As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Valkyria Chronicles] You Got Your RPG in my World War 2 - VC4 on PC Sept 25!

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    I don't see the VC4 demo on PSN. I can pre-order it just fine, but no demo. What gives?

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I downloaded it to my PS4 from work using the PSN web interface. Try logging in through a PC browser and not on the PS4 storefront?

26904.png
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    I don't see the VC4 demo on PSN. I can pre-order it just fine, but no demo. What gives?

Not sure. It appears fine in the webstore for me in Canada. I haven't tried downloading it, as I already have it pre-ordered. But, it is there.

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    It’s also on the Switch eShop, if that’s your thing.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    It showed up for me.

Also, minor character soldier spoilers:
    Am I read in Rosetta’s bio right? Did they add a trans character for this game? If so, they are never leaving my squad.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    It showed up for me.

Am I read in Rosetta’s bio right? Did they add a trans character for this game? If so, they are never leaving my squad.

I've not played the demo yet, but
    Considering how very popular characters like that are in anime in general it really wouldn't surprise me in the least.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

Did you scroll down a few tabs on the page? The playstation store UI is basically a war crime at this point, so everything is on one page.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    How long is the demo? It's already lasted longer than I expected and I haven't quite finished it yet.

Can we grind skirmishes in it?

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Played through the Prologue and Chapter 1 (indeed, how long is this demo?) and I love it. This feels exactly like the first game in all the best ways possible.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    It’s through chapter 2.

One thing i has forgotten about was how much about a character is portrayed by their “potentials”, or unique combat skills. Like an older woman who has th potential “done with men”, or the dude with “red shirt maneuvers”, or “family photo”.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Something I also noticed coming right off Remastered is Potentials seem to activate a lot more. This goes for negatives and positives.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    It showed up for me.

I suddenly feel the need to see if I can't download the demo.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I'm really glad to hear the positive reactions to VC4. It'll probably be a while before I get to play that one.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Man, that's a pretty early squad 7.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    It showed up for me.

To shed some light on things,
    In anything anime or anime-adjacent the inclusion of a trans character almost certainly has nothing to do with inclusiveness and diversity and very likely everything to do with checking off a fetish box.

Now whether or not the reason why matters is largely up to the individual I'd say. I know a few people who are completely and totally against any instance of fetishizing of their community and a few others that don't care cause representation is still representation yo.

Just don't praise the devs for their apparent progressiveness I suppose. Or do, I dunno, it's a complicated subject.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Man, it feels like just yesterday that the series was basically cold in the ground, and now there's a for-real sequel coming out in like six weeks. I'm not sure I'll believe it until it's on my hard drive being played.

The head says don't preorder because you never know, the heart says it's in your cart already just click buy you asshole you know you want to.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Stolls wrote: »
    Man, it feels like just yesterday that the series was basically cold in the ground, and now there's a for-real sequel coming out in like six weeks. I'm not sure I'll believe it until it's on my hard drive being played.

The head says don't preorder because you never know, the heart says it's in your cart already just click buy you asshole you know you want to.

Have you tried the demo? I feel like that is a good idea to see how you will feel about it. It is the Prologue through Chapter 2, so three battles, and two skirmishes.
    Axen wrote: »
    It showed up for me.

In anything anime or anime-adjacent the inclusion of a trans character almost certainly has nothing to do with inclusiveness and diversity and very likely everything to do with checking off a fetish box.

Now whether or not the reason why matters is largely up to the individual I'd say. I know a few people who are completely and totally against any instance of fetishizing of their community and a few others that don't care cause representation is still representation yo.

Just don't praise the devs for their apparent progressiveness I suppose. Or do, I dunno, it's a complicated subject.
    I feel like I'm reserving final judgement until the game is fully out. It could end up being done very well, or at least better than I would expect. It could also end up like Jann from VC1, who has a cool conclusion to his story, but is also wrapped up in extremely stereotypical effeminate gay man stereotypes. Or it could end up being terrible. My initial impression of Rosetta, having not been able to unlock any more detailed background for them in the demo, is that they are being played as straight-forward as any other character is. Who knows how that ends up though.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Any word on when the port of 1 hits the Switch? Been thinking about firing up the PS4 version but portability is appealing enough that I may wait if that’s not too far off.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Any word on when the port of 1 hits the Switch? Been thinking about firing up the PS4 version but portability is appealing enough that I may wait if that’s not too far off.

Nothing officially announced but this was posted by the Director at Atlus USA managing SEGA's JP lineup

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Just finished the demo. Oh my God I want this to be out right now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    The demo is only PS4/Xbox right? Any chance PC will get one?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    The demo is only PS4/Xbox right? Any chance PC will get one?

Also Switch but nope no PC demo it seems

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/08/07/valkyria-chronicles-4-pc-demo/amp/

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Another thing with the demo. Nice that there are some non-capture missions this time around.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Few questions for those playing the demo on Switch, because I'm stuck at work:
    1. From the first two chapters, does it seem like a VC newbie like me will be okay (rather than lost)? Is the story pretty self-contained so far?
    2. How's it run? Would most like to play this on Switch, but would go PS4 if the performance were an issue.
    3. Other than VC4, how's your day going?

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Few questions for those playing the demo on Switch, because I'm stuck at work:
    1. From the first two chapters, does it seem like a VC newbie like me will be okay (rather than lost)? Is the story pretty self-contained so far?
    2. How's it run? Would most like to play this on Switch, but would go PS4 if the performance were an issue.
    3. Other than VC4, how's your day going?

1. The game has an easy mode and a pretty good tutorial so even newbies should be fine. The story is completely standalone.

