Options

[Doctor Who] Anything but Sue!

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Okay. Possible Pandorica Timey Whimey thing in the first new episode or possibly a continuity error.
    When Ryan is in the woods looking for his bike he has nothing in his left hand. When the air symbol appears he still does not. When the giant blue pod warps in he shields his eyes and in his left hand is something red and glowy. It then disappears almost immediately after. It made me think of Matt Smith with his jacket talking to blind Amy in the Angel episode that turned out not to be a continuity error and actually was a thing.

So is this a thing? The only other thing it could be is maybe the reflector off his bike and they cut a quick shot of him picking it up off the ground?
    Yeah I noticed that during my watch and was confused when it never came up. I thought maybe it was his phone but it really looked like a jewel?

It's probably just a continuity error
    it was the rear light cluster from the bike
    Yeah but that's what everyone told me when I pointed out the pushed up jacket sleeves in Time of Angels and I turned out to be right! I mean I'm probably wrong in this case but damn it I'm not giving up the fight!

I think the difference is we were meant to find that one odd. This is a weird edit mistake

Don't take this dream from me!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I liked the new episode and the companions and the Doctor.
    This was the first no Tardis episode in a long time. When was the last time we never saw the Tardis at all? SOme of the early Tom Baker stories for sure.
    I'm trying to think if there was any Tardis appearance in Planet of the Dead - I'm not sure there was

Edit: Actually, does the Tardis put in an appearance in Midnight?

Edit2: Strictly speaking, it doesn't appear in Heaven Sent. Although there's a sort of mind-palacey thing going on, so maybe we oughtn't count that.

mattclem on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    It was in Planet of the Dead, at the end.

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Okay. Possible Pandorica Timey Whimey thing in the first new episode or possibly a continuity error.
    When Ryan is in the woods looking for his bike he has nothing in his left hand. When the air symbol appears he still does not. When the giant blue pod warps in he shields his eyes and in his left hand is something red and glowy. It then disappears almost immediately after. It made me think of Matt Smith with his jacket talking to blind Amy in the Angel episode that turned out not to be a continuity error and actually was a thing.

So is this a thing? The only other thing it could be is maybe the reflector off his bike and they cut a quick shot of him picking it up off the ground?
    Yeah I noticed that during my watch and was confused when it never came up. I thought maybe it was his phone but it really looked like a jewel?

It's probably just a continuity error
    it was the rear light cluster from the bike
    Yeah but that's what everyone told me when I pointed out the pushed up jacket sleeves in Time of Angels and I turned out to be right! I mean I'm probably wrong in this case but damn it I'm not giving up the fight!

I think the difference is we were meant to find that one odd. This is a weird edit mistake

Don't take this dream from me!

Tim, i noticed it and expect something to come up later about it but it didn’t.

I’m with ya mate!

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I watched this. Jodie Whittaker was very good, note-perfect tbh. The rest of the episode was not so great. The new companions lack character, and the attempt at disabled representation was very poorly handled.
    The nanna was cruel and condescending to her grandson. Taking him up to a mountain to practise riding a bike for hours at a time is about the worst way to deal with dyspraxia, let alone while also humiliating him by making him do it in front of the granddad that he doesn't like much. It's a very poor choice of "bad skill" for a young adult, because the entire framing of the first scene was infantilising and reminiscent of something you would do with a literal child, not to mention the fact that it's a skill which is borderline useless in modern life. Infantilising people with disabilities is Very Bad, especially disabilities that suffer from being constantly associated with children. Apart from anything else, why would you start bike lessons on a fucking mountain? You know what the easiest thing to ride a bike on is? Tarmac. She also speaks for him, and tells other people about his condition without asking him first. That is not her call, and is a fucked up thing to do.

TLDR I thought she was a nasty, patronising, condescending, self-absorbed character and was delighted when she died. The disability representation was... well it was a nice thought, but poorly researched and badly executed. It feels like Chibnall read a thinkpiece about Dyspraxia and then went and wrote an episode about it without doing any further research.

I felt this exact way about that whole mess.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Regarding self defense
    That wasn't self-defense. Tim Shaw was done for already from the gene bombs, kicking him off was pointless. It was no different than Harriet Jones shooting the Sycorax in the back. The Doctor doesn't condone it.

Not everyone has plot armor working for them like the Doctor:
    And does he/we know how fast those work? Didn't seem too fast. Do we know he wouldn't try to take someone with him? Hell, the Doctor was lucky Mr. Teeth didn't just kill him ASAP like he should have if they didn't need to have him 'kill himself'.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Minor disappointment: the last season ends with "oh no The Doctor is in freefall, how will she get out of this one?" and the answer is "she's fine, she can fall far, whatever."

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Regarding self defense
    That wasn't self-defense. Tim Shaw was done for already from the gene bombs, kicking him off was pointless. It was no different than Harriet Jones shooting the Sycorax in the back. The Doctor doesn't condone it.
    Harriet Jones was completely justified in what she did.

Narbus on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »
    Regarding self defense
    Harriet Jones was completely justified in what she did.
    I wouldn't say she was 100% justified but it's very understandable why she did it. The Doctor came off as pretty unreliable in that situation and this was just one race of jackasses Earth had to deal with on it's own. Plus she was likely briefed by Torchwood about the Doctor and I wouldn't be surprised if she saw his work in the past as not a hard deterrent to unfriendlies seeing how many times guys like the Daleks and Cybers have shown up. I love Ten but he really screwed up hard taking the route he did to Harriet's actions due to his hubris.

