As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX to the Future! (PRE-PAX Boardgame Night at the Westin!)

rtm416rtm416 NYRegistered User regular
edited March 2015 in PAX East
Pre-PAX Board Game Night at the Westin Boston Waterfront!
Don't forget your FLUXX capacitor!

WHAT: Board games of course! This is a coordinated, open for all-ages, free, and insanely fun event for anybody that wants to bring their games, or play games with others!

HISTORY: (Taken from Prime 2014 Post)
This event is not hosted, endorsed, or sponsored by Penny Arcade or by any professional group or company other than the (Westin).

Back in the day, when PAX was wee, there was no coordinated game night meetup on PAXmas eve. Folks who were staying at the hotels would naturally just gravitate to the lobbies to play games. After a few years, people started to pre-organize these informal meet ups on the forums but it was still small enough that they didn't need to work with the hotels - everyone would just meet in the bar or lobby and have a game night to pass the evening.

Of course, this quickly became a popular idea, and the size of the event started to create problems with the hotel staff and management. At both EAST and PRIME, there were conflicts with hotel staff and issues with fire code violations, and complaints from other guests. It was creating bad juju for us PAXers, and setting a tone of frustration and contention with the hotel bar staff and managers for the weekend.

About 3 years ago, (LexiconGrrl) started to voluntarily work with hotel management to provide us with an approved space to game. Citing the logic of "This is going to happen whether you want it to or not, so let's corral it and make sure it's safe and cuddly for everyone!", we successfully built relationships with the hotel management and got a bigger, more comfy space in the deal.

The hotel on the other hand, expects a good take from the bar and restaurant in exchange for the free space, tables, staff and setup that they provide. That's their justification. So you'll see lots of encouragement from the coordinator to purchase generously while you're there. They're not compensated in any way for the event and are under no obligation to host it for us, so a good bar and restaurant take that evening is a pretty great deal for everybody, really.

So this is still an informal, attendee-driven meetup. It's free, and open to all ages, which is super important to me personally. The games are all just the games that you guys haul down to the lobby, and there's really no hosted structure persay. Last year (LexiconGrrl) implemented a better game matchup system to help people find games to play, but it's very simple.

This event has now become a PAX fixture, which is cool as all hell. Alternate game nights have started happening too, like the Marriott Long Wharf at East, or the swanky CTCC club event at Prime. Each event is unique, put together and hosted by forum volunteers, and provides its own experience to attendees. Something for everyone!

What makes PAX special above all other cons is the community. And having a community that grew an event like this organically, that is still very much a self-policed casual gathering is AMAZING. I <3 you guys and will do my best every year to make sure there's a place for you to game the night before.

WHERE: Westin Boston Waterfront Hotel, 425 Summer Street. Locations in the hotel listed under COOL SHIT.

WHEN: Thursday March 5, 4:00 PM until you are gamed out (Stupid Late, you crazy PAXers!) (Info Table closes at 2:00 AM)

COOL SHIT:
The Westin is pulling out all the stops this year (AGAIN!):
  • Ballroom Foyer: TBD #Seats, Dedicated bar & bartender
  • Mezzanine: 80 Gaming Seats, Dedicated bar & bartender
  • Cafe (under the mezzanine): 40 Gaming Seats, Hotel Lobby Bar available
  • Game and Gamer themed drinx and noshies will be on hand for purchase.
  • The Cookie Brigade will be present in Force (well, at a table). Don't forget to Support Child's Play! (Bakers: Cookie Dropoff here)
NOTE: The Mezzanine tables will be up all weekend for gaming fun, but they will be taken down at a time TBD Sunday night, as there is another event at the hotel Monday morning.
NOTE 2: SAUCIETY IS NO LONGER AN APPROVED AREA FOR GAMING! Food can be ordered through room service, at the Birch Bar, or from Starbucks.

THE RULES:
  • Obey Wheaton's Law, DON'T BE A DICK! This applies to everybody in all interactions!
  • The hotels usually give us amazing space and service for free. The best way to show your appreciation is to support the hotel bar and restaurant while you're there.
  • Be welcoming to anybody who may look lost or seems to be hanging around your area. Everybody wants to play!
  • No parties are allowed in the pool area.
  • Sauciety is a no-go. Alternative options are outlined in the above NOTE 2.

How It Works:

On the Thread
1. If you have games to bring, post what you plan to have on hand that night (please only post if you KNOW you will have it)
2. If you're looking to play a specific game, please post your request.

