As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOW] My love don't cost a thing, but WOW game tokens cost 20K Gold.

• Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Aegis wrote: »
    I am a fan of having everyone take responsibility

You haven't met our raid team.

I mean my raid team ain't much better (we ain't dropped em and got 10+ stacks during phase 3 during our attempts) but like Madican says there's really not much you can do about it.

Maybe you can have a God-King hunter track everyone's stacks and stack on the person at just the right time and pop disengage and speed cooldowns at all the right times. ... aside from the fact that even he can't solo phase 2. It's just not a job that one person can really do.

In all likelihood I will probably end up emphasising this mechanic and calling out people's stacks as they get up there. DBM will announce who has stacks as they increment with the newer versions of DBM. It was immensely useful as a discipline priest because I knew who to bubble. Realistically though I need to configure grid to track it so I can do it faster...

edit: As for people not boning up on the Dungeon Journal... yeah my group does that too. As "the dude who explains the fights and scouts out the strategies" I find it somewhat irksome but on the other hand just reading all of the abilities a few times but not really seeing how the fit in the grander scheme isn't terribly useful. The dungeon journal is nice but there are a lot of people who just cannot learn by reading.

Obviously laziness is a big part of it. But people learn by different measures. More work for me I suppose!

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I mean, I can just forcibly take the Branded away from them, because I have a blink, I can count, and I know the ranges at which the stacks (this doesn't work for phase 2 that well, obviously).

I just don't want to have to resort to that yet.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I mean, I can just forcibly take the Branded away from them, because I have a blink, I can count, and I know the ranges at which the stacks (this doesn't work for phase 2 that well, obviously).

Hunters are generally chosen for their ability to DPS on the move and Deterrence twice if a stack goes beyond a manageable amount, though if the raid constantly lets the stack reach that amount then the hunter will die very quickly. You may be able to Ice Block a hit or two, but you'll die just the same and won't be able to do your full DPS moving all the time.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular

That's not going to work for every phase, but it might be helpful. Really though, from the way you're describing your raiding group, I wouldn't worry about it too much. They probably won't be able to do it, so don't stress yourself trying to force it to happen. Do your normal shit with your guild and then pug into a decent group to get him down.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Hunters are generally chosen for their ability to DPS on the move and Deterrence twice if a stack goes beyond a manageable amount, though if the raid constantly lets the stack reach that amount then the hunter will die very quickly. You may be able to Ice Block a hit or two, but you'll die just the same and won't be able to do your full DPS moving all the time.

I'm a Boomkin, but yes, I'd sacrifice some DPS. I can survive a 10 stack, if I'm at 70%+ hp but that's getting into dangerous territory.

We only have one Hunter (if he shows up) and we don't seem to do much with using him to cheese mechanics, sadly.

Characters
  • Options
    If you don't learn by reading very well, and let's be honest the Dungeon Journal is shit and doesn't show every ability, then FatBoss videos are the way to go on Youtube. I use them to bone up on Mythic fights.

• Options
    AdvocateAdvocate Registered User regular
    Personally my group uses two hunters to bounce it between them and get rid of the brand, just like they suggest in the fatboss video. I have no idea what we'll do in the last phase as we can't make it past the third...

By the way how do you guys handle the exploding adds from the second intermission?

• Options
    Have a Boomkin and Shaman AOE-ing them down to trim their numbers so they don't all explode at once.

Characters
  • Options
    Monk kites them around until Imperator is dead.

• Options
    Hmm our raid leader has the tanks and a dps try to single target them down and after the phase ends kill them all with a disc priest bubble up.

Sometimes we just all get blown up though.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Bigity wrote: »
    Derrick wrote: »
    So can someone explain how the garrison missions work in terms of highmaul missions? Because my mage is ilvl 662 and I keep getting missions for 645 gear. Not helpful. My druid, on the other hand, has never set foot in a normal or heroic raid, and he gets the 670 highmaul cache missions.

Any idea why that would be?

Follower ilevel maybe?

Does the Druid have more 645+ ilvl followers than your mage? I got a highmaul garrison mission not long after I had a third follower at 645+ ilvl.

Doesn't the level or reward also correspond to how many bosses on each difficulty you've killed?

You get Highmaul raid mission every 2.5 weeks if you have 2+ followers that are 645+ ilvl.

Contents are based on highest difficulty you have killed 15 bosses on repeats of same boss count, so could be 15 weeks of Kargath or 2.5 weeks of full raid).

If none, you get lfr quality.
    If lfr, you get normal.
    If normal, heroic.
    If heroic, mythic.
    If mythic, mythic + 1000g.

Slot is random and can be anything except tabard or shirt

It's also worth noting that, at least currently, missions that directly reward gear tokens (i.e. not the highmaul cache) only go to 645 and they don't just stop giving you lower level gear once you cross an ilvl threshold. You'll still keep getting 630's, 615's and the occasional 600 and 610 shit, long after you no longer need them.

