• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    A new minisode

featuring Rory Williams

written by Neil Gaiman

WHAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVqW4XjZwC8

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind a spin-off show about their lives in early 20th Century New York, if every episode was written by Neil Gaiman. :)

• Options
    Paul Cornell's prologue and epilogue to Human Nature/Family of Blood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSfOgnDhmRc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0U_QD568iw

I'm liking this new season.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I would love it if Paul Cornell wrote another full episode again some day gosh

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    There are maybe a handful of people in the world who can write a better Doctor Who story than Paul Cornell, but there are none who can write a better Doctor. His grasp of the character is unmatched.

• Options
    Oh damn, this looks cool as heck
    Time Lord Victorious is a brand-new multi-platform Doctor Who story told across audio, novels, comics, vinyl, digital, immersive theatre, escape rooms and games!

Time Lord Victorious will launch in September 2020 over twelve weeks, with products and experiences releasing from September until January 2021.

Time Lord Victorious will be set within the Dark Times at the start of the universe, when even the Eternals were young. It features the Eighth, Ninth and Tenth Doctors, travelling across Space and Time as they defend the universe from a terrible race.

As well as three Doctors, companion Rose Tyler and monsters including the Daleks and the Ood will feature, plus more to be revealed over the coming months as products are announced.

Partners involved in the project include Penguin Random House, BBC Books, Doctor Who Magazine, Titan Comics, Escape Hunt, Big Finish and Immersive Everywhere.

James Goss, Producer, said:

"BBC Studios’ Doctor Who licensees have come together to tell an amazing epic – one that’s full of monsters, fun and heart. All strands of the story unite into a mighty patchwork that ranges from one end of the universe to the next. There's more to be revealed, but the enthusiasm and ideas which the licensees have come up with are breath-taking. It's going to be such fun."

• Options
    Fans: Vincent and the Doctor is the saddest Doctor Who episode.

Moffat: Hold my beer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=seNAqQ4gzn0

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Well that is one depressing fucking epilogue

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Nerd alert! I gave Chibnall stick for having people teleport on and off the TARDIS so often this season, but I've just been rewatching Season 1 and I wanted to acknowledge that in "The Long Game" the Doctor, Rose and Jack do indeed get removed from the TARDIS by a transmat beam. So, on the one hand, there is that precedent.

buuuuuuut on the other hand, the Doctor also says in that episode that that transmat had to be at least 15 million times more powerful than normal to get through the TARDIS shields, so... *shrug*

• Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Butler wrote: »
    Nerd alert! I gave Chibnall stick for having people teleport on and off the TARDIS so often this season, but I've just been rewatching Season 1 and I wanted to acknowledge that in "The Long Game" the Doctor, Rose and Jack do indeed get removed from the TARDIS by a transmat beam. So, on the one hand, there is that precedent.

buuuuuuut on the other hand, the Doctor also says in that episode that that transmat had to be at least 15 million times more powerful than normal to get through the TARDIS shields, so... *shrug*
    “Sweet little Lynda. It's worse than that. I'm not just a passing traveller. No stupid little transmat gets inside my ship. That beam was fifteen million times more powerful, which means this isn't just a game.”

Yep. Implied to be a huge deal. Mind you it often feels like Chibnall only watched Tennant’s seasons so it might be why he missed this sorta thing

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    They've definitely used teleportation as a crutch during Thirteen's tenure. It's a bit pathetic when the main plot device of the show is a box that can already take them anywhere at any time. Can't think of a reason why the Tardis crew would involve themselves in something? Teleport them there.

• Options
    There were some uses that felt legitimate. Like in Kerblam!, the android arrived with something the Doctor had bought, so presumably the TARDIS classed it as an invited presence. Or in Orphan 51, the teleport device was activated from inside the TARDIS, so it's plausible the shields would allow them through and back again.

