Options

[The Expanse] You know a lot about how people die.

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    VoodooV wrote: »

Tons more nudity with HBO too. ;)

I'm the last guy to argue against more nudity (or even just generally less content restrictions), but The Expanse books are hardly rife with sex or nude scenes. There's one major relationship that remains relatively intact through the books. Miller's into someone, but that is pretty much doomed from the start. Crew members visit hookers, but those are off-camera. I also guess that people are always trying to get into Bobbie's pantspower armor, but nobody has the guts.

Abaddon's Gate (Book 3) MAJOR SPOILER
    I honestly thought that Naomi had hooked up with Sam while she was broken up with Holden, but her complete meltdown over Sam's death was explained later. R.I.P. Sam :(

It's the swearing that is lacking here. Maybe they'll get around that with some sort of Belter creole, like they did with Chinese in Firefly.

They could actually work that in fairly well with Avasarala and Hindi cursing, though that depends on her actual line of descent. They don't make it precisely clear in the novels, but there's a good chance of it.

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Just watched the first four episodes.

Whew it's a good show. I'm invested, and I'm glad to see good Sci Fi on television again.

I'm excited.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Boy, uh, things sure happen in Nemesis Games!

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Serious Book 1/TV spoilers:
    Queue Avasarala foreshadowing some of those things in early episodes this season...

I actually bet part of why they introduced her earlier was to show Earth's panic with respect to the prospect of asteroid bombardment when Eros starts to haul ass toward Earth. While it's common in hard scifi, asteroid bombardment doesn't immediately come to mind as a military tactic for the vast majority of TV and film viewers.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Emissary42 wrote: »

Queue Avasarala foreshadowing some of those things in early episodes this season...

I actually bet part of why they introduced her earlier was to show Earth's panic with respect to the prospect of asteroid bombardment when Eros starts to haul ass toward Earth. While it's common in hard scifi, asteroid bombardment doesn't immediately come to mind as a military tactic for the vast majority of TV and film viewers.

Has anyone actually said
    "dropping rocks"
    on the show yet? I don't think so... I know the term was introduced in Leviathan Wakes though.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Emissary42 wrote: »

Has anyone actually said
    "dropping rocks"
    on the show yet? I don't think so... I know the term was introduced in Leviathan Wakes though.
    I know they mentioned mars stealth tech so far which is way way early. I sorta want to say the rock dropping came up but am really fuzzy on it. I know in the books that threat came up much earlier than I remembered since it didn't seem more than background at the time.

I do think they brought it up because people tend to underestimate just how much damage a rock thrown from space would actually do. Hell, that was part of the plot about the Free Navy not really understanding what they just did.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    It was in the scene where:
    Avasarala is on the roof with her grandson.

• Options
    Watching through the first five episodes again, are the ships designed vertically?

If so, yes. I'm really liking the set/ship designs and how travel is depicted.

• Options
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Watching through the first five episodes again, are the ships designed vertically?

Yea, the direction of thrust is "Down" for all of the ones we've seen so far.

• Options

Awesome. I'm glad to see that. There aren't enough sci fi shows/movies with vertical deck plans.

• Options

Awesome. I'm glad to see that. There aren't enough sci fi shows/movies with vertical deck plans.

The entire basis of the ship tech in The Expanse is that they can basically produce unlimited thrust; humans just turn into a fine paste if subjected to too many Gs, so their ships are ergonomically designed to travel at a comfortable 1G, allowing the crew and passengers to walk on the "floor." They also, however, are designed to work at zero G, and there are drugs and systems that allow them to go up to around 10G without killing people on-board, as long as they're in their crash couches.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    The Donnager design was inspired by a skyscraper somewhere.

• Options

The entire basis of the ship tech in The Expanse is that they can basically produce unlimited thrust; humans just turn into a fine paste if subjected to too many Gs, so their ships are ergonomically designed to travel at a comfortable 1G, allowing the crew and passengers to walk on the "floor." They also, however, are designed to work at zero G, and there are drugs and systems that allow them to go up to around 10G without killing people on-board, as long as they're in their crash couches.

That's kind of what I gathered from the show so far w/r/t using drugs to get around acceleration killing everyone. It's a cool concept.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    The Donnager design was inspired by a skyscraper somewhere.

They do note in the books that large military spacecraft are all typically reminiscent of skyscrapers sitting on top of engines. It'll be interesting to see what they did with the appearance of the UN ships.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I can't quite pinpoint Lane Pryce's accent.

like dang accents alone are making me want to read the books to make it make sense.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    The mark of a good show is that each episode is not enough. I feel unfulfilled each time the credits roll. Not due to a lack of entertainment, but because I want more. I would gorge myself on The Expanse if I could. I honestly feel this is the best sci-fi show I've ever watched, and that is not a statement I make lightly.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    I don't like any of Avasarala's scenes so far

the "your son is on parole soon, isn't he?" scene just felt so dumb and cliched

e6 felt a bit weak overall

e3 and e4 have been the high points for me

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Even after re-watching it multiple times, episode 4/"CQB" is one of the best pieces of sci-fi I've seen in years.

