Options

[The Expanse] You know a lot about how people die.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    I'm thinking that it's easier to process busted up and you don't want to be exploding rocks near a station.

Sure, it's easier to process, but only if you're processing it right there.
    If you're hauling the rock to a processing plant or space station, I think it'd be easier to haul it there in one piece and break it up where it can be safely contained and all bits recovered for use rather than hoping that your net of tow cables holds enough of the bits together for you to haul back.

Really, I think that scene was written more to give the rock-farmer a giant sized slingshot full of rocks than to be any kind of serious description on how to properly mine asteroids.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    wilting wrote: »
    I'm enjoying the show and I'm interested in the books, but I worry that it may be a bit inaccessible for audiences. Didn't feel like I had a decent grasp of the rules things were operating under for the first few episodes.

Like in the most recent episode

I didn't really understand the whole blowing up the asteroid in the giant net thing. Why not just drag it as it is, if you are trying to take all the mass with you anyway? That net had giant holes in it, of course stuff was going to leak out, what did he do wrong? Or was it liquid inside they were after?

The books are extremely accessable. They are not hard science fiction, despite having some of the trappings.

They actually flow like a movie or TV show.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    When they first showed the asteroid scene, at first I thought they were doing another flashback and depicting the discovery of the
    protomolecule

but yeah, as the scene progressed, that idea was quickly nixed. One thing I noticed was that I read the synopsis for the episode on the wikia page and the name of the kid on that ship is
    Diogo. So I assume that wasn't the last we see of him.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    When they first showed the asteroid scene, at first I thought they were doing another flashback and depicting the discovery of the
    protomolecule

but yeah, as the scene progressed, that idea was quickly nixed. One thing I noticed was that I read the synopsis for the episode on the wikia page and the name of the kid on that ship is
    Diogo. So I assume that wasn't the last we see of him.

Ha! Good catch.

• Options
    That's the other thing I've noticed. Now that I've read Leviathan Wakes, if there is a scene in the show that strays away from the book. I'm almost completely lost. Belter patois in the book is tough sometimes, but if I look at it long enough, I can sorta get what they're saying. But when they speak it in the show....??????

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Unless the showrunners are aiming for that outsider/alienated vibe, perhaps subtitles for belter talk are in order?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    The patois is not translated in the subtitles. It's spelled out but not translated in any way. Having not read the books it's a bit disappointing.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Well it worked great when miller was all "and me without my wallet" to the prostitute. Was pretty clear she was yelling "there's good deals at Home Depot!"

616610-1.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Can anyone just walk up and push someone out the airlock? It seems like there should be some more security measures.
    I wonder if the Mars security ship even had enough time to regret treating that rock farmer like shit.
    I don't know, it didn't look like the rocks actually did much damage.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I wonder if the Mars security ship even had enough time to regret treating that rock farmer like shit.
    There was an explosion reflected in spaced kid's helmet visor.
    Though, I suppose that might have just been his uncle's rock farming ship exploding from a Martian torpedo.

Which makes some sense, in the books Martian ships can take a punch. They should be able to shrug off some rocks, or at least move out of the rock's ballistic path if they had a bit of time between realizing what the guy was doing and him actually doing it. Of course, that's in the books where they seem to get the whole "Space is BIG" thing, the show kind of glosses over that in favor of not spending a bunch of time demonstrating how big and empty space is.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Though, I suppose that might have just been his uncle's rock farming ship exploding from a Martian torpedo.

Which makes some sense, in the books Martian ships can take a punch. They should be able to shrug off some rocks, or at least move out of the rock's ballistic path if they had a bit of time between realizing what the guy was doing and him actually doing it. Of course, that's in the books where they seem to get the whole "Space is BIG" thing, the show kind of glosses over that in favor of not spending a bunch of time demonstrating how big and empty space is.

