As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Halo Infinite/SplitGate] Halo Infinite available now! Closed Spoilers for story

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Halo's popularity is due, at least in part, to the days when kids would lug Xboxes and TV'S into the same basement and play Halo CE over LAN. There's nothing quite like sitting down in the same room and playing with friends. I play a lot of games online, but it is vastly different. Halo (or rather 343) has forgotten it's roots.

I am glad people are still jazzed about Halo 5 and all the bells and whistles. For me, though, it marks the end of an era. Not just for Halo, but console gaming. The appeal of consoles to me, is that couch gaming feel, of passing the controllers around and playing all night with good friends. The odd thing is, I still do that. But with fighting games instead of Halo.

Story-wise, Halo 5 looks way better than Halo 4. I want to like these games, I do. I buy Xbox systems stuff on the strength of games like Halo, of the 10+ year history I share with the console. They just make it really hard for me to want to drop $60 on this one, because it feels like they don't care about things important to me.

Oh, and Halo 4/MCC were massive dissapointments to me, so I won't be buying blindly this time. I will probably wait for a sale or some other deal.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Could you maybe refrain from calling people who like where the series is going mlg tryhards?

No I don't.
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    As someone in a circle of friends of which only a handful owned 360s and currently only one of us actually owns an Xbox One, Halo lived and died by the quality of its split-screen. The Master Chief Collection brought it back big-time with high-quality local play.
    I mean, Battlefront, a DICE game technically in a franchise which you wouldn't have ever thought would have such a feature on the table, is implementing a split-screen co-op mode. There's clearly a market for it or they wouldn't have bothered.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    Could you maybe refrain from calling people who like where the series is going mlg tryhards?

Sorry, it is not really wrong though. Like, prioritizing fidelity over community, using MLG tournaments at Gamescom to drum up excitement for the game, making gameplay changes clearly geared towards multiplayer over campaign... it's not wrong. Tryhard may sound harsh but, how many of your average Halo player really care about competitive Halo matches? And doesn't eschewing LAN actually hurt the tournament scene? It all feels like catering to a very specific crowd.

• Options

Sorry, it is not really wrong though. Like, prioritizing fidelity over community, using MLG tournaments at Gamescom to drum up excitement for the game, making gameplay changes clearly geared towards multiplayer over campaign... it's not wrong. Tryhard may sound harsh but, how many of your average Halo player really care about competitive Halo matches? And doesn't eschewing LAN actually hurt the tournament scene? It all feels like catering to a very specific crowd.

Clearly geared? Clear to who?

No I don't.
  • Options
    Ground pound, shoulder tackle, ADS, Parkour movement, and thruster packs. None of that really seems useful in campaign save for the aiming, otherwise on Legendary you are just begging to be killed.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Ground pound, shoulder tackle, ADS, Parkour movement, and thruster packs. None of that really seems useful in campaign save for the aiming, otherwise on Legendary you are just begging to be killed.

All of those things seem ridiculously useful and fun in campaign from what I've seen of the single player on the giant bomb quicklook.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

I don't play multi or follow the competitive Halo scene at all and I'm excited for all of that stuff...

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Like not for nothing, but maybe the Halo single player just isn't for you, and it has nothing to do with MLG and more to do with the series evolving in a direction you specifically don't like. I don't play multiplayer. I also don't play much coop. Why is my opinion as a Halo fan not considered valid to you?

Other Halo fans seem excited for this, and no true Scotsmaning those people is a shitty move. Might as well be saying everyone who likes Halo is a dudebro or something.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

I don't play multi or follow the competitive Halo scene at all and I'm excited for all of that stuff...

The only Halo-multi I play is co-op campaign with my brother (we used to play Firefight quite a bit in Reach, though)...who lives across the country from me. And honestly, a little Titanfall movement peanut-butter in my Halo chocolate has me all kinds of excited.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

So... split-screen and physically having multiple consoles connected to and playing the game on are the same thing? You seem to be using these interchangeably...

