Options

[Superheroes] It's the end of the world as we know it

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The personable, grounded stories are pretty much what I'm here for at this point

So from that point of view, having them take place on Battleworld is at best a move that will maybe have a minimally invasive effect upon them

But I literally can't think of a single way I want the books I am reading to interact with Secret Wars in any way

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    "reboots" in the comic book world tend to mean retcons and do-overs of previous continuity and throwing old continuity out and starting over from scratch, at least in part if not wholly

New 52 is a reboot. the Ultimate Universe was a reboot. Crisis on Infinite Earths was a reboot. Heroes Reborn, which was a disaster, was nonetheless an attempted reboot.

this is why Blank keeps slamming his tiny dinosaur fists on the desk and yelling this is not a reboot, because there is no indication that they are throwing out old Marvel 616 continuity or redoing it from scratch

Marvel NOW was not a reboot, it was a relaunch, meaning a lot of their titles got rebranded and cleaned up and given a makeover to make them a little more accessible to new readers, but they didn't just start them over

there is, however, a lot of indications that after this storyline, elements and characters from other universes will get folded into 616 Marvel, either as "dimensional refugees" (kinda like Nate Grey or Dark Beast are already dimensional refugees from the Age of Apocalypse universe) or due to some kind of cosmic shenanigans, those characters will get integrated into 616 Marvel as if they had "always been there" or are new characters "native" to that continuity.

Miles Morales is a good example of a character who is likely to be treated this way. The Ultimate Universe is likely not gonna survive this event as an imprint, but Miles is way too big a character to just go down with it. So, chances are Miles is gonna end up a 616 Marvel character. Whether Miles is going to end up a refugee of the Ultimate Universe or he's gonna end up being "616 Miles" due to some kind of shenanigans, who knows, but, that is likely what will happen.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    They're so tiny

they can only slam so hard

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I don't see the point of folding miles or gwen into 616, why not just let them be their own series

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    The idea that like, inner city New York can just kind of try to be normal and pretend things aren't a totally fucked alternate reality a few blocks away is kind of silly.

Like, these aren't just all alternate reality civilian cities or anything.

Some of them are like... the domain of Apocalypse and Murderworld

Ontario has gotten along fine for decades and Detroit is right there, same difference.

Hiyooo

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Pony, you are good people.

• Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    I don't see the point of folding miles or gwen into 616, why not just let them be their own series
    Because, historically, series that are part of the "real" Marvel Universe are more successful and have more readers

There's a reason that the Ultimate Universe has been dying off, even with great talent being put on it and multiple pushes

Comic readers are dumb and want stories that "matter".

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    We've already seen the future of the Marvel universe in Hickman's Avengers during the Original Sin tie-in issues.
    Earth was still there, and in normal condition (well, as normal as a world in the Marvel U can be) and Franklin mentions the multiverse, so we know that other universes will continue to exist.
    Actually I'm betting the Avengers World he shows Steve and co. IS Battleworld

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    i'm going to stop thinking about this until the comics i like are released and are or are not fucked up by this

This is the smart thing to do.

At the very least people should wait for solicits before freaking the fuck out.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    The idea that like, inner city New York can just kind of try to be normal and pretend things aren't a totally fucked alternate reality a few blocks away is kind of silly.

Like, these aren't just all alternate reality civilian cities or anything.

Some of them are like... the domain of Apocalypse and Murderworld
    It isn't a few blocks away though

Battleworld is an entire planet

People in New York trying to live normal lives despite having multiple nations/areas run by murderous supervillains is literally the normal status quo

Yeah but it's not like, they have to worry about supervillains running a post apocalyptic New Jersey or anything.

Supervillain controlled nations are usually a bit farther away and so it's easy to tell stories that seem like they might take place in a semi-normal world because of that. Like those places exist, if the story requires them, but they aren't right outside the city.

Do we know that they will be right outside the city now?

Because that seems like a pretty big assumption from where I'm sitting.

http://www.comicbookcrusaders.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Secret-Wars-Battleworld-Map-Revealed1.jpg

This is the map of battleworld

New York is the only thing from 616

On all sides is weird other universe stuff

It looks like its borded by the Ultimate Universe city built by Reed Richards that consumed all of Europe so
    The City became peaceful and content to just exist within its own borders by the end of Ultimates soooo

Im saying that there is most definetly weird shit right outside New Yorks border
    Yes but that doesn't mean that OH NO NOTHING WILL BE THE SAME EVER AGAIN

San Francisco had a literal mutant island nation and a sleeping Celestial living in it, and it continued to be San Francisco

Manhattan will still be Manhattan

besides weird shit happened to Manhattan literally all the time even before this

Spider-Island, anyone?

Or Thanos and a massive alien fleet invading?

none of those are comparable situations.
    I'd say literally everyone in Manhattan being changed into a monstrous Spider-Person is pretty comparable

it isn't, because that was a short lived story, and the entirety of existence continued outside of new york during it.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

I mean, at least for me, I think a Miles-Gwen team up book would be a lot of fun

I can't think of any merit to it besides that, though

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Man, I would not want to be next door to the Eye of Agamatto. Weird shit happens there:

twfdr2z7u72i.jpg

m5n0d0dbq986.jpg

• Options
    The personable, grounded stories are pretty much what I'm here for at this point

So from that point of view, having them take place on Battleworld is at best a move that will maybe have a minimally invasive effect upon them

But I literally can't think of a single way I want the books I am reading to interact with Secret Wars in any way
    I mean, and I don't intend this to be snarky, but that's why you aren't writing the book