2. I haven’t seen any big issues, even playing handheld. I think the biggest difference with Switch is just resolution. All console versions are 30 FPS and it seems pretty stable

3. Good so far!

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I think the only bit you maybe kind of need to know, but the demo's story doesn't tell you is that Darcsen are people with blue hair.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I'm really liking what this new squad class has to offer. Their intercept fire is really cool.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Only played to the end of the first chapter but I got my head around things pretty quickly and it does a good job introducing new elements. Any difficulty spike seems like it would be more strategic than mechanical in nature. Story makes sense so far, I'm sure there is a bunch of history I'm unaware of but the core concept seems to be Totaly Not Nazis vs Totaly Not Allies.

No performance issues on Switch. The mouth flaps can be a bit awkward but I doubt that's handled any differently in the other versions.

• Options
    The funny part of "totally not" is that it's still called "Europa" in countries where Europe is called "Europa".

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    It's WW2 but anime (so the Jews have blue hair, and the nukes are women).

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    It's WW2 but anime (so the Jews have blue hair, and the nukes are women).

Probably the best one line summation of this series.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    How do I actually access my equipment? There doesn't seem to be a squad status screen or anything

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    How do I actually access my equipment? There doesn't seem to be a squad status screen or anything

It unlocks eventually. End of chapter 1 maybe?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Literally right after I posted, I got to HQ.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    There's also a way to do it during the setup phase. I thought they might have changed things and that's how you do it now, but then I unlocked the HQ. Still, nice to know you can tweak the squad and equipment there as well rather than have to go all the way back to the HQ page.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Stolls wrote: »

Have you tried the demo? I feel like that is a good idea to see how you will feel about it. It is the Prologue through Chapter 2, so three battles, and two skirmishes.
    Axen wrote: »
    It showed up for me.

I feel like I'm reserving final judgement until the game is fully out. It could end up being done very well, or at least better than I would expect. It could also end up like Jann from VC1, who has a cool conclusion to his story, but is also wrapped up in extremely stereotypical effeminate gay man stereotypes. Or it could end up being terrible. My initial impression of Rosetta, having not been able to unlock any more detailed background for them in the demo, is that they are being played as straight-forward as any other character is. Who knows how that ends up though.
    What I've seen so far, which isn't a lot, she's just kind of there being another character. Japanese character-summary notes the birthname "Rosetto".

• Options
    Well...outside of the leader units most of the reserves have always kind of just been there.

Most of their personality comes from their sound bites and potentials.

• Options
    TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    Finished the demo and bonus map last night. It seems to be mostly more of the same, but that is perfect for me as VC1 is one of my all-time faves. Grenadiers do add a new dimension as you need to choose between huddling your team together for opportunity shots and spreading them out to avoid the AOE.

Can't wait!

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I have played every single Valkyria Chronicles game. No, I didn't touch Azure Revolution.

Playing the demo for 4 (on Switch) really drives home something that I'd never even felt until now - this is The Sequel To Valkyria Chronicles we never got. Like many, I was an energetic champion of Valkyria Chronicles when it launched in '08 - when games like the original Dead Space and Mirror's Edge were lighting up the charts with how unique they were, and the original BioShock finally landed on PS4 - VC was something new and wonderful and unique in a totally different direction. Particularly as someone who dislikes JRPGs as a general rule (with several exceptions).

I still remember playing the BioShock demo once, then trying this Valkyria Chronicles thing and playing that demo over and over and over and over and why do I love this so much do people know about this!?

I enjoyed VC2: Like Harry Potter But With Soldiers, and the dizzying array of additional systems 3 offered were very cool! (Too bad about the whole no-English thing) - but 2 and 3 were also fucking PSP games. Tiny, tiny little maps, way more behind-the-scenes numbers to crunch and presentation that said "remember the beautiful drawing-come-to-life you loved so much on the PS3? Well, forget about that."

I don't immediately-love this cast like I did the original, but holy shit when that PLAYER PHASE splash shows up it feels like getting clapped on the back by an old friend. THIS, finally, feels like playing the genuine sequel to the classic. Put another way,
    gwrwm0k1u79x.jpg

oh fuck yes.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Chance wrote: »
    I have played every single Valkyria Chronicles game. No, I didn't touch Azure Revolution.

Playing the demo for 4 (on Switch) really drives home something that I'd never even felt until now - this is The Sequel To Valkyria Chronicles we never got. Like many, I was an energetic champion of Valkyria Chronicles when it launched in '08 - when games like the original Dead Space and Mirror's Edge were lighting up the charts with how unique they were, and the original BioShock finally landed on PS4 - VC was something new and wonderful and unique in a totally different direction. Particularly as someone who dislikes JRPGs as a general rule (with several exceptions).

I still remember playing the BioShock demo once, then trying this Valkyria Chronicles thing and playing that demo over and over and over and over and why do I love this so much do people know about this!?

I enjoyed VC2: Like Harry Potter But With Soldiers, and the dizzying array of additional systems 3 offered were very cool! (Too bad about the whole no-English thing) - but 2 and 3 were also fucking PSP games. Tiny, tiny little maps, way more behind-the-scenes numbers to crunch and presentation that said "remember the beautiful drawing-come-to-life you loved so much on the PS3? Well, forget about that."

I don't immediately-love this cast like I did the original, but holy shit when that PLAYER PHASE splash shows up it feels like getting clapped on the back by an old friend. THIS, finally, feels like playing the genuine sequel to the classic. Put another way,
    gwrwm0k1u79x.jpg

oh fuck yes.

I didn't see that before, but she.......may be in the wrong line of work.

steam_sig.png