Once Present at the Hotel
1. Your coordinator for the night is rtm416. You can find him at the Information Table if you have any questions.
2. If you've got a game and are looking for players, put the box top of the game vertically on your table. This is the universal sign for "I don't care who you are, please join us"
3. If you're looking to join a game, look for vertical box tops.
4. Use the twitter hashtag #WestinTabletop to find or advertise games.
5. If you want to leave your game for checkout by other people, you can leave it at the check in table. Make sure you leave your contact information inside the box, since you might want to leave before your game does. DISCLAIMER: Although we strive to communicate the principles of respecting other peoples' property, leaving your games for checkout is AT YOUR OWN RISK. This is a volunteer event, and we don't police the crowd.

Game Matching Service:
Soooo everybody, it seems this is a tricky thing. HEre is the system that will be in place that night (suggestions for improvement are welcome)
1. Standing up box tops mean open spots, this is the quickest way if you just want to browse.
2. There will be a sheet at the Info Table with open games and the players requested, from beginner to expert.
  • Hosts can write their game and table number on the sheet
  • Gamers can look on the sheet and visit the table to join in
  • Hosts MUST send somebody back to the info table to cross off their game, this is to insure people don't go to full games hoping to join in.
Game Lending Library
This year there will be a library of loaned games at the Information Table. The Owner MUST have his/her contact information in the box. The Loaner will sign a game out with their name, table #, and contact info to allow for the safe return of games. When the Owner wants to leave, they should check the Library, then the Sign-Out Sheet. The Owner can check with the Loaner at the table and (if the Owner leaves) can contact them to facilitate the return of the game. The chain of possession looks something like this:
3. Owner
4. Information Table
5. Loaner
6. Repeat 2&3 until Owner Leaves OR Information Table closes; THEN if a game is still in possession of a Loaner, go to step 5.
7. Loaner contacts Owner and sets up safe return of game

I am not paid staff, but if a game is forgotten at the Lending Library I will contact you and find a time to return it. THIS IS ONLY FOR GAMES IN MY POSSESSION BECAUSE AN OWNER FORGOT A GAME AT THE LIBRARY, NOT FOR LOANED OUT GAMES. LOANED GAMES ARE THE LIABILITY OF THE LOANER AFTER THE OWNER LEAVES OR THE INFORMATION TABLE CLOSES.

Each game will have a # and a card with all contact information for the Owner included.

Q: Who are you and what have you done with LexiconGrrl? A: I'm rtm416, and I offered to help out as LexiconGrrl is unlikely to be at PAX East for this event :( .
Looks like I should just be TBD guy! Sorry =P

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!

Requested Games:
Cthulhu Wars
Ladies & Gentlemen
Super Dungeon Explorer
Frag
Dixit
Five Tribes

Available Games:
Oh My Gods! (This is a game on Kickstarter developed by a Bostonian! He will be there to "exhibit" his game!)
Superfight!
Star Fluxx
Wizard's Quest
Feudal
Werewolf
Cards Against Humanity Bigger, Blacker Box
Core Worlds with Galactic Orders Expansion
Eldritch Horror
Pandemic v2
Arkham Horror
The Resistance (x2)
X Wing Miniatures (w/ a bunch of wave 1 and 2 ships)
Geek Out
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Forbidden Desert
JS Joust
XCOM
7 Wonders & Babel Expansion
Settlers of Catan
Ticket to Ride Europe
Small World
Shadows over Camelot
Mass Effect Risk
Council of Verona
Warring Kingdoms
Attack the Darkness
Scotland Yard
Penny Arcade The Game - Gamers vs Evil
Munchkin
We didn't playtest this at all
We didn't playtest this either
Game of Thrones Board Game
Puerto Rico
Tammany Hall
Chaos in the Old World (with the expansion)
Geek Battle
Boss Monster
Harbor
5e D&D
Machi Koro
Dead of Winter
Sheriff Of Nottingham
Dread Curse
Libertalia
Space Cadets
Splendor
Tash Kalar
Nations
Monty Python Fluxx
Forbidden Island
Zombicide
Thunderstone
Battlestar Galactica (+expansions)
Firefly (+expansions)

SK3ozR5.png
rtm416 on

• Options
    ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Glad to see this! One of my favorite things at PAX. We'll likely be playing at least Dominion, looking to try Keyflower, Galaxy Truckers, or something else crazy. Hoping for some fun theme drinks :)

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Yes, I'm glad to see this again, also! It's the bet way to get exposed to games you've never heard of or games you've wanted to play but have never gotten around to.

• Options
    LordBraska1999LordBraska1999 Bahston, MARegistered User regular
    I'm so down!!!! I've got the new Battle tech and an old school rpg b oars game called mutant chronices siege of the citadel

• Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    This is one of my favorite parts of PAX and I can't wait for it again this year!

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    iltailta Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Thank you so, so much RTM for stepping up. The pre-PAX boardgame night is one of my favorite things about PAX East!

Games I'll be bringing:

- Core Worlds with Galactic Orders expansion (always a favorite)
    - X Wing Miniatures with a lot of Wave 1 and 2 ships (likewise)
    - +some number of others. The current short list just based on my looking around my collection: Innovation, Firefly, Fresco, Scoville, Belfort, Eminent Domain, Fief, Run Fight or Die, whatever else I backed on KS that shows up in the mail before March... any requests?

