As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games that should of been amazing but failed instead.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    also I've always been disappointed that Perfect Dark never really got a worthy next-gen followup. Seems like a no brainer to me.

I am surprised Microsoft hasn't just started alternating years with Halo, Gears of War, and Perfect Dark so they have a first party shooter every year and each game would get a decent amount of dev time by not actually being a rushed annual release.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Still a good game, just not what I wanted out of it. Same with Halo, the 2000video of a rad third person shooter made it look like an open world with native animals and stuff. Why does bungie like teasing games as third person and then cranking out space FPS #7715389? Maybe I'm just jaded.

To be fair, Halo was a great FPS for the time.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    I'd like to add Alpha Protocol to this list, if it hasn't already. Yet another case of Sega messing up a great premise.

Now this game is still a guilty pleasure of mine, but you really can only play it one way. It's clear Obsidian wanted you to be a spy first then branch out later, then Sega brought the hammer down and demanded classes because 'we don't want a Fallout game'. Dev time dwindled, QA never happened, and a game halfway converted to what Sega wanted was sent out to die.

Part of me really wants to see Obsidian's original vision one day. The parts that weren't messed with were great. The plot, dialogue and characters are what bring me back every now and then.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    I'd like to add Alpha Protocol to this list, if it hasn't already. Yet another case of Sega messing up a great premise.

Now this game is still a guilty pleasure of mine, but you really can only play it one way. It's clear Obsidian wanted you to be a spy first then branch out later, then Sega brought the hammer down and demanded classes because 'we don't want a Fallout game'. Dev time dwindled, QA never happened, and a game halfway converted to what Sega wanted was sent out to die.

Part of me really wants to see Obsidian's original vision one day. The parts that weren't messed with were great. The plot, dialogue and characters are what bring me back every now and then.

Alpha Protocol is the only game that I've beaten three times in a row in a week. Hrm, multiple AP playthroughs, multiple Advent Rising playthroughs...I think I have a problem but I'm not sure I want to fix it.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Command and conquer 4.

I have been a huge fan of the series, and red alert up to that point. C&C4 was just utter crap. it looked like shit, it played like shit. 3 was vastly superior. I couldnt even finish 4.

Can you elaborate? I've played every c&c game except 4

The graphics were very blocky, poorly textured, movement and response to actions were slow and draggy, very few units on the opposite sides were actually different from each other, it was buggy in several ways and dispite it was suppose to put an end to the storyline of C&C i got halfway through it and just couldnt make myself care about how it ended if only i could stop playing the game. So i gave up on it.

Eh, you didn't miss a whole lot. You either play loyalist Nod to Kane, who's allied with GDI (he has translated the Tacitius and can control Tiberium growth, but needs GDI's resources to do so) and defending his Tiberium Control Network, or renegade GDI fighting to kill Kane.

Either way, Kane and his chosen followers depart for Kane's home world at the end.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »
    Still a good game, just not what I wanted out of it. Same with Halo, the 2000video of a rad third person shooter made it look like an open world with native animals and stuff. Why does bungie like teasing games as third person and then cranking out space FPS #7715389? Maybe I'm just jaded.

To be fair, Halo was a great FPS for the time.

I don't wanna go down the rabbit hole too far when it comes to good and great, but sure. Just sayin it "failed" for me cause of the stuff that was released early for it.

PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Because Microsoft purchased Bungie in mid-2000 and they rewrote the game (again) from a Mac+Win 3rd person action game to an Xbox FPS so they could have a flagship title for their new console.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular

Because Microsoft purchased Bungie in mid-2000 and they rewrote the game (again) from a Mac+Win 3rd person action game to an Xbox FPS so they could have a flagship title for their new console.

I do recall that - more of an underhanded comment about how they made a habit of it. It's okay, there's always mass effect I guess.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I second Advent Rising because OSC's writing skills propped up a decent game arc with interesting enemies, nice speeches, good set pieces, and relatively few plot holes. Even the final battle made sense in terms of keeping the status quo.