• Options
    Boy is Ten destroying a woman's political career by saying she looks tired a thing that didn't age well.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Minor disappointment: the last season ends with "oh no The Doctor is in freefall, how will she get out of this one?" and the answer is "she's fine, she can fall far, whatever."

It’s probably because she was still in the first 15 hours of regeneration, but it was odd there wasn’t even a throwaway line about that.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    They established with Ten and River that Time Lords are pretty much invincible for a few hours after regeneration. There's that later scene where
    she passed out and starts glowing with regen energy, it looks like it's under her skin rather than sparkling off her like it did with Eleven. I think the implication is that the fall fucked her up pretty badly, but she didn't notice due to everything else going on. She comments on being in a bunch of pain a couple times.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Also, Ten jumped out of a plane and fell through a roof in The End of Time, and while it cut him up a bit it wasn't enough to trigger a regeneration by itself. I guess the precedent is that, even well after their regenerations, Time Lords have substantially stronger bodies than humans do.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Unless you're falling maybe a hundred feet off a radio telescope, I guess.

• Options
    Unless you're falling maybe a hundred feet off a radio telescope, I guess.

Ummmmmmm Time Lord physiology was enhanced during the Time War? Let's go with that.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Boy is Ten destroying a woman's political career by saying she looks tired a thing that didn't age well.

Not that this makes it play any better these days, but I have a vague memory of it being a thing that was starting to be said about Blair, who was nearing the end of his tenure around that time, and RTD was mirroring it. I could be wrong, though.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    In the latest ep:
    What was up with that puff of regen energy that she breathed out? It looked like it was flying off somewhere...

Bad joke: We get it, you extermivape.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    In the latest ep:
    What was up with that puff of regen energy that she breathed out? It looked like it was flying off somewhere...

Bad joke: We get it, you extermivape.
    For a second there I was afraid it was gonna cure main dude's dysphraxia but I think it was just a quick "hey she's really an alien"

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Not mad keen on the new theme music, and it not coming after a cold open, but
    I am 100% down for a Tardis that makes custard creams on demand.

Bogart on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    New Tardis, now with hubcaps! Custard Cream dispenser available in your local Halfords.

Like the titles and now she's solidifying a bit I do like new Doctor, especially her tendency towards tinkering her way out of a dead end

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
  • Options
    New title sequence:

https://youtu.be/7lUz0xU5d9g

It's pretty, but I loved the spiraling clockface titles so much... Also Jodie's face should be in the stars at the end.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I *really* like that

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    New Tardis is far too dim! Someone turn a light on in there!

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    I *really* like that
    It's good. Not huge on the drop but it has visuals reminiscent of the 1st doctor and the bass punch of 80's Tom Baker *thumbs up*

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I like the title a lot more than Capeldi's, the clocks were too claustrophobic.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/YCAn2lUEcg4
    I have a bad feeling about this

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Oh no. Oh no

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I will just mention that Graham is a bus driver.

• Options
    Also the writer is a black, female award winning writer of children's fiction (a former Children's Laureate, no less). Maybe it'll be terrible but that's exactly who you'd want writing about Rosa Parks and the Doctor.

• Options
    I think the episode might be keeping her on the periphery? It looks like the plot is about keeping history intact, some future asshole is trying to kill her to alter the course of the civil rights movement, which could mean our gang is also interacting with her as little as possible?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    The new opening sequence just sounds like a slightly mangled and muted version of the old ones to me.

Probably because it is, but.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I watched the first episode of this new one, the first Doctor Who thing I've ever seen

I liked it! If this show really is basically just a collection of sci-fi short stories with the same lead character and a few recurring peripheral characters, I could get into this

My girlfriend, however, who is a longtime Who fan, was not into it, she didn't like Whittaker at all

but her favorite modern Doctor is Christopher Eccleston, which I am told is a bit of an outlier

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Eccleston being her favorite isn't really that much of an outlier, I think. I go back and forth between him and Capaldi, myself.

I'm kind of surprised she was that down on Whittaker, I don't think I've actually seen anyone be down on her really at all yet.

• Options
    I didn't dislike her, but wasn't really sold for a lot of the first episode, but I guess she wasn't really playing the Thirteenth Doctor yet. Everything after she got to the crane was perfect tho.

Also, didn't appreciate it at the time, but on rewatch she totally threw in a Capaldi moment!
    when she first mentions the TARDIS and remembers it disappeared, she raises her hands to the sky all theatrically and gasps. That's right out of Capaldi's moveset

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I thought the second episode was pretty bad. Futuristic Sci-fi episodes are normally pretty weak, but this one was anchored with bad performances from the guest stars. The companions have also failed to really make an impression, and the Call Of Duty joke (with comedy scream) made me cringe. That character, as previously established, would absolutely not want to do something fiddly and physical like that, either.

So far the new Doctor is good, the show looks great and everything aside from that is bad.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I thought the second episode was pretty bad. Futuristic Sci-fi episodes are normally pretty weak, but this one was anchored with bad performances from the guest stars. The companions have also failed to really make an impression, and the Call Of Duty joke (with comedy scream) made me cringe. That character, as previously established, would absolutely not want to do something fiddly and physical like that, either.

So far the new Doctor is good, the show looks great and everything aside from that is bad.

"I have dyspraxia to the extent that I cannot ride a bike and am uncomfortable climbing ladders. What I think I should do now is physical combat"

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains