As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Secret Wars (formerly Avengers - the Multiverse Saga)

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Reading

Fuuuuuuu

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Prepare to be assimilated.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Well FUCK.
    Congratulation's Black Panther, you are now the backstabbing traitorous asshole that 'killed' the only person who was willing to do what it took to save the Earth while you previously doomed the universe to death.

You had your revenge. Congrats. And I hate you.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I for one
    wont really miss him. Namor always has been a massive douche. His character may as well be modeled against Thor except with a massive amount of selfishness, pettiness, uncontrolled arrogance and ego. Yes, kings sometimes need to be dicks, but namor always was 'that guy' who seemed to revel in it, thinking it was the only way to be, never considering non-douche methods. Jumping to the easiest and generally worse conclusion. Unlike Thor, hes never once actually learned from his mistakes. Instead just justifying them somehow.

Black Panther may not be all that much better in some ways, but you can only work with the guy who caused you to 1) lose your throne 2) watch the deaths of thousands of your people 3) destroyed and seized your ancestral homeland. He tried to work with the illuminate and with namor because it was more important then his revenge at the time...but that kind of justification only works for so long.
    I'm just catching up with this thread, ive been reading avengers but I really appriciate the summary. One thing i had not seen before was the battleworld picture. I wonder why asgard is not represented somehow on that map. maybe its one of the hidden ones.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    T'Challa is both awesome and stupid in the same issue.
    You want to kill Namor, kill Namor, totes Justified, but we all know you gave Thanos and Co. too much time to escape just so Namor would know what just happened.

And for anyone who couldn't read it, Blackbolt says in his whisper "When you see my brother Maximus, tell him.....FAREWELL!"

Surprised Cap didn't just call Sue a nazi and get it over with. I've joked and hyperbolized about how bad he's been since AvX, but he's really getting into crazy dictator pious mode now that the whole superhero community needs to intervention him.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    T'Challa is both awesome and stupid in the same issue.
    You want to kill Namor, kill Namor, totes Justified, but we all know you gave Thanos and Co. too much time to escape just so Namor would know what just happened.

And for anyone who couldn't read it, Blackbolt says in his whisper "When you see my brother Maximus, tell him.....FAREWELL!"

Surprised Cap didn't just call Sue a nazi and get it over with. I've joked and hyperbolized about how bad he's been since AvX, but he's really getting into crazy dictator pious mode now that the whole superhero community needs to intervention him.

I don't mind this at all if we see others actually calling him out on it.

• Options
    And you can skip Avengers #34.2, it's not even really a Starbrand issue let alone something trying to connect a subplot to Hickman's stuff, just that kind of "how does one with the power of a god relate to things?" type stand alone. The art is decent enough but would be better suited for Ms. Marvel or Young Avengers (were it still around) as everyone looks years younger than they should.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Namor will always win because he will always be able to turn around and say "everything you love, your friends, your family, your people, your hopes and dreams and fulfilled revenge, only exists because I was willing to kill a planet for them when you weren't. I saved them. All of them. And you'll always have been too weak to have done what I did, and you will always know that fact."

I love T'Challa and all but

Namor won their little pissing match way back

Solar on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    It's probably too much to hope for...
    ...that the Cabal went down with that world.

For one thing, Black Swan noticed something was up with Namor. She may have an 'out.'

For another, it was the Map Makers - Doom was already planning to attack them and he has the Molecule Man on his side, it's always possible they swooped in last second and wound up spiriting them away.

Those are just two ways out off the top of my head.

Also, comics and so forth.

This probably means we'll be seeing Iron Man coming back into the game.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Silly question. can anyone think of why this wouldnt work as a solution to the incursions...

Move the earth. Given the people we are talking about, I'm pretty sure Reed and tony could find a solar system that could support earth, and transport it somewhere else. Earth no longer there, other earths arent in sync with it anymore, so they will never collide. Chain of universe booms stops.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Silly question. can anyone think of why this wouldnt work as a solution to the incursions...

Move the earth. Given the people we are talking about, I'm pretty sure Reed and tony could find a solar system that could support earth, and transport it somewhere else. Earth no longer there, other earths arent in sync with it anymore, so they will never collide. Chain of universe booms stops.

well I think it's tied to the planet directly (though that can be solved just by moving the people on the planet, which is something Beast has done with mutants in other universes).