...and I still want to play Ladies & Gentlemen, which I didn't get to try out last year. I'd also love to try out Space Cadets (any of the versions).

Also, and this may be a weird request, but if anyone has or is planning to buy the Core Worlds Galactic Orders expansion and wants to get rid of the box, I'd love to take it off your hands. I'd even toss you a few bucks for your trouble. Reason: I consolidated into the base game box a few years back, but have since purchased an organizer sized for the larger CW:GO box. So currently Core Worlds is living in a Dominion box, which is a weird fit both in terms of depth and also in terms of theme, and I'd love to remedy that. I did contact the game manufacturer but they weren't into just sending an empty box.

ilta on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    ilta wrote: »
    Thank you so, so much RTM for stepping up. The pre-PAX boardgame night is one of my favorite things about PAX East!

Games I'll be bringing:

- Core Worlds with Galactic Orders expansion (always a favorite)
    - X Wing Miniatures with a lot of Wave 1 and 2 ships (likewise)
    - +some number of others. The current short list just based on my looking around my collection: Innovation, Firefly, Fresco, Scoville, Belfort, Eminent Domain, Fief, Run Fight or Die, whatever else I backed on KS that shows up in the mail before March... any requests?

...and I still want to play Ladies & Gentlemen, which I didn't get to try out last year. I'd also love to try out Space Cadets (any of the versions).

Also, and this may be a weird request, but if anyone has or is planning to buy the Core Worlds Galactic Orders expansion and wants to get rid of the box, I'd love to take it off your hands. I'd even toss you a few bucks for your trouble. Reason: I consolidated into the base game box a few years back, but have since purchased an organizer sized for the larger CW:GO box. So currently Core Worlds is living in a Dominion box, which is a weird fit both in terms of depth and also in terms of theme, and I'd love to remedy that.

Did you back Cthulhu Wars by chance?

EDIT: Also, I just put you down for core worlds and X wing, as the others may be decided by requests, or your personal choices later.

rtm416 on
    SK3ozR5.png
  • Options
    I didn't. Looks cool though!

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I'll be attending this year. I'll try to get my friend to lend me his Forbidden Island game, or just convince him to attend, too. It's a ton of fun.

If I have time, I'd be interested in some X-Wing. My friend and I have most of Waves 1-3.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Mavrick593Mavrick593 Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Depending on what time the event ends I hope to make it, though I am getting pretty late on Thursday. I'll have to see about what I can fit in my luggage as far as games go. Glad to see Eldritch Horror on the list already, love that game.

On a related note that I just want to throw out there... anyone have some extra floor space at the Westin (or Seaport or Renaissance) that wants to split their bill one more way :)? I'll bring snacks

Mavrick593 on
    My jiggy can not be contained.
    30krhv1btzuj.gif

• Options
    undagadaundagada Registered User regular
    I would love to see some D&D at Board Game Night this year. I can provide materials if needed. (My friend is our group's DM so he has everything but he wants someone else to DM)

• Options
    darksteelreaprdarksteelreapr Registered User regular
    I would like to try out some board games but I've never heard of any of these. How welcoming would people be to someone who has never played any of these games before?

• Options
    I would like to try out some board games but I've never heard of any of these. How welcoming would people be to someone who has never played any of these games before?

Usually quite welcoming, but come game night the sign-up sheet will have a rating based on the experience level of players the host prefers.

SK3ozR5.png
  • Options
    Ooh, experience level ratings are a nice innovation. Dark -- I think you'll find that many gamers will be very open to teaching someone. We do like to have more players after all! If you're looking for games to break into, then it's always a good bet to find something that is described as a "gateway game". These games are accessible and don't have a lot of arcane rules and mechanics. They will feel similar to games you have played, but way better.

There are many lists of these all over the place. Here's one fairly exhaustive list, though keep in mind that the most active people on BGG are more likely to be into deeper and/or newer games, and this skews the results somewhat.

Four evergreen choices to be on the look-out for are Settlers of Catan, the Ticket to Ride series, Carcasonne, and Pandemic. All of these are excellent.

• Options
    koolarookoolaroo Registered User regular
    I'm hoping to make it this year I will request the day off from work and most likely get it off but the deciding factor will be homework. If I do come I will bring Betrayal at House on the Hill.

• Options
    RappakRappak Registered User regular
    I wish i could make it. I'll be running the bar crawl so i will be missing it.

• Options
    ChimneyImpChimneyImp Shifty Eyes BostonRegistered User regular
    I'll be there.

Z04due2.png
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Rappak wrote: »
    I wish i could make it. I'll be running the bar crawl so i will be missing it.

