Options

post your picture in remembrance of flarne, killed by a light switch

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    AJR wrote: »
    I do not mean to alarm you Lala, but you appear to be sideways.

You should probably talk to a doctor about that.

Huh, it's the right way up for me

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I just checked on my phone and it's the right way up. I guess it's just that the outdated version of internet explorer my workplace uses doesn't like it for some reason...

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Haircut!

dTF4ySu.jpg

Lalabox on
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that one's sideways, too.

And I would awesome your pictures, but I'm too bitter about your nice weather.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    It's the right way up for me!

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    lala lives in the bizarro zone, where right side up is sideways and december is summer

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    are they only the right side up for australians

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    are they only the right side up for australians

No, they're rotated 90 degrees anti-clockwise for me. I am on a computer though, not a phone.

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    did you keep yr shades on during the haircut too?

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    It's the right way up for me!

Sure, but you live in Australia.

• Options
    exist wrote: »
    did you keep yr shades on during the haircut too?

Australia is too bright to ever take them off

• Options
    Christmas being a beach holiday is the best thing about Australia

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Christmas being a severe cyclonic weather period is the "best" thing about Australia

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Christmas being a severe cyclonic weather period is the "best" thing about Australia

Darwin LOVES cyclones, that's their whole thing.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Haircut!

dTF4ySu.jpg
    MadEddy wrote: »
    Yeah, that one's sideways, too.

And I would awesome your pictures, but I'm too bitter about your nice weather.

Ya , like, don't rub it in so hard Lala! This was my run to the store just now!

10430883_10153315956696091_4235405699531272023_n.jpg?oh=4fb020db88eb6e5a83cbf252285e53d4&oe=54897218&__gda__=1418219959_30892a0dade8f0a72a09446e5750b69a

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    what's that samson, you think I need to shave? why don't you shave. those whiskers are out of control!

PICT2660_zpstvobi7nr.jpg

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Oof, that cat knows he just got burned

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Last weekend I coached a pickup, coed roller derby team for an exhibition tournament.

10849959_671472479637803_8033333880733477262_n.jpg?oh=efaecbe31f532fbf83e7b0b1fe8f6f74&oe=550331C7&__gda__=1427324443_238feab9cd3c9d35bf209361d8ce370f

We were called the Mainland Mashup and had a scoop of rollerskating mashed potatoes on our yellow jerseys. Everyone had potato names.
    Silence of the Yams, Optimash Prime, Spudnik, Vladimir Poutine...

I was Square Root.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Would you say the color of those jerseys is Yukon Gold?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    MRg3Hnn.jpg

let's all hang out

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    MRg3Hnn.jpg

let's all hang out

That Robot hat seems dangerous to drink with, at some point in the night, a Head tilt is going to turn into a fight with gravity that won't end well for the drunk person!

( Awesome robot hat otherwise tho!)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    Fell asleep working at a hotel. My little sister took the picture:

sleepingme_zpsd976c3a6.jpg

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    More Re enactment pictures!

Siege of Kenilworth Caste - English Heritage built us a fighting platform on the wall and gave us all Crossbows:

1798453_616395795137930_6492420489547028703_n.jpg?oh=b0c2bfcf26254098f3f9b15ce13daab1&oe=5545E51C

Dover Clash of Knights

1458697_529520387158805_2379720625950862711_n.jpg?oh=eba62be14ca704660748ce00aa83ea26&oe=550520C4

• Options
    I have a lot of similar photos!

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I would love to join a battle reenactment group! At the moment its time and lack of a car, but one day! Sealed knot lets ladies fight which is great.

• Options
    We also let ladies fight! But I won't advertise our group here! As long as you have fighting kit it don't matter! Our leader is female, she rules us with an iron fist.

• Options
    IMG_7225.JPG

• Options
    ooh when the time comes and if I'm in your area I may ask about your group then!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    1798453_616395795137930_6492420489547028703_n.jpg?oh=b0c2bfcf26254098f3f9b15ce13daab1&oe=5545E51C

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries!"