Though at least in the one battle scene we've had they're like "oh hey, they launched torpedos at us... Guess we should go to battle stations eventually"

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Yeah I assumed that was from the torpedo, I watched it again before making that post, only a couple of the rocks actually hit because they were traveling along the ship's vertical axis. As you said, presumably they maneuvered, and the ship should be able to take a beating.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    I've read the first book and thought it was OK, so I tried the first episode of this and hey it's really very good indeed. Not sure about the guy playing Holden, who is very handsome but kind of bland, but Jane is superb and the whole thing has a glossy sheen of production quality and excellence I frankly wasn't expecting from a SyFy show..

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

It didn't do much more than annoy the Martians. Guy kicked out his nephew because he was making a suicide run. The equivalent of throwing a drunken punch at a cop except even less likely to accomplish anything.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Fun fact, the guy spying on Holden in the bar in Episode 6 was played by Elias Toufexis, the guy who voices Adam Jensen in Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Can anyone just walk up and push someone out the airlock? It seems like there should be some more security measures.

It's a massive station with thousands of people going in and out every day for maintenance and repairs.

Also spacing people is a time honored Belter tradition.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    belter stations and ships don't seem to have safety precautions

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Fun fact, the guy spying on Holden in the bar in Episode 6 was played by Elias Toufexis, the guy who voices Adam Jensen in Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Looks like he finally got his sweet, sweet augs.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Well airlocks are meant to open. It doesn't have any way of validating that everybody inside it are in appropriate vacuum suits. We could suggest that they should have giant fuck off "DO NOT VENT" buttons in them but the people who've used them so far were station security and the OPA (guerrillas/terrorists) who are pretty high on the list of people who would know how to override any safety things.

Oh, also the ship thing....all the kid had to do was put his mag boots to the wall and he wouldn't have gone anywhere. He was in a vacuum suit so he would have had mag boots.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    jefe414 wrote: »

Looks like he finally got his sweet, sweet augs.

But did he ask for them?

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Is it just me or are the un state department lady's scenes super boring and ham fisted?

"Wanna know why I quit? Because I couldn't tell if I was working for the good guys anymore!"

Like her scenes try to be game of thrones garden walks but they aren't nearly as interesting or clever

616610-1.png
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Her garden walks have so far skipped all subtlety and skip straight to "do this thing or I will do terrible things to you". She doesn't try to sweeten a deal or discuss potential benefits, she just goes around smashing shit with a hammer and you get the impression that maybe you're supposed to think she's being a deft political operator but there she is swinging a hammer about.

To compare it to Game of Thrones: https://youtu.be/V-I4O2UdTGQ?t=2m54s
    Watch the first 12 seconds and then skip straight to 2:55, that's your typical scene with Avasarala.

• Options

Belters practically worship infrastructure and redundancy but at the same time have an intense hatred of anyone who abuses or wastes resources. When I said spacing people is a time honored Belter tradition it was only half jokingly.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    OPA leader dude looks so much like younger Rutger Hauer to me

• Options
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Is it just me or are the un state department lady's scenes super boring and ham fisted?

"Wanna know why I quit? Because I couldn't tell if I was working for the good guys anymore!"

Like her scenes try to be game of thrones garden walks but they aren't nearly as interesting or clever
    Yeah that scene needed to be cut, she could have recapped when she talked to the other guy. I don't care that much about what's happening on earth.

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    Her garden walks have so far skipped all subtlety and skip straight to "do this thing or I will do terrible things to you". She doesn't try to sweeten a deal or discuss potential benefits, she just goes around smashing shit with a hammer and you get the impression that maybe you're supposed to think she's being a deft political operator but there she is swinging a hammer about.

I assumed we were supposed to get the impression that she really is just swinging the hammer around and is used to getting her way because of her position of power.

That's what causes the falling out between her and her child hood friend who is was the UN ambassador to Mars. And I got the impression from what he said that she has gotten used to winning.

It's not exactly an unrealistic character for someone in power. The same characterization would work if they gave it to a high ranking military officer.

• Options
    Throwing her longtime friend under the bus made sense because that was an emergency. This was just like, really, you couldn't wait a little bit and maybe get this without burning a bridge?

