Options

Double Secret Boxes (update: YOU WERE NOT PREPARED!)

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    So many 2013 East Kempers ... I can hope one winds up in my meager boxes ... Oh I can hope.

• Options
    evanephrineevanephrine ev-an-eff-rinn Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    dmosinee wrote: »
    Qumaden wrote: »
    So much for DSB boxes helping new collectors.

Do explain. Learning is good.

I suspect he may be thinking that from this point forward it will be near impossible for a new collector to get the blind boxes, as the demand for them by hardcore collectors just shot through the stratosphere :o

This is why I think it's unreasonable to complain about the lack of trade availability in the community. Wouldn't it be more advantageous for us as a whole to let the newer community members have the first crack at the blind boxes? That way they're getting pins for their collections and trades, as well as giving them more potential for trades with "hardcore" collectors who's fodder pins number in the hundreds. Maybe it's just me but I think spending hundreds of dollars on a bunch of random boxes for a chance to get just one pin is a bit of a hassle compared to trading a newer member a few of your extras for the one you're looking for.

TL;DR: Let the pins land where they may and trade for them later, it's more fun that way.

• Options
    SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    All of this talk about the DSB Blind Merch and the hardcore demand versus newbie demand for them has me thinking:

How many hardcore collectors are in the world? How many completists?

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    A lifetime limit would be ridic, but I would think a "per release cycle" limit would be reasonable.
    Yeah, I'm not entirely serious. But I think there needs to be a way to give new entrants an edge of some kind.
    • Like a lifetime limited starter pack.
    • Tiered pricing (the more you buy, the more it costs).
    • Tiered limits. The more you have bought ever, the less you can buy each cycle with some lower limit.
    • A portion of each cycle set aside for first-time buyers (or who have spent below $X).

• Options
    NopeNope Frankfort, KYRegistered User regular
    SerpicoBC wrote: »
    All of this talk about the DSB Blind Merch and the hardcore demand versus newbie demand for them has me thinking:

Part of me thinks if you are on PinnyPals you are likely hardcore, as far as completionists go....I too wonder

• Options
    KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    I suppose you could think of it like PAX - there is a limited supply and an endless demand and PA is never going to be able to satisfy anyone. Those of us who refresh, who know their schedule, who plan in advance... sure we have an advantage in getting tickets. But that doesn't mean that it's wrong of us to do that?

There are some of us who are also really into pins and we know the schedule, we refresh, we talk and plan about what's rare and where to go for deals. Of course, we have an advantage in the pin trade... but I don't know that that's wrong either.

Personally, I would consider myself a serious collector, but take a look at my lanyard! I have very little compared to real collectors. I buy DSB to supplement my collection to trade with others to get the ones I want, so nearly 100% of my DSB will go into at least one trade, if not more. The "money multiplier effect" may not work on pins, but new traders as well as seasoned experts have access to these pins if they ask to trade.

Limiting the supply to people like me just seems like it would not be in the best interest of the majority. I'm always all for a starter pack (which I suggested in the "Are the Lookouts coming back" thread a while ago), but I think the goal is just to get them circulating. Trading > buying, if you're talking about community engagement and I would hope the DSB would be an end to that goal.

Rare pins in them... I just consider a thank you from PA. Other than completionists, I don't know if the majority of pin users would be interested?

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Nope wrote: »

Part of me thinks if you are on PinnyPals you are likely hardcore, as far as completionists go....I too wonder

I dunno ... I'm on PinnyPals, and I just like to get pins for games I care about, and the PAX shows I attend. And Kemper, because who the hell doesn't want Kemper pins? :P
    For those of us who can't get to several shows a year, PinnyPals is the best resource for just trying to pick up some things you like. I don't think you have to be hardcore at all for that ...

• Options
    calamityjamiecalamityjamie Corgi Wrangler Seattle, WARegistered User staff
    @Happendy I love that the Brian SHAME pin is your avatar

• Options
    CesspoolCesspool Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Second set of 12. Unfortunately no DSB, but I did get a few things I needed. The sketch one is Gabe.

j1zdt3e7rvyh.jpg

• Options
    chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm a pin newbie- my first trade was Prime 2014. I'm not a completionist, which starting this late might be a very difficult thing to be, but I've found it very easy to find even the rarer pins I was after (like the Carl.) Trading up, the events at the show, stumbling on the DSB the first time, and the friendly pin community have made it so (as has only ever missing one Prime, one East, and all the Australia shows, please don't hate me @Robert Khoo .) I've found everything immensely accessible for starting out; I think new traders will do fine.

