As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cunning disguises

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    We haven't had the sitting vs. standing debate in a while, can we take it off the list

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Guys!

I just found the best thing in my grocery store's cereal eisle!
    g2MWxgs.jpg

:biggrin:

I do not remember asking for this.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Guys!

I just found the best thing in my grocery store's cereal eisle!
    g2MWxgs.jpg

:biggrin:

I do not remember asking for this.
    what'd you ask for?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    the mayo debate

one of the seven inevitable arguments of SE

I was considering trying to come up with a list

But the contents of that are probably The Eighth Argument

• Options
    We could make a collaborative list

1.) mayo or Miracle Whip
    2.) wiping your butt sitting or standing

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    3) Pineapple on pizza

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Ghostbusters II

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    What do you mean "see"

You wouldn't remember seeing anything, you'd have a 5 year gap in your memories?

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    What do you mean "see"

You wouldn't remember seeing anything, you'd have a 5 year gap in your memories?

Yeah I assume it would be fall asleep on (say) December 31st 2000 and wake up January 1st 2006 from your perspective.

• Options
    That seems a bit like the kind of question Jaden Smith would ask on Twitter

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    @Veldrin this is a pretty easy question to answer if you've ever been under general anaesthetic.

There is a snap of time. You're sitting in your hospital room, talking to nurses and maybe family members as the drugs take effect, then it is like blinking your eyes and you wake up in recovery. You do not comprehend the passing of time, it was then and now it is now. It feels instant.

Pretty sure if you lost the entirety of your memory from a period it would seem the same. From your perspective that entire time period would disappear, it would snap from 2010 to now.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I agree with the snap forward idea overall.

Though I guess I'm talking more about how you'd perceive events as they happen in real-time during the 5 years.

Veldrin on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I assume you'd perceive them normally in real-time, assuming it's an after-the-fact memory wipe and not something inhibiting the forming of new memories during that five year period.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Ok so you're not talking about 5 years of events from the past, you're saying

"your memory doesn't work right now"

It's important to note that short term and long term memory are quite different, and handled by different parts of the brain so it's not very common that both are affected. Also memory doesn't really affect comprehension. Someone can have a profound memory disorder where their short term memory doesn't last longer than 10 seconds (such people actually exist) but you can maintain a conversation with them, they will complete tasks you ask them to, the will answer questions, but after 10 seconds, they won't remember you or anything they've done.

So to answer your question, yes you would see, hear, observe the world as usual, you just wouldn't be able to recall any of it.

#pipe on
  • Options
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

Though I guess I'm talking more about how you'd perceive events as they happen in real-time during the 5 years.

If your memories are being erased after the fact then I guess you'd have perceived them normally, it's like you're deleting a computer file

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

I don't... this is someone wiping the memory after the five-year period, yes? They didn't somehow go back in time and alter your perception as the events happened?

If that's the case than the perception in question has already happened, and would have presumably happened as it normally would. It's just that you wouldn't be able to recall it after this memory wipe.

I must be misunderstanding what you're asking, because I can't imagine any alternative way of that happening with the given scenario.

• Options
    @#pipe I was actually talking about 5 years of previous events yeah, but that's a very interesting concept that you brought up too. Also a little terrifying.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    oh well then if it's 5 years worth of events from the past then yeah

poof

they're gone. Never happened. No perception of them, period.

#pipe on
  • Options
    Yeah I guess that realistically the answer is pretty simple and obvious.

Perception is just such an interesting thing.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    #pipe wrote: »
    @Veldrin this is a pretty easy question to answer if you've ever been under general anaesthetic.

There is a snap of time. You're sitting in your hospital room, talking to nurses and maybe family members as the drugs take effect, then it is like blinking your eyes and you wake up in recovery. You do not comprehend the passing of time, it was then and now it is now. It feels instant.

Pretty sure if you lost the entirety of your memory from a period it would seem the same. From your perspective that entire time period would disappear, it would snap from 2010 to now.

