As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Virginia: North enough to be hated by the South and South enough to be hated by the North

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Boy, sure are a bunch of Nazis out there supporting gun rights, huh.

WTF I hate civil liberty now.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »

No one here hates civil liberties.

You most definitely framed these events as some sort of statist conspiracy theory. One you couldn't even bother to try to prove.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Quid wrote: »

You most definitely framed these events as some sort of statist conspiracy theory. One you couldn't even bother to try to prove.

Oh, it's a conspiracy theory now. You and other forumers are literally conflating the protest and participants with Neo-Nazis. And we are going to pretend that a governor facing a large protest at the capital over proposed legislation, including things other than gun control, announcing that there is a "credible threat" isn't poisoning the well.

I didn't frame it as a "statist conspiracy theory", I stated that it was designed to get statists to clutch their pearls over a protest. And here we have a thread full of pearl clutching. So it seems it's working as intended.

Hitler drank water, so I hope you don't. You wouldn't want to be a Nazi now.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

Oh, it's a conspiracy theory now. You and other forumers are literally conflating the protest and participants with Neo-Nazis. And we are going to pretend that a governor facing a large protest at the capital over proposed legislation, including things other than gun control, announcing that there is a "credible threat" isn't poisoning the well.

I didn't frame it as a "statist conspiracy theory", I stated that it was designed to get statists to clutch their pearls over a protest. And here we have a thread full of pearl clutching. So it seems it's working as intended.

Neo-Nazis were literally going to Virginia to participate in the protest until they got arrested along the way for the credible threat of committing domestic terrorism.

moniker on
  • Options
    moniker wrote: »

Neo-Nazis were literally going to Virginia to participate in the protest until they got arrested along the way for the credible threat of committing domestic terrorism.

And we know that the only people gathering for the protest are Neo-Nazis. Case closed, I suppose we can loosen our grip on the pearls now.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2020

Considering there's been what, 6? actual Nazis arrested before the protest who were planning to attend and kill people, I really don't see how he's poisoning the well.

I also don't think it's unfair to lump people who were willing to go protest alongside literal Nazis in with the Nazis. I certainly didn't feel bad about it during the Unite The Right protest. Maybe if you don't wanna be mistaken for a Nazi, don't hang out with Nazis?

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

Considering there's been what, 6? actual Nazis arrested before the protest who were planning to attend and kill people, I really don't see how he's poisoning the well.

I also don't think it's unfair to lump people who were willing to go protest alongside literal Nazis in with the Nazis. I certainly didn't feel bad about it during the Unite The Right protest. Maybe if you don't wanna be mistaken for a Nazi, don't hang out with Nazis?

Hitler ate food, hope you don't eat food.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

And we know that the only people gathering for the protest are Neo-Nazis. Case closed, I suppose we can loosen our grip on the pearls now.

Yeah, all those good, upstanding people marching alongside Nazis. What the fuck are you even talking about?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I feel dumb for having to say this, but everyone has to eat food .... not everyone has to march with neo nazis

• Options

Yeah, all those good, upstanding people marching alongside Nazis. What the fuck are you even talking about?

6 Neo-Nazis clearly = the entire protest and everyone who planned to go and participate.

I bet Nazis also think due process and free speech are good too, so we shouldn't protest over those either. At least recognize that your galaxy-brained take is conflating everyone with a single car load of Neo-Nazis.

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I feel dumb for having to say this, but everyone has to eat food .... not everyone has to march with neo nazis

This is absolutely the most big brained take on this possible. Oh no, a Neo-Nazi somewhere might think having X right violated is bad ergo that right is bad and everyone who thinks X right shouldn't be violated is bad.

• Options
    all I'll say is that if I was protesting something that neo nazis were also protesting, I'd at the very least do it some other time or location.

• Options

How many heavily armed Nazis caught plotting domestic terrorism at a protest does it take to consider an emergency order from the governor to be prudence rather than "poisoning the well"? I would have thought six to be five too many.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    all I'll say is that if I was protesting something that neo nazis were also protesting, I'd at the very least do it some other time or location.
    Let's not be vague, how many Nazis does it take before it becomes a Nazi March? I'm certainly comfortable labeling a protest with 55% Nazis a Nazi March, but what if there's only 2 Nazis? I'm not sure of the answer, but we should know before counting the number of Nazis at the upcoming protest.

Coinage on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Let's not be vague, how many Nazis does it take before it becomes a Nazi March? I'm certainly comfortable labeling a protest with 55% Nazis a Nazi March, but what if there's only 2 Nazis? I'm not sure of the answer, but we should know before counting the number of Nazis at the upcoming protest.

