As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bob Saget [chat]

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Is "dude looks like a lady" the classic trap story? Obviously it's not using accepted modern language for transfolk but is it demeaning? Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it sounds like at the end of the song the singer gets with dude-who-looks-like-a-lady and is cool with that.

Another one that has always puzzled me is Somebody Told Me by The Killers.

I asked what people thought of the song Lola once, but no one seemed interested in the topic. I would like to know about all 3. If I remember Lola right, he is also pretty cool with it.
    He is very very cool with it.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    the bees have formed a complete and complex society

they have begun agriculture

soon they will enter their industrial age

you will be able to tell this when you hear an unceasing hammering, almost out of earshot but slightly above your head

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Is "dude looks like a lady" the classic trap story? Obviously it's not using accepted modern language for transfolk but is it demeaning? Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it sounds like at the end of the song the singer gets with dude-who-looks-like-a-lady and is cool with that.

I don't think that song has any meaning at all

killers lyrics seem to be rorschach blots

or are we dancer?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    I think I will LoL tonight instead of aging some dragons

unless I put up a christmas tree and clean the house and cook

2/3rds of those things are fun but man I don't want to go into the attic

we had bees in the attic while I was unemployed and couldn't afford an exterminator. They stopped being a problem but I've been afraid to look. Maybe they're just comfortable not coming into the house anymore, or maybe they left

idk

I haven't been in the attic since August

I don't know what I will find up there.

fucking bee voltron is what you will find

a giant bee made out of smaller bees

and it will sting you right in the dick

don't go into the attic ever again

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    the bees have formed a complete and complex society

they have begun agriculture

soon they will enter their industrial age

you will be able to tell this when you hear an unceasing hammering, almost out of earshot but slightly above your head

messages left in honey on the back door

research trade proposals, the alphabet and pottery in exchange for

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Incubation Period, 12-72 hours.

T_____T

poo
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    man I need to go to the store but I am really paralyzed when it comes of thinking of stuff to make to eat

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

or are we dancer?

A GRAMATICALLY VALID QUESTION

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    yeah, i just looked at the song lyrics to Lola. I think it has a good message about accepting people.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    finally saw guardians of the galaxy last night since it came out on demand

groot is pretty great

also the lil raccoon bro is p adorbs and reminds me of ludious

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

or are we dancer?

Don't kill me Santa

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    FWIW watching the social justice machine absolutely rage against him was very disrespectful and disproportionate to the attitudes that he maintains.

I support the ever ceasing ouroboros because it is necessary to create better and better iterations of social justice values but the ability and propensity for incredibly young and historically ignorant queer people to froth at the mouth about concepts that they know little of is a very sad thing that I don't think should be encouraged.

i think this is a problem with progressives in general.

like, social justice is about incremental progress. that's how it happens. but of course even the most liberal of people will find their values calcifying as they age, having been informed by the fights of their youth. it's probably better IMO to cut these people a little slack

but then again if it weren't a neverending cycle of nasty infighting and backbiting it wouldn't be progressive culture.

That's not exclusive to liberal culture, that happens to every political clique.

probably so, but i think that the continual progressive bent towards, well, "progress" necessarily means that tradition and age is going to be treated with less respect than the corresponding "conservative" clique (who at least imagines that the political values of their forebears have great merit, even if this recollection is invented out of wholecloth)

Progressives disagree on what progress means just as conservatives disagree on what being conservative is. There are various sub-groups that exist within those political ideologies who also have their own sub-factions. Politics is rarely people agreeing on every detail and conflicts occur from human nature. That's why there are Tea Partiers and Feminists who fight each other on what those terms mean in their sub-groups. It's politics, not the ideology that creates infighting.

edit: Conservatives are very much fighting among themselves, re: Moderate vs Tea Party vs Libertarian wings in the GOP.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    man I need to go to the store but I am really paralyzed when it comes of thinking of stuff to make to eat

1 lb stew meat, 1 onion, 3 cups broth

put in pot, stew for 1 hour, thicken w/ corn starch

make rice

pour your gravy meat concoction onto rice

use salt from tears to spice as needed

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Skippydumptruck can only achieve orgasm by others being in pain.

He is the meanest

Hatin on me all the time, he also dissed me IRL.

Guys we should form a support group. "Living with Skippy"

I don't remember this at all! you're a lying liar who lies

Seems legit

sig.gif
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

I am doing cube steak with lima beans tonight.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    what he does say to bisexual people is that they need to come out, and bi people will not be taken seriously until they do.

this is an unpleasant thing to be told because coming out is terrifying.

this is a fair point
    it's also hard to be "out" when you're, say, currently in a hetero relationship when it happens to be mostly coincidental that it happened that way
    just as a
    yknow
    example

like I'm pretty open that I'm not a hetero person (I think) but it's a can of worms I don't feel like getting into with some folks
    and that IS actually part of the problem

yeah, like why or even how would you be "open" about it in that situation esp if you're monogamous

I would say a lot of dan savage's former bitterness came from the perception that bisexual men were trying to have their cake and eat it too by retreating to hetrosexuality and then just continuing that part of themselves in secret or not at all, and him being left in the cold by a former lover.

I bring it up because I think a bisexual guest was talking about erasure and other issues, and dan's opinion that it was because most bisexual men and women are not out, far far less than gay men and women (it might have been as drastic as like 30 vs 80 percent).