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    I guess agree to disagree? It all feels pretty specific to multi, but that's just my opinion. I mean yeah you can use those attacks in campaign, and then promptly die to another enemy right next to them.

I am not saying it's exclusively for multi, but it was likely made with that in mind. I am not saying you can't enjoy the campaign or game or whatever, I am just saying it feels like they are ditching things I like in favor of shit I could care less about. Like I said, I am happy you guys are excited for the game. I just don't feel the same way.

Like, don't get me wrong, the story looks pretty cool. It would just be a lot cooler if they let me play it with my friends how I want.

• Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    None of those movement improvements detract from the game though. From what i have seen of the halo campaign it is still undoubtedly Halo. I get people not liking 4 it is probably the weakest link, but it is still a Halo game and still definitely plays like one. Its also a pretty good out for a studio that had to live up to HALO.

As for MLG tournaments I see that as a good thing. It keeps a solid core of people who love the franchise invested in the MP. Not everyone plays competitive Halo but I'm glad to see that they are supporting the community.

It does stink that split-screen is gone, but now that I think about it I didn't use it that much. When I got a 360 because I could just go online, and play with friends with the click of a button. Did I enjoy the Lan parties and fun-times I had with friends? Most definitely, but if I'm realistic now that I'm older things like that happen rarely now. The only way I get to see a lot of those old friends is by playing a game online with them in coop, or enjoying a good team death match with them and neither of those things seem bad in this newest entry.

Who knows? Maybe it will be a let down, but id rather be open to the idea that the game might be good. if I'm really not sure ill just rent it or borrow it So i can form more solid conclusions about it.

Harbringer197 on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    They've definitely taken the new moves into account when building out the campaign. Even through the first few stages game journos have been allowed to show we've seen walls you can charge through and areas you need to climb up to using the climbing mechanic and I'm sure at some point they'll put something in utilizing sliding. And LAN's definitely something that all game consoles have ditched across the board to the point I'm not even sure if any of them support it anymore, it's not just Halo.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

All of those things seem ridiculously useful and fun in campaign from what I've seen of the single player on the giant bomb quicklook.

Not to mention the campaign isn't even out...

IDK, I guess split screen just feels like a bit of a relic for me. It was one thing when internet connections were more often spotty or insufficient, but at this point it seems mostly a bone for the people who want to have a buddy over and engage in some nostalgia. Which is totally cool, but I can see spending that money and man power on other things instead and I'm ok with that. YMMV of course.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

To be totally fair, existing seems to be grounds for that in Legendary for this series. I kinda like how the movement's changed because that's more how I expect to be moving around as a supersoldier in a set of power armor that's supposed to make you faster and tougher, but different strokes. I can see why people wouldn't like it too.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Unless they really changed up how thing scale on higher difficulties, CQC abilities are not going to be very useful on legendary campaign. Marksman weapons, plasma rifles, and plasma pistols are basically the only things that won't get you killed on that difficulty.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Good job Master Chief Collection and your broken ODST LASO playlist. As it turns out, the playlist can break where it not only doesn't reward the achievement, but it also resets some players to level 2 of the playlist.

Good, good job, there. Nope, not frustrated by that at all.

• Options
    StrikaStrika Registered User regular
    That's the biggest thing for me. Between Halo 4 and the MCC release debacle, I am waiting for confirmation that this game is also not broken...or just good in general. That being said, these videos of game play/twitch streams are building the hype for me. I enjoyed hearing former pro's takes on everything. 343 hired a few of them like Gho57ame

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Going deeper into Halo 4.

Yeah, this is a fun game (granted, I'm not the biggest Halo fan out there cause I was a PC FPS snob back in the day).

One thing I like is how the music isn't just 90 tracks of

BA DA DUM!
    BA DA DUM!

marching beat over and over.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Halo's popularity is due, at least in part, to the days when kids would lug Xboxes and TV'S into the same basement and play Halo CE over LAN. There's nothing quite like sitting down in the same room and playing with friends. I play a lot of games online, but it is vastly different. Halo (or rather 343) has forgotten it's roots.

