of autoaim abilities. Junkrat is more target area and hope the angles favor you. I would avoid McCree, snipers, and Tracer. Pharah is pretty decent with the splash damage. I would say Reaper would be hard but being shot guns getting in close is the key. But it will be hard to circle strafe to victory.

if i end up getting overwatch it will be for consoles 100% never going to buy it on PC. i am going to give it another shot because right now it is probably a not buy, but we will see.

• Options
    Mei's a little silly right now, haha. She used to be pretty bad at medium range fighting, now she can just throw icicles at people all day.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I think they should just revert the travel speed so she's worse vs snipers/long range. It *is* a bit silly that I can out-Hanzo Hanzo.

But I think the QoL improvements for faster firing/more shots is still necessary to make her secondary fire worth using at all.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    where is the disagree button

mei needs toboggan mode for MAXIMUM VELOCITY it is the only way she will ever be stronk enuff

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    tonight I discovered

mei apparently can survive a full death blossom (no she did not ice block)

and even a stuck pulse bomb doesn't kill a lvl 2 torj turret

feelsbadman

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Ahaha, there's numerous threads on the forums about Mercy's new voice actress from upset Swedes and Germans because Mercy's new voice actress speaks in accent free German rather than Swiss German.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    tonight I discovered

mei apparently can survive a full death blossom (no she did not ice block)

and even a stuck pulse bomb doesn't kill a lvl 2 torj turret

feelsbadman

The bomb should kill the turret.

It will not kill the turret if the Torb molten cores though. Which is super annoying. I had a game last night where I dropped the pulse bomb twice on the same turret which the Torb would them molten core and didn't kill it till the third time where I stuck the Torb who was trying to repair a normal level 2 turret. Very frustrating.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Ahaha, there's numerous threads on the forums about Mercy's new voice actress from upset Swedes and Germans because Mercy's new voice actress speaks in accent free German rather than Swiss German.

It was an interesting choice to change it.

It's different but seems really close to my non native speaking ear. I understand they wanted to have some actual German lines in there. So I can see why they may have gotten a native speaker. I wonder if they got some flak cause the Germans spoke no German.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Just got into the closed beta last night. Haven't put in that much time, but I'm enjoying it. Wish the queue times for Vs AI weren't so stupid long, or that the open beta was here so I could actually group with friends.

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Where do the Swedes come into it?

• Options
    I know how Lucio fans felt, now; I don't really like Mercy's new tone. She seems too young and carefree for what she's supposedly been through.

This discussion has been closed.