As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games Done Quick: See You Next Mission

• Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    Also, for the past...what, 2 years? "Save the animals" won.

!
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Kill won for the 2p1c run this week didn't it?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    The Blast Corps run late night/early morning was a lot of fun because not only is that a really interesting game in a lot of ways, being a very early 3D game and having it's own physics and a unique gameplay style among other things, they also had Martin Wakeley on for developer commentary and he had a lot of interesting stories and insight about the game and developing games for Rare at the time,

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    God it is nuts how much watching footage of Diablo 2 makes me want to play it again. Everything flooding back.

I was briefly watching the end of the run where he was basically teleporting around and it seemingly did nothing. I mean, obviously he completed the goal, but it was kind of boring to watch, too. This block of games feels like the worst because it's all big games designed to be LONG, but broken down to mere hours by abusing save states or bugs or tool-assists. Even the Final Fantasy 1(japan version) was boring even though it was short because it was stairs forever. Like, cool that you "speedrun" the game, but it's not exactly the most exciting thing to see. Pokemon for 2 and a half hours was dull.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular

I was briefly watching the end of the run where he was basically teleporting around and it seemingly did nothing. I mean, obviously he completed the goal, but it was kind of boring to watch, too. This block of games feels like the worst because it's all big games designed to be LONG, but broken down to mere hours by abusing save states or bugs or tool-assists. Even the Final Fantasy 1(japan version) was boring even though it was short because it was stairs forever. Like, cool that you "speedrun" the game, but it's not exactly the most exciting thing to see. Pokemon for 2 and a half hours was dull.

It was even more boring because it didn't even work. 12 minutes of stairs with zero payoff.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

It was even more boring because it didn't even work. 12 minutes of stairs with zero payoff.

Gym in a nutshell.

• Options
    dis megamans race doe

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Watching this guy in the fox costume hold a conversation with someone is surreal.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    dis mario bros race doe

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    RE: Kill or Save the animals bid war...

It should be noted that the bidding war for Kill/Save the animals raises an insane amount of money during these things. This year it's over 115k already. (65k to 50k for letting them die at the moment)

If I'm reading the tracker correctly, the next highest single category is 26k in a bid war for the Bloodborne character name.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Schide wrote: »
    The Blast Corps run late night/early morning was a lot of fun because not only is that a really interesting game in a lot of ways, being a very early 3D game and having it's own physics and a unique gameplay style among other things, they also had Martin Wakeley on for developer commentary and he had a lot of interesting stories and insight about the game and developing games for Rare at the time,

The best part I took away from that great run is that Martin and his tiny of team fellow developers at Rare pretty much did whatever they thought was cool without much external oversight. I can just picture how weird it must've been for that group of young guys dealing with tech that they all barely knew

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Schide wrote: »

The best part I took away from that great run is that Martin and his tiny team fellow developers ar Rare at that time pretty much did whatever they thought was cool while drinking tea and chucked it in the game. I can just picture how weird it must've been for that group of young guys dealing with tech that they all barely knew

I always love watching runs where they have the developer on hand (either actually there or through Skype or something). Not just for the development stories, but for those shining moments where the developer is trying to coach the player around a tricky bit, only to watch the player completely bypass the tricky bit by a bit of clipping or going out of bounds or something.

• Options
    And just like that, Ocarina of Time reinforces the Nintendo 64's position of having some of the most breakable games ever programmed.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Well sure, after you spend four or five years smashing yourself into every wall. Most games will fall apart with enough pathological inputs thrown at them.

The runner's right arm and the pants of the guy sitting behind him keep syncing up and weirding me out.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    The runner's right arm and the pants of the guy sitting behind him keep syncing up and weirding me out.
    Well, crap. Gonna have to add that to the list of things I can't unsee.

Looks like he's playing the game with one hand in his jacket pocket...

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Considering this ends late tomorrow/early Sunday, it's sad to see that they're still less than halfway to meeting last years number (currently below $700k, last year they raised $1.5m+).

I hope there's a mad dash at the end.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    It doesn't help there's no humble bundle this year.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    While I'm enjoying some of it this year, I think some of the RPGs need to go. Diablo 2 while impressive wasn't very fun to watch. Same with the JRPGs. I can watch someone speedrun Mirrors Edge all day. I'm pretty much bored by the end of one map for any kart racer. Same goes for any 3d Zelda title.

Battleblock has been consistently awesome, but again I think last year was better.

• Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Considering this ends late tomorrow/early Sunday, it's sad to see that they're still less than halfway to meeting last years number (currently below $700k, last year they raised $1.5m+).

I hope there's a mad dash at the end.

