Options

[Superheroes] It's the end of the world as we know it

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Think of it as, I guess, rather than the Marvel universe being composed out of all of these alternate realities

It's now composed out of all these countries

So like, Spider-Man and Luke Cage and Mr. Fantastic all live in the Sovereign City State of New York

And maybe Moon Knight, Ye Olde Daredevil, and Alternate Heroic Doctor Doom live in Great Britain

And then they mostly stay put

But sometimes they move around, some more than others

You know, like those some do with alternate realities now

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Is this going to negatively affect comics like Hawkeye and Ant-man and Squirrel Girl

That's all I really care about

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    There is an actual 0% chance that Battleworld will be the only planet in the universe by the end of Secret Wars, or at least by Issue #1 of whatever's next

if I'm wrong I will buy a hat and eat it

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The thing I don't like about events is they fuck up the stories I already like and want to continue reading as they are

Suddenly they become about some other thing that I don't know where it comes from or what it is and I don't really care

This sounds like the biggest version of that possible and it sounds like exactly what I don't want

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    "trying to be normal" does not apply in a fundamental shift like that. I mean, the stuff they're talking about is singularity level stuff. There wouldn't be such a thing as "normal." There would be no reason. There would be no ability.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I am absolutely certain that no matter how big Secret Wars is, it is not going to derail successful and critically acclaimed books like Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, etc. in any appreciable way

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    Is this going to negatively affect comics like Hawkeye and Ant-man and Squirrel Girl

Every

Comic

Is

Involved

All of them

For the next Year

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options

Every

Comic

Is

Involved

All of them

For the next Year

Well fart on this then!

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular

There is no reason it should

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Like I was just reading through Captain Marvel and Guardians of the Galaxy and suddenly both of them for 2 issues were about some giant space battle that literally comes out of nowhere and derails every single plotline and was not remotely relevant

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

Every

Comic

Is

Involved

All of them

For the next Year
    Except you have no idea what stories they will be telling

what is Moon Knight is just Moon Knight except he fights 1602 Bushwacker

or Ms. Marvel is still going to school but now her class has characters from the Ultimate Universe in it, including Miles Morales

you are assuming the worst, which is dumb

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I am absolutely certain that no matter how big Secret Wars is, it is not going to derail successful and critically acclaimed books like Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, etc. in any appreciable way

Yeah, this sort of thing happens in comics

There might be like, one or two weird issues that are about things

But for the vast majority of existing properties, shit ain't gonna change

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Like I was just reading through Captain Marvel and Guardians of the Galaxy and suddenly both of them for 2 issues were about some giant space battle that literally comes out of nowhere and derails every single plotline and was not remotely relevant

I hate stuff like that because for someone only causally into reading comics, it makes it really hard to follow some of these stories that go across multiple different people.

Especially digitally since they sometimes don't tell you which other comic to read next instead of just the next issue of the run you are reading.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    The only forcible change to books like Ant-Man and Daredevil is that they probably will be back in NYC since that is the 616 Incursion Zone

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Looking at the issues included in the Secret Wars Prelude trade Marvel's putting out in April
    One of them is Fantastic Four 611, the final issue of Hickman's run

Is future Valeria coming back??

• Options
    The Trial of Jean Gray may have been even more irritating because it involved the characters but if you just read Guardians you only get half the story

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Basically I hope this goes well

But marvels events have been pretty inconsistent about tie in quality lately so I am deeply worried

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Well this is all a bizarre thing to walk into

I think

I think I could definitely dig it being the new normal for a little while, though?

I mean eventually I think I'd want to see good ol Earth returning and everything more or less getting back to normal

But for a little while Battleworld being the setting could be cool

• Options
    The idea that like, inner city New York can just kind of try to be normal and pretend things aren't a totally fucked alternate reality a few blocks away is kind of silly.

Like, these aren't just all alternate reality civilian cities or anything.

Some of them are like... the domain of Apocalypse and Murderworld

• Options

I think

I think I could definitely dig it being the new normal for a little while, though?