Utterly enthralling. Avasarala's voice. :heartbeat:

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Dammit they're making me pay to watch their media!

• Options
    Oh jesus fucking christ that's horrifying

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Oh jesus fucking christ that's horrifying

Paying for media? Yeah its obnoxious.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Anything involving an airlock. Everything involving one. It's all horrible.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Anything involving an airlock. Everything involving one. It's all horrible.

To be fair, Miller also did that to someone already, same airlock...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Heh nice little detail, once Naomi gets drunk she starts breaking out the belter patois and gestures

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Just finished reading The Butcher of Anderson Station. Pretty good, short and sweet. Definitely need to re-watch episode 5 again thanks to that. Caliban's War is next!

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    I wonder if the Mars security ship even had enough time to regret treating that rock farmer like shit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    Weakest episode so far. Kept cutting back and forth between scenes and locations in a scattershot manner, very unfocused.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Something that's been making me very happy with The Expanse is not just that they're including gay characters, but that they're not commenting upon their gayness one bit.

Like you get the distinct impression that "gay" isn't really a social categorization anyone would understand anymore. Different people have different tastes and it doesn't make much difference, the end.

Amos tells a guy at the bar he's not interested, but there's not the least hint of any like hetero recoil away from having a guy making eyes at him, nor is he like "no I'm not gay". He's just not interested.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Kana wrote: »
    Something that's been making me very happy with The Expanse is not just that they're including gay characters, but that they're not commenting upon their gayness one bit.

Like you get the distinct impression that "gay" isn't really a social categorization anyone would understand anymore. Different people have different tastes and it doesn't make much difference, the end.

Amos tells a guy at the bar he's not interested, but there's not the least hint of any like hetero recoil away from having a guy making eyes at him, nor is he like "no I'm not gay". He's just not interested.

Well, Abaddon's Gate has an Episcopal priest who is a married lesbian with biological children with her wife because technology allows that in the future, so one of the key problems, "gay people can't have kids" is not really an issue anymore. Honestly, people barely care about that stuff even now... two hundred years from now? No way anybody gives a shit, except maybe the Mormons, but they're on their way out of the solar system anyway.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »

Julie's dating profile also listed her orientation as pansexual which was neat to see.

• Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    What's the deal with the artificial gravity going on/off when the drive does? Is that sci fi magic or is the acceleration creating it (and would that also be sci fi magic?)

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Acceleration, there's no artificial gravity in the setting.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    That's what I was thinking but it wasn't certain. So all the decks are vertically rather than horizontally orientated towards the engines, which are the bottom rather than the rear? How realistic is that actually?

wilting on
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    In a setting where it's most economical to spend most of your time accelerating or decelerating to get to places faster and reduce health problems associated with extended periods of low G, it seems to make sense.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    wilting wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking but it wasn't certain. So all the decks are vertically rather than horizontally orientated towards the engines, which are the bottom rather than the rear? How realistic is that actually?

It is pretty realistic. You can produce gravity like simulation using acceleration. The only limit is fuel. And in this universe that is solved by the drive system they use.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Yea, the unrealistic bit is the drive's efficiency with reaction mass but that is pretty much stated up front. I know that in the books the Roci pretty much never even pauses to consider anything about reaction mass even when jaunting all over the solar system though it is pretty well equipped as a military ship.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    I'm enjoying the show and I'm interested in the books, but I worry that it may be a bit inaccessible for audiences. Didn't feel like I had a decent grasp of the rules things were operating under for the first few episodes.

Like in the most recent episode

I didn't really understand the whole blowing up the asteroid in the giant net thing. Why not just drag it as it is, if you are trying to take all the mass with you anyway? That net had giant holes in it, of course stuff was going to leak out, what did he do wrong? Or was it liquid inside they were after?

wilting on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    wilting wrote: »
    I'm enjoying the show and I'm interested in the books, but I worry that it may be a bit inaccessible for audiences. Didn't feel like I had a decent grasp of the rules things were operating under for the first few episodes.

Like in the most recent episode

I didn't really understand the whole blowing up the asteroid in the giant net thing. Why not just drag it as it is, if you are trying to take all the mass with you anyway? That net had giant holes in it, of course stuff was going to leak out, what did he do wrong? Or was it liquid inside they were after?

I couldn't make heads or tails of why the rock farmer shattered the boulder either. I don't think a bunch of smaller rocks would be any easier to transport than one big rock. Wouldn't it be easier to just attach a tow rope and some 3D docking engines to the thing to get it into whatever stable orbit you are trying to sell it in?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I'm thinking that it's easier to process busted up and you don't want to be exploding rocks near a station.

I'm also very lukewarm to the actor playing Holden. I feel like he's a real weak link in the cast.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    Cabezone wrote: »
    I'm thinking that it's easier to process busted up and you don't want to be exploding rocks near a station.

But it is so much harder to transport. That was there because it looked cool. Like why the stealth ships drove right past the Knight in the premier rather than actually being way out in deep space where nobody was looking.

This discussion has been closed.