Maybe we could just have everyone wear identifying armbands

wait

nibXTE7.png
  • Options

interesting question

in my day, even just one nazi (neo or otherwise) showing up would be told in no uncertain terms to fuck off.

these days, I feel like if you're comfortable enough to be marching with even two or three, than I'm comfortable enough calling you friendly towards nazis

• Options
    edited January 2020

interesting question

in my day, even just one nazi (neo or otherwise) showing up would be told in no uncertain terms to fuck off.

these days, I feel like if you're comfortable enough to be marching with even two or three, than I'm comfortable enough calling you friendly towards nazis

So you're of the opinion that everyone at a rally or protest is responsible if a single person with bad intentions shows up (or in this case is arrested before they even get into the same state as the protest)? I hope you're consistent on that, like say if a group of organized upper middle class suburbanite kids with bike locks show up to engage in "praxis" at an otherwise peaceful protest.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    So far all 6 seem to have been arrested for various weapons charges not related to the protest. The original report for the first 3 said there was evidence they were planning something for the protest, but I haven't seen mention of what yet.

They aren't second amendment supporters, either way. No Nazi is. They want a race war, and it's already no secret, including the writings of at least one mass shooter, that their intention is to basically cause so much unrest the government comes down hard, causing the "common man" to rise up, letting them then usurp the uprising for their own needs.

The majority of the people at the rally Monday won't be Nazis, nor will they want Nazis there. Heck, Antifa has urged its members to attend.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options

interesting question

So you're of the opinion that everyone at a rally or protest is responsible if a single person with bad intentions shows up (or in this case is arrested before they even get into the same state as the protest)? I hope you're consistent on that, like say if a group of organized upper middle class suburbanite kids show up with bike locks show up to engage in "praxis" at an otherwise peaceful protest.

that's not really what I said

I'm not really sure what you mean by praxis either. Is it a reprehensible ideology responsible for the deaths of millions? because if so, I wouldn't be caught dead marching with them.

• Options
    So far all 6 seem to have been arrested for various weapons charges not related to the protest. The original report for the first 3 said there was evidence they were planning something for the protest, but I haven't seen mention of what yet.

They aren't second amendment supporters, either way. No Nazi is. They want a race war, and it's already no secret, including the writings of at least one mass shooter, that their intention is to basically cause so much unrest the government comes down hard, causing the "common man" to rise up, letting them then usurp the uprising for their own needs.

The majority of the people at the rally Monday won't be Nazis, nor will they want Nazis there. Heck, Antifa has urged its members to attend.

That sounds like a pretty good reason to declare a temporary State of Emergency.

• Options
    edited January 2020

interesting question

So you're of the opinion that everyone at a rally or protest is responsible if a single person with bad intentions shows up (or in this case is arrested before they even get into the same state as the protest)? I hope you're consistent on that, like say if a group of organized upper middle class suburbanite kids show up with bike locks show up to engage in "praxis" at an otherwise peaceful protest.

I'm not really sure what you mean by praxis either. Is it a reprehensible ideology responsible for the deaths of millions? because if so, I wouldn't be caught dead marching with them.

He means breaking windows. Which I've seen pretty consistently denounced on these forums whenever something turns riot.

moniker on
  • Options
    regardless of who wants who there for what, I'm fine with a state of emergency simply because of what happened in Charlottesville.

• Options

interesting question

He means breaking windows. Which I've seen pretty consistently denounced on these forums whenever something turns riot.

oh

that's really not the same as supporting an ideology at all so no, I wouldn't lump all protestors in with them.

• Options

interesting question

oh

that's really not the same as supporting an ideology at all so no, I wouldn't lump all protestors in with them.

They might have some choice words for you if you told them this.

• Options
    edited January 2020

interesting question

So you're of the opinion that everyone at a rally or protest is responsible if a single person with bad intentions shows up (or in this case is arrested before they even get into the same state as the protest)? I hope you're consistent on that, like say if a group of organized upper middle class suburbanite kids with bike locks show up to engage in "praxis" at an otherwise peaceful protest.

Yeah, I'm saying if Nazis or Proud Boys or whatever shows up at your rally and you don't get in their face and tell them to fuck off and instead march alongside them, I'm totally gonna lump you in with them.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

interesting question

Yeah, I'm saying if Nazis or Proud Boys or whatever shows up at your rally and you don't get in their face and tell them to fuck off and instead march alongside them, I'm totally gonna lump you in with them.

This didn't even get to that point because the protest isn't until Monday and they were all arrested in different states than the one the protest will take place in. And yet you still conflated everyone else with Nazis. It's almost like you're arguing in bad faith.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    E: okay, maybe I should lay off the snark a bit

Jragghen on
  • Options

interesting question

This didn't even get to that point because the protest isn't until Monday and they were all arrested in different states than the one the protest will take place in. And yet you still conflated everyone else with Nazis. It's almost like you're arguing in bad faith.