But yeah, buggy as all get out, not sure how I jumped up and broke that creature's neck but I'm dual wielding alien sniper rifles in a slow motion bullettime dive, so fuck it.

I'd also like to mention Carrier Command: Gaea Mission. This game brings together a classic with Bohemia Interactive's open world chops. There's a BS FPS section at the beginning that gets awesome when you're free to explore the open world. The final mission arc is also massively bullshit. But the world looks so fucking beautiful that to quote @Drake, it feels like a place you are visiting, like Rapture or Halo or Vvanderfall or Skyrim. There's a presence and reality to this area. When you start planning your ops and take the enemy island apart piece by piece, it feels great. When you finally meet the enemy carrier in the Single player campaign, it feels like a real meaty threat that will send you back over old saves to try and get an edge in so you can catch that son of a bitch's 180 on your 000.

But its hampered by poor mission design at the beginning and end, stability issues that were resolved when I upgraded my pc, goofy mechanics, and horrid voice acting.

All in all, it feels like the first Gundam show from the 80s, small scale, holding on by the skin of your teeth.

So close, but so fucking far.

The Bureau was so fucking nice in that setting but so fucking wasted with the X-Com franchise. I really didn't need the mutons or sectoids to be mutons and sectoids, the silacoids were pointless distractions, it was just....UGH.

• Options
    There's a bit of a difference between changing direction from some early in-house prototype, if it even got that far, and changing things after it's been shown to the public at Macworld and E3.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    There's a bit of a difference between changing direction from some early in-house prototype, if it even got that far, and changing things after it's been shown to the public at Macworld and E3.

I don't see how this has anything to do with anything, is there a game that changed direction from an early prototype without being marketed first? Cause destiny does not fit that scenario.

Their E3 video for reference.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dgt-RwBx9Y

I never meant to start an argument but why do you feel the need to disprove my opinion? Edit: just cause I don't wanna be too aggressive, as i originally said none of this makes them bad games. Just that I was disappointed with some changes.

Jean Claude Van Calm on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    We could also, you know, talk about failed games instead of games that spawned multiple franchise titles like Halo or Bioshock. :D "Failed for me" doesn't really count, since that just turns the thread into "Here's a game that I really didn't like, even though it's a game that sold millions and enjoyed all over the world."

WORK HARDER, YOU GUYS! Plenty of actual failed games out there to talk about, like The Game That Shall Not Be Named that has 3000AD in the Title.

EDIT: I mean, I don't like Halo. Neither did Gabe or Tycho when it first came out. But I'm not going to pretend that it is a failed game, by any means.

EDIT 2: I forgot, mentioning that title is like Bloody Mary or Candyman. If I was standing in front of a mirror... *shudder*

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    You should probably edit out that title before we are visited, just saying Hansoo...

• Options
    edited November 2014
    This thread would have only 5 posts with those silly rules!

Fine, ummmm... All points bulletin sucked... Cause it failed financially, even though it was kinda fun before GTAO was a thing and I did play for several hours.... I can't do this D:!

Jean Claude Van Calm on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I suppose the definition of "failed" varies from person to person.

I mean, I remember Bioshock Infinite was supposed to be about this great, wonderful story in this great wonderful universe that tackled nationalism like the first tackled Objectivism.

And then it... didn't. At all. It was window dressing for corridor shooting and also there was Quantum. So in that sense, it failed to live up to its amazing promises. Massive sales don't really change that.

• Options
    You should probably edit out that title before we are visited, just saying Hansoo...
    Done. Stupid Bloody Mary superstition thingy...

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

I mean, I remember Bioshock Infinite was supposed to be about this great, wonderful story in this great wonderful universe that tackled nationalism like the first tackled Objectivism.