I am glad people are still jazzed about Halo 5 and all the bells and whistles. For me, though, it marks the end of an era. Not just for Halo, but console gaming. The appeal of consoles to me, is that couch gaming feel, of passing the controllers around and playing all night with good friends. The odd thing is, I still do that. But with fighting games instead of Halo.

Story-wise, Halo 5 looks way better than Halo 4. I want to like these games, I do. I buy Xbox systems stuff on the strength of games like Halo, of the 10+ year history I share with the console. They just make it really hard for me to want to drop $60 on this one, because it feels like they don't care about things important to me.

Oh, and Halo 4/MCC were massive dissapointments to me, so I won't be buying blindly this time. I will probably wait for a sale or some other deal.

Not technically true.

One of the reasons Halo 2 was so huge was because it was one of the first console FPSes with easy to use online multiplayer while also being pretty dang fun.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    I wasn't so crazy about Halo 4 playing it when it came out, but playing all of them right together in the MCC really helped me appreciate it more; it stands taller when it's competing against the reality of what the first few games are like instead of your rose tinted memories of them.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I honestly can't play the first 2; they're just too slow and oldschool.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Not technically true.

One of the reasons Halo 2 was so huge was because it was one of the first console FPSes with easy to use online multiplayer while also being pretty dang fun.

Not sure which part you mean, but if not for Halo CE's LAN scene there wouldn't have been half as much hype for Halo 2. Yes, it revolutionized console online play, and was one of my favorite games. Doesn't mean people weren't also playing offline multi, though. I don't even know how a Halo 5 tournament will even work without LAN, especially at conventions and events where internet is spotty at best.

I have said my piece though, and understand most people don't care. It's not something I am kicking and screaming about. It just confuses me that games like Battlefront can have a splitscreen mode but somehow Halo can't. It confuses me LAN isn't a priority when they push so hard the line about "fostering community". It doesn't add up. In any case, I just hope Halo 5 is good despite these criticisms. I haven't really enjoyed a Halo game since Reach, which came out 5 years ago. I hope 343 has finally found some even footing.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Not technically true.

Not sure which part you mean, but if not for Halo CE's LAN scene there wouldn't have been half as much hype for Halo 2. Yes, it revolutionized console online play, and was one of my favorite games. Doesn't mean people weren't also playing offline multi, though. I don't even know how a Halo 5 tournament will even work without LAN, especially at conventions and events where internet is spotty at best.

I have said my piece though, and understand most people don't care. It's not something I am kicking and screaming about. It just confuses me that games like Battlefront can have a splitscreen mode but somehow Halo can't. It confuses me LAN isn't a priority when they push so hard the line about "fostering community". It doesn't add up. In any case, I just hope Halo 5 is good despite these criticisms. I haven't really enjoyed a Halo game since Reach, which came out 5 years ago. I hope 343 has finally found some even footing.

Battlefront has a split screen mode in a SINGLE mode as I understand it. It's not like you can play the whole game that way. It is also a DICE game, so it will probably come out and work like shit the first month or so. Also, LAN has little to nothing to do with community these days. Destiny built a community ENTIRELY on online play, Halo 5 plans to work the same way.

• Options
    Right but there's no MLG Destiny tourneys. Almost all major event gaming happens through local play, from Counterstrike to fightan gams. The community of Destiny is inherently unlike the community of Halo, especially in the competitive sense. Latency and network issues are the bane of any "pro" player. Same reason they use wired controllers; for reliability.

If a game like Battlefront can handle splitscreen at 60fps in even one mode, I am having a hard time seeing why Halo can't, even if it's campaign co-op and local multi only.

• Options
    dinoarusdinoarus Registered User regular
    At least in the beta, Battlefront had to drop to 30fps for splitscreen.

Steam/XBL: OGSTudbone
  • Options
    dinoarus wrote: »
    At least in the beta, Battlefront had to drop to 30fps for splitscreen.