Like, it's not hard sci-fi, it's Doctor Who! You can handwave almost anything! But handwaving means at least making the effort of raising your arm and giving the thing on the end a couple of flops.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Catalase wrote: »

“Sweet little Lynda. It's worse than that. I'm not just a passing traveller. No stupid little transmat gets inside my ship. That beam was fifteen million times more powerful, which means this isn't just a game.”

Yep. Implied to be a huge deal. Mind you it often feels like Chibnall only watched Tennant’s seasons so it might be why he missed this sorta thing.
    According to an interview I came across in the official DW magazine, Chibnall actually read RTD's book about his time as Exec. Prod. on the show, cover to cover more than a few times, so I think it's more the case that he just writes around this kind of thing on purpose to suit the aims of the plot(s) he wishes to write, rather than being too tightly bound by the show's established 'canon'.

• Options
    The first releases of the Time Lord Victorious meta-story have been announced: Two Tenth Doctor books, The Knight, The Fool and The Dead by Steve Cole and All Flesh Is Grass by Una McCormack.

It seems this will be an alternate universe thing where the post-Waters of Mars Doctor gets very frowny and decides to do away with death itself. And if the BBC thinks I'm forking over good money for that nonsense, they are exactly right.

• Options
    The first releases of the Time Lord Victorious meta-story have been announced: Two Tenth Doctor books, The Knight, The Fool and The Dead by Steve Cole and All Flesh Is Grass by Una McCormack.

It seems this will be an alternate universe thing where the post-Waters of Mars Doctor gets very frowny and decides to do away with death itself. And if the BBC thinks I'm forking over good money for that nonsense, they are exactly right.
    I am SO down for a post-WOM splintered frowny-doctor universe. :D That ending scene still gives me shivers every time I re-watch it. :)

• Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Catalase wrote: »

Yep. Implied to be a huge deal. Mind you it often feels like Chibnall only watched Tennant’s seasons so it might be why he missed this sorta thing.
    According to an interview I came across in the official DW magazine, Chibnall actually read RTD's book about his time as Exec. Prod. on the show, cover to cover more than a few times, so I think it's more the case that he just writes around this kind of thing on purpose to suit the aims of the plot(s) he wishes to write, rather than being too tightly bound by the show's established 'canon'.
    I mean...my point was it often seems like he only paid attention to RTD’s era specifically Ten, so this just reinforces that.

There were only multiple seasons of Matt Smith followed by Capaldi that he keeps forgetting about. Like, Gallifrey escaped the bubble so referencing it as being in a bubble isn’t right. Or, the Daleks haven’t been near extinction since Matt Smith’s first season so Thirteen lamenting how she keeps thinking she’s rid of them after almost a thousand years fighting Daleks on Trenzalore is also really naff. I mean hell, there was a Dalek in Capaldi’s regeneration episode.

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    So here's an idea I had based on the revelations of the season finale. Probably tossed out there already by someone but...
    ...with the existence of previous incarnations before the 1st Doctor, what if there was another one we knew about besides Ruth? One we saw in a season-long story called The Trial Of A Time Lord. The Valeyard. An incarnation of the Timeless Child pushed past the point of no return after all the experiments and then forced work for The Division, ultimately resulting in the events of the Trial. And so the Division forces a regeneration. One all the way to childhood of the personality that'd be the 1st's.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    There's four characters fans love to theorize about that it seems no one who works on the show care about, which are Susan, the Valeyard, Romana, and the Rani.

• Options
    Rewatching Season 2. Good God but the Doctor is an enormous shit to Mickey. So is Rose, but she at least has the excuse of being young and completely dazzled by the Doctor. The Doctor has centuries of wisdom on his side and he still acts like Mickey is a useless coward, even though Mickey shows great resourcefulness and consistently risks his own life to try to save the people around him.

I also just realised that because Mickey and Martha end up together, that means Martha has been romantically interested in two men in a row who were both trying to get over losing Rose.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    As Types go that's pretty niche

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Rewatching Season 2. Good God but the Doctor is an enormous shit to Mickey. So is Rose, but she at least has the excuse of being young and completely dazzled by the Doctor. The Doctor has centuries of wisdom on his side and he still acts like Mickey is a useless coward, even though Mickey shows great resourcefulness and consistently risks his own life to try to save the people around him.

