As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Halo Infinite/SplitGate] Halo Infinite available now! Closed Spoilers for story

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Ok this is driving me crazy is the Upgrade screen bugged of something? I cannot highlight the sheild core upgrades at all. Just the hook

I fucking hate the menu navigation in this game as is but this is the worst part
    You unlock more upgrades through the campaign missions I believe. I've only gotten the shield one so far but you get a doodad that "installs" a new thing that you can then spend points on.

If you've already gotten the shield doodad then I dunno.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Ok this is driving me crazy is the Upgrade screen bugged of something? I cannot highlight the sheild core upgrades at all. Just the hook

I fucking hate the menu navigation in this game as is but this is the worst part
    You unlock more upgrades through the campaign missions I believe. I've only gotten the shield one so far but you get a doodad that "installs" a new thing that you can then spend points on.

I had the cutscene where he picked up the new sheild from the dead Spartan is it after that?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    The Wasp is handy for traversing the world to collect doodads, but in combat it leaves something to be desired. Elites and such can take as many missle strikes as a Banshee to kill. That said, I was elated to unlock the damn thing and it's the only vehicle other than the Gungoose that I've 'summoned'.

Hm, I found it takes 3-4 salvos at default difficulty to knock out a banshee.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    One thing that I forgot I loved was the enemy chatter in Halo. God damn it's SO good.

• Options
    Ok I figured it out. The so called accessibility option for menus is why everything was so weird.
    Turned it off and everything works fine

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Surfpossum wrote: »

I had the cutscene where he picked up the...

That's when it should be available I think.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    Yeah, if you have cores you can then highlight and unlock the shield / thruster / tracker bits, but you have to do each in order. You can't unlock the fourth one first.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    One thing that I forgot I loved was the enemy chatter in Halo. God damn it's SO good.

I love that there's a skull that gives you rarer chatter I haven't turned that on but I wonder what they say.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    The Wasp is handy for traversing the world to collect doodads, but in combat it leaves something to be desired. Elites and such can take as many missle strikes as a Banshee to kill. That said, I was elated to unlock the damn thing and it's the only vehicle other than the Gungoose that I've 'summoned'.

Hm, I found it takes 3-4 salvos at default difficulty to knock out a banshee.

If I lock on, and both rockets hit, I've found two will knock a banshee out. If not a burst of the cannon will finish it. Both rockets need to hit though, and Banshees can dodge locked on rockets if shot from too far away. You need to get in pretty close.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Banshees are faster to move around the map with in my opinion. The hornets hover is nice for when you are looking for something, but eh not that nice!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    This is my first Halo game since playing the PC port of Halo 1 back when it launched, and so far I'm liking most of what I'm playing. The combat is good and snappy, with interesting wrinkles with the weapons and enemy types, and the grappling hook makes getting around the world a breeze.

But the one thing I'm hating is the boss fights. I'm playing Heroic and just beat the
    two brute "spartan killers" at the downed pelican campaign mission
    and it was just a pain in the ass. Have Halo bosses always been so spongy? I feel like every boss fight just completely wrecks the fine balance the rest of the game has with weapons, weaknesses, and enemy types. You can only carry two weapons, with pretty limited ammo, and it just seems to me like you have to dump all your ammo and most of your grenades, and usually a few plasma cores into each of these guys (while usually dealing with waves of regular enemies as well). Added frustration is the game autosaving before each fight with whatever weapons (and ammo) you happen to have on hand. Great, now you're stuck in a room with a boss and you have 25 assault rifle bullets and a disruptor. Time to spend the first chunk of each load scrambling for a weapon rack. That has needlers in it. Awesome!

Then if you DO spend the time to prepare, they often have so much health and shields that it doesnt ammount to much anyways. I get the jump on a boss with 6 rockets, and he's still alive and I need to go scavenge while he regenerates his shields.
    So far the easiest bosses out in the world are ones on vehicles, because they seem to auto-die if the vehicle explodes with them riding it.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Yes, bosses tend to be spongy. Though I will say Infinite bosses are a bit different than past iterations of Halo.

You're meant to sort of feel like you're in a desperate fight all the time, that's the feel of combat Halo is trying to portray. You're always low on ammo, out numbered, having to scavenge weapons and items, many times mid fight. That's really the combat ambiance Halo is pushing and that's been a constant throughout the series. To the point where people have complained that ammo is too plentiful in Infinite, not forcing you to improvise as much as previous Halos.

You're meant to be a bad ass super soldier...but it's still just you against entire armies. If you feel like your scrambling in a fight in Halo that's because it's designed to make you feel that way.

e: One tip I will add though, bosses are just as susceptible to grapple super man punching as anything else is. Keeping pressure on a de-shielded boss with super man punches hasn't really failed me yet.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Honestly those two are probably the hardest "bosses" in the game. But for that particular fight there is a ghost nearby you can "borrow" to fight.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    Unlocking the Wasp, much like unlocking an attack helicopter in Far Cry, makes the whole collection portion pretty trivial.

