Options

I Have A Cunning [Chat]!

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    oh man these toots continue unabated

sarah has instructed me to take some gas-x to see if that will stop the bhole birth of these abominations

I didn't even know we had this medicine!

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Rad and Skippy I have between trying to figure out how I am different from everyone who loved that waste of time for three days

sig.gif
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    The only cool and interesting thing about Too Many Cooks is the (apparently) accidental bird.

I also did not find it funny

it's settled then

serial killers

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    If my beard attempt is still sparse and transparent at 9 days does that mean it's time to abort?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I mean just to be clear here

Her response to the serial killer wasn't terror or that poor crazy person

It's: Yeah, he should kill them. He's the only cook.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    they... keep doing that. Clever. Clever.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Chanus fight me

sig.gif
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Alright so I Tinder matched a girl

Pretty

But her grammar sucks and she has a pet pig named Prada

Online dating is the most depressing thing

"What I want to know is what idiot called your pig Prada instead of Piggie Smalls"

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Okay home.

Holy shit my boss was drunk.

He was so drunk.

Met a bunch of my team. Cool folks.

I got a hug when I left from the lady who works with the marine corp international command. She was cool.

Basically had a ton of fun. Crohns kicking my butt again. So I left saying I was tired.

Also I am exhausted.

Body fuck you.

Feel better dude :(

My colitis has been acting up recently as well.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    If my beard attempt is still sparse and transparent at 9 days does that mean it's time to abort?

give it two weeks

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Mortious wrote: »
    "Is life always this hard, or just when you're a kid?"

"Always like this."

I wish my life was as hard as it was when I was a kid.

You don't like Beethoven!

Aglaonema-%27B.J.-Freeman%27.gif

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options

It means it was time to abort eight days ago

sig.gif
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    does anyone else like wearing overly snug kitchen latex gloves and forming a fist to make fart noises

NO HURTFUL COMMENTS PLEASE
    I wear gloves daily. I don't think I have ever tried this.....

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Too Many Cooks isn't "funny" in the ha ha sense.

It is a rather genius take on 90s sitcoms, how they change over the years as they stay on the air, and then become monstrous, shambling corpses regurgitating the same shit only more extreme over time.

A couple of odd pacing issues aside, it is one of the better short films I have seen this year; would be awesome to see it get some recognition.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    hey ronya tell me I'm right about rent control--I'm right aren't I?

I felt like I was talking like an economist, and a great chill passed over my soul

whobuhwhatwhere

I feel like a teacher has just called on me when I wasn't listening!

the rent control / urban planning thread!

well - at least in your (and mine?) intellectual circles, you should be prepared for the possibility that one writes "well it's obvious we shouldn't legally protect industries from automation, therefore by analogy we shouldn't protect neighbourhoods from technological shocks either" and then someone pounces and declares WAIT I THINK WE SHOULD LEGALLY PROTECT INDUSTRIES FROM AUTOMATION and then you're suddenly stuck with the horrible rhetorical terrain of defending capitalism qua capitalism, the capitalism of the luddites and the early industrial revolution, with enclosures and corporate armies and colonial genocide. Gandhi may show up. Anarcho-primitivism and other radical critiques of consumerism also make an appearance. Your opponent may perform a quickstep between quasi-Keynesian 1960s-flavoured demand-as-socially-unproductive-creation-of-makework and 1980s unemployment-as-the-prime-evil-of-evils, and it is extraordinarily difficult to pin them down. Especially since political scientists and philosophers tend to love the economics-as-a-salad-bar literary practice that I complain so much about.

What I'm saying is, your argument isn't wrong but it is rather flaunting its weaknesses and then not defending them.

The argument from inevitably corrupt political control over local government is plausible, but a little involved, and not obviously true either. You can set it forth, but for the relevant audiences, you have a duty to refute the obligation to defer to local government, rather having someone else refute the duty to defer to central government; this isn't the 1960s apogee of central comprehensive planning of local services. It also isn't Singapore (probably). You can't take it for granted that fellow vaguely-left-leaning intellectuals will agree that humanity has to defer to the Gosplan. Instead there's a lot of the opposite - local government assumed to be not only less corrupt, less rigid, more representative, more efficient etc. but also exercising some independent sovereignty. A human right to local government, so to speak.

If you say "but local government is inefficient then you are valuing economic efficiency over democratic sovereignty, which immediately discredits you - so the question of the level at which democratic mandates are granted needs to be tackled first.

The last argument from mobility walks you into a fight over neoliberalism in the most abstract sense. Easy mobility is one of those complicated economic goods where the extreme lowest and the extreme highest on the privilege curve arguably do not benefit (the former don't move, the latter move regardless), so you are stuck in terrible rhetorical terrain where it's not really clear whether your chosen horse in the Oppression tourney is the deserving working class or the undeserving petite-bourgeosie.

WHY IS EVERYTHING COMPLICATED

Most philosophers I know aren't going to stand up for out-and-out luddism, and are not that into the really radical critiques of capitalism. We're a pretty petty bougie bunch, and satisfied with that.

