Options

Drunk People Have More Fun than [Chat]

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Foundation is the one where the main villain enslaves the Galaxy wih the power of music, right?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Oh look I just made a substanceless post in chat
    Please tell me how awful I am

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    i do not get why you guys come down on some posters but not others

i'm out

Well

If you're leaving a thread because you're upset that someone said something mean about a book

That might be a hint about what side of that divide you're on

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Foundation is the one where the main villain enslaves the Galaxy wih the power of music, right?

I believe they used Faith of the Heart to overcome every obstacle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8OpsPok6iQ

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Well, that was bizarre and unbecoming.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i have tried reading foundations and idk it's like
    i study this super smart psychohistory field, ok maybe i'll get arrested ok the founder is sort of charismatic, ok fastforward we're on a new planet making wikipedia and the planet doesn't have a lot of precious metals or something

i am finding it pretty much the opposite of gripping

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    My main memory of foundation was the use of the term psychology throughout. When he was describing sociology.

Secondary memory: The word sardonic used twice a page.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    cambiata is actually one of the bad dates castle had

they are feuding it's v ugly i can't be present, you guys know about my social anxiety

dk prepare my chambers

Your cardboard box and bottle of wild turkey are waiting outside.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    i study this super smart psychohistory field, ok maybe i'll get arrested ok the founder is sort of charismatic, ok fastforward we're on a new planet making wikipedia and the planet doesn't have a lot of precious metals or something

Did you catch the parts where nerds use the power of knowledge to predict the future and foil their enemies?

Did that not grip you chu? Are you even a nerd chu?

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular

You are one of God's own and you are cherished.

*hugs for 15 seconds*

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    cambiata is actually one of the bad dates castle had

they are feuding it's v ugly i can't be present, you guys know about my social anxiety

dk prepare my chambers

Your cardboard box and bottle of wild turkey are waiting outside.

You forgot the hot pocket.

• Options
    Gim wrote: »

You are one of God's own and you are cherished.

*hugs for 15 seconds*

It buurrrnssss usssss

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »

Did you catch the parts where nerds use the power of knowledge to predict the future and foil their enemies?

Did that not grip you chu? Are you even a nerd chu?

That's what makes the various Silent Hunter series so much fun. Killing motherfuckers with math.

• Options
    Anyway, screw Foundation.

Go read The Slow Regard of Silent Things..

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I never read Asimov. I read real authors like John Norman.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Also: Fuck this waking earth

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I read about 20 pages of the foundation books before losing interest. I was probably way too young at the time, I'd probably appreciate them now. But HBO is doing a series based on them so...

No matter how gripping you find the series, it's certain to be more gripping with gorgeous actors having sex.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I don't think so, but it's been a really long time since I read the other ones.

But you didn't even get to the part where they control the masses with a fake religion they invented solely to control them!

• Options

The long awaited erotic novel from Gene Wolfe

• Options
    I read about 20 pages of the foundation books before losing interest. I was probably way too young at the time, I'd probably appreciate them now. But HBO is doing a series based on them so...

No matter how gripping you find the series, it's certain to be more gripping with gorgeous actors having sex.
    I'm pretty sure nobody has sex in the entire Asimov library.
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Mods, I demand a Gorean thread.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    hbo will find a way

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

The long awaited erotic novel from Gene Wolfe

You never even realize they're actually having sex until your second readthrough

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

The only thread to die faster then an anime thread.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Wow, the first named female character and female line of dialogue in Foundation is on page 194. I definitely did not notice that when I was 14.

are there really that many characters or much dialogue in foundation

I was recently introduced to the Foundation series via audiobook.

Yeah, there are at least a few male characters. Women are specifically mentioned as wives only in the first book. The first major female character in the series is very stereotypical, and is asked her fucking weight by another character, and of course does all the cooking. It's kind of depressing how sexist that series is, but I guess it can't help the era it was written in. Still I guess i'd have expected speculative fiction to speculate a little more equality? Maybe I hope for too much.

Oh god no. Old school sci-fi is ridiculously sexist.

EDIT: Like, you have to wait for the new wave for anything like cultural awareness in sci-fi. Before then it was written by old white heterosexual men from the 1900s-1950s or so, with the obvious outcome of that.

Part of the reason it's called new wave is because of a move towards diversity, cultural awareness and away from just white scientists in gimmicky stories based on hard sci-fi premises.

shryke on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

Actually, I read maybe the first two Gor books. They were pretty... Blah but not quite as filled with rampant fetish as I had expected, apparently that happens more, later. The last thing that happened was suddenly there were big insect aliens controlling the society living under a mountain.

Which is exactly my fetish, so you know

• Options

I'm pretty sure a woman has sex with a humanoid household robot in Asimov's short story "Satisfaction Guaranteed".

Why yes, I'm at home all alone on a Saturday night; why do you ask?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Also there is nothing gripping in Foundation. At all. Not character or plot wise anyway. It's a old-school sci-fi short-story collection so it's all about the idea.

It's basically (at the start anyway) just a bunch of random gimmick/trick-based short stories all centred around a rather interesting concept (ie - psycohistory).

It has another interesting idea eventually (The Mule) but then it kinda wanders off into what is, imo, some bad choices and dumbness.

And then like 30 years later Asimov decided to write prequels and some such and frankly, why are you even reading a full length Asimov novel anyway?

shryke on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I hear Saturday night is adequate for fighting

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    where there's a will, there's a set of rude titties

• Options
    I guess it's time to grab a couple hours of sleep

really don't wanna. wah.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Now I am downloading Dragon Age: Inquisition.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Who are the Dragon Age chat peeps?

@Jacobkosh‌ @spool32‌ @Belasco32‌ @Blameless Cleric@Elki‌ @skippydumptruck‌

Someone made an absurdly impressive Daenerys in DA3

VIoTDSV.jpg?1

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Foundation is fun if you like space opera and decline and fall type stories

Anyway I enjoyed it as a child but haven't read it again since I was about 18

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    This is all bullshit.

• Options
    wow that's dead on

• Options

I'm pretty sure a woman has sex with a humanoid household robot in Asimov's short story "Satisfaction Guaranteed".

I believe textually they only kiss. But now I remember (and with the aid of Google) a woman does have sex with a robot in Robots of Dawn. So there you go.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Looks like I have to start my DA character over.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    jesus, thats what the latest gen consoles are capable of?

makes the dude I just made in DA2 look like ass

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Who are the Dragon Age chat peeps?

Jacobkosh‌ spool32‌ Belasco32‌ "Blameless Cleric"‌ Elki‌ skippydumptruck‌

Someone made an absurdly impressive Daenerys in DA3

VIoTDSV.jpg?1

Ummm Daenerys has violet eyes in the books and Emilia Clarke has like, blue/grey eyes IRL. Faker gamer girls ruin everything.

• Options

I believe textually they only kiss. But now I remember (and with the aid of Google) a woman does have sex with a robot in Robots of Dawn. So there you go.
    Bogert frowned. "I don't need any. It's obvious on the face of it that we can't have a robot loose which makes love to his mistress, if you don't mind the pun."

"Love! Peter, you sicken me. You really don't understand? That machine had to obey the First Law. He couldn't allow harm to come to a human being, and harm was coming to Claire Belmont through her own sense of inadequacy. So he made love to her, since what woman would fail to appreciate the compliment of being able to stir passion in a machine-in a cold, soulless machine. And he opened the curtains that night deliberately, that the others might see and envy-without any risk possible to Claire's marriage. I think it was clever of Tony-"

This discussion has been closed.