if you squint

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    the pic i posted was actually from katz's seemed small tho

poo
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    okay that is just a stupid way to make a sandwich at that point

what is even the point of making it a sandwich if you're just going to try to dilute it with meat

does the ideal reuben approach 100% meat as the size approaches infinity

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »
    hey ronya tell me I'm right about rent control--I'm right aren't I?

I felt like I was talking like an economist, and a great chill passed over my soul

whobuhwhatwhere

I feel like a teacher has just called on me when I wasn't listening!

the rent control / urban planning thread!

well - at least in your (and mine?) intellectual circles, you should be prepared for the possibility that one writes "well it's obvious we shouldn't legally protect industries from automation, therefore by analogy we shouldn't protect neighbourhoods from technological shocks either" and then someone pounces and declares WAIT I THINK WE SHOULD LEGALLY PROTECT INDUSTRIES FROM AUTOMATION and then you're suddenly stuck with the horrible rhetorical terrain of defending capitalism qua capitalism, the capitalism of the luddites and the early industrial revolution, with enclosures and corporate armies and colonial genocide. Gandhi may show up. Anarcho-primitivism and other radical critiques of consumerism also make an appearance. Your opponent may perform a quickstep between quasi-Keynesian 1960s-flavoured demand-as-socially-unproductive-creation-of-makework and 1980s unemployment-as-the-prime-evil-of-evils, and it is extraordinarily difficult to pin them down. Especially since political scientists and philosophers tend to love the economics-as-a-salad-bar literary practice that I complain so much about.

What I'm saying is, your argument isn't wrong but it is rather flaunting its weaknesses and then not defending them.

The argument from inevitably corrupt political control over local government is plausible, but a little involved, and not obviously true either. You can set it forth, but for the relevant audiences, you have a duty to refute the obligation to defer to local government, rather having someone else refute the duty to defer to central government; this isn't the 1960s apogee of central comprehensive planning of local services. It also isn't Singapore (probably). You can't take it for granted that fellow vaguely-left-leaning intellectuals will agree that humanity has to defer to the Gosplan. Instead there's a lot of the opposite - local government assumed to be not only less corrupt, less rigid, more representative, more efficient etc. but also exercising some independent sovereignty. A human right to local government, so to speak.

If you say "but local government is inefficient then you are valuing economic efficiency over democratic sovereignty, which immediately discredits you - so the question of the level at which democratic mandates are granted needs to be tackled first.

The last argument from mobility walks you into a fight over neoliberalism in the most abstract sense. Easy mobility is one of those complicated economic goods where the extreme lowest and the extreme highest on the privilege curve arguably do not benefit (the former don't move, the latter move regardless), so you are stuck in terrible rhetorical terrain where it's not really clear whether your chosen horse in the Oppression tourney is the deserving working class or the undeserving petite-bourgeosie.

WHY IS EVERYTHING COMPLICATED

Most philosophers I know aren't going to stand up for out-and-out luddism, and are not that into the really radical critiques of capitalism. We're a pretty petty bougie bunch, and satisfied with that.

Even if mobility directly benefits the middle more than the bottom, can't you always redistribute benefits by transfer payments and get pareto improvement?

It seems to me like the hardest counter-argument (which connects to some of the corporate army etc stuff) is that even though a regime of transfer payments is more efficient and generates a larger surplus and higher quality of life for everyone, such a scheme will simply never in a million years happen. We have to settle for stuff like this not because it's better, but because it's possible and better than the actual alternative (which is pure rapacious development with no safety net). But I dunno what you think.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Alright so I Tinder matched a girl

Pretty

But her grammar sucks and she has a pet pig named Prada

Online dating is the most depressing thing

wait bad grammar?

send her my way...

Sralczeck pls

wat i kno wat i like

also pet pig tho...

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Upon first sight of the ideal reuben thoughts turn to colon cancer and dying on the toilet.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    Dammit, [chat], stop poasting sammich pics!

I just ate a bowlful of broccoli and spoiled-ass-beef cuz that's p much what I can spare for myself.

Oh well, I've got two job interviews this week. Hopefully the one that can kinda pay my bills hires me.

good luck, yo :^:

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    good news for me, there is a great place for cubans next to work.

i know what i'm having for lunch tomorrow.

• Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    what do you call a forged piece of paper used to illegally access nicki minaj's bank accounts?
    a surreality cheque

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »

what is even the point of making it a sandwich if you're just going to try to dilute it with meat

american food culture is an exercise in the absurd

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular

Pretty

wait bad grammar?

send her my way...

Sralczeck pls

4neck8

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    "Is life always this hard, or just when you're a kid?"

"Always like this."

sig.gif
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular

Pretty

bad grammar can be fixed though

• Options
    it actually works well tho on like a proper pastrami sammich cuz the meat is so soft and the bread is just like the right amount and idk

like that sammich i had at 2nd ave deli a few weeks back was perf

i literally just had pastrami and rye, and put a bit o mustard on it, nothing else

poo
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »

I mean, I don't eat a reuben all the time.

But if I did it sure as shit wouldn't be a Katz one because I would die in a month.

But for the occasional drunk treat, there is something amazing about having half of an animal put between two slices of bread and served to you.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular

Pretty

also pet pigs are p rad

• Options
    I actually feel bad about that post.

Like... did I actually type that?

What's become of me!?

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

"Always like this."

I wish my life was as hard as it was when I was a kid.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    i want katz's now

poo
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

Pretty

wait bad grammar?

send her my way...

Sralczeck pls

wat i kno wat i like

also pet pig tho...

Dude I'm guessing there is a 99% chance that she dresses this pig in little pig clothes.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    you can order katz's online its just mad expensive

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Pretty

also pet pigs are p rad

cc5c922d5f00c794f6faa639dc178e64.jpg

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    So... I was watching Batman (the Keaton one) earlier today, and in passing my brain went "hey, wut..." So I rewound, and holy fuck the Gotham City flag appears to be the Indiana state-flag with "Gotham City" written on it.

I don't know if I should try to interpret this as some commentary on Indiana or not. I'm not sure how I'll relate corn and Gotham City. :P

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular

Pretty

wait bad grammar?

send her my way...

Sralczeck pls

wat i kno wat i like

also pet pig tho...

Dude I'm guessing there is a 99% chance that she dresses this pig in little pig clothes.

so cute

still not seeing downsides

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    haha that bald eagle

is this

is this post about me

oh no they released a bald eagle and had it fly around the stadium during the national anthem at the start of this football game

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

Pretty

With a properly capitalized D, amirite?!

• Options
    does anyone else like wearing overly snug kitchen latex gloves and forming a fist to make fart noises

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    omfg

Rad is completely unaffected by Too Many Cooks. Like, at all. This was her annoyed response:

"He's the only cook there's too many so he killed all the rest because he's the only cook."

@‌Cambiata

• Options
    My wife is the serial killer.

• Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    The only cool and interesting thing about Too Many Cooks is the (apparently) accidental bird.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

Pretty

why... why would you fix it...

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    YOU'RE A SERIAL KILLER GET OUT OF MY HOUSE

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    does anyone else like wearing overly snug kitchen latex gloves and forming a fist to make fart noises

NO HURTFUL COMMENTS PLEASE

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    The only cool and interesting thing about Too Many Cooks is the (apparently) accidental bird.

I also did not find it funny

• Options

This seems like something I might find myself unconsciously doing.

So you're only as broken as me.

Daps

• Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    Skippy, let's be bros. Bros with good taste.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Okay home.

Holy shit my boss was drunk.

He was so drunk.

Met a bunch of my team. Cool folks.

I got a hug when I left from the lady who works with the marine corp international command. She was cool.

Basically had a ton of fun. Crohns kicking my butt again. So I left saying I was tired.

Also I am exhausted.

Body fuck you.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

"Always like this."

I wish my life was as hard as it was when I was a kid.

You don't like Beethoven!

sig.gif
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I am finally watching too many cooks

props for well timed rude titties

because I was just going "jesus fuck have I not missed 90s television I'm not sure I want to watch even a - oh hello"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »

This seems like something I might find myself unconsciously doing.

So you're only as broken as me.

Daps
    Fart daps

This discussion has been closed.