And then it... didn't. At all. It was window dressing for corridor shooting and also there was Quantum. So in that sense, it failed to live up to its amazing promises. Massive sales don't really change that.
    I enjoyed Bioshock Infinite for what it was, especially on a 2nd playthrough (when you can see all the little details that lead up to the ending and how the loop fits into the whole story). It was the last game that Irrational did before it closed, so maybe it was a "failure" in that sense... the title that was the swan song for a once-great developer.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Hehe, there we go. Reminds me of Fable. There was years and years of hype (helped along with xbox hype) that suggested the game would just be a consistent aging fantasy world in a box with no real limitations thanks to SUPER NEW HARDWARE. Scars generated by real combat that stuck with you as your character actually aged along with the world in real time dependent on your actions. Planted trees growing, real impact on every aspect of the world, relationships and environment. All I got out of it was a forgettable experience with no delivered promises. It apparently had sequels but I was so burned I skipped out on them. Was fable a failure? Depends who ya ask.

Jean Claude Van Calm on
  • Options
    I never meant to start an argument but why do you feel the need to disprove my opinion? Edit: just cause I don't wanna be too aggressive, as i originally said none of this makes them bad games. Just that I was disappointed with some changes.

I'm sorry you were mislead by third party speculation (which is all those articles are) about the nature of Destiny. I don't believe Bungie ever publicly claimed Destiny was going to be a TPS. As far as I know, their only game that publicly went 3rd person to 1st was the original Halo, and I just don't feel 1 game out of 15 makes a "habit".

• Options

I'm sorry you were mislead by third party speculation (which is all those articles are) about the nature of Destiny. I don't believe Bungie ever publicly claimed Destiny was going to be a TPS. As far as I know, their only game that publicly went 3rd person to 1st was the original Halo, and I just don't feel 1 game out of 15 makes a "habit".

I'm sorry hindsight is such a nice thing to have. The combination of Bungie stating it was originally TPS and supposedly stating as such for early third party hype train suggests you are wrong. Did you even watch the E3 trailer? Two new IPs in a row that happen to span the last 14 years of what they've put out. Seriously, camera stuff is the least of those games issues and not worth a more major derail but it's hard to walk away when you are factually incorrect.

• Options
    But speaking of 2000, Daikatana should have been great from all the hype it got but was complete garbage.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Rise of the robots.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    zipidideezipididee Registered User regular
    Final Fantasy X
    I was a huge final fantasty fan growing up. Loved the hell out of 6 through 9. Well 8 got a little weird but whatever.
    10 was confusing and strange. It looked good, played well, but made no damn sense. You're the dream of a dead city but your father is a sea monster? And then you beat the game and die but maybe not really? I know playing a final fantasy game means I should expect some kind of crazy story, but 10 was too much for me. I wanted it to be amazing and instead all I got was disappointment and confusion.

*ching ching* Just my two cents
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    But speaking of 2000, Daikatana should have been great from all the hype it got but was complete garbage.

Ugh, I remember those ads. "Romero is gonna make you his bitch" :I

So how about an opposite. A game that objectively blew hard but that I found amazing? Red Steel. It's overly long, poorly voiced, poorly written, graphically underwhelming and super repetitive and I loved every second of it. It was like an arcade game in my living room! Woooow. But then some actually decent Wii games came out, and Red Steel's gimmicky controls no longer sustained it since I got to see what the system could actually do. On reflection, what I loved about Red Steel was the new experience motion controls gave me. Any game would've done it, but Red Steel got lucky in that it was my first. I hear the sequel was actually great, and I am looking into acquiring it :D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    GASP. @Casually Hardcore‌ I loved Hellgate London! I actually really miss that game...

That's the thing. There's a good game in there; and I think some other company brought up the assets and did something decent with it. There's even a sequel called Hellgate Tokyo that I might check out whenever it's released. But you have to understand that Hellgate London was suppose to be the 'Diablo 3' of its time. The hype train was supersonic at its peak and then it ultimately just tripped over its own dick. A huge shame.
    Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.