• Options
    rentfnrentfn Registered User regular
    7 boxes and I got one of the DSB Merch
    2o8ivrfs19nf.jpg

DSB.jpg 34.2K
  • Options
    KurpavKurpav Registered User regular
    I'm a completionist that is really far behind.

On the Hunt: Star Trek, Gold Overwatch, Glitch
    Check 'em: My Pins!
  • Options
    rentfn wrote: »
    7 boxes and I got one of the DSB Merch
    2o8ivrfs19nf.jpg

CONGRATS!!!

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    PA Jamie wrote: »
    @Happendy I love that the Brian SHAME pin is your avatar

It was part of the deal after South

• Options
    Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    A lifetime limit would be ridic, but I would think a "per release cycle" limit would be reasonable.
    Yeah, I'm not entirely serious. But I think there needs to be a way to give new entrants an edge of some kind.
    • Tiered limits. The more you have bought ever, the less you can buy each cycle with some lower limit.
    • A portion of each cycle set aside for first-time buyers (or who have spent below $X).

Wow, I can't think of a better set of rules to make me turn to eBay!

Battle.net: ChubbyBunny#1452 | Steam: Bunny1248 | Xbox Live: CBunny1

My Digital Pin Lanyard || PAX East '13, '14, '15, '19 | PAX South '15
  • Options
    00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular

Another thing. Our Veteran pin community, from the VAST majority that I've seen, are very helpful with getting pins into new traders hands. I've given away at least 40-50 pins over 5 PAX's, including a Hanna and a Leeroy, to new traders who were super excited and just wanted to know where to start(or in the case of the Hanna, that is literally the ONLY pin she wanted,but thought she'd never get).

I was a completionist, but I am not anymore, but I'll still love collecting pins when I can. This is the best damn community that you can be in for being helpful for new pin traders. If a veteran wants to buy 50 boxes, then let em, because most of the hardcore people will give back 1/3 of those pins(at least) in trades that are in skewed in a new collectors favor anyways. That's just the way the community is. They are buying the DSB's for the LE pin. They are supporting PA. They are doing what we all love to do!

Just my 2¢

• Options
    Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular
    00Fayt00 wrote: »

Another thing. Our Veteran pin community, from the VAST majority that I've seen, are very helpful with getting pins into new traders hands. I've given away at least 40-50 pins over 5 PAX's, including a Hanna and a Leeroy, to new traders who were super excited and just wanted to know where to start(or in the case of the Hanna, that is literally the ONLY pin she wanted,but thought she'd never get).

I was a completionist, but I am not anymore, but I'll still love collecting pins when I can. This is the best damn community that you can be in for being helpful for new pin traders. If a veteran wants to buy 50 boxes, then let em, because most of the hardcore people will give back 1/3 of those pins(at least) in trades that are in skewed in a new collectors favor anyways. That's just the way the community is. They are buying the DSB's for the LE pin. They are supporting PA. They are doing what we all love to do!

Just my 2¢

Completely agree. I love video games, collecting shiny things, and I've been a fan of PA for a long time. Pinny is a great way to support all 3 of those things, and helping new collectors is a great feeling. I'm also of the mind that since more and more pins are coming out (and becoming more expensive), the 100% completionist mindset is going the way of the dinosaur, which takes a lot of pressure off of veteran collectors and lets them make trades they might not otherwise make. This community has always been awesome for people just starting out; both online and at PAXen, where you can trade 1:1 without question at the pin trading tables and to staff for anything on their lanyards. Those are *huge* opportunities for new collectors.

Battle.net: ChubbyBunny#1452 | Steam: Bunny1248 | Xbox Live: CBunny1

My Digital Pin Lanyard || PAX East '13, '14, '15, '19 | PAX South '15
  • Options
    KurpavKurpav Registered User regular
    Another thing. Our Veteran pin community, from the VAST majority that I've seen, are very helpful with getting pins into new traders hands. (snip)

Just my 2¢

I'm an Enforcer in Expo. At South I started trading one-for-one regardless of pin 'value'. That made a LOT of people happy. Two even came back to thank me when they found out what I'd given them.

On the Hunt: Star Trek, Gold Overwatch, Glitch
    Check 'em: My Pins!
  • Options
    blighttdmblighttdm NYRegistered User regular
    Seeing all of these unboxed DSB are exciting to see. Helping to kill the suspense whilst waiting on my own 8.