Even if mobility directly benefits the middle more than the bottom, can't you always redistribute benefits by transfer payments and get pareto improvement?

It seems to me like the hardest counter-argument (which connects to some of the corporate army etc stuff) is that even though a regime of transfer payments is more efficient and generates a larger surplus and higher quality of life for everyone, such a scheme will simply never in a million years happen. We have to settle for stuff like this not because it's better, but because it's possible and better than the actual alternative (which is pure rapacious development with no safety net). But I dunno what you think.

if you are arguing with someone who concedes the entire neoliberal artifice, both its neoclassical logic and its ethical abstractions, but exclusively argues that third-way New Labour compromise won't actually carry out any redistribution, then one can say well that's an empirical question at this point since New Labour has come and gone, and so:

didlabourfail-figure1-version1.png

but since 2007-2008 it has become much harder to get away with the Argument From New Labour, I trust you can guess why

(did I mention have fun it is to argue with people who cite the most insane contemporary American neo-austrianisms as to how easy credit made the financial crisis inevitable, then hop to the most unreconstructed 60s Keynesian assertions about the state imperative toward full employment from easy credit in the next breath, and see no contradiction whatosever?)

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    a pet pig named prada, bad grammar

sign me up

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Tav I lol'd

Also I asked her about the pig clothes

Hannah pls

• Options
    I don't think Too Many Cooks is especially funny.

I think it's brilliant and terrifying.

• Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    Seriously, they were all so annoying someone had to do something about it and that was a man with a plan.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I have begun to watch the blacklist with LFE now that we've finished gilmore girls

James Spader is a delight.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Okay home.

Holy shit my boss was drunk.

He was so drunk.

Met a bunch of my team. Cool folks.

I got a hug when I left from the lady who works with the marine corp international command. She was cool.

Basically had a ton of fun. Crohns kicking my butt again. So I left saying I was tired.

Also I am exhausted.

Body fuck you.

Feel better dude :(

My colitis has been acting up recently as well.

I have been trying to figure out what set it off.

I think it is stress from my new job and the fact I am not assigned anywhere.

Food changes haven't done anything.

I will have a long talk with my doc. The thing is this weekend it was pretty much okay and today I had no pain till tonight.

So rally I think it is a stress thing.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

give it two weeks
    I tell all the baby faced to give it a month.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

I'll post a pathetic beard attempt selfie if you do

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    i went into une chiene andalou expecting to lol

0/10 disappointed

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    Too Many Cooks isn't "funny" in the ha ha sense.

It is a rather genius take on 90s sitcoms, how they change over the years as they stay on the air, and then become monstrous, shambling corpses regurgitating the same shit only more extreme over time.

A couple of odd pacing issues aside, it is one of the better short films I have seen this year; would be awesome to see it get some recognition.

Rad's reply: No seriously, it was the stupidest piece of shit.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    The Christmas ads have started. :(

• Options
    It is depressing, because I see what could be and it would look damn good on me, but I don't know if additional length is going to effectively fill this in or if I just don't have it in me.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    build a time machine so you can warn yourself that you'll look slightly foolish in public

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    there's too many cooks

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    my neckbeard grows significantly quicker than my cheeks or tache

the last while has been an exercise in keeping that trimmed while letting everything catch up

i am starting to get a really full stubble going, hopefully it will turn into beard

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    The mysteries are pedestrian and the action sequences are silly as hell but god damn jimmy spud is one creepy creep

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    does anyone else like wearing overly snug kitchen latex gloves and forming a fist to make fart noises

This seems like something I might find myself unconsciously doing.

So you're only as broken as me.

Daps
    Fart daps

Now I'm wishing that all daps caused fart noises.

Would it then be "Farps," or could we say "Darps?"

• Options
    P10 wrote: »
    build a time machine so you can warn yourself that you'll look slightly foolish in public

P10 don't be ridiculous

I haven't been out in public

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I stopped like a minute in to the Too Many Cooks.

It kept fucking going.

I was like nope.

Not for me.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Excuse me everyone

My wife and I are having a serious argument about the internet

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    The only cool and interesting thing about Too Many Cooks is the (apparently) accidental bird.

I also did not find it funny

WHAT THE FUCK FIRST THE BALD EAGLE THING AND NOW THIS

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »

P10 don't be ridiculous

I haven't been out in public
    then you can still save yourself

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I don't think this is brilliant

making fun of 90s TV is shooting fish in the barrel of circular swimming

and it is indeed not ha ha funny. And not non ha ha funny.

The only clever thing they do is put tits in it every so often so that I feel less annoyed and think I might try to stick it through after all.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »
    Excuse me everyone

My wife and I are having a serious argument about the internet

Rad is excused, you are not

sig.gif
  • Options
    I enjoy the reaction to too many cooks more than I enjoyed the actual thing

If it was like five minutes shorter I think itd have been perfect

Wait

That was the point all along

The disease is inside me

Lh96QHG.png
This discussion has been closed.