As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense! (ironman, superhuman, starting tech & council funding only)

• Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    The party never stops in South America.

ocM9QLu.png

Neither does MechMantis.

GAsejrO.gif

The flight from Mt. Rushmore to central Brazil and back is a round trip of about 10,000 miles. MechMantis has made this sortie at least four times in the last month. To put that into perspective, circumnavigating the globe is a journey of only 25,000 miles.

This is not the flight record of a mere Lieutenant.

1ksmG7x.png

Now our ground forces have the opportunity to earn some promotions of their own. With Captain YerMum shipping out to Neo-ChongQing in order to shore up Asia's depleted roster, only two officers are left at Mount Rushmore.

Who will step forward to fill YerMum's shoes?

q2vJUap.png

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    You better hope its not me because "Charge!" is the only command in my repertoire.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    :D

Thank you for the new silver bars!

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Man it would be cool to actually get in the air sometime. :(

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Well gee you just need to be where the aliens are.

It's not that hard.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I now have this Venture Bros like image of Teddy Roosevelt's mouth opening up on Mount Rushmore to launch an interceptor and a skyranger.

And General Fanda Treister back at base, hoping that this mission will bring back the alien technology to cure his pee-pee cancer.

• Options
    KX3O1dd.png

X-Com Order of Battle:
    Rend and Chrono Paladin
    Rhan9 and Phoenix-D
    Cheeseliker and Cog
    @Pixelated Pixie and manwiththemachinegun
    Talus9952 and Molybdenum

On January 11th we conducted our first ground operation of the campaign. It took place in jungle terrain, we were facing Floaters, and one of them was staring directly at an_alt when the ramp dropped.

JMMUSVs.png

A dicey manoeuver involving smoke and proximity grenades ended up getting her shot in the face.

eyjjo0n.gif

We've come a long way since then.

HrFSbIq.png

Of course, the more things change, the more they stay the same. It looks like the Medium Scout touched down on the only clear patch of land in this jungle, and our Skyranger was forced to follow suit.

Another incandescently hot landing zone is another chance for our autocannon gunners to shine. Rhan9 slides off the ramp to apply some explosive rounds to the situation.

F9IsTEn.png

We have just lost cabin pressure.

Rend, Rhan9, and Chrono Paladin immediately freeze in place. Any movement now could trigger reaction fire that will annihilate them.

Rhan9 could save us from this horror if her autocannon was loaded with armor piercing ammunition, but that's not the world we live in. Our salvation will have to come from the Skyranger.

We need someone with the right combination of heavy firepower and swift reflexes to disembark into the teeth of Floater overwatch. Only one woman fits the bill.

Cog, your moment of destiny is upon you.

nYXyzfN.gif

Also, your moment of getting shot in the back.

bd5RQ8H.png

Cog will bleed out in five turns and fall unconscious before that. Unfortunately, the only way to medevac Cog is to first clear the LZ. We have to go all in and hope we can prevent these Floaters from turning our landing ramp into an abattoir.

With the Skyranger's engines roaring back to life around her and a crossfire of cannon shells and plasma fire erupting below, Cheeseliker disembarks.

puIUcw5.gif

It's not even dead, but it's down, and that's all that matters. Pixelated Pixie can exploit the newly-opened gap in their overwatch.

8mFVaHZ.gif

The, uh, gap. In their overwatch? Not so much, as it turns out. We are astonishingly lucky that it was only the landing gear that got shot.

I was hoping to reserve both Rend and Chrono Paladin for some much-needed scouting, but that went out the window the moment Pixie came under fire.

SUEVzMb.png

Alas, Rend can only poke a pair of holes in the Floater's cape.

q4EWDkI.png

It's more than Chrono manages.

And now we're reduced to pure desperation. Pixie will have to take her shots in full view of the southern Floater.

She knew when she signed up that some day she might be called on to make the ultimate sacrifice to save the lives of her brothers and sisters in arms. It was a romantic notion, the sort of thing that burnishes heroic legends and launches a thousand juvenile daydreams.