• Options
    BrushwoodMuttBrushwoodMutt Registered User regular
    To throw in the perspective of another noob, the community is wonderful! Like I can ask any number of questions and someone usually helps out, and I ask a lot of questions. But stuff like figuring out fodder and relative rarity, people came out of the woodwork to provide advice and suggestions on sites and stuff. I don't think penalizing veterans would be good because I think it would warp how people interact. Right now everyone is on the same playing field so to speak the only difference is knowledge which as mentioned before veterans love to bridge the gap of! So I'm not sure how it is better to change how it works.

• Options
    LetMeInLetMeIn Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    spoiler is discussion on DSB limit possibility (don't read if you want to stay away from it)
    I don't think the shop system they have right now is able to restrict purchases anywhere close to what some of you think should happen to the DSB.I bought 24 with 1 order even though there was suppose to be 12 per order and I still have no idea where the limit spot was but with my order there was a notability to it which caused them to call me and they could have canceled my order easily. Even if the limit does work they would have to do the same type of things Reedexpo does with the pax tickets(have a program that flags duplicates and then have a team comb through that list,I think that is what they do) which would cause great delays on shipping and possibly cost PA more(a different shop system and more employee to handle orders), which would then also cause the cost to go up.
    My opinion is I don't think the DSB should be limited in away because it is them reselling pins at a bit of a discount and it is up to person to buy what they need for their enjoyment.Yes the DSB merch pin is a rare in the the boxes and it is going to cause the DSB to sell quicker but would we be having this discussion if there was a hint that there was a DLC in a DSB before the the sale started? As for new entrants getting a jump start by buying theses I think what should happen instead is the trading community should focus more on getting the sets from the new entrants instead of buying them from the merch booth/shop, I mean think of it this way, what if the proxy people would take a set back put fodder pins on them and offer it for PAX sets to the new people trading at pax that way you get the set you needed to buy and they find out how great the trading community is.

If you are replying to me about this please put in in a spoiler text
    While typing this out I saw the discussion has switched back to the good parts of the community, so I'll leave it hidden in a spoiler

Is there anyone else holding off on opening their DSBs till pax?
    I know I already asked it once but I only saw hacky's reply with a possibility,if he has any left after finding a DSB merch pin
    Side note:I am curious if the merch team even noticed @Happendy 36 DSB order(s) and how many more people @merchmistress had to call about orders over

LetMeIn on
  • Options
    madorukmadoruk WA, USARegistered User regular
    LetMeIn wrote: »
    spoiler is discussion on DSB limit possibility (don't read if you want to stay away from it)
    I don't think the shop system they have right now is able to restrict purchases anywhere close to what some of you think should happen to the DSB.I bought 24 with 1 order even though there was suppose to be 12 per order and I still have no idea where the limit spot was but with my order there was a notability to it which caused them to call me and they could have canceled my order easily. Even if the limit does work they would have to do the same type of things Reedexpo does with the pax tickets(have a program that flags duplicates and then have a team comb through that list,I think that is what they do) which would cause great delays on shipping and possibly cost PA more(a different shop system and more employee to handle orders), which would then also cause the cost to go up.
    My opinion is I don't think the DSB should be limited in away because it is them reselling pins at a bit of a discount and it is up to person to buy what they need for their enjoyment.Yes the DSB merch pin is a rare in the the boxes and it is going to cause the DSB to sell quicker but would we be having this discussion if there was a hint that there was a DLC in a DSB before the the sale started? As for new entrants getting a jump start by buying theses I think what should happen instead is the trading community should focus more on getting the sets from the new entrants instead of buying them from the merch booth/shop, I mean think of it this way, what if the proxy people would take a set back put fodder pins on them and offer it for PAX sets to the new people trading at pax that way you get the set you needed to buy and they find out how great the trading community is.

While typing this out I saw the discussion has switched back to the good parts of the community, so I'll leave it hidden in a spoiler

I know I already asked it once but I only saw hacky's reply with a possibility,if he has any left after finding a DSB merch pin
    Side note:I am curious if the merch team even noticed @Happendy 36 DSB order(s) and how many more people @merchmistress had to call about orders over

I have three boxes I am waiting to open until at Pax, unless most people decide to open them early.

• Options
    edited August 2015

Happendy ordered three sets of 12 boxes, as for most people if you had more then 12 it kicked you back to 12.

Ordering sets of 12 though was completely 'legal' per say as the wording is 12 per ORDER. Hence, I doubt they had to call many about ordering more then 12. You someone snuck through the system with that 24 which is the only reason it flagged and they cared. :)

00Fayt00 on
  • Options
    Wraith90Wraith90 Saskatoon, SkRegistered User regular
    I'm holding out with my 5 boxes to open in the merch lite line on Friday, but seeing as how I won't get my hands on them until a day before Pax ( getting them shipped to my parents to make sure I have them for Pax) it shouldn't be hard to resist the temptation.

