Options

[The Expanse] You know a lot about how people die.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Politics in The Expanse aren't that complicated.

Earth has a huge population, and most of the population live on "basic", ie basic income from the government, and mostly party their lives away. The people that work, do so because they're competent and want to work. Earth is very rich in resources and manufacturing, meaning the UN can support that many people on basic.

The Martians, on the other hand, are a people with a goal: they want to make Mars green. They have nowhere near the same population as Earth, but they have a technological advantage and a more advanced navy than the UN. The Epstein drive was a Martian invention and gave them the upper hand, allowing for massive sustained acceleration. When Mars declared their independence from Earth, sharing the Epstein tech was what prevented all-out war -- and it was far from certain that Earth would have won it.

I'll just quote the wiki:
    Many of the colonists of that period wanted to secede from the rule of Earth, and compared their plight to that of North America in the 1500's (Mars was a two month journey from Earth using the drive technology they had at the time). Two major events almost led the two planets to war, the first happened when a group of secessionists published their manifesto, leading the UN to invoke the 'breakaway province rule' and launch forty ships towards Mars. Negotiations behind the eventually cooled things down, and the ships turned around and headed back to Earth.

The other major incident came when the United Nations issued a statement that all future Martian ships would be contracted through the Bush orbital shipyards on Luna. The Martian government didn't even reply to that request and work at the shipyard continued. The UN then ordered that all shipyards on Mars shut down until an inspection team could be sent out there, but it would take them seven months to get a team together, and another six to make the journey to Mars (due to the planets position at the time). Once again, this request was ignored. Rumors of war started up once again, and if not for Solomon Epstein and his accidental invention of what would come to be called the Epstein Drive, war between the planet and it's colony may have been inevitable.

After Solomon invented the Epstein Drive (and lost his life on the initial test flight, due to the unprecedented power), Mars had a major technological advantage above Earth. The new ships could go further and faster than anything that had been built before, while using significantly less fuel, opening up the rest of the solar system for exploration and settlement. The colonial Martian government reached out to the UN and offered them access to the Epstein Drive in exchange for granting Mars its sovereignty.

Then you have the Belt and the outer planets -- and the Outer Planet Alliance, OPA.
    The Outer Planets Alliance, abbreviated OPA, is an organization that started its life as a labor union or advocacy group, fighting for the interests of inhabitants of the Belt, often in direct conflict with the inner planets' Earth Mars Coalition Navy. Its logo is a split circle and headquarters is located on Tycho Station.

The OPA is described as either a social movement, according to people sympathizing with Belters, or a terrorist network, according to the inner planets.

OPA is more of a gathering of various factions for a common goal... most of the time. The biggest faction is led by Fred Johnson, the Butcher of Anderson Station, an ex-UN soldier.

Holy crap thank you. I didn't even realize that Mars had already successfully seceded.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    beat me to it...yeah, 3 major factions. Mars, UN (Earth), and the Belters/OPA Mars and Earth are the superpowers and don't really like each other. Mars has surpassed Earth in technology and they have the coolest military toys. But both Earth and Mars treat the Belt/OPA like red-headed step children. The Mormons are working with the OPA to build the biggest starship in history, a generational starship meant to travel to another star over hundreds of years.

The Expanse was originally meant to be a MMO

At the current point in time in the show, the OPA isn't really a legitimate power. They have no official standing and no recognition from Earth or Mars. Fred Johnson wants that legitimacy, which is why he's so interested in Holden and the events around the Canterbury.

Additionally for clarification: The Mormons have contracted the Nauvoo from Tycho Manufacturing, an engineering firm that is famous for things like digging out and spinning up Ceres and Eros stations. While Tycho is essentially a front for the OPA, I doubt the Mormons are actively aware of that fact.

• Options
    and the guy who plays Kenzo Elias Toufexis just liked my tweet.

He is also the guy who plays Adam Jensen in Deus EX.

not sure if is should black out like a fan or take it in stride.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular

Ask him if he even asked for those sweet augs.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    The hat! Nooooooooo...

• Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    huh! Just found out apparently Cas Anvar, the guy who plays Alex voiced Altair in Assassin's Creed: Revelations.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    The hat! Nooooooooo...

That's it, adaptation ruined.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    jefe414 wrote: »

Ask him if he even asked for those sweet augs.

i wanted to.

but i couldn't think of the exact line and didn't want to blow it in front of a famous person

can you even imagine.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Adam Jensen voice!
    Adam Jensen voice!
    Adam Jensen voice!

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I'm really liking the show's version of Amos.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Alex needs to keep doing the folksy radio chatter.

• Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I'm really liking the show's version of Amos.

I like how they write in the novella's "The Churn" to build Amos out. I wasn't expecting that, and it's pretty cool. He plays the part of 'the monster' pretty well.
    Coinage wrote: »
    Alex needs to keep doing the folksy radio chatter.

DONKEY BALLS.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    got chills watching tonights episode, especially since I only read that scene less than a month ago. went almost exactly as I envisioned it.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    I haven't quite finished watching tonights episode yet but holy shit do I want a Dead Space movie or TV Show now.

that's the realest space fear i've felt since Alien.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Amos again proves that he's the kind of guy you'd want in your crew.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Holden's actor has grown on me

But Amos really has some natural low-key charisma

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    That was a nasty way to die.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Holden's actor has grown on me

But Amos really has some natural low-key charisma

Yeah amos has been my favorite side character.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I really like the entire crew, including dead guy, except for Holden.