Or so it seemed back in the barracks. Less so now, as she chokes on acrid smoke and Cog wails in agony a few steps to her right.

But suddenly, like Cog, her moment of destiny has come. Our extraction depends on Pixie pulling the trigger.

WrRfDY8.gif

There's no return fire. The southern Floater has nothing left.

Finally, Rhan9 can take her shots.

BohW0Hw.gif

Burn in hell.

All the visible contacts are down, but we remain excruciatingly vulnerable to anything coming out of the UFO. They could come around the east side, along the south, or - being that they're Floaters - right over the top of it.

We only have enough time to put a proximity grenade on one of those approaches. Since we already saw one Floater coming around the south, Phoenix-D bets everything on the notion that the others will follow the same path.

Molybdenum passes her Captain a primed proxy, and Phoenix-D moves down beside Pixie to throw it.

uP2OqM9.png

It's a good toss, right on target.

rM9ehIi.png

And Phoenix's bet pays off.

0hylU1I.gif

Hang on Cog, we're almost home free.

bGsykCT.gif

oh no

XCvipcx.png

New plan: kill 'em all.

NfsUjtl.png

Kneeling at the mouth of the Skyranger, Molybdenum unleashes a hellacious storm of dakka on the Floater below.

8fGJh7y.gif

Nothing comes of it except churning the dirt. Cheeseliker will have to handle this at close range.

IK59rS5.gif

Like I was saying, Rend will have to handle this at close range.

8CaQBDw.gif

For the first time since we touched down, we have some breathing room and a chance to gain our bearings. Colonel Talus orders the scouts forward, and the world beyond our charnel house of a landing zone is revealed.

BqwwB33.png

The entire area of operations is clotted with vegetation. We're completely hemmed in to this little corner with the UFO.

Rhan9 takes the initiative to blow apart some of the underbrush, opening a path for us in case we need to break out to the west.

njRi1lT.gif

But I have a feeling the rest of the aliens are lurking inside their ship. With that in mind, manwiththemachinegun and Phoenix-D supply proxies to both sides of the UFO.

vQbLvUP.png

Come out and play, little Floaters.

rM9ehIi.png

Come out and die.

zqYBfJG.gif

The silence following the explosion is disturbed by a hum at Pixie's feet. The anti-gravity unit of the unconscious Floater has reactivated.

5A8jZRJ.png

Pierced by two heavy cannon shells, the Floater is a gory mess held upright only by the framework of cybernetic implants woven through its flesh.

ph15iWF.gif

Lie down. You're done.

GybONx2.png

zLvthds.png

• Options
    Only one death, not bad for such a clusterfuck.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Can we cover the bottom of the Skyranger with spikes or something?

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Skyranger partaeyyyy

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Holy crap that was tense.

RIP @Cog. :(

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Is it too late to sign up for death glory?

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    Cog, you will McFeast forever in Valhalla!

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    I live, I die, I live again!

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Obviously promotions are not decided by how much dakka one dispenses. Those trees and bushes sure won't threaten the good honest folk of the rainforest any longer.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Is it too late to sign up for death glory?

Not anymore

• Options
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Obviously promotions are not decided by how much dakka one dispenses. Those trees and bushes sure won't threaten the good honest folk of the rainforest any longer.

Trees are just larval barns. We like to get 'em when they're young.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    the new reaction icons came just in time

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    I live, I die, I live again!
    Fixed that for you.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Cog wrote: »
    I live, I die, I live again! all my shit mysteriously disappears from my locker.
    Fixed that for you.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    A man with the machine gun in his natural habitat, placing bombs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ3ZvzkEs4E

• Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Pheeeeew. Crazy. Intense. Finally my abilities have been recognized.

• Options
    WkPQP3O.png

lMi25xI.png

FN7gwkL.png

sL8QMvT.png

StqTm8T.png

nMi0SuE.png

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Aaaaw yeah.

I'ma run this base out of grey and red paint at this rate! I keep having to paint alien hulls with giant red X'es through em on the nose of my Interceptor!

MechMantis on
  • Options
    fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Aaaaw yeah.

I'ma run this base out of red paint at this rate! !