There's also the people who are awake and feel pain while having surgery done but are given medication that prevents them remembering. From their perspective (afterwards) it is no different to being under.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

When a buddy of mine got his wisdom teeth out, they gave him the anesthesia and told him to count down from 10.
    "Ten... nine... eight..." and he passed out.
    They did the tooth pulling, and brought him out from under.
    "Seven... what happened?"

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Having just experienced a lapse in memory

You really do just wake up and go "huh"

When you look at the drunk post I made at 3:2x this morning, my memory literally lapses between clauses
    So I go from praising Usagi for snack wisdom to Afrocentrism by way of Costco

It turns out short-term memory is necessary for basic function, or you turn into a coordinated stream of conscious instead of remaining as a functional person!

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I remember waking up after my wisdom teeth op and just going "oh shit did I fall asleep sorry about that" and then realising that I wasn't actually in the same room as before

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I think it matters how sudden the memory loss was. Like, I'm missing about a year's worth of memories, and it wasn't really like waking up from anesthesia. It was sort of a gradual realization that I have absolutely no memory of that period of time, because my short-term memory was working, but those memories didn't really get saved into long-term. And you don't (or at least, I didn't) notice you've forgotten until you realize that pretty much every time someone asks, "Hey, remember that time...?" the answer is no.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    I remember waking up after my wisdom teeth op and just going "oh shit did I fall asleep sorry about that" and then realising that I wasn't actually in the same room as before

Basically the same thing happened to me. My dad says I walked to the recovery room myself, which I have zero recollection of.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I used to have seizures that affected my memory. And I'd have to say that even though I'd wake up somewhere else and and sometimes not remember chunks of things afterward, there was a definite feeling of time having passed. Like they do in SpongeBob episodes.

...a few hours later...

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Weirdest thing about blacking out is not being black out but the part after you wake up that you don't remember. It's like you have to wake up twice.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

Oh

I was awake when they just pulled mine.

But I know what you mean, I've had my gal bladder out and most recently a scope put down my throat and it's super disorienting to wake up from anesthesia.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Weirdest thing about blacking out is not being black out but the part after you wake up that you don't remember. It's like you have to wake up twice.

When I was a dumb college kid and smoked weed all the time with my idiot friends

A dude we know was learning Brazilian Ju Jitsu. I asked him to put my in a choke hold because I was curious about what it felt like.

I remember getting it set up, and then fogginess until a little later when I was sitting on the couch.

Apparently I went under for like 3 seconds, then got right up and was determined to drive home right then. I wasn't aggressive, but I was insistent, assuring everyone I was ok and I really just had to get home because I had a spelling test tomorrow and I needed to study. They had to physically stop me from driving because they were smart enough to realize I wasn't all there.

I had no concept of this. They may as well have been making it up.

Apparently I gave up after they wouldn't stop being difficult and sat on the couch to watch cartoons and a few minutes later I came around.

#pipe on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    but did you pass your spelling test

• Options
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    nailed it.

I bet the first word was hypoxia.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    I imagine it would be like childhood memories, you don't remember everything that happened, but you have bits and pieces and a kind of sense of time in between.

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    God, my memory is horrible. I can barely remember names and numbers, and even took 4 months to remember my new cell phone number! @Melding can attest to how bad my short and long term memory is. I often am caught telling the same thing twice or completely forgetting conversations we have had, sometimes even ones we have had multiple times.

Strangely though, I have a perfect sense of direction with a photographic memory of how to get there. I will not remember the names of the streets or anything, but if told to go somewhere I have been even just once I can almost always get back to there no matter how far away it is or how long it has been since I went there. Even if I had only been there once as a child I can still find my way back. It's like the only part of my memory I can rely on. Outside of that I have a very hard time.

I am having all four out next month and am none too thrilled about it.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    quick!! someone give me a word that rhymes with vibe, imbibe, and inscribe

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    If you could describe what it's for, I could properly prescribe a solution.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    tribe?

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    tribe

broken image link