• Options
    Well I can't wait totally, but I want to hold off 3 to open at PAX since @merchmistress seemed really excited at that idea when someone first proposed it. So once I get them I figured I'd post a pic of them unopened and have her choose which 3 I saved if she wanted to since I'd be saving them so she could see them opened in person.

• Options
    You guys, reading about your experiences in the Pinny community seriously makes my day. I've seen incredible Pin Vets go great lengths to welcome new traders or make Pin Dreams come true, and the kindness and generosity of the community inspires me. That's even considering what I do every day. You guys are incredible - thank you for being you.

• Options
    merchmistressmerchmistress Registered User regular

Happendy ordered three sets of 12 boxes, as for most people if you had more then 12 it kicked you back to 12.

Ordering sets of 12 though was completely 'legal' per say as the wording is 12 per ORDER. Hence, I doubt they had to call many about ordering more then 12. You someone snuck through the system with that 24 which is the only reason it flagged and they cared. :)

We just wanted to make sure we didn't have some sort of glitch going on as it was one of the first orders placed. @LetMeIn was so kind to help us figure it out! But what else could I expect from this community?!?! You guys are one very helpful, inclusive, unique and amazing group of humans! <3 MM

• Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    Senno wrote: »
    Bought 5 - managed to move a couple of expenses around. Gonna be a hard few weeks.

Bought 24 boxes.....they don't come in till next week tho...grrrrrr.

I'll be ecstatic if I get mine before I leave for PAX.

I don't see why you wouldn't, PAX Prime isn't for like two weeks almost :)

I have a notoriously bad history of my shipments getting all the way down here. I don't think I've ever gotten an order in less than two weeks. There's some kind of supermassive heavenly body that exists between the PA warehouse and Kent, because my orders tend to ping pong back and forth there two or three times before heading south. If I lived up there I wouldn't want to come down here either.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    @merchmistress So I was wondering if you would like to pick the 3 I save to open at PAX? Or if you would want to see more than 3?

zmhpf5v1040b.jpg
    Starting from the top left would be 1 and bottom left would be 7 if you wish to do so. Because my understanding of why we would hold off till PAX to open them is because after all the hard work the Merch group put in to getting them shipped being able to see the excitement of opening them in person would let them see how happy their work made others, if I'm understanding the situation properly. ^ ^

PS This is my haul unopened ^ ^ Orange is my favorite color so I love the new bag!!!
    s34xyvqg8abc.jpg

edit @Qumaden I know that feeling, I'm in the Houston area and I sprung for the 2-day shipping to try and avoid that vortex in Kent.

BrushwoodMutt on
  • Options
    merchmistressmerchmistress Registered User regular
    @merchmistress So I was wondering if you would like to pick the 3 I save to open at PAX? Or if you would want to see more than 3?

zmhpf5v1040b.jpg
    Starting from the top left would be 1 and bottom left would be 7 if you wish to do so. Because my understanding of why we would hold off till PAX to open them is because after all the hard work the Merch group put in to getting them shipped being able to see the excitement of opening them in person would let them see how happy their work made others, if I'm understanding the situation properly. ^ ^

PS This is my haul unopened ^ ^ Orange is my favorite color so I love the new bag!!!
    s34xyvqg8abc.jpg

Open 11 and save #11. 11 is my lucky number. <3 MM

• Options
    dmosineedmosinee Davenport, IARegistered User regular
    This is my haul unopened

That is a nice unopened haul -- and just think of all the tasty pins you could get in trade from certain turkey related pin traders if you wind up with a spare blind merch... ;-)

Digital Lanyard, I love trades - https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dmosinee
    http://pinmash.info - Two pins enter, one pins leaves... then the other pin leaves with a lower Elo rating
  • Options
    @merchmistress Are you sure I should save only 1?

• Options
    So much for DSB boxes helping new collectors.

Do explain. Learning is good.

So look at the sales. Last couple of times, the blind boxes sold out pretty quickly. This time the sales were kind of slow(I assume because they didn't sell out in less than an hour) at the onset. I'm sure there were a decent number of purchases, but a lot of completionists like me had no reason to buy them. I flat out said "I'll buy a couple and leave the bulk of them for people who actually need pins". Then, this secret Merch Illidan hit the internet when the first wave of PAC NW dwellers started to open their blind boxes. The next morning the boxes were gone really fast. As much as I hate to be greedy, I ordered several more blind boxes(I woke up early that day thankfully) just to get a shot at that pin. I have several casual collecting friends who would love to pick up blind boxes, but they're not as obsessive as me about pins. The addition of the secret pin in the blind boxes is a neat idea, and the hardcore completionist in me has to have one(hopefully), but I know that I(and I'm sure many others like me) ordered many a blind box just for that pin; those cool random rare pins that go out now go back into the hands of people like me who just don't need more copies of those pins.

