Options

[Doctor Who] Follow, subscribe and eat the rich

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    So Big Finish have apparently gotten the sign-off from the BBC to do some significant stuff with the Master's character. Spoilers for the "Missy" audio adventures:
    It seems that Missy didn't regenerate directly into the Sacha Dawan Master. Her next regeneration was female and called herself the Lumiat (played by Gina McKee), and in keeping with the events at the end of Season 10, she was good. Like, properly, genuinely good.

So of course, Missy killed her. And we'll have to find out some other time who her next regeneration was.
    I'm guessing that however 13's Master ultimately comes into play involves how they found out about the Timeless Child. My best guess is that Rassilon was involved and possibly even flat out told him. He currently has a lot of anger at both the Doctor and Gallifrey due to his exile and he's dumb enough to try using the Master as a tool again to enact his revenge on both.

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    One of my favourite handlings of the Master and their regenerations was in the Alastair Reynolds written 3rd Doctor novel, Harvest of Time.
    He even includes a sort of explanation of why the Master is evil most of the time that’s better (IMO) than the Sound of Drums backstory.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    One of my favourite handlings of the Master and their regenerations was in the Alastair Reynolds written 3rd Doctor novel, Harvest of Time.
    He even includes a sort of explanation of why the Master is evil most of the time that’s better (IMO) than the Sound of Drums backstory.

I have that DVD book! It was really good. It was also refreshing that he created some properly alien aliens, since even the best DW writers often seem to take a "point at some random household item and imagine it trying to kill you" approach to monster design.

• Options
    Coming soon: The Hollow Planet, a free print-and-play game (for 2-6 players) about Dalek shenanigans.

• Options
    OH BLESSED DAY

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Did not see that coming hot damn

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Aw yissss. Wonder when these will be set - before he meets Rose?

Also wonder if he might get back in costume to do some new promo shots for the cover art. ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
  • Options
    New content approaches!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je1qf61HvPQ
    It's a promo for an "Immersive theatre" thing they're doing in London. Nice to see Jemma Redgrave again though!

• Options
    Old content approaches!

Paul Vanezis recently tracked down an Australian film archive listing titled "Doctor Who," on the chance that it might be a missing episode. And it wasn't, sadly, but it was a Q&A Tom Baker did with some Australian school kids that hasn't been seen since the original broadcast. You can check it out here.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    A new version/expansion of the Doctor Who VR-game Edge Of Time called Edge Of Reality's been announced. It's announcement trailer's in the box because the screencap for it gives away one of the new characters.

A second game was also announced called The Lonely Assassins. It's plot features the player finding a phone which puts them into contact with UNIT's Osgood who asks for your help in investigating a new case involving the Weeping Angels.

https://youtu.be/OyHi5uDUqIo

Owenashi on
  • Options
    "Doctor Who?" I haven't heard that name in years...

Behold, new content! Episode one of the "DALEKS!" animated series, "The Archive of Islos."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-HJqrE0fbk

• Options
    Trailer for the festive special! Days ago! I'm dreadfully behind on updates!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEVWuYVUsBs

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    What’s with the,
    Retro Tardis. I mean I’m all for Retro Tardises. Tardii?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    alas it's hard to get too excited for the return of doctor who's trump analogue

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    What’s with the,
    Isn't that the control room for Ruth's TARDIS?

• Options
    What’s with the,

Maybe they had to reboot into Safe Mode? At any rate I do like Yaz's 'Pepe Silvia' wall.

• Options
    Oh snap, dramatic cast change as of this special:

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Ok sure, a shame to loose folks but it it lets the remainder be a bit more focused on who the writers want them to be/get a more direct hand etc than I'm all for it

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    I've heard comparisons between the new Dalek design and a certain brand of PC cases, and damned if the name "alienware" hasn't ever been more appropriate.

• Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    What’s with the,

At the end of last season,
    everyone except the Doctor escaped Gallifrey in a rando Tardis.

Same interior as Ruth's - I think that's the new "default" control room, as opposed to the replica of Hartnell's from An Adventure in Space and Time.

0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjYd0OyoM1E&feature=emb_title
    The Weeping Angels and Osgood return this March in a cryptic ‘found-phone’ adventure game, The Lonely Assassins.