Don't get me fucking started on this one. I was 100% on board with this game during its concept. You know what killed it for me? Look at this Ork:

30.jpg

Why in the world is an Ork wearing a goddamn cape? I mean, why in the fuck.....just....god damn it. Granted, this is just fanboy nitpicking but the moment I saw an Ork wearing a fucking cape was the moment when I started to realize that Warhammer Online was not the MMO we all wanted and deserved.

Because the Wow engine they stole had capes.

More seriously, because the capes where what you'd use to display your guild's heraldry on. It'd have been nice if they made some kind of talbard for the Orcs to feel a bit more authentic and unique for them, but of all the things the game should have had at launch, that's pretty low on my list.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I don't think daikatana qualifies because by the time it came out, nobody thought it would be good

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Going by Masters of Doom, Daikatana never impressed at its E3 showings. Everyone was ooh'ing and aw'ing over Quake 2's weaponfire illuminating corridors or Unreal's outdoor levels so Daikatana was always seen as second-rate. For all its mediocre showings, I don't know where the hype for the game came from except for John Romero's name.

214651069_MkdpT-L-2.jpg

• Options
    zipididee wrote: »
    Final Fantasy X
    I was a huge final fantasty fan growing up. Loved the hell out of 6 through 9. Well 8 got a little weird but whatever.
    10 was confusing and strange. It looked good, played well, but made no damn sense. You're the dream of a dead city but your father is a sea monster? And then you beat the game and die but maybe not really? I know playing a final fantasy game means I should expect some kind of crazy story, but 10 was too much for me. I wanted it to be amazing and instead all I got was disappointment and confusion.

Went from IX (my fav, which will hurt my reputation with some people) to X, which was awful. You spoiled it after all these years cause I never even finished, didn't like the art style and hated every single character. Really could not get into that game.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNGuR8SO9xk

I upgraded my PC for this.

So much potential. So very terrible.

Interesting thing about APB: it cost tens of millions (possibly over a hundred) to make and made nothing back BUT it was then bought out by Gamers First for an absolute song and became hugely profitable for them. It was probably one of the most astute acquisitions in games history.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Star Control 3.

Nearly two decades after the now-defunct Accolade screwed us out of what should have been a proper, Toys For Bob written and developed follow-up to the epic Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters, it still hurts.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    DesmondPfeifferDesmondPfeiffer The secret diary of- Registered User regular
    Evander wrote: »
    I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned KOTOR 2. I mean, it was still pretty fun, despite the incredibly obvious fact that it was an unfinished game being sold for full retail price, but it was still an obviously unfinished game being sold for full retail price.

I actually thought KOTOR 2 was way better than 1 in every regard except for the fact that it was obviously very unfinished. I would replay it over the first though any day of the week, non-ending an all.

The characters were a lot more fully realized and felt more like people and less like they were filling an archetype. The story too, was a lot more interesting for me. KOTOR was pretty typical of what I would expect from a Star Wars game as far as story goes. KOTOR 2, however, actually did some interesting things that I had not at the time ever really seen done with the IP. For lack of me being able to explain why I feel this way, I just felt that the tone and presentation of 2 was a lot more mature.

Not to knock KOTOR or anything. I like it, it is a very fun game, I just think KOTOR 2 did it better. It's just a shame it didn't get officially completed. Though the restoration mod is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNGuR8SO9xk

I upgraded my PC for this.

So much potential. So very terrible.

Interesting thing about APB: it cost tens of millions (possibly over a hundred) to make and made nothing back BUT it was then bought out by Gamers First for an absolute song and became hugely profitable for them. It was probably one of the most astute acquisitions in games history.