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Throwing her longtime friend under the bus made sense because that was an emergency. This was just like, really, you couldn't wait a little bit and maybe get this without burning a bridge?

I didn't get the impression that she did it only because it was an emergency.

It appears at least that she is genuinely surprised that her childhood friend doesn't want to play anymore after she burned him, because she expected it to just work out and she would get her way. I know people like this in real life (male and female) and have met people in leadership positions with this type of "style" (swing the hammer around and get what they want even tough it would be both easier and more gainful to do so with some tact).

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    OPA leader dude looks so much like younger Rutger Hauer to me

Jared Harris is a pretty great actor.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    So now syfy.com is prompting me for an active cable provider to stream the show? That's new, and unfortunate.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    So now syfy.com is prompting me for an active cable provider to stream the show? That's new, and unfortunate.

I figured that they would do that.

The first four episodes were leaked; smart play is to just release them.

Then, once you start getting into new episodes, keep the next one or two free, to establish the "Appointment TV" effect.

Finally, start charging for the last half of the season, after people have gotten invested. I bet some people will upgrade their cable to watch this. So it's an understandable and wise move; they've already been generous enough, given the leak.

Me? I can wait until it hits Hulu or Netflix. Something to look forward to.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Please clearly label your book spoilers.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Seal wrote: »

Watch the first 12 seconds and then skip straight to 2:55, that's your typical scene with Avasarala.

i laughed

• Options
    So...after reading The Butcher of Anderson Station and re-watching the Anderson station scenes in Ep 5.

I'm hoping they have further scenes depicting what was going on for Fred, because the short story clearly shows that...
    Fred didn't know the belters were trying to surrender when assaulting them

but the show...
    ...doesn't seem to depict that at all. Just him standing at the platform staring at the wreckage and because he's in the space suit, it's kinda hard to see any emotions on his face. So either the show has something else in mind and will change what happened or we're going to see more about Fred later??

• Options
    VoodooV wrote: »
    So...after reading The Butcher of Anderson Station and re-watching the Anderson station scenes in Ep 5.

I'm hoping they have further scenes depicting what was going on for Fred, because the short story clearly shows that...
    Fred didn't know the belters were trying to surrender when assaulting them

but the show...
    ...doesn't seem to depict that at all. Just him standing at the platform staring at the wreckage and because he's in the space suit, it's kinda hard to see any emotions on his face. So either the show has something else in mind and will change what happened or we're going to see more about Fred later??

I wouldn't hold my breath on that.
    Book 1
    The show has been making everybody a bit more cruel, a bit more dirty, a bit more selfish. Holden isn't really the optimistic freedom of information type he was in the book and Miller was actually taking bribes to let somebody fuck with the air filters.

I'm also kinda sad they changed Fred's intro to a flashback instead of selling his reputation based on people's reactions to him. I do hope:
    Book 1
    We still get Miller lecturing him about how to run a boarding op because he doesn't realize who he is. That was hilarious.

Oh, and there was a really subtle change to Chrisjen this week that I suspect I'm going to hate.
    Book 2?
    Her son was killed by the OPA and not by a random skiing accident. This undercuts the tragedy of her struggle to control things because it isn't so obviously impossible. That what motivates her is impossible and illogical in the book, and that she is well aware of it, was touching and really helped her form a connection with Bobbie who was in a similar situation.

• Options
    Sadly I made a vow that I need to finish up some errands/chores before I start Book 2. Hopefully I'll get everything done tomorrow so I can learn more about Chrisjen, but thankfully her scenes in the show have been short

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I just wish there was a primer for people who don't want to read the books but want to understand the history of the universe the show has created.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I just wish there was a primer for people who don't want to read the books but want to understand the history of the universe the show has created.

Ask me anything.

• Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Ask me anything.
    Latest ep:
    Did the uncle seriously open his helmet in space? Why? How was that fine?

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    You have 10 seconds of useful consciousness after being exposed to hard vacuum, no idea idea why uncle space bumpkin thought that was alright.

This discussion has been closed.