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    burgr

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular

or are we dancer?

oh my god one of my best friends was obsessed with that song and it very nearly ended our friendship

• Options
    I should wear a hat now that I'm a bald for the same reason will

I haven't been able to go for anything other than a dull gray baseball cap thus far

you could almost certainly pull it off

i'm sure it would look fine on you and also gay dudes get a lot more latitude for being fashionably adventurous

and also not suspected of misogyny quite the same way as a straight

tho to be honest a lot of gay dudes have nastily dismissive sorts of attitudes towards women that doesn't usually register as "misogyny" but probably should

yes it's a very unfortunate and baffling problem amongst some gays. I guess that we're 'allowed' to be mean to women or something.

i mean at the end of the day, sexual attraction tends to drive social interest, even just subconsciously. from that particular angle, women don't have much to offer gay guys. it's easy i think to just think "why are these people i am not interested in showing up and making things about them?!"

there is also the whole "hag" phenomenon where self-loathing ladies seek out gay guys for company and end up being kind of pitied and tolerated and that probably drives attitudes too.

and also spurned aggressive sexual interest seems to be a big component of straight dude misogyny.

yeah I am sort of bad at this. my best friend is a lady and I love her but uh

if I'm going to be honest i'm much better at remembering the names of men and things about them because I find them sexually interesting. even if i'm not attracted to them at all. which is something I hate admitting about myself but there you go. on the other hand I am very good friends with some ladies because I feel I can get close to them and not have to worry about falling for them. That hasn't happened to me with a straight dude in a long time, but it's still a concern.

I don't really have any gay friends except for gays I've met on the boards, and I think a big part of that is that I can't deal with someone who might want to sleep with me and I might actually want to sleep with them back, especially if I'm with a dude i'm probably going to marry. It's just a tension I've avoided like the plague most of my life, and oddly enough it's served me quite well.

but If i'm going to put on my psychologist hat, I would say some gays hate women because they grew up falling for dudes who like women, and they feel that the women (who sometimes cheat, are bad partners, and don't like having giving sex - just like men) don't deserve the dudes they spend so many years pining for.

huh that is interesting. all of it. you are an astute dude casual eddy.

i tend not to have close lady friends also, probably for the same reason that you avoid gay dude friends, but i had never really thought about it.

thank you will I appreciate that

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    i also want food

HMMM

OKAY TIME TO CLEAN BATHROOM THEN I CAN EAT FOOD AND BE HAPPY AND THEN I CAN SLEEP TONIGHT AND THEN I HAVE TO WAKE UP AND ADMINISTER AN EXAM AT 7AM AND THEN FINISH GRADING ALL OF THEM PLUS PAPERS BY TOMORROW EVENING

• Options
    i am out of liquor and food

<.<

*curls up in bed*

• Options
    i hope i don't poop myself to death

poo
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    This picture is the best description of Scallia ever.

RTR4A1AA.jpg

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

or are we dancer?
    o

oh my god one of my best friends was obsessed with that song and it very nearly ended our friendship

And then you found out you were dancer?

• Options
    honestly it's the callers and weird guests he has on that makes the podcast

like he has this really good doctor who comes on a lot because people have a lot of health questions about drinking pee, and he's like

very knowledgable about it and answers all these questions about drinking pee

i knew it

did you know drinking someone's pee who takes drugs can make you test positive for those drugs!

thats what the doctor said

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

ez mode: Mexican food

Cheeses: cheddar, colby, jack, asadero
    Meats: ground beef, steak, chicken, pork shoulder
    Spices: salt, cayenne, paprika, black pepper, cumin, cilantro
    Produce: Jalapeños, onion, lettuce, avocado, tomato, lime
    Dry goods: Tortillas (corn or flour), rice

Maybe beans if you are into beans.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    or just go the ultra simple route.

Chicken. Rice. Romaine Lettuce.

Boom. Done.

• Options
    be like me and make boring utilitarian food cuz you are a lazy shitlord

and then when you eat good food it's that much better!

poo
  • Options
    i think i'm eating eggs or something dull and healthy because i'm back on the weekday diet

• Options
    "There's the PHYSICS BUILDING...no time to look for a PARKING spot!!"

we've all been there, Spider-Man

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

i hadn't thought about SWARM forever

i remember seeing this cartoon saturday morning when i was a kid and just thought it was the most amazing thing

spoilers: in addition to flash thompson, aunt may gets turned into a swarm

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    espresso balsamic is approaching required staple level in my house

It's so wonderful for adding sweetness and bitterness and elevating flavor all at once. Maybe the best non-dessert balsamic.

I have a raspberry balsamic that you can sprinkle on strawberries and eat, no other adornment necessary.

• Options
    The ingredients for a great burrito are endlessly reconfigurable, easy to make in portions that feed a single person, not too unhealthy, and aren't bad reheated. They are my go to when I am in a store and I forgot to plan meals.

• Options
    i don't remember the voice acting and animation from spider-man and his amazing friends being quite so bad

then again i was 10 the last time i saw it probably

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    but don't give yourself salmonella

poo
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    chat is home to a fair few bi peeps who either now or in past have been in long term monogamous hetero relationships

and like, there really isn't anything you can like do to be "openly bi"

you just say "yeah, if things were different I could have been in a same sex relationship but they aren't and I'm not"

and that's about it

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Shaz, if you get salmonella think of all the weight you will lose

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    but don't give yourself salmonella

give yourself a salmon ladder

This discussion has been closed.