But still fun, while it lasts

• Options
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Unlocking the Wasp, much like unlocking an attack helicopter in Far Cry, makes the whole collection portion pretty trivial.

But still fun, while it lasts

I'd say there is still stuff that's hard to find like the audio logs or even the grunt radio if you aren't inclined to grid search the map listening for audio queues. But like by the time you get access to the wasp you'd have been pushing valor anyway so its a reward to unlock the rest.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The pinging of audio logs is hellish just show them on the radar please

• Options
    The pinging of audio logs is hellish just show them on the radar please

What's annoying is some of them are literally just not visually intuitive they are there, so its easy to miss. I've written off all the audio logs especially since I missed some in the missions.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yeah, the audio logs are a nice bonus to find, and some nice flavor, but I'm not wasting a ton of energy on them. I would like to find all the skulls and mjolnir caches, but I'll just grab a map online once I finish the campaign.

• Options
    One tip for people not using a guide or a map or whatever, Human logs around like mission objectives tend to be outside of the mission area, where as banished are inside. That helped me when I'd always have the banished logs but not the fucking human ones because they were on a hill overlooking some shit.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOzF1A0EJFM

Ok I never heard this one, but its f'ing hilarious. Big ups to the audio team for going more jokey. It kind of reminded me of the good humor in Borderlands.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    One tip for people not using a guide or a map or whatever, Human logs around like mission objectives tend to be outside of the mission area, where as banished are inside. That helped me when I'd always have the banished logs but not the fucking human ones because they were on a hill overlooking some shit.

You can also "follow the lighting engine". I've yet to find a human audio log that wasn't near a green light, or at the end of a path that started near a green light.

• Options
    Banished Audio logs are easy to find; did you just run through a long cave get to the end and take a one way lift up? Look down as you enter the lift, see the audio log on the opposite of the lift as you zoom away from it? Now run back to the start of the cave and this time gingerly step around the one way gravit...FUCK NOT AGAIN!

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Yeah, the audio logs are a nice bonus to find, and some nice flavor, but I'm not wasting a ton of energy on them. I would like to find all the skulls and mjolnir caches, but I'll just grab a map online once I finish the campaign.

3 skulls are area specific and can be missed including arguably the best one so make sure to check a guide

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Played a short bit before I had to jump into a meeting and that grappling hook is hilarious and feels really good. I keep giggling every time I yeet myself at a grunt and Falcon Punch it right in the face.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I’m having more fun with the multiplayer than I was, I think it’s just easy to get frustrated when the SBMM gets uneven for a while, but so MP games go.

Legendary difficulty seems like a good balance of challenging but not Halo 2 cheap so far, but I’m dreading those late game bosses.

Darlan on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Credits rolling on the campaign and I feel like this is the most I’ve enjoyed a Halo campaign since CE. I was cautiously optimistic about the open world choice, and they really made it work while keeping a definite Halo feel to the whole thing. With all their development struggles I’m glad they came out of the other side with a game this good, because the alternative would be heartbreaking to me if I spent so long working on a single project.

I can’t wait to see the sequel to this one. A properly next-gen follow up with the core ideas from this one, seamless transitions and no loading, and on new biomes. It will be killer.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Some of these weapons seem kinda eh even in singleplayer. The Needler just seems like a rapidfire nerf gun with an amusing side effect if you shoot enough foam sucker darts at something and the Disruptor is kinda lulzy vs stuff like Grunts but quickly loses steam against bigger stuff. Does that about track with other people's experiences or am I missing something?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Elki wrote: »
    Credits rolling on the campaign and I feel like this is the most I’ve enjoyed a Halo campaign since CE. I was cautiously optimistic about the open world choice, and they really made it work while keeping a definite Halo feel to the whole thing. With all their development struggles I’m glad they came out of the other side with a game this good, because the alternative would be heartbreaking to me if I spent so long working on a single project.

I can’t wait to see the sequel to this one. A properly next-gen follow up with the core ideas from this one, seamless transitions and no loading, and on new biomes. It will be killer.

100% I'm really excited for where they go with this.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Completed my Legendary campaign

Endgame Spoilers
    The game seems like one giant retcon in a way, at the start Infinity and Atriox are killed off and in the end all the other baddies are gone and you got a new AI. Game was like a palette cleanser for Halo lore and now they can start almost fresh.