This is a good solution I think. That way people who want the option can still play, while they still tout the "60 frames 1080p godlike" on the back of the box.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    The new thread title gave me a somewhat insensible chuckle.

Battlefront's co-op is designed specifically around scenario-based gameplay, to be fair, but Halo's co-op modes have historically done more for even less context than that. Certain games paired the Master Chief with the Arbiter (which did kinda work in a narrative context as well, which was good), but Halo 4 just had 2 Master Chiefs.
    Indeed, you would have thought if they'd cared enough about the split-screen co-op, Halo 5's entire campaign is essentially designed around a 4-player co-operative mode. It was a tentpole part of their E3 presentation(s). There's a perfect narrative justification for it, at the very least.
    As it stands, fully-fledged campaign co-op requires 4 copies of the game in 4 separate Xbox Ones (on an internet connection that isn't shit), so power to Microsoft's sales I guess. If people can be bothered.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    dinoarusdinoarus Registered User regular
    It depends on how the game is programmed. Certain games can't just drop to 30 fps for one mode and stay at 60 for others because things like weapon fire rate are tied to the frame rate. It might not be as easy as you're assuming.

Steam/XBL: OGSTudbone
  • Options
    dinoarus wrote: »
    It depends on how the game is programmed. Certain games can't just drop to 30 fps for one mode and stay at 60 for others because things like weapon fire rate are tied to the frame rate. It might not be as easy as you're assuming.

I don't assume it's a flip of the switch, but I don't think it would have been hard to design the game with these things in mind. They had to build a new engine for 5 and bragged about doing so. Like, do not get me wrong, the game will sell bucketloads without the options for splitscreen or LAN, which is why they ditched it. It just feels preposterous they can't do it. If anything, it is a limitation of the Xbone hardware rather than an imperfect engine.

• Options
    Most I've heard about splitscreen modes in games in the past is sometimes they just lower the actual visual quality of the game in order to keep performance the same (which I don't think is unreasonable given that split screen modes are showing the same assets at half or a quarter the size on the screen)

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Man I wish the MCC and all the newer Halo games would come to PC, since I don't own a console anymore nor will I buy another one. I miss playing Reach and ODST.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    StrikaStrika Registered User regular
    I've been watching summit and others stream, the multiplayer looks pretty sweet.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Man they really did screw up the mc collection. I can't play campaign games tonight, coop or single player, they just don't load.

• Options
    Fortunately MCC only crashed on me once. But I'm also in the new Xbox experience preview, so who knows what really caused that crash.

• Options
    Katsuhiro 1139Katsuhiro 1139 Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    I cannot wait for this game. I despise Destiny and everything it stands for. Rubbish story, terrible content and annual releases that effectively amount to a subscription charge. The lies they told. God I get angry just thinking about it.

Let this return Halo to its rightful place at the top of the FPS pile. Big Team Battle, War Zone, tea-bagging. I'm all in baby!

Jay - I look forward to carting you around in my Warthog; wort-wort-wort!

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Man I wish the MCC and all the newer Halo games would come to PC, since I don't own a console anymore nor will I buy another one. I miss playing Reach and ODST.

Frank O'Connor's said in a interview the other day that it's not out of the bounds of reason that Halo 5 could get a Windows release. "It wouldn't be the hardest thing in the world to move it to PC and to take advantage of PC stuff."

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I got the Halo 5 Xbox One console and was excited to check out the game, but I can't play it until next Tuesday.

Zelda: Triforce Heroes is out today, but the gold 3DS that comes with it doesn't come out until next Friday.

Weird.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    Good job Master Chief Collection and your broken ODST LASO playlist. As it turns out, the playlist can break where it not only doesn't reward the achievement, but it also resets some players to level 2 of the playlist.

Good, good job, there. Nope, not frustrated by that at all.

Arteen, you just need to pop that achievement via checkpoint sharing like nearly everybody else who's popped the LASO playlist achievements. :P

also... not sure if I preorderd Halo 5 digitally or not. :U

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”