• Options
    That was a nasty way to die.

And definitive.

I liked how Miller calmly just took over there, I guess when you give no shits people give you the right of way.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Okay, now things are really picking up. Glad they didn't decide to stick with one book per season, would have been really cramped to squeeze it into ten episodes and it feels more appropriate to end this season where I'm suspecting they'll end it.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    And now we watch as the shit, having just transited through the fan, begins to splatter against the wall.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Dat face though, (I made this):
    XSMxbDK.png

• Options
    One thing I'm confused by, is the earth spys eye thing unheard of or something? It seems strange Holden and crew didn't think to check him out or something?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Preacher wrote: »
    One thing I'm confused by, is the earth spys eye thing unheard of or something? It seems strange Holden and crew didn't think to check him out or something?

To be fair, how knowledgeable of modern spy equipment are you?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    That episode was _awesome_. It firmly cements my love for our unlucky crew. "Put a torpedo in it." So good.

And does this mean Ex-detective joins the crew? And are they are all potentially biohazardous from airborne now or do they have to touch the bio luminescent ship brain goo stuff too?

I want this show to go on for a long time, this is fun.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    General musing on the pacing of the show vs the books: (big plot spoilers, obviously)

edit: seriously, book spoilers. For the books. Plural.
    Season 1 looks like it'll end with the Eros Incident... but I don't feel there's enough left of the first book for a full second season, so maybe Eros crashing into Venus in the middle or first third of season 2?

Book 2, plot-wise, feels like it's a lot of side-questing with the hunt for Prax's daughter while the protomolecule plot keeps on cooking in the background. I'm wondering if they might squeeze most of book 2 into the second half of the season - the Venus construct launching and Firefly Miller popping up would be a pretty obvious cliffhanger.

Also, give us Bobbie already.

Echo on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    That episode was _awesome_. It firmly cements my love for our unlucky crew. "Put a torpedo in it." So good.

And does this mean Ex-detective joins the crew? And are they are all potentially biohazardous from airborne now or do they have to touch the bio luminescent ship brain goo stuff too?

I want this show to go on for a long time, this is fun.
    Yeah, he joins the crew. Doesn't stick around for long though.

Goo stuff (IIRC) is not air transmissible, it has to touch a person to infect them. But none of the characters know that yet.

• Options
    I think it would be pretty easy to smoothly transition straight from book one to two. Actually if anything it would probably work better than the way the book does it.

• Options
    Can you label that better, @Echo ? I wasn't expecting spoilers for the second book in there and I haven't read it yet.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    so i'm thinking that the constant mispronunciation of Anubis is a little tongue-in-cheek reference to fans of the book mispronouncing Rocinante.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Taranis wrote: »
    Can you label that better, Echo ? I wasn't expecting spoilers for the second book in there and I haven't read it yet.

Sure thing.
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    so i'm thinking that the constant mispronunciation of Anubis is a little tongue-in-cheek reference to fans of the book mispronouncing Rocinante.

It's more of a thing to highlight that the Belters are a culture of their own, without sentimental ties to Earth history.

edit: next week shows the remaining two episodes back to back. There's a teaser bit on Youtube, but I suggest you avoid it because it's kinda really spoilery.

Echo on
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular

It's more of a thing to highlight that the Belters are a culture of their own, without sentimental ties to Earth history.

edit: next week shows the remaining two episodes back to back. There's a teaser bit on Youtube, but I suggest you avoid it because it's kinda spoilery.

I noticed that Eros is pronounced completely differently in the Belters' slang arrival announcement than in the English announcement, matching a French-ish pronunciation of the English spelling.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Can you label that better, Echo ? I wasn't expecting spoilers for the second book in there and I haven't read it yet.

Sure thing.

edit: next week shows the remaining two episodes back to back. There's a teaser bit on Youtube, but I suggest you avoid it because it's kinda really spoilery.

Back to back? Show was already dead after next season most likely, but burning off this season is burning the ashes at this point just about, damnit.

It's getting good (better), too!

• Options

it was Amos that got it wrong in the latest episode though.

• Options

Sure thing.

Back to back? Show was already dead after next season most likely, but burning off this season is burning the ashes at this point just about, damnit.

Eh that doesn't mean anything, a lot of shows do a super sized finale. 24 did that for years.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Sure thing.

Not too unusual for a season finale to be shown all at once, is it?
    And, if they follow the events in the book, this isn't going to be something you want a week long break right in the middle.

• Options

I almost took that to be Amos just shining on the other guy. Like he knew pronouncing it wrong would elicit the correction and confirm that the other guy was a douche.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

I almost took that to be Amos just shining on the other guy. Like he knew pronouncing it wrong would elicit the correction and confirm that the other guy was a douche.

possible, just the fact that we've had a few instances of the name being flubbed made me thinking maybe the writers were having a bit of fun.

• Options

possible, just the fact that we've had a few instances of the name being flubbed made me thinking maybe the writers were having a bit of fun.

I prefer the Amos the interpretation that Amos is smarter than he gets credit for and actively cultivates the idea of him being a brute. HES MY SPIRIT ANIMAL!

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.