Following their encounter with the Tenth Doctor, the Weeping Angels were trapped in the basement of Wester Drumlins. That is, until now…

Developed by the award-winning studio Kaigan Games (Sara Is Missing, SIMULACRA), The Lonely Assassins thrusts players into a dark mystery amidst a series of sinister events occurring at Wester Drumlins, a decrepit and supposedly uninhabited house in London. Building on the iconic Doctor Who episode Blink, all is not what it seems as ex-UNIT scientist Petronella Osgood (played by Ingrid Oliver) enlists the player’s aid in tackling a familiar and lethal foe.

Filmed in London and Cardiff, the game sees players interacting with a mysteriously discarded phone in order to uncover its secrets and that of its former owner. Blurring the line between live-action footage and gameplay, players will need to piece together clues and work with Petronella Osgood to trace connections to the first horrific encounter within Wester Drumlins.

This looks really good! It's nice to be getting non-VR Doctor Who games again. It also has the guy who played Sally Sparrow's boyfriend in "Blink", but presumably Carey Mulligan herself is a bit out of their budget now.

Butler on
  • Options
    Or if CCGs are more your thing, you can also spend hundreds of dollars buying blockchain cards for a game that literally isn't even playable yet.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    f39nj7155u9h.jpg
    That's a spicy jpeg

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    That card game looks fucking awful.

Like "what if a digital trading card was also a bitcoin" is already a sentence that makes me want to throw up, but when you add that bad 1992 ass design

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neQbzMCHJ8o

Here's something that unexpectedly popped up on my Youtube recommendations. It apparently was meant to be a film that the BBC would have produced in 1993 for the 30th anniversary but it never went through. Guess someone decided to animate it instead.

• Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    That card game looks fucking awful.

Like "what if a digital trading card was also a bitcoin" is already a sentence that makes me want to throw up, but when you add that bad 1992 ass design

Don't drag the good goddamn name of the year of our lord nineteen hundred and ninety-two into that fucking mess, thankyouverymuch.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Lonely Assassins is out now and it's pretty good! Not a huge amount of gameplay per se, but really good writing for the format. Though it was a little frustrating to finish the game and be told I'd failed three "missions" I had no idea I was even on.

• Options
  • Options
    Q&A with Christopher Eccleston

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi_HO6SrwSA

• Options
    Alex Kingston reacts to River Song scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIDeOUsULhw

Apparently this is her first time seeing some of these, as she doesn't like watching her own performances back.

Also she reveals that
    the diary prop that she/River carried in her first appearance in season 4 wasn't just filled with lorem-ipsum text, but accurate details of all River's adventures to come, up to and including 'The Husbands of River Song' from the end of season 9.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Yeah. They planned out all of River's stuff. I wish they put that much effort into current Doctor Who.

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    A couple years ago I was trying to get into some Big Finish audios of the 8th Doctor. I only got halfway through the Chimes of Midnight and stopped for some reason :confused:

But now I'm back baby!! My plan is to listen up to the Zagreus audio story and then skip to Dark Eyes 1. I was impatient though and I've already started listening to Dark Eyes 1. It's a blast! It's amazing how the production in these audio stories have evolved.

I've also listened to an audio story for the War Master since it was free. The first part to Only the Good. I really enjoyed how much of a manipulative asshole the Master is. I'll probably start to get into his stories too.

There's also the War Doctor... 9th now... 10th! I'm going to spend a lot of money! :rotate:

Are there any other "must listen to" Big Finish Doctor Who audios?

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    In the first episode of Loki:
    ”Are you that criminal that travels in the blue box?”

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    In the first episode of Loki:
    ”Are you that criminal that travels in the blue box?”
    Ha! I had no idea that:
    They even have their own entry in the Marvel wiki. Nice for them to get a little wink and a nod in the MCU too. :)

...What even is canon but a wibbley-wobbley, timey-wimey, ball of STUFF? :P :snap: :lol:

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    The Doctor is semi-canon to the Marvel Universe, due to Marvel having the rights to publish Doctor Who comics for a while back in the day.

There's a continuity thread I love with the character Death's Head, who was introduced in Transformers comics, then showed up in Doctor Who comics before finding his way into the main Marvel Universe. The Doctor left him stranded on the roof of the Fantastic Four's headquarters.

mR8xtwdh.jpeg
    Deaths-Head-Doctor-584x900.jpg

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Huh. Very interesting! I had no idea. I guess because they were all published well before my birth, and (perhaps) mostly in the USA.
    The only [sort of] Marvel crossover stuff I own is a few Star Trek:TNG/X-Men Crossover novellas, of debatable (mostly fan-service of very limited appeal) quality.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Those comics were actually published by Marvel UK, and are pretty hard to find in the US!