Options

Touchdown Tom Brady is the Greatest Of All [chat]s

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Wheeee, Roko's Basilisk. 8->

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Guys. OMG guys.

I am at a red light. I am listening to NPR. NPR sponsored by Vermont teddy bear.

I just learned that Vermont teddy bear has a new "50 shades of grey" Bear, for Valentine's Day.

They say it includes accessories.

I'm not sure what to do with this information.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    So I am playing around with OSX 10.10.3

It has the new Photos app that is supposed to replace iPhoto.

Gonna see how goes.

@spacekungfuman -- we are close to the point where you can easily have all your photos on your iPhone all the time without needing to store the full-sized version in memory. I'll check to see if the ability to share events (or possibly even the entire library) between other iCloud accounts exists in this.

uh we are basically already at that point, i've had the icloud photo beta storage version turned on since it was available

it stores the unfull version on your phone and you tap it and it loads from the cloud

it works perfectly

this is important because i have every photo i've ever taken with an iphone going back to 2008 on my phone and i would have 0 space without this (on my 64GB phone)

right, but that is because you never ever took anything off your phone.

Photos in OSX lets you put your massive, multi tens of gigabytes iPhoto libraries into the cloud, and browse them just as easily as you do on the phone/iPad.

Like, Summer has an ungodly amount of photos. Split libraries and everything. It will be really nice for her to have it all in one place.

hmm interesting

i never ever sorted through oodles of vacation photos taken with dslr

most of my photos from trip to japan never saw the light of day (/ social media)

poo
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    As a father, I can say conclusively that fathers are p great, so of course the fathers of a nation as great as America are going to kick ass. This isn't hard.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/05/us/feat-barber-shames-misbehaving-kids/index.html
    Never has a single haircut caused such a fuss.

Some call it the "Benjamin Button Special;" others the "old man" cut.

In either case, it's supposed to be the cure for a misbehaving boy. A little bit of shame to get him back on track.

"So you wana act grown...well now you can look grown too," Russell Fredrick posted on the Facebook page for his A-1 Kutz barbershop in Snellville, Georgia, near Atlanta.

The mother of a 10-year-old took Fredrick up on his offer. The 'after' photos show a boy who looks like a little old man with a pronounced bald spot.

Fredrick's post has gone viral on Facebook and Instagram, generating worldwide media coverage -- both cheers and jeers.

"If my kid's grades fell, I'd do this to him, too," said a Facebook post by Marla-Eyvette Massie.

But Samuel Thomas Duncan was not amused. "I'd rather punish a child at home and keep it a private matter than let someone else humiliate that child publicly," he said.

Fredrick said he's not surprised by all the attention the new coif is getting.

"Because a lot of people are at a loss of how to discipline kids, you can't whup 'em anymore, like we used to, as children," the barber said. "It works."

Childhood as source

The inspiration came from Fredrick's own life, when he was having trouble last year with his 12-year-old son, CNN affiliate WXIA reports.

The frustrated dad told him to quit acting up in school "like an old foolish man."

Fredrick shaved his son's head bald and then showed him a picture of an old bald man, like the character in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button."

"I showed him and I told him, this is your next one if you keep it up," Fredrick told him. "He didn't want it, so he got his act together."

Learning a lesson?

Not familiar with the plot of "Benjamin Button?" Benjamin begins life as an old man and ages in reverse.

A-1 Kutz offers the "Benjamin Button Special" for free, but usually it doesn't come to that. One look at the picture of the first recipient of the "old man" cut is enough to do the trick.

As for the young man who got "the special," he says he's learned his lesson, according to Fredrick, and has a nice new cut to go with his new attitude.

I say we bring back public canings.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I don't know how to process this advertisement on NPR.

It appears I can't even. I need a manual. I need a manual to even.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

why it appear this tiem

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    why are you phone posting in your car

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i like that vermont advertises on both NPR and conservative talk radio

it truly bridges our partisan divide

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Guys. OMG guys.