I mean eventually I think I'd want to see good ol Earth returning and everything more or less getting back to normal

This is by far the most likely scenario

Battleworld will be the new norm for a year or two

then the old Universe returns but is now MARVEL EARTH-001 and all of the most popular and successful alt-universe bits and characters are incorporated into it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'd say I totally called the Ultimate Universe being the final incursion, but I think everyone else did too :biggrin:

Anywho, it's a bold move to stick with this insane new status quo going forward. Not sure how I feel about it, other than it seems like it's going to be disruptive as hell. I do think we're going to see Marvel lose a ton of readers over this, and it doesn't look like the kind of thing that'll attract new readers.

I do like how this is basically Marvel's way of fixing One More Day without outright undoing it. :biggrin:

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    The only forcible change to books like Ant-Man and Daredevil is that they probably will be back in NYC since that is the 616 Incursion Zone

I bet that they will actually time jump ahead to after Secret Wars is over

much like what happened back with the original Secret Wars in the 80s

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    The idea that like, inner city New York can just kind of try to be normal and pretend things aren't a totally fucked alternate reality a few blocks away is kind of silly.

It isn't a few blocks away though

Battleworld is an entire planet

People in New York trying to live normal lives despite having multiple nations/areas run by murderous supervillains is literally the normal status quo

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Basically I hope this goes well

But marvels events have been pretty inconsistent about tie in quality lately so I am deeply worried

For me, the tie-ins have been better than the actual events as of late. The exception of course being Infinity, and since Secret Wars is Hickman's baby...

• Options
    I do like how this is basically Marvel's way of fixing One More Day without outright undoing it. :biggrin:

I can't even

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

I think

This is by far the most likely scenario

Battleworld will be the new norm for a year or two

then the old Universe returns but is now MARVEL EARTH-001 and all of the most popular and successful alt-universe bits and characters are incorporated into it

Yeah, this would be ideal

Especially if it meant like, getting Miles or Spider-Gwen into the mainline universe

Or both!

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    It's not really all that different to the normal 616 Earth. It already had the savage land, Atlantis, that time everyone in NY got spider powers etc etc etc. It's not that big a change.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Well I guess we see how Marvel's NYC Offices sees the fly-over states now.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options

People in New York trying to live normal lives despite having multiple nations/areas run by murderous supervillains is literally the normal status quo

Yeah but it's not like, they have to worry about supervillains running a post apocalyptic New Jersey or anything.

Supervillain controlled nations are usually a bit farther away and so it's easy to tell stories that seem like they might take place in a semi-normal world because of that. Like those places exist, if the story requires them, but they aren't right outside the city.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Well I guess we see how Marvel's NYC Offices sees the fly-over states now.

:hydra:

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Wait I thought Secret Wars was only going to last 5 months?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options

Yeah but it's not like, they have to worry about supervillains running a post apocalyptic New Jersey or anything.

Supervillain controlled nations are usually a bit farther away and so it's easy to tell stories that seem like they might take place in a semi-normal world because of that. Like those places exist, if the story requires them, but they aren't right outside the city.

Do we know that they will be right outside the city now?

Because that seems like a pretty big assumption from where I'm sitting.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    It's not really all that different to the normal 616 Earth. It already had the savage land, Atlantis, that time everyone in NY got spider powers etc etc etc. It's not that big a change.

there is no way that is true.

Having an entire planet deleted around you is a big deal.

for instance, new york city is not self sufficient.

Langly on
  • Options
    Also, the real world New Jersey is pretty much a post apocalyptic hellscape run by a supervillain

So yeah, actually

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular

New York has always existed with New Jersey right over there, something like Murderworld or Apocalypseland would barely raise an eyebrow.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    so where is pakistan

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Furu wrote: »
    you guys are reading into it wrong

battleworld is not the "new normal" but whatever universe comes out of secret wars is going to use elements from everything that made up Battleworld

This makes more sense

it seems like kind of a really bad idea to just have 1000 versions of every character running around and not even need to have plot magic get them together

I assume there will be some kind of culling

like, perhaps, some sort of war?

perhaps a secret one?

• Options
    Sorry for being dense but what happens to the galactic stuff if everything's about "Battleworld"

Will the Guardians be trapped on Earth? Where do all the other races go?

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

Do we know that they will be right outside the city now?

Because that seems like a pretty big assumption from where I'm sitting.

Two of the places immediately outside Manhattan are still "classified", but aside from that they're pretty much immediately next to "The City", High Avalon, and the Eye of Agamotto

I'd be willing to bet at least one of those two classified zones are total shitholes though

This discussion has been closed.