Or, you know, long before you need them too; pretty much all of my alliance characters (94's and 95's) already have tons of the 645/630/615 tokens, they'll be pretty well geared the second they hit 100. :rotate:

This was my warrior. I had her to level 94 for a long time when playing my main. By the time I dusted her off for her run to 100 she had full set of 630 tolkens and hit 100 and immediately got a 645 weapon. Its worth playing alts up to 94-95 and just run garrison stuff with them once a night even if you don't plan to play them much it makes the dungeon/raid gearing a lot smoother.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Advocate wrote: »
    Hmm our raid leader has the tanks and a dps try to single target them down and after the phase ends kill them all with a disc priest bubble up.

Sometimes we just all get blown up though.

This is probably because tanks all have uncontrollable AOE as part of their standard rotation. It's really hard.

I watched a Heroic kill the other day where they did the kiting. It worked really well.

• Options
    How long do you kite them for? Just until Intermission is over and then kill them?

Characters
  • Options
    Personally my group uses two hunters to bounce it between them and get rid of the brand, just like they suggest in the fatboss video. I have no idea what we'll do in the last phase as we can't make it past the third...

By the way how do you guys handle the exploding adds from the second intermission?

The tanks put on as much hurt as they can to stagger out the explosions.

Traditionally we have healers save healing cooldowns like Power Word Barrier and Tranquility and just pop two of those as we remove them. Very little experience on heroic for this though.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    'everybody take responsibility' is easy to say but usually not the simplest way to actually complete an encounter

like, if a small number of people doing the mechanic correctly can obviate the need for everybody to do it, that's a good idea

phase four forces people to be more accountable, but you're also so spread out in that phase that it kind of gets handled on its own

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I don't understand someone just spends the rest of the fight kiting adds?

Advocate on
  • Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    Any group doing normals ever had a healer try and do one of the flamethrowers on brackenspore? We usually run about 14 people and 3 healers, and as a druid I was wondering if I could do that AND still heal enough.

• Options
    I don't understand a monk just spends the rest of the fight kiting adds?

Yep.

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Nobody wrote: »
    Quical wrote: »
    Nobody wrote: »
    Quical wrote: »
    So I rejoined WoW. Haven't got Warlords yet but am playing through pandaria - haven't done it before. Level 90 already but still feel like going through all the quests and collecting toys and things. Had to be WoW over ff14 as my friends started it up again too, feeling like a good choice so far.

One issue though. I don't know if people have had this, i tried googling it and found nothing.
    I run a GTX750TI 2GB edition and an AMD FX6300 Black edition cpu. Way more than needed to play WoW. I play on high settings and a locked 60fps. YET recently in an area in pandaria, when i have stood in two locations, I've had, for seemingly no reason, a drop to 30fps and my GPU running at 100%. A flick back to the home screen and my whole computer is running slow, it recommends i switch to windows 7 basic. But it's only in these couple of areas when i'm facing a certain way. I turned around and faced the opposite direction, back up to 60fps, face the original way again, straight back to 30fps. I lowered the draw distance to as low as possible and that seemed to fix it but why would this be happening? I'm away from my pc so can't get screenshots but it seems very odd, i should never have my whole pc running slow because of WoW, so what gives? Has anyone else had this problem?

Out of curiosity where does it happen? I've had it happen a couple of times and it had to do with looking towards an area that had heavy phasing involved with it.

The area West of the depressed village with all of the rain. I forget the name of it! Seemed to happen in two different places but both times I was looking the same direction.

That's the general area just north of the operation shieldwall zone, so that may be the problem...does it also happen at the eventual Horde base?

I haven't got that far but if it's nearby then yes it does.

Edit:
    Here are two pictures showcasing one of the areas I was able to replicate it. When i stand in THIS SPOT in picture one, my gpu gets MAXED OUT, whole computer runs slow and hot, and frame rate drops to as low as 22 fps (in pic it is 30fps)
    oe48vmbmhwp9.jpg

But then, turn the camera to the right a little, as seen in picture two, and it's back up to 60fps. Turn it back to where it is in picture 1, back to 30fps.
    f7fobg0uk360.jpg

Really bizarre, no idea what causes it, and this happens in a few places around this forest. It's not just me?

Quical on
    NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options

Yep.

Presumably the Brewmaster? Seems messy when it comes time to tank swap. Though one must admit that Imperator's tank swap mechanic is beautifully easy to exploit with volley of taunts.
    Nyht wrote: »
    Any group doing normals ever had a healer try and do one of the flamethrowers on brackenspore? We usually run about 14 people and 3 healers, and as a druid I was wondering if I could do that AND still heal enough.

For probably our first ten kills I, as a discipline priest, did flamethrower duty.

We've since rotated a restoration druid into my spot as it appears that "Burning Infusion" increases healing but not absorbs. Which is like 60%+ of my healing not being improved.

In other words it is very viable. You just need to understand the ebb and flow of the fight. Whenever a mushroom that is critical is up (any blue mushroom, green mushrooms during infesting spores) you must forsake your duty and heal. That's okay. Time it right and you'll be cooling down the flamethrower during these times anywho.

• Options
    The Brewmaster is a third tank who only tanks at that point in time. The two real tanks are a warrior and paladin, so tank swapping isn't an issue as the BM runs around the room.