I am at a red light. I am listening to NPR. NPR sponsored by Vermont teddy bear.

I just learned that Vermont teddy bear has a new "50 shades of grey" Bear, for Valentine's Day.

@Belasco32
    Spool has a special gift for you!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Guys. OMG guys.

I think you know

(how much is it)

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Guys. OMG guys.

Put the teddy bear in the nightstand?

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Guys. OMG guys.

Put an order in.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i'm already sick of my new avatar...

it's too creepy.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Guys. OMG guys.

You buy it, spool.

You buy it and you never let it go.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Guys. OMG guys.

Belasco32
    Spool has a special gift for you!

don't ruin the surprise!

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »

the inability to choose multiple providers is product of regulatory decisions

public regulatory bodies being gutted by private interests and the revolving door churn machine isn't "regulatory decisions" in my opinion; it's private actors interfering with what ought to have been a public decision

legislating regulatory bodies on a path to failure and then saying 'see, regulations are what caused this' is disingenuous

No True Regulation eh? Come on.

If you're going to say that regulation in the Best of All Possible Worlds is better than the nonregulated real life status quo, I can only agree.
    But the potential exists for better regulations.

There is no potential for better nonregulations.

If you're saying that unregulated businesses are always worse than regulated ones, I have to disagree. I'm not sure that's what you're saying though.
    I'm saying that one can favor regulation and can respond to bad regulation by saying it should be better without having to move to the best of all possible worlds.

Whereas one cannot improve upon deregulation except by changing other things (moving to a better world).

One can also respond to bad regulation by saying that we should not be regulating. I don't see how your position is any different than mine, except that you like regulating, and I don't.

I certainly will support regulation when it can be demonstrated that doing so will produce a better outcome than what's likely to happen without it, but I don't take it as a given that it always will.

If you don't either, then all we disagree on is how to order the cart and the horse. I prefer horse first!

His position is different in that the core problem that regulation seeks to tackle is what happens when X goes unregulated, and that the potential for a regression to the unregulated mean is so high that the idea that the default state of affairs is a choice is inherently out of the discussion

ie, regulation is not simply for the sake of regulation (even in super traditional, entrenched societies/industries) - they are fundamentally attempting to stop a regression into bad outcomes that happen during nonregulation

In this specific case though, we had 20 years of a good thing without regulation. Even if we draw the line at 2002 it's still an explosive decade. I feel like it's very hard to argue that hypothetical regulation of the internet would have been better than actual history for 2002-2012. The 2002 internet is barely recognizable to us now as anything but a relic - trying to craft regulations back then, that allow us to get to here? I don't think you can seriously argue that it would have been successful.

Regressing to bad outcomes isn't guaranteed. We should respond to conditions, not try to second-guess the future. When it's obvious, we should act, and when it is not, we should wait to act.

None of the period of the Internet's existence was unregulated, just differently regulated. Being classified as an 'information service' in 2002 still gave the FCC regulatory oversight. In fact they wrote net neutrality rules that were close to common carrier until SCOTUS knocked it down completely a few years ago which is what started this whole thing. And before 2002 it was a 'telecommunication service' which is when all the principles and base protocols were made. If that wasn't the case it would have just been AT&Ts plaything. Which is what will happen in the future without reclassification once a lot of court orders lapse and isp's can make walled gardens legally.

I think we definitely agree that moving to (reverting to?) common carrier status is the best solution at this point.

Yeah, I'm just quibbling that it is revert rather than introduce. The natural state of the internet was never unregulated. Except when it was based on carrier pigeons.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Americans have some of the worst internet in the civilised world.

And that includes major urban centres, so it's not a factor of population density. If you live on a farm your options are crap everywhere in the world.

My regulated internet is $25 for a 30/3 Mbit ADSL line, no cap.
    I could raise that to 50/5 for $32, or 100/50 over cable for $49 which also includes basic cable TV.
    My region doesn't have fiber yet, but $59 for 100/100 with tv is the norm.