I am fully confident in Jeff Lemire, Nick Spencer, G. Willow Wilson and whoever is writing Moon Knight at that time, being able to come up with fun, exciting ways to tell the stories they want to tell while also involving Battleworld

I used it before, but Ultimate Universe kids, like MILES PLEASE MARVEL PLEASE, joining Kamala's school is a good hypothetical

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    look, everything started going downhill as soon as loki tricked the hulk

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Midnite wrote: »
    We've already seen the future of the Marvel universe in Hickman's Avengers during the Original Sin tie-in issues.
    Earth was still there, and in normal condition (well, as normal as a world in the Marvel U can be) and Franklin mentions the multiverse, so we know that other universes will continue to exist.
    Actually I'm betting the Avengers World he shows Steve and co. IS Battleworld

But that was the meta-past future, the meta-future future is still up in the air.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Like I can waste my energy getting upset now

Or I can wait and see if something like Black Widow is so irreversibly changed that an issue's most emotionally resonant moment can't be just a cat getting let inside

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Moon Knight in particular sounds like a fantastic Secret Wars book

He was already fighting off weird shit in New York by night

Now the entirety of Battleworld is available for the writer to pull weird shit from

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

I would actually say that Gwen's alternate universe where things are just slightly different is a huge part of what makes her interesting

• Options
    While I still don't hate this idea, I am sort of uh

concerned

About the idea that billions of people are dead because they're not living in New York

I mean the whole incursion storyline to this point has been about entire universes dying. We are well past the billions point.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    They're so tiny

Blank IRL:

tumblr_lmy7sfRRoZ1qkad1po1_500.gif

• Options
    Meanwhile, the AV Club Newswire continues to be super shitty and dismissive about comics

god all their Fake Sean O'Neals are so awful

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    to be honest i would be interested in seeing a secret wars story not set in battleworld

if the majority of 616's heroes and villains are in New York

...but not all

what's uh

what's going on

on the rest of Earth

are people losing their shit

what's going over on the west coast

etc.

• Options
    if the rest of earth is safely somewhere else I hope black panther is set there and is like "fucking finally" and wakanda enters a new age of peace

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Pony wrote: »
    to be honest i would be interested in seeing a secret wars story not set in battleworld

...but not all

what's uh

what's going on

on the rest of Earth

etc.
    They are doing nothing, probably, because they are all dead

Unless there is some sort of mass teleport/evac that gets everyone on Earth into the incursion zone, everything and everyone outside of Manhattan has been wiped from existence

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015

...but not all

what's uh

what's going on

on the rest of Earth

etc.

in this scenario as far as we know they do not exist. they are dead.

Langly on
  • Options

Or I can wait and see if something like Black Widow is so irreversibly changed that an issue's most emotionally resonant moment can't be just a cat getting let inside

I don't know are people actually like, upset over this, or expending any energy?

We're just discussing what we know so far, and going "nobody talk about this until we know more because we can't agree on anything" is silly

• Options
    Why does every comic have to be in a certain universe

Can't Gwen Stacy just be this cool What If? thing

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The rest of the world thinks 'oh shit, New York is gone!'

New York comes back along with Battleworld, 'oh shit, New York is back!'

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, the AV Club Newswire continues to be super shitty and dismissive about comics

Oh man, the one offhand comment in the comments.
    It doesn't seem right that Groot 's comics are printed on the ground up remains of his family

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options

I don't know are people actually like, upset over this, or expending any energy?

We're just discussing what we know so far, and going "nobody talk about this until we know more because we can't agree on anything" is silly

yeah

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Because nerds.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

I just want to read squirrel girl

I dont want to read squirrel girl but now she is FIGHTING FOR HER LIFE IN A ALTERNATE WORLD AND NOTHING IS THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just give me Squirrel Girl, College Student, can talk to squirrels, sometimes weird people show up
    Well considering she lives in New York

and New York is in Battleworld

she will probably be living her realtively normal life while crazy shit happens around her

like, you are assuming every story will be END OF THE UNIVERSE FIGHT FOR OUR LIIIIVES when I imagine most characters are just going to go YO FUCK THIS I AM STAYING HOME AND TRYING TO BE NORMAL

This is literally not possible with the setup described

say you're a victorian england citizen

now there are aliens and gods and electricity

right over there

you cannot now be 'normal'

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    They're so tiny

That's what she said.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I'll wait until we see more about this, but the pitch of this being long-term doesn't appeal to me at all.

• Options

It's a shame because all the comic book content Oliver Sava does there is awesome.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I'm sure she will still be a rad character in the "main" universe, but I think a lot of the impact will be lessened by not having the benefit of her slightly bizarro world setting to play off of.

• Options

...but not all

what's uh

what's going on

on the rest of Earth

etc.
    They are doing nothing, probably, because they are all dead

Unless there is some sort of mass teleport/evac that gets everyone on Earth into the incursion zone, everything and everyone outside of Manhattan has been wiped from existence

what

that's

what

so when this event is over are they just gonna bring the world back to life or does the Marvel universe just not take place on Earth anymore or what

• Options
    let's see what latveria can do now that the fantastic four are gone

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    god the remains of earth 616 with all new york heroes gone sounds way more interesting than the battleworld

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

Because cool what if? things sell really poorly

Comics are a business, they've gotta make money

That one issue of Spider-Verse is the first one-off alternate universe thing that has been a major success since

well

I can remember at all

Sales-wise, anything that isn't the "Real" universe has done notably worse than its 616 counterpart

The Ultimate Universe is a prime example, it started out hugely successful and then tapered off over the years and eventually became a death spiral that even massive pushes with great talent couldn't save. Only Miles Morales remained successful.

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.