There typically is. Save / Kill The Animals gets fierce when it's the last thing to donate for, and there's people like me (at least one of them) who space their donations out to hit as many raffles as possible, then drop the rest of their donation budget once there aren't any left.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Diablo 2 was a pretty weak watch, and also agreed with most of the jRPGs. I love me Final Fantasy 4 something fierce, but I'll be damned if I'm going to care about watching someone speedrun it in under 2 hours. The Pokemon Blue glitch showcase was seizure-inducing and I feel like Pokemon and most of the Nintendo games have run their course. It's the same speedrun every year, with a slightly different glitch method (especially Pokemon).

Keep the Metroid race, and in fact, try to get more races, or more interesting sets like the Punch-Out games blindfolded. Those are interesting to watch. Legit skill-based games like Tetris and Stepmania are bonkers and inspiring. Much better than the upcoming 5+ hours of Majora's Mask that no one except Euros will be watching due to the time.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I actually liked the pokemon yellow run since it's the first one at GDQ in ages that hasn't been crazypants glitched. most rpgs are dreadful boring but that had good commentary and wasn't too long.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Man, I love me some D1 and D2 speedruns, you guys be crazy.

• Options
    Diablo 2 was a pretty weak watch, and also agreed with most of the jRPGs. I love me Final Fantasy 4 something fierce, but I'll be damned if I'm going to care about watching someone speedrun it in under 2 hours. The Pokemon Blue glitch showcase was seizure-inducing and I feel like Pokemon and most of the Nintendo games have run their course. It's the same speedrun every year, with a slightly different glitch method (especially Pokemon).

Keep the Metroid race, and in fact, try to get more races, or more interesting sets like the Punch-Out games blindfolded. Those are interesting to watch. Legit skill-based games like Tetris and Stepmania are bonkers and inspiring. Much better than the upcoming 5+ hours of Majora's Mask that no one except Euros will be watching due to the time.

Yeah, a run that starts at 5 in the morning on a Saturday is really popular in Europe.

Also, there's a reason the game lineup is the way it is. Sure, some games are there pretty much every year, but that's because they're still super popular, they're iconic games that most people are familiar with and loads of people are still actively speedrunning them.
    As for some of the lengthy runs - different people like different things. Personally I found the Secret of Mana and Pokemon Yellow runs really interesting. Also, long runs like those give the staff on site a bit of a break. If the marathon only consisted of 15 to 30 minute runs, it would be a huge burden on the tech and volunteer staff.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Diablo II run was boring to me for two reasons:

Lots of resetting (I know that's Diablo's thing, but it's just not fun to watch someone play new variants of the first few levels to get a particular drop).

It hasn't aged well visually speaking. It's just an ugly, dreary game. Brighter games with simpler sprites (Mario, Metroid, TMNT, Battletoads, etc.) are all far more pleasant to watch.

• Options
    @Bobkins Flymo

Guess who won the Mario Kart 8 character selection bid

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Waluigi is the winner! (for the Mario Mart 8 donation incentive to pick the driver). "Some of us really want Waluigi". said the runner, in response to it soundly trouncing the next highest total which was for Peach.

Edit: I was free this whole week, but I still have so much to catch up on VODs due to the need for sleep. I woke up to the end of Plague of Shadows today :sad:

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Finally, my life savings went to a noble cause.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Why is she not dragging her items behind her for protection?

Also, UH

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Apparently you can hit yourself with items that are behind you.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Apparently you can hit yourself with items that are behind you.

Never happened to me, and I played a ton of MK8.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I haven't played it myself, she just mentioned it briefly during the run earlier so I'm just parroting that.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    If you get hit by lightning your dragged items can land in front of or on top of you, making you spin out again, if you are going fast enough.

• Options
    That sounds like something that's just stupid enough to happen in this game.

But at the same time, the idea of not reflexively holding your item behind you goes against everything that was hard-coded into me from Mario Kart 64.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    she said at 200cc specifically, if you get hit by lightning, the item carried behind you can hit you

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    ConnConn Registered User regular
    My own green shells have hit me many times because of that. Hasn't happened with banana peels, though. Smaller hitbox, maybe?

XBL, PSN, and NNID: "ConnConnor" for all three.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Those Waluigi impressions.

Waluigi the winner!

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Also, if you get hit by a Blue Shell, your item gets vaporized in the explosion if it's being held out. Keeping it in your inventory lets you deploy it as a defense against whatever second place (who will be much closer to you after the blue shell hits) has to throw at you.

• Options
    Holy shit

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Conn wrote: »
    My own green shells have hit me many times because of that. Hasn't happened with banana peels, though. Smaller hitbox, maybe?

I've had it happen with bananas, but mostly only if the track is at an awkward angle or they rebound of a fence, or something, not on a flat that I can recall.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    jebus these donations

Yh6tI4T.jpg
This discussion has been closed.