And the reason for that is that my government set up a system where telcos compete.
    The cables themselves are in a non profit that is charged with maintenance and draws fees from all telcos and turns a profit, and the telcos compete on price, speed and custService.
    The result is that I gave 7 companies to choose from at the above prices.

I talked about this earlier... you guys got to start out with internet infrastructure v3.0

we been beta testing this shit for the world since like 0.5a! All the legacy crap is still in the production environment.

Both the adsl and cable internet services are adaptions of legacy tech.
    There is a point perhaps that our state run/monolopy owned phone lines (That were only broken in the '80s) were in general of excellent quality because the state demanded that. Which makes our current ADSL cheaper and faster than most, and it is slowing the rollout of fiber because at current demand it's not really needed much yet.
    But I'm not sure if that's really a point in favor of deregulation.

The problem that America has is that its form of free market sucks because it's almost always a high barrier entry oligarchy that bribes politicians, and its regulation sucks because it's made by bribed politicians who cater to low information voters thanks to a busted first past the post system.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So I am playing around with OSX 10.10.3

It has the new Photos app that is supposed to replace iPhoto.

Gonna see how goes.

@spacekungfuman -- we are close to the point where you can easily have all your photos on your iPhone all the time without needing to store the full-sized version in memory. I'll check to see if the ability to share events (or possibly even the entire library) between other iCloud accounts exists in this.

uh we are basically already at that point, i've had the icloud photo beta storage version turned on since it was available

it stores the unfull version on your phone and you tap it and it loads from the cloud

it works perfectly

this is important because i have every photo i've ever taken with an iphone going back to 2008 on my phone and i would have 0 space without this (on my 64GB phone)

right, but that is because you never ever took anything off your phone.

Photos in OSX lets you put your massive, multi tens of gigabytes iPhoto libraries into the cloud, and browse them just as easily as you do on the phone/iPad.

Like, Summer has an ungodly amount of photos. Split libraries and everything. It will be really nice for her to have it all in one place.

hmm interesting

i never ever sorted through oodles of vacation photos taken with dslr

most of my photos from trip to japan never saw the light of day (/ social media)

I am testing the developer beta with my bigass iPhoto library to see what happens.

I'll report back.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I find studying the US founding fathers as smart, well intentioned but very flawed people is more fun than treating them as all knowing infallible government producing gods.

We all know the only true all knowing god is Odin.

All politicians are deficient in some way or else they'd spend their time and effort on doing something useful.

emnmnme on
  • Options

Nerd Philosophy 101

• Options

Nerd Philosophy 101

That's insulting to nerds.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Guys. OMG guys.

I heard that this morning, thank you for reminding me of it's existence. I started laughing like a crazy person, I'm pretty sure that's the only way to process that information.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    Older, awkward guy at my work gave this younger female co-worker (who he always had this obvious, sad puppy crush on) a like "friendly" copy of 50 Shades of Grey once and jeeeeeez it was awkward being there for that.

She was a trooper. Handled it like a pro.

• Options
    But this is just golden for my MacBook Air.

Totally going to not grab the full resolution versions on my little laptop, and will STILL have all my photos, just like the iPad.

qkxha765xdk7.png

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    how can it retroactively punish me its a super powerful ai not a time machine lol

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Sears used to sell house kits.

I'd buy a house kit.

• Options

Nerd Philosophy 101

That's insulting to nerds.

fair enough

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    god now i'm down the jack donaghy youtube clip hole

yaasss

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Landshark is Leftshark, yesssssss

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    how can it retroactively punish me its a super powerful ai not a time machine lol

and if it could, why would it

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    I talked about this earlier... you guys got to start out with internet infrastructure v3.0

we been beta testing this shit for the world since like 0.5a! All the legacy crap is still in the production environment.

