Options

Games Done Quick: See You Next Mission

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Love this block. All of these Mario runs are amazing.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    AGDQ Mario Maker block levels.

Stage 1: Too Fast For Mr. Angry Wall.
    b5b0-0000-0178-feb2

Stage 2: AGDQ Beetlemania
    f3f2-0000-0179-0191

Stage 3: To be published later for some reason.

Stage 4: AGDQ Swift Kickin' The Walls
    a94f-0000-0179-0D81

Stage 5: AGDQ The Kleptastrophe
    2122-0000-0178-fd59

Stage 6: AGDQ Killbox
    d658-0000-0178-f8d2

Stage 7: AGDQ It Came From Above!
    3806-0000-0179-0232

Stage 8: AGDQ: Kill or Save the Animals?
    3b6a-0000-0179-0126

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Stage 5: AGDQ The Kleptastrophe
    2122-0000-0178-fd59

HI TOBY

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I think the wall jump level may have been a little too hard - that basically decided the race on its own.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    I think the wall jump level may have been a little too hard - that basically decided the race on its own.

On the other hand that level was so good Ain't Easy Bein Cheesy went back for more after spending so much time on it! misclick but still

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I am so bummed I missed the mario maker stuff. It's like the #1 thing I wanted to see.

bahhhhhh

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Knight_ wrote: »
    I am so bummed I missed the mario maker stuff. It's like the #1 thing I wanted to see.

bahhhhhh

Everything is being put up on Youtube so you can catch it later.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I enjoy watching these live, or even just having them on in the background, but hitting up the Twitch/Youtube archives after the fact is just fine as well. They generate way more material than we can keep up with in the week itself.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I had convinced myself somehow that I didn't need to get this game, having already waited so long, but what the fuck I am ordering it right now

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    bummed they cut them off on the race before they even got to estimate.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    As someone who understands some assembly and how older games on NES and SNES work, the credits warp glitch is mindblowing in how it works. I don't get all of this but I got the gist of it and it's so great. Arbitrary cooooooode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAHXK2wut_I

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2016
    There is something weirdly better about watching these live as opposed to recordings. I don't know why, but I always have a list of runs I missed that I plan on watching, and only get through like half of it at most.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I went back and watched Splatoon and it felt as good as live to me, but it was a particularly great show starter. The runner was very charismatic and AFAIK did most/all his own commentary, didn't ruin his concentration, which is a rare combination. Some incredible tricks shown off there.

I prefer to watch live though, and so do my friends.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    It's the excitement of seeing it as it's happening and not knowing how it's going to go.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    There is something weirdly better about watching these live as opposed to recordings. I don't know why, but I always have a list of runs I missed that I plan on watching, and only get through like half of it at most.

Watching it and able to talk about it with others as it happens is a big part, I think.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    It is just me, or does the Super Monkey Ball runs always feel kind of low key, despite how hype and insane what they are doing is?

Having never played the games and only watched them during GDQs, I find that I can only watch about 10 minutes of it before getting bored because it's so monotonous. The runners are so good there's no time to appreciate the level design. It's just rapid fire stage completions that all look/feel similar, with no wow factor like the SMW assembly code fuckery (seriously, holy shit) or people sliding through walls or falling through floors or otherwise breaking the game.

That's not to say that there isn't incredible skill involved, it just doesn't translate well to streaming IMO.

---

Who is the little person (is that the correct term?) who did some of the interviews and commentary during Blaster Master? He was a far better interviewer than the previous guy I saw and was really informative during the game. I'd like to follow him on Twitch if he has a stream.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
  • Options
    I've gotten so little work done while this is going on, but I don't care. It's great.

Some of the runs this year have been super memorable and awesome to watch live. On top of all that, the donations coming in are amazing. It's all great.

I am gonna try and go to SGDQ to help volunteer and maybe bring some catering or something. Would love to hang out with geeks and play video games for a week.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Man, Super Monkey Ball runs are the first things I ever watch with these.

• Options
    This Age of Empires run is a dumpster fire. Just terrible and boring.

• Options
    UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Totally agreed. almost put me to sleep

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    UseR2006 wrote: »

Totally agreed. almost put me to sleep

I felt bad for the guy. It was pretty clear that he was embarrassed, but the marathon runners just let him twist in the wind.