I don't think this will be a problem.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Not in the end anyway.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    You know, this thread started on January 4th, while the in-game start date is January 1st. We're up to a real date of June 30th, while the in-game date is only up to May 7th.

More time has passed in our world than has passed in theirs.

• Options
    That's what they want you to think

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HUjovFO.png

X-Com Order of Battle:
    Rend and Chrono Paladin
    Jintor and Morning Butter
    Cheeseliker and @WIckedkarma
    manwiththemachinegun and @Phaserlight
    @Heffling and Talus9952

snL4w2z.png

Why does this keep happening to me? =(

metPq7w.png

I don't deserve this. I'm a good person.

uJh7geV.png

I suppose the people of Brasilia might disagree.

hu8tuaC.png

But there are hardly any of them left to complain, are there? So I think I'm in the clear.

02ciaua.png

Speaking of which, the jungle looks refreshingly vacant. Most of the Sectoids are probably still in the ship.

What would be really brilliant right now is if we could get a proxy on the front door ...

4F44KDB.png

... but we can't have everything we want.

0eYzXde.png

Oh well. Hold on to it, WIckedkarma, and you can find a better position to throw from next turn.

rM9ehIi.png

Ejza6Uj.gif

dHow09p.gif

Why does this keep happening to me? =(

aDIUYsl.png

Okay, I guess this happened more to WIckedkarma than to me. Sorry, brother.

One day we'll get through a mission again without losing someone.

OlQYLHj.png

Today, however, is not that day. Today may not even be on the same page of the calendar. And in the meantime, we have some revenge to exact.

With Chrono spotting, Rend assays a few long-range shots.

USlnwvK.gif

But the Sectoid is barely taller than the ferns in front of it, and in trying to shoot over its cover, Rend puts all his rounds high and wide of the mark.

Fortunately, Cheeseliker is able to lob a grenade around the tree and over the ground cover. A regular grenade should be enough to kill a Sectoid, so Chrono Paladin turns back to take refuge in the smoke cloud...

aERmuQu.png

...and discovers that our troubles are only beginning.

Due to the position of the Skyranger and one of the intervening trees, a grenade seems like an unlikely prospect this time around. And with half a dozen tiles of ground foliage between us and the Sectoid, direct fire doesn't look any more promising.

Maybe Jintor can clear enough of that vegetation with her explosive rounds to give someone else a shot? The odds aren't terrific, but it's the best we've got.

4RZez3h.gif

HOLY SHIT

s91D50D.png

Jintor doesn't ease off the trigger until half the tree line is chopped into smoking debris along with the Sectoid.

ztoWB3h.gif

The grenade blast seems very small by comparison, but it gets the job done.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    You know, this thread started on January 4th, while the in-game start date is January 1st. We're up to a real date of June 30th, while the in-game date is only up to May 7th.

My intention is to get this thing wrapped up one way or another before the next winter charity drive.

I think I'm going to have to pick up the pace.

• Options
    Fanda wrote: »

My intention is to get this thing wrapped up one way or another before the next winter charity drive.

I was totally not complaining.

Especially since I'm deployed on the current mission.

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    I was totally not complaining.

Especially since I'm deployed on the current mission.

I sense some door breach duty coming up...

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

Can the budget be stretched so that two research projects can be worked on at a time? If we have to send out rookies with stun rods to capture alien leaders, it should probably be soon right?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    Finally, some action!

*sees WIckedkarma bite it*

This is way hotter than Beirut.

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • Options
    It's looks like...
    Karma's catching up to the wicked, huh?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Booooooo!

• Options
    NbspNbsp she laughs, like God her mind's like a diamondRegistered User regular
    !signUp

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Tiny grey man hurt friend!

Machinegun SMASH.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    HOLY SHIT

s91D50D.png

Jintor doesn't ease off the trigger until half the tree line is chopped into smoking debris along with the Sectoid.

predatorm134handheld10.jpg

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    HOLY SHIT

s91D50D.png

predatorm134handheld10.jpg
    did you decide to post this before or after you saw the alt text?