Yeah, though from what I've played of Gamers First (I do a morbid check in on it every year for curiousities sake) the main way they did that was basically to stabilise the game (cars actually drive straight now! And turn without waiting a whole second to take your input!) and then tack every shitty F2P idea they can onto it. From renting guns to lucky boxes.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular

Oh yeah motherlicker? Well guess what? I disagree. I think both games, while very different, do an excellent job of exploring their respective themes, which are less objectivism/nationalism and more choice/redemption. But I can also understand your view.

I rest that defense, as I am an unabashed Bioshock fanboy, and could defend that game all nigh. Instead I will propose a new defendant.

Max Payne 3.

Rockstar Games has some of the finest technology and voice actors, but Dan Houser is a terrible writer, and his plot for Max Payne 3 belongs in the same heap of discarded dumb that the Dune Prequels live in.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Sonic 3D Blast is one that might not be especially well known these days, but it was probably the start of the Sonic Cycle that everyone jokes about. It was Sonic! In 3D! It was the future! And then it turned out that it controlled absolutely fucking awfully. And then it turned out that it was the only 3D Sonic platformer to ever get released for the Saturn, which was... not great.

To put things in perspective, in the same year that Sega's mascot was starring in this, Nintendo's was starring in this.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Burnage wrote: »
    Sonic 3D Blast is one that might not be especially well known these days, but it was probably the start of the Sonic Cycle that everyone jokes about. It was Sonic! In 3D! It was the future! And then it turned out that it controlled absolutely fucking awfully. And then it turned out that it was the only 3D Sonic platformer to ever get released for the Saturn, which was... not great.

To put things in perspective, in the same year that Sega's mascot was starring in this, Nintendo's was starring in this.

Wow, not having any Sega Systems I didn't realize that those were out at the same time. I've heard how awful 3d blast was and while the camera was sometimes not ideal, Mario 64 was amazing.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

Would have been a better game if it came out earlier - even keeping all the other issues, two years earlier would have probably bought it 1-2 extra points on review scores. Badly delayed games usually ends up being bad not just because they suck on their own (they often do for other reasons, but sometimes the developers actually use the extra time to make a polished and smooth game), but because the genre shifts around them and they end up feeling like a relic of a dead era, like releasing a run-and-gun Quake clone in the era of regenerating health and cover mechanics.

Hevach on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Rockstar Games has some of the finest technology and voice actors, but Dan Houser is a terrible writer, and his plot for Max Payne 3 belongs in the same heap of discarded dumb that the Dune Prequels live in.

I think the games industry would do well to have more writers as terrible as the one that wrote Red Dead Redemption.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »

Wow, not having any Sega Systems I didn't realize that those were out at the same time. I've heard how awful 3d blast was and while the camera was sometimes not ideal, Mario 64 was amazing.

Remember, Nights Into Dreams came out the same time as Mario 64 and it looked alright graphically. Even without Sonic, Sega had its 3D Go Fast game out that holiday season.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Apostate wrote: »
    Age of Conan.

A big, well known mythology to mine for stories and ideas. Great concept art with a look very different from the WOW aesthetic (which I had become very tired of). Guilds could build castles and the like and fight each other. Third person action controls that was supposed to be more than just clicking on icons from time to time. PVP anywhere.

It sounded great but pretty much disappointed in every way. The controls weren't "action oriented" they were just needlessly complicated. You could just make a macro for them and it became every other MMO out there. The guild stuff took forever and wasn't in working condition even 6 months in. Large areas were broken and for every fix two other things broke. While there was PVP anywhere it was frustrating and not particularly fun so it just became annoying.

Only time I ever pre-ordered a game and I'm so glad I did.

It came with an exclusive pre-order mount that after release was selling for exactly the price of the game on eBay.

Sold the code for it without hesitation after my first day of the game and immediately uninstall. Bullet dodged.

My entry into the list is one I haven't seen mentioned.

Enter The Matrix.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    My entry into the list is one I haven't seen mentioned.

Enter The Matrix.

The game was so aggressively mediocre and buggy, I think that's why no one mentioned it until now. Hell, I forgot it even existed.