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular

Yep.

Presumably the Brewmaster? Seems messy when it comes time to tank swap. Though one must admit that Imperator's tank swap mechanic is beautifully easy to exploit with volley of taunts.

Why? The other two tanks swap as normal while the third tank just runs around for 10 minutes picking up the adds.

If you kill the first set the third tank is free to take mark of chaos in phase 3 if that's how you want to handle it. The first set are not that dangerous. It's the set that's up with the reaver that causes most problems (less interrupts on war mages if you prioritise the reaver means much much higher raid damage). The third tank is nice for phase 4 too as you can kill the anomaly then have him pick up the mini adds there too which saves a ton of healing and allows more damage on the boss.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Yay, just got ilevel 635 thanks to crappy drops (still got a 615 weapon :().

I got my PG weapon upraded to 630 then the VERY first heroic I did at 100 the FIRST boss dropped a 630 weapon.

And I was more than halfway to a 630 crafted too.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    the PG weapon can upgrade to 640 too

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    pfft. read the hotfixes from the 13th. Lets nerf monks more! Meanwhile on the 12th's hotfixes frost DK's get a buff, ret gets a buff, balance gets a buff. Priest shields get nerfed across the board when it only needed to/should have been disc (fuck shadow amirite?). Warlocks and mages get weird crit buffs that wont't do much because the rest of the specs are broken. From a PvP perspective these make almost 0 sense, and from PvE very little more.

5 days left on my sub and if i log in it will be because my wife wants me to do something specific with her. They must have found a different way to randomly pick buffs/nerfs than the old dartboard. I'm guessing there has to be some intern-cagefighting bets going on between devs or something.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Erm, whats being nerfed on monk?

The new 6.1 changes seem to be an overall buff to monks.

• Options
    KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    Yeah, they ran out of stuff to nerf, windwalkers are pretty much the bottom dps for single target already. Meanwhile, our mage and warlock overlords are back. Nothing's changed from MoP. Why did I ever imagine it would be worthwhile to play melee over a tank.

I'd love to switch main, but there's a bit too much gear on my character already. Also, stupid legendary quest :\

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Eh. Catch-up on the Legendary Quest probably won't be too bad.

I wonder if they'll let Foundry Bosses drop Abrogator Stones?

I could probably have my three characters with the 690 ring by February 3rd. It is pretty easy to do LFR in under an hour. That being said I need some better podcasts if I am going to go that route.

Something about this LFR just feels like a waste of time that saps my will to play the game at all. Which is fine. I just dun' do it.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    LFR just isn't that fun for me. I like mechanics. I like the possibility of failure. The current LFR is just like punching a clock- pay your time and pick up your gear.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

PG weapon? You got me with the acronym.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options

PG weapon? You got me with the acronym.

proving grounds.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Derrick wrote: »
    LFR just isn't that fun for me. I like mechanics. I like the possibility of failure. The current LFR is just like punching a clock- pay your time and pick up your gear.

It's like I said yesterday. LFR isn't raiding.

Raiding is about multiple parts of a cohesive whole group performing different roles correctly and adapting their role to each individual encounter. You have to take into account the mechanics of each fight, you have to communicate well, and you have to play well. Coordinating all that, with the communication especially, and learning the intricacies of each individual encounter - that's raiding.

Not a single thing I said above applies to LFR. You literally show up and follow a horde and just zerg anything with a health bar. The first Highmaul LFR I did, the week it came out, both tanks got locked outside the room when the group pulled Brackenspore. They got him to 15% before they finally succumbed to having no tanks at all.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    And yet people still wipe on stuff.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Arthil wrote: »

not in highmaul they don't

in MoP LFRs, yeah, but they were much better/harder/whatever

• Options
    Keemossi wrote: »
    Windwalkers are pretty much the bottom dps for single target already.

You either don't have gear or aren't very good at WW because I have consistently seen WW thrash the meters in single-target fights, way ahead of anyone else, just yesterday.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »

not in highmaul they don't

in MoP LFRs, yeah, but they were much better/harder/whatever

While I've never experienced it, I did get into a high maul LFR that definitely had the fail buff for one boss.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I'm not even sure how you manage to fail unless you get all the tanks locked out.

I did all the LFRs yesterday in less than an hour.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Keemossi wrote: »
    Windwalkers are pretty much the bottom dps for single target already.

You either don't have gear or aren't very good at WW because I have consistently seen WW thrash the meters in single-target fights, way ahead of anyone else, just yesterday.

Windwalker aren't total bottom of the pack, but they aren't the beasts they were a month ago any more. They're solidly average to below average on single target now. Part of the problem is constant nerfs, and part is that leather gear is horrifically itemized in Highmaul. Windwalkers want all that Multistrike, and leather gear this raid is basically crit and haste or go home.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    This LFR thang, do you have to do something in proving grounds or have a certain ilevel to participate?

• Options
    Mythic Kargath down! \o/

Now to try and beat the second Mythic boss: Heroic Imperator.

Characters
This discussion has been closed.