I like to consider myself a pretty nice guy, I love to help new people get into pin trading and try to help people get the pins they want...heck I think at all the PAXen I've been to I've given away more pins than I've traded for. When you throw the words "limited edition" into the mix, it turns into Lord of the Flies.

Please don't mistake my comment as disrespectful or derisive, PA is a business like any other, and making money is kind of the point; you guys give us so much joy and happiness that when stuff like this does happen, we enjoy buying the products; not just because it's a cool design or because it's limited, but because we also love PA and all the folks who bring so much joy to our lives and the lives of others(I'm lookin at you Child's Play).

• Options
    edited August 2015

edit @Qumaden I know that feeling, I'm in the Houston area and I sprung for the 2-day shipping to try and avoid that vortex in Kent.

This means nothing, nothing I tell ya!! ;) Things still go poof. I sprung for 2 Day shipping on the two packages ordered as soon as they went up on Monday. I got one of them yesterday, haven't gotten a shipping notice on the other though still. Soooo I think sometimes things disappear for a while even with upped shipping. :)

00Fayt00 on
  • Options
    edited August 2015

This means nothing, nothing I tell ya!! ;) Things still go poof. I sprung for 2 Day shipping on the two packages ordered as soon as they went up on Monday. I got one of them yesterday, haven't gotten a shipping notice on the other though still. Soooo I think sometimes things disappear for a while even with upped shipping. :)

I too ordered them Monday and got them today. And based on the shipping notice they spent quite some time just in Kent I saw. ;3

BrushwoodMutt on
  • Options
    edited August 2015

I still think my mistake was ordering a print. I always order a print to have signed by Mike and Jerry at PAX, and I'm guessing that's the hold up on my order. Plus I made three separate orders. I'd like to combine all the shipping, but I've never been able to get that to happen, they're usually already shipped by the time they see my email.

Qumaden on
  • Options
    A note on trading Blind Boxes to staff - if you want to trade the pin(s) in your Blind Box, we will ask that you take them out of the box first. You can dump the pin into your hand without looking at it and pass it over for a trade if you really wanna play that risk game, but we don't want to trade full Blind Boxes.

• Options
    edited August 2015

I have a notoriously bad history of my shipments getting all the way down here. I don't think I've ever gotten an order in less than two weeks. There's some kind of supermassive heavenly body that exists between the PA warehouse and Kent, because my orders tend to ping pong back and forth there two or three times before heading south. If I lived up there I wouldn't want to come down here either.

Bummer, I live in KY and stuff usually takes forever to get here too, but I shall hope for the best in both our cases!
    When you throw the words "limited edition" into the mix, it turns into Lord of the Flies.

Naaaaw, I think there is enough of a split in collector's where the LE label is only a partial incentive to some, and to others it just makes them shrug and go "Oh that's cool".....then again I tend to be pretty naive sometimes...esp when it comes to pinny collecting/trading...I just trade for stuff that looks neat :)

Nope on
  • Options
    contendrcontendr Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I was really hoping to see mine in the mail today, but only found disappointment. I still haven't gotten a shipping confirmation e-mail despite ordering within 3 minutes of the DSBs going up on the store. I even e-mailed merch to see if I could get a tracking number yesterday with no reply. I'm really starting to wonder about my order.

Edit: Just got a reply with my tracking number (Thanks Nathan)! Looks like the mail is just slow and I will get them on Monday.

contendr on
  • Options
    contendr wrote: »
    I was really hoping to see mine in the mail today, but only found disappointment. I still haven't gotten a shipping confirmation e-mail despite ordering within 3 minutes of the DSBs going up on the store. I even e-mailed merch to see if I could get a tracking number yesterday with no reply. I'm really starting to wonder about my order.

Edit: Just got a reply with my tracking number (Thanks Nathan)! Looks like the mail is just slow and I will get them on Monday.

That is timing right there! haha.

I try not to get impatient with things like shipping...but I still do sometimes. It's something I need to work on. :P. It's been a rough week so really hoping a DSB Merch will pick it up for me. haha. I sent an email for each last night also just in case, but I figured that they are probably flooded with emails of the sort so I figured they are just trying to wade threw them all. :)