Are there any other Spartans left or it's like a Reach scenario but for real.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Just finished the campaign. I think it's my favorite in the series. Just an overwhelming amount of badass moments of compelling gameplay. Once I had the muscle memory to swap equipment mid-fight the game really shined. Vehicles in the open world were fantastic. From wrecking entire groups with the Ghost, to packing up Marines with power weapons and driving around letting them destroy stuff, to everything great about the Wasp it never got old. All the weapons felt useful and powerful when used properly. Enemies were fun to fight and had hilarious banter. Even the story was solid.

Gonna jump straight back into it on Legendary

• Options

You think they will do a sequel or just add on to the existing map?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It'd be cool to see some campaign DLC (or maybe a ODST style side story in the same engine) but I really think the move is get to work on Halo 7 (Jesus Christ) and make it the BotW inspired game it can grow into

I'm really looking forward to campaign, have they said when co-op is coming yet?

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    ObiFett wrote: »

You think they will do a sequel or just add on to the existing map?

I was thinking about that as I wrote it. I would be satisfied with a DLC that’s just a new zone if that’s what we get. But the problem with DLC is that player cap is limited to owners of the existing game so the budget is necessarily limited, and they’d have to work within the limitations of XB1. So I’d prefer Series console only Infinite 2.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

3 skulls are area specific and can be missed including arguably the best one so make sure to check a guide

I saw already. I'll start a new game on easy to grab them. The only annoying one is mid game, but I won't miss the late game one.

• Options
    Finished it this weekend, cleaned up the map with a Wasp tonight. Best entry since 3 / ODST easily; open world but didn't kill you like Far Cry does with a map full of tick boxes - they got the number of elements to do just right I'd say and the game doesn't outstay its welcome. It plays utterly fantastic on the PC, on the Series X I was seeing some pop in, some rendering issues but just the same I'm very much looking forward to them cleaning up some, getting co op in there, adding more content.

Multiplayer cosmetics unlocks in the campaign did feel pretty weak to the point that often I wasn't even sure what I'd gotten because I'd go to customize my Spartan in the main menu - and nothing was really added. It would have been good to throw in some armor pieces or some paint jobs or tie them to achievements.

Not all of the new weapons work well for me, but some worked very well after a little playing around.

Enemies didn't feel like utter bullet sponges; boss fights were workable but that last one did have some "What just killed me?" moments. Other boss fights it was plainly clear what I needed to do, why I died and how I needed to execute better.

Grappling hook is without a doubt the best addition, the ability to rapidly traverse the map with it just worked so well.

I'm sure not reading or following media outside of the games torpedo'd my understanding of the transition from 5 to 6, but at the same time the Chief's voice actor and Cortana 2.0 had some really good moments. The pilot had started to wear out his welcome then pivoted to being a better, more likeable character.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Some of these weapons seem kinda eh even in singleplayer. The Needler just seems like a rapidfire nerf gun with an amusing side effect if you shoot enough foam sucker darts at something and the Disruptor is kinda lulzy vs stuff like Grunts but quickly loses steam against bigger stuff. Does that about track with other people's experiences or am I missing something?

Needler is good for two brute kills per magazine on Heroic; hit a target with enough needles and they explode. Not an ideal weapon to have but ammo is plentiful and the homing makes it fun to use on the run.

Disruptor is ass in the campaign but it temporarily disables vehicles at like, a half dozen shots for an easy kill.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Man, I'm playing on Heroic and I'm actually surprised with the encounters. The AI is pretty fun to fight and getting surprised domed by a charged plasma shot from a Grunt had me all !?!?!? It's not unfair tho, the enemy isn't spongy it's just hyper aggressive which is rad.

The combat flow is damn great too. The grapple hook and snappier movement compared to prior games really opens things up and provides for nonstop shenanigans and hilarity. Running in, force pulling an explosive container to me, yeeting it at a mob, then flying grapple kicking someone in the face, gunning down his buddy, and on and on and on is just such a fantastic gameplay loop. I'm actually venturing out into the world to go check out the little to do points just to see what wacky combat arenas they've got cooked up for me.

I think my only complaint so far is that between theme parks there's just empty, open terrain and that's kinda lame. I don't play Forza because between races I just don't give a shit about the world and I'm concerned the same feeling is gonna happen here. If they're not gonna populate the world with random fun stuff to encounter then some sort of always there wacky travel mode would be good. Idk, mebbe give the Chief Heavy Gear style rollerskates or some shit.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    thoughts can be summed up as "oh huh they actually made the game that was in those old Macworld videos"

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options

Needler is good for two brute kills per magazine on Heroic; hit a target with enough needles and they explode. Not an ideal weapon to have but ammo is plentiful and the homing makes it fun to use on the run.

Disruptor is ass in the campaign but it temporarily disables vehicles at like, a half dozen shots for an easy kill.

Needler became my go to weapon against Hunters. Shoot it through a fully upgraded dropwall and it tears them up

• Options

I have never and will never like the needler.
    Disruptor is meh as well.

The old machine gun has served me surprisingly well though