Sweden invested heavily in state-funded backbone cables way before the ISPs wanted to splurge on it. So there's more than just beta-testing.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    As a father, I can say conclusively that fathers are p great, so of course the fathers of a nation as great as America are going to kick ass. This isn't hard.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/05/us/feat-barber-shames-misbehaving-kids/index.html
    Never has a single haircut caused such a fuss.

Some call it the "Benjamin Button Special;" others the "old man" cut.

In either case, it's supposed to be the cure for a misbehaving boy. A little bit of shame to get him back on track.

"So you wana act grown...well now you can look grown too," Russell Fredrick posted on the Facebook page for his A-1 Kutz barbershop in Snellville, Georgia, near Atlanta.

The mother of a 10-year-old took Fredrick up on his offer. The 'after' photos show a boy who looks like a little old man with a pronounced bald spot.

Fredrick's post has gone viral on Facebook and Instagram, generating worldwide media coverage -- both cheers and jeers.

"If my kid's grades fell, I'd do this to him, too," said a Facebook post by Marla-Eyvette Massie.

But Samuel Thomas Duncan was not amused. "I'd rather punish a child at home and keep it a private matter than let someone else humiliate that child publicly," he said.

Fredrick said he's not surprised by all the attention the new coif is getting.

"Because a lot of people are at a loss of how to discipline kids, you can't whup 'em anymore, like we used to, as children," the barber said. "It works."

Childhood as source

The inspiration came from Fredrick's own life, when he was having trouble last year with his 12-year-old son, CNN affiliate WXIA reports.

The frustrated dad told him to quit acting up in school "like an old foolish man."

Fredrick shaved his son's head bald and then showed him a picture of an old bald man, like the character in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button."

"I showed him and I told him, this is your next one if you keep it up," Fredrick told him. "He didn't want it, so he got his act together."

Learning a lesson?

Not familiar with the plot of "Benjamin Button?" Benjamin begins life as an old man and ages in reverse.

A-1 Kutz offers the "Benjamin Button Special" for free, but usually it doesn't come to that. One look at the picture of the first recipient of the "old man" cut is enough to do the trick.

As for the young man who got "the special," he says he's learned his lesson, according to Fredrick, and has a nice new cut to go with his new attitude.

I say we bring back public canings.

I think this reply works better for spool's previous post than the one you quoted

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    i laughed

that is an old man haircut

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Wash wrote: »

because its god and the longer it takes for it to come online and do god things the more innocent people suffer so it needs to create an incentive to create it faster

but if it has a time machine to punish me can't it just create itself with a time paradox i mean jeez

• Options
    Shipped by railroad boxcar, and then usually trucked to a home site, the average Sears Modern Home kit had 25 tons of materials, with over 30,000 parts.

Haha, Lord, just send a family 25 tons of materials and hope they make a functioning house. I love it.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Older, awkward guy at my work gave this younger female co-worker (who he always had this obvious, sad puppy crush on) a like "friendly" copy of 50 Shades of Grey once and jeeeeeez it was awkward being there for that.

She was a trooper. Handled it like a pro.
    Dang I never thought of that

Need to try it

• Options
    Also, it's kind of funny that Sweden's investment in a solid broadband backbone is what made The Pirate Bay so popular - because now people had the bandwidth to torrent tons of stuff.

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Wash wrote: »

because its god and the longer it takes for it to come online and do god things the more innocent people suffer so it needs to create an incentive to create it faster

but if it has a time machine to punish me can't it just create itself with a time paradox i mean jeez

exactly

punishing you solves nothing, it's bizarre and petty

a machine is logical and certainly not petty

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    kpyuqh6k1hvb.png
    hue hue hue hue

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    But this is just golden for my MacBook Air.

Totally going to not grab the full resolution versions on my little laptop, and will STILL have all my photos, just like the iPad.

qkxha765xdk7.png

is this working now or only on the dev beta?

my wife needs this like crazy. her 128gb air is basically full and i dont really want to shell out for an OWC hard drive upgrade at the moment

919UOwT.png
This discussion has been closed.