I'm the one arguing in bad faith?

Also, yeah, we're talking about a future event. It doesn't make anything I said less true. It was true for the protesters in Charlottesville and we'll see if it's going to be true for the protesters in Virginia.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    NSDFRand was warned for this.

interesting question

I'm the one arguing in bad faith?

Also, yeah, we're talking about a future event. It doesn't make anything I said less true. It was true for the protesters in Charlottesville and we'll see if it's going to be true for the protesters in Virginia.

Yes. Mocking you in response to your bad argument isn't bad faith argumentation.

ceres on
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

mmmmm the way you're phrasing this kind of makes it sound like "big antifa" is involved, instead of non-existent, when it's actually a single local group (with its own particular interests and message) in attendance

i think the distinction is important in this instance

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I cannot believe this whole batshit argument is coming from not allowing guns at a time and location where there have been multiple documented, actionable threats.

The gun nuts in this country have completely lost the fucking script.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

interesting question

Also, so far law enforcement have identified and arrested six. While I wouldn't want to speculate on numbers or percentages, I do think it'd be naive to think that law enforcement identified and arrested everyone involved, or had matching ideologies or sympathies.

I do not doubt there will absolutely be more, and so Northam trying to limit the number of weapons in a mob situation, even if people do still carry illegally, seems a reasonable response to the threat identified.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I am glad that the feds and local police have arrested 6 of their compatriots prior to the protest, and furthermore, disavow all Neo-Nazi activity at the protest I am certainly not attending but is expected to draw in thousands of people.

Gov. Northam and company are still bullshit since they have tried blaming the restrictions on Capitol Police requests and they in turn said ‘no, lol wtf we’re good’.

But really, the entire protest which has been planned for weeks is suddenly alt-right neo-nazi territory because three days prior 6 assholes are arrested and now it’s conflated with Charlottesville before it kicks off. It seems like everybody is eager to point to the other side and say “bad! I told you so!” and I just want the whole protest to proceed safely and convey to the Virginian State Gov that their new proposed legislation is bullshit and not supported by their constituents.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Given that the people just voted in the legislature, I'm pretty confident the majority of constituents are a-ok with it. This isn't a lame duck session sneaking some shit in. This is a new congress with a fresh mandate with control of all branches of government.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular

interesting question

I suppose it's possible that the non-Nazi gun owners at the protest will tell the literal Nazis that inevitably show up to fuck off. I just don't think that's likely. I guess I've been drinking too much poisoned well water?

And let's say the gun owners do tell the Nazis to fuck off. I'd rather there not be guns, especially high-capacity, quick-firing varieties, in the hands of both sides of what's sure to be a heated argument. Just so it's less likely that something really unfortunate happens.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    ... and convey to the Virginian State Gov that their new proposed legislation is bullshit and not supported by their constituents.
    Senate Bill 35: Authorizes any locality to prohibit the possession of firearms and ammunition in public spaces during permitted events or events that would otherwise require a permit
    I'm 100% fine with this. Any event where there's a gun increases the chance that somebody gets shot.
    SB 69: Prohibits anyone who is not a licensed firearms dealer from purchasing more than one handgun within a 30-day period, making the offense a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    I'm 100% fine with this. I don't even buy more than one video game per month, and last I checked, video games weren't explicitly designed to kill people and look cool.
    SB 70: Requires background checks for any firearm transfer and directs State Police to set up a process for obtaining such a check from a licensed firearms dealer. Anyone who sells a firearm without a background check is guilty of a Class 6 felony, and the person who receives the firearm is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    Oh fuck yes. Gimme more bills like this! It doesn't go far enough in my opinion, but it's a good start!

This legislation is fucking awesome and supported by their constituents. Source: I am an authority on gun laws I think are awesome and a VA constituent.

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Given that the people just voted in the legislature, I'm pretty confident the majority of constituents are a-ok with it. This isn't a lame duck session sneaking some shit in. This is a new congress with a fresh mandate with control of all branches of government.

I mean, 91 out of 95 counties in VA have adopted 2A Sanctuary status so I guess they must be real popular.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular

I mean, 91 out of 95 counties in VA have adopted 2A Sanctuary status so I guess they must be real popular.

oh word, did the constituents of those counties vote on that?

• Options

oh word, did the constituents of those counties vote on that?

From my understanding, it was the result of people showing up to local government meetings and voicing their support for it and then the council voting on it.

VCDL has had good coverage on it.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    We literally just had an election where democrats running for office promised to pass these bills, and those democrats won, and now they're passing the bills.

Stop wasting your breath with this "not supported by the constituents" argument