But essentially, then we wouldn't have this story ;).

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

There's no reason to assume it's the location of the Earths that is drawing them together. It could be something ON the earth, it could be the Earth itself (as in the matter that comprises it), or there could be an entity directing the whole thing.

• Options
    ....that might actually be what happens with Battleworld.

There's always Franklin to show up, and Hickman's shown what both young and old him can do. If we're doing Secret Wars again, and just had an Onslaught in Axis, the theme of Heroes Reborn leading into Secret Wars makes sense, and then the inevitable Heroes Return NOW! relaunch.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    ....that might actually be what happens with Battleworld.

There's always Franklin to show up, and Hickman's shown what both young and old him can do. If we're doing Secret Wars again, and just had an Onslaught in Axis, the theme of Heroes Reborn leading into Secret Wars makes sense, and then the inevitable Heroes Return NOW! relaunch.

Robinson's Fantastic Four has been using Franklin and the original Heroes Reborn world, so that concept is kind of reheated and on the table now as well.

In Robinson's FF:
    The original HR world is actually janked up for some reason I can't remember which they just explained a month or two ago, and all the heroes are kind of evil now, and the world has been taken over by weird monster things.

But yeah, let's not forget the setup in the .NOW issue, either. I imagine that will come into play during Secret Wars, along with the Dyson sphere finally getting its day.

• Options
    I think whats going to happen is that 616 earth is going to get 'destroyed' and we are going to find out that the earths that were destroyed were actually ripped apart in pieces to form the new battleworld. Also im going to throw out there that Rabum Alal was actually a version of the beyonder. (This is all conjecture).

• Options
    I do think when the earths die they're still alive on battleworld, which would help negate heroes having turned murderers, even if it was just one guy ultimately doing it.

And that might make the fighting even worse. "Hey, did you guys die because of Earth 616? Yeah? Let's kick their asses first!"

• Options
    Something else that occurs to me.

The death of the watcher seems to play into this. He would have been the expected person to try and recruit (or at the very least use his equipment to see into the 'what if' worlds while he just watched you invade his house and mess with his stuff). by the illuminati.

While they already have figured out a way to see other worlds, you would think the ability to communicate with them, for instance the guys that Strange turned demon to stop, and find out how they had held off the incursions without destroying worlds, then combine the infinite ways they and others like them had been successful into a long list of solutions to prevent it would have occured to them by now.

Instead they all seem to be 'welp...lets just jump to the solution of blowing up an earth. I've always wanted to destroy the earth, but the problem has been ive been on and its where all my stuff is....so lets do this with that earth over there!'

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Well FUCK.
    Congratulation's Black Panther, you are now the backstabbing traitorous asshole that 'killed' the only person who was willing to do what it took to save the Earth while you previously doomed the universe to death.

You had your revenge. Congrats. And I hate you.
    Well, I don't agree with anything the Illuminati has done. I'm also quite sure that their intended actions and Namor's real actions were wrong - as they are whenever these "I'm smarter than everyone, so I'll be secretive and make decisions for them" stories happen - so... rock out T'Challa.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    oooh, if we think that they're revisitng heroes reborn, could that lead to Rikki coming back?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I think whats going to happen is that 616 earth is going to get 'destroyed' and we are going to find out that the earths that were destroyed were actually ripped apart in pieces to form the new battleworld. Also im going to throw out there that Rabum Alal was actually a version of the beyonder. (This is all conjecture).

People keep throwing around the idea that Rabum Alal is the Beyonder. I think it would be more interesting if the Ivory Kings were the Beyonder, as in, all Beyonders, and Rabum Alal to be a brand new character.