I think it should be mandatory that each runner/group of runners have a support couch. I know this was early in the morning, but there was 0 energy, and he really could've used someone on his side to liven things up.

On the flip side, he kept saying it was a mistake to run that map... why not switch to an easier map, then? Or, if you have a feeling it won't be good for a marathon, go with something safe/more entertaining? The point is entertainment. You're playing for a crowd. If it's your own stream, fine, keep hammering away at whatever, but a community stream whose purpose is to raise money for charity? Put on a show.

Ultimately, I think that RTS games are a lot more fun to watch if they're PvP matchups. Playing against the AI, where there's no obvious game breaking tricks or glitches, is boring to watch, IMO. There's no human randomness or personality to interact with.

Really, I could see a 4 person StarCraft tournament working. Two 1v1 matches, then loser v loser, winner v winner, then winner bracket v loser bracket. Do what ever it takes (custom maps?) to keep the flow going.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    I'm confident in my ability to speedrun a 1v1 in practically any rts

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I generally enjoy watching the times they've run Starcraft 2, but that's always with a support couch as a highlight block, not a 'middle of the night good luck with that' run.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    That Richter SOTN run was amusing, but man were those sound effects awful.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    y dey has animu in mah punchouts

• Options
    Shoryuken?

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    they're doing a blindfolded Punch-out race.
    my mind is all over the ceiling now.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    That blindfold Punch-Out! race was amazing.

So, there's no F-Zero block this year? That's disappointing.

• Options
    The Mirror's Edge run was pretty awesome. I'm cautiously excited for Catalyst.

• Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Me five minutes ago: Oh Stepmania on a keyboard... that probably won't be very impressive....
    Me now: HOLY CRAP MY BRAIN IS MELTING

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Was excited to see that, load up the stream and it's fucking Stepmania. Alt+F4

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Me five minutes ago: Oh Stepmania on a keyboard... that probably won't be very impressive....
    Me now: HOLY CRAP MY BRAIN IS MELTING
    I need to go lay down now. And just. Not. Whatever just happened to my eyes. I need to not.

Ow.

• Options
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Was excited to see that, load up the stream and it's fucking Stepmania. Alt+F4

You missed a pretty impressive showcase.

That Megaman X race was solid. Only a 18 second difference at the end, and neck-and-neck for most of it.

• Options
    What they did with Stepmania was nutso and brought in a lot of attention and donations.

Maybe not traditional speedrunning, it was awesome.

• Options
    God it is nuts how much watching footage of Diablo 2 makes me want to play it again. Everything flooding back.

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    I watched the Turtles in Time one this morning. That was incredible.

Quick question though, why does the host keep referring to the murder of animals? I'm guessing some sort of inside joke but if someone could fill be in that'd be great.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »

Quick question though, why does the host keep referring to the murder of animals? I'm guessing some sort of inside joke but if someone could fill be in that'd be great.

Donation incentives, there is always a big run of Super Metroid. At the very end of super metroid you can either make your escape, or take a few seconds to save a room full of animals and then head out. So its basically do you want to stop and save digital animals or go balls to the walls saving time for those few seconds and make your escape.

People who donate get to designate their donations to go towards specific incentives, like extra bonus games, extra modifiers on specific runs, or the big keystone one of save or kill the animals.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options

At the end of Super Metroid, the planet is about to explode and time is ticking down. There is one room near the exit where some friendly animals are. You can take a detour on your way out to rescue them, and as the planet explodes you can see them escaping.

It takes a little extra time so it's nothing that is ever done on speed runs, but they allow people to donate toward forcing the runner to save them, or let them die for the sake of speed.

• Options

At the end of Super Metroid, the planet is about to explode and time is ticking down. There is one room near the exit where some friendly animals are. You can take a detour on your way out to rescue them, and as the planet explodes you can see them escaping.

It takes a little extra time so it's nothing that is ever done on speed runs, but they allow people to donate toward forcing the runner to save them, or let them die for the sake of speed.

Which is why you also hear "Save the frames" - save your precious seconds.

This discussion has been closed.