I also just realised that because Mickey and Martha end up together, that means Martha has been romantically interested in two men in a row who were both trying to get over losing Rose.

I think Mickey is well over Rose when they meet

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    There's four characters fans love to theorize about that it seems no one who works on the show care about, which are Susan, the Valeyard, Romana, and the Rani.

well except for Big Finish. They all probably have ten hour arcs each at this point.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Also Omega.

Though Capaldi seemed to be big on Susan( which makes sense given he was a fan during the early days )

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Omega seems substantially less likely to come back after current revelations.

Which is a bummer because he has always had a great look and seems like he could have decent hook for an episode or arc

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Omega would be great to come back when Rassilon does. The latter as well as the Council were the only confirmed Gallifrayians off-planet before the Master's attack. Having Rassilon pop up to get revenge on the Doctor only for Omega to show up for revenge against him would be pretty sweet.

• Options
    I kind of wish they'd introduce a completely new Time Lord as a major presence instead of the same handful over and over.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    They could do some stuff with the Corsair. They showed up in the Doctor Who comics recently.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Not sure if bad article or exquisite troll: "10 things that make no sense about the TARDIS"

Answers below. How many did YOU shout at the screen?
    10. Perception filter.
    9. Perception filter.
    8. PERCEPTION FILTER.
    7. A lot.
    6. The same way you change your socks, but moreso.
    5. Yes.
    4. [Citation needed]
    3. It's funny
    2. People think living alien hypertech don't be that way, but it do
    1. Seems pretty secure to me!

Butler on
  • Options
  • Options
    Russell T Davies' epilogue to 'New Earth.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0H260uP9wM
    Damn it man, you can't just add on a cliffhanger 14 years after the story ended!

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    it's okay we'll get the sequel during the next pandemic in 2025

• Options
    Steven Moffat's epilogue to series 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOJ0OU6Odh4

• Options
    There's a leaked photo of the new Dalek design:

I like it! Whoever is in charge of the show's design/aesthetic choices has been consistently killing it the last two seasons.
    I do find it odd that they've gone with a design that looks a lot more cramped for the operator - then again, maybe it's automated now, so they won't have to have people inside those things any more.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I do find it odd that they've gone with a design that looks a lot more cramped for the operator - then again, maybe it's automated now, so they won't have to have people inside those things any more.
    Those things on the ground next to it look to me like RC controllers for model aircraft that I've seen before, so you're probably right. :)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    It looks like
    a factory fresh version of the Recon Dalek from Resolution. Same weird proportions as that busted boi, far as I can tell.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Can't quite tell how big it is. It looks a bit ... insubstantial and delicate. I dunno, maybe I'll change my mind after seeing it in action but I'm not mad keen on it.

• Options
    So Big Finish have apparently gotten the sign-off from the BBC to do some significant stuff with the Master's character. Spoilers for the "Missy" audio adventures:
    It seems that Missy didn't regenerate directly into the Sacha Dawan Master. Her next regeneration was female and called herself the Lumiat (played by Gina McKee), and in keeping with the events at the end of Season 10, she was good. Like, properly, genuinely good.

So of course, Missy killed her. And we'll have to find out some other time who her next regeneration was.

• Options
    I think I hate that?

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    I think I hate that?

I think it's an interesting thing to do with her character that hasn't been tried before, but I haven't listened to the audio so I've no idea if they stuck the landing or not. Either way, it's just remarkable that they were allowed to do this. It doesn't rewrite the character of the Dawan Master but it does significantly change his context.

As an aside, it's kind of weird that for all the versions of the Master there are, we've only ever seen them regenerate once, in Utopia. Three times, if you include the body thefts in Keeper of Traken and the telemovie. But then, it is fitting for the Master that even their timeline is so disjointed and shadowy.