Zyrxil on
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    the latest April solicits have some major Cabal spoilers:
    AVENGERS WORLD #19 & 20
    FRANK BARBIERE (w) • MARCO CHECCHETTO (a)
    COVERS BY W. SCOTT FORBES & SANFORD GREENE
    • The fall of The Avengers!
    • Namor’s fury unleashed!
    • The Cabal rises…no world is safe!
    32 PGS. (EACH)/Rated T+ …$3.99 (EACH)
    + AVENWORLD2014019.jpg

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    AVENGERS WORLD #19 & 20
    + AVENWORLD2014019.jpg

Avengers World is taking place during the time skip before Time Runs out Started

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    AVENGERS WORLD #19 & 20
    + AVENWORLD2014019.jpg

Avengers World is taking place during the time skip before Time Runs out Started

*smacks head* Damn you hickman and your cleverness!

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    shit do i have to start reading avengers world now?

• Options
    No, don't. The writing is terrible. Filling in the Time Skip is something better left for your imagination.

• Options
    That's a shame - at least the Cabal will actually get to do something.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Counterpoint: do, because Avengers World is enjoyable

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Avengers World is OK, but under Nick Spencer it was really decompressed and it never ever felt worth the $4 it cost.

I'm going to hold out though, because I was glad that I stayed on for the Axis issues, and because I think it's only going to run until Secret Wars starts. Also I'm hoping the new writer will tell a denser story rather than the crazy widescreen comics Michael Bay blockbuster stuff Spencer was doing.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Avengers World is a totally solid book

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    That's good - the Cabal will actually get to do something!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    new avengers #29
    that cover sure was a mislead. then again im guessing molecule man and doom will find the beyonder himself in the next issue. the ivory kings being the beyonders race confused me for a moment because i thought the other guys doc strange is hanging out with were the ivory kings, i forgot they are the black priests.

also is this the first time we've seen what the beyonders look like? i had to google.

this issue just felt like it was just dragging stuff out because we have to do the 4 months left thing.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    the ivory kings being the beyonders race confused me for a moment because i thought the other guys doc strange is hanging out with were the ivory kings, i forgot they are the black priests.
    W4GaXlU.jpg

Also I'm glad they finally showed the Illuminati actually trying some of the more obvious solutions and failing. Does Nu-Earth still exist?

Zyrxil on
  • Options
    Blast! My Builder Code message was wrong!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    who was
    the kid in the flashbacks for Reed? Franklin? or was it Star Brand? is that avengers world stuff?

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I have really hard time reconciling how all the different avengers ongoings are happening at the same time

I feel like I need a really convoluted flowchart / timeline

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I have really hard time reconciling how all the different avengers ongoings are happening at the same time

I feel like I need a really convoluted flowchart / timeline

Avengers/New Avengers is currently taking place around 8 months after Axis, give or take.

Avengers World took place immediately after Infinity (Issues 1-14), then during Axis (15-16) and is now filling in the 8 month jump that happened in Avengers/New Avengers.

Mighty Avengers is, currently, taking place during Axis while Sam is inverted.

EDIT: Uncanny Avengers is taking place in the aftermath of Axis.

Secret Avengers takes place whenever, given it's spy stuff that doesn't really affect the main Avengers plotline.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    So yeah, after seeing what Reed & Co have tried to do in NA #29, in humane terms to deal with the incursion, Cap needs to step the hell back (and apparently they're selling Hawkguy at the jerkstore now, too!). Another good issue that makes Battleworld come into picture.

Only thing I didn't like was how Walker draws Carol's hair. I don't need super saiyans in my Avengers.
    it makes sense for Hickman to take Franklin off the table because he's a walking deus ex, but with Secret Wars and whatever happens, whatever future Franklin has been in from FF to the Original Sin arc might be written out.

• Options
    Sadly, it really looks like we're heading towards
    "Okay, we're down to the last universe; if we blow this one up, it's and at least one universe gets to continue to exist."
    Steve: "Over my dead body! Sure it makes all those worlds Namor and the Cabal wiped out pointless in the end, even though I hold those lives so important I'm willing to let two universes die to prevent anyone from killing them ~8 hours early, we can't doom this last world, so instead we'll doom everything left in existence!"
    "Dammit Steve."

• Options
    Wait a God Damn minute..
    We're told that when an Earth is blown up, that Universe is safe from being destroyed, but if that's the case, how do those universes go away in time for Secret Wars where there is only one universe left?

• Options
    That's a big misprint, hopefully, just do a search and replace for the trades. If it's not, that needs to be addressed in the coming issues because that changes things and the two words aren't interchangeable.