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    I would love to join a battle reenactment group! At the moment its time and lack of a car, but one day! Sealed knot lets ladies fight which is great.

Why would they not let ladies fight, that's silly! Actually, I've come to think that even in a real fight, female fighters would not be at a huge disadvantage since using a sword effectively doesn't require much upper body strength. I heard that some of the weapons used in reenactments are heavier than real swords, though.

• Options
    edited December 2014

Why would they not let ladies fight, that's silly! Actually, I've come to think that even in a real fight, female fighters would not be at a huge disadvantage since using a sword effectively doesn't require much upper body strength. I heard that some of the weapons used in re enactments are heavier than real swords, though.

Most women in our group don't fight. The main concern for event organisers is that it's as authentic as possible. If a woman is wearing mail it's pretty hard to tell what gender they are! Swiniging a sword does take quite a bit of strength but it's nothing you can't gain from practising quite a lot, you have to bear in mind you also have the weight of your armour to work with as well.

SharpyVII on
  • Options

Why would they not let ladies fight, that's silly! Actually, I've come to think that even in a real fight, female fighters would not be at a huge disadvantage since using a sword effectively doesn't require much upper body strength. I heard that some of the weapons used in reenactments are heavier than real swords, though.

I remember when I saw battle reenactments as a kid I didn't see any ladies fighting, but things have changed since it seems which is awesome! Does it not? I didn't know that! Good job cause I'm weak as heck

• Options
    I have a pile of weapon catalogues I grabbed for cheap and most one-handed swords in there weigh only slightly above a kilogram (many less). Even the large Zweihander-type swords don't weigh as much as video and role-playing games would lead you to believe, although I think you'd quickly tire under field conditions (I'm using the word Zweihander because these are catalogues of Central European weaponry).

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

Liiya I picture you more with one of these anyway

Morning_Star_Flail_XH2142.jpg

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    I've not weighed my weapon but it is quite blade heavy. I bought a pretty big sword ford a one handed weapon. Some are quite light but my sword is huge. But the cool thing is that you can still balance it on one finger as the pommel will be bigger for a heavier blade!

1014341_388695251241320_1978110535_n.jpg?oh=88d6a2b4cc25f2db5c28032fe0c5da8f&oe=550779EC&__gda__=1430654790_f381b326c41f4883cca1708f569be7e5

• Options
    edited December 2014

Most women in our group end up using spears/glaives which is great as they are the weapons that get the kills. In a shield wall it's hard for the heavy infantry to get hits on the enemy as you're pressed so close, so the spears just stab in any gaps they can find. The heavy infantry just engage the enemy and keep them busy whilst the spears do all the killing! I got my first scar from a spear...

In this picture the spears are on the flanks instead of the second row:

Hastings.jpg

I'll stop hijacking the thread now!

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Most women in our group end up using spears/glaives which is great as they are the weapons that get the kills.

That's interesting, because in Japan, modern naginatajutsu is mostly practised by women. Naginata were historically associated with female members of the samurai class who would use it as a weapon of personal defense and last resort. I read that using a polearm does not only negate some of the strength advantage men have over women (on average) but also a possible reach advantage (since women are, on average, smaller than men).

There's a few videos of fights between naginatajutsu and kendo practitioners on Youtube and well, the fighters with the naginata usually come out on top.

Platy on
  • Options

Ohh ho that is so cool!

I could definitely pick up a spear! Or a bow. They're light too.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular

Practical swords are 2-7 pounds, with most being dialed in around 4-5. Combat is much more of an endurance thing...woman as a whole aren't particularly at any disadvantage in armed combat that a man of similar size, particularly similar height, wouldn't be. Reach is probably actually the single greatest advantage of frame in armed combat, followed by flexibility, which women have in spades... big muscles are nice for a while but hit a point of diminishing returns when they start demanding water and brotein. General athleticism is more important than any one type of strength for swordfighting.

This discussion has been closed.