This thing goes really late - if you're up for it, just come by afterward. There's always a group that shows up post-crawl.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    AmycusAmycus Registered User regular
    Hello friends! I'm hoping I'm posting this in the right place...I finally scored a room at the Westin for Thursday Night, more or less just so I can take part in this stuff =D

I have the Cards Against Humanity Bigger, Blacker Box that I'll be bringing along for sure. I'll be checking this thread every few days, and if I see interest, I'd be more than willing to pick up a copy of Settles of Catan to play. I'd love to get a game going of that. I'll be attending PAX with my fiancee this year and I'm hoping to drag her into some gaming =D

• Options
    ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    I will probably pop by to check it out...only problem is I've never played any table top games...well, I think I played CAH at a party once, and it was really fun. So I'm hoping there will be some open seats for us novice folks.

• Options
    The_MadHatter_The_MadHatter_ Registered User regular
    Can't wait for this! I had a great time last year playing Firefly. I'll keep an eye on requests to help decide which games I bring, although I know I'll have at last The Resistance and Werewolf since they're small and easy.

PSN ID, Steam: The_MadHatter_
  • Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    There are two older games that I have yet to see again since my AD&D DM owned when I was a teenager.
    They are;
    Wizard's Quest and Feudal
    Two really awesome games that I wish I could have gotten when he passed away. I've yet to see them since.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    There are two older games that I have yet to see again since my AD&D DM owned when I was a teenager.
    They are;
    Wizard's Quest and Feudal
    Two really awesome games that I wish I could have gotten when he passed away. I've yet to see them since.

eBay! I found the ST:TNG 3D chess set from 8th grade on there a few years ago...

• Options
    Forgot to mention I will also have Geek Out, which should be even more fun to play when you don't know where your opponents strengths and weaknesses are.

I'd also love to get a chance to play Dead of Winter at some point over the weekend.

• Options
    SwordnStoneSwordnStone Registered User regular
    I love this event! I'll be there all night with Betrayal at House on the Hill and Forbidden Desert. I'm always up for teaching new people, and playing games with more than the recommended number of players (9 people playing Betrayal at once last year) so don't be afraid to come hang out with me.

Quit now and cake will be served immediately.
  • Options
    declinedgruntdeclinedgrunt Virginia, USARegistered User new member
    I know that in the title it literally says "Board" games, but I was wondering if there was any room for a PC. I am thinking something emulated like Super Smash Bros. or something along those lines. I know it goes against what "Board Games" are, but just a question I had. Even if it is not allowed, I might show up if I make it up there by Thursday to play some games.

• Options
    cardkid123cardkid123 Registered User regular
    I know that in the title it literally says "Board" games, but I was wondering if there was any room for a PC. I am thinking something emulated like Super Smash Bros. or something along those lines. I know it goes against what "Board Games" are, but just a question I had. Even if it is not allowed, I might show up if I make it up there by Thursday to play some games.
    Board games can be anything tabletop. It can include card games and such. But I thing a pc is more than what can be supported in the Westin lobby.

• Options
    cardkid123 wrote: »
    Board games can be anything tabletop. It can include card games and such. But I thing a pc is more than what can be supported in the Westin lobby.

I have to agree. Perhaps a laptop, but a tower and a monitor would be far too large.

SK3ozR5.png
  • Options
    BashinterothBashinteroth NYCRegistered User regular
    get a couple people with tablets; my Nvidia shield runs pretty much any emulator flawlessly

• Options
    cardkid123cardkid123 Registered User regular
    A bunch of laptops or tablets would be fine, but I'm afraid there may be issues with people crowding over limited outlets that may be in the lobby. As long as your not being that guy that brings one of those 6 plug things and you are ok with your tablet or laptop just dying, then it should be ok.

• Options
    declinedgruntdeclinedgrunt Virginia, USARegistered User new member
    rtm416 wrote: »

I have to agree. Perhaps a laptop, but a tower and a monitor would be far too large.

I meant a laptop, should of specified that. I figured it was a long shot, but I thought I would ask.

• Options
    rtm416 wrote: »

I meant a laptop, should of specified that. I figured it was a long shot, but I thought I would ask.

Yeah, a Laptop should be ok. :)

SK3ozR5.png
  • Options
    JerkfishJerkfish NYCRegistered User regular
    Last year my buddy and I brought JS Joust and PS Move controllers and ran games in the downstairs area (past Sauciety and downstairs further). We're hoping to get the Joust kit together this year to do so again.

• Options
    DominoDomino Keizen Mikazuki New York, NYRegistered User regular
    I'm requesting Super Dungeon Explore because it's amazing and the set I have is broken :cry:

tFh5HdJ.png
  • Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have the new XCOM board game?

• Options
    Jerkfish wrote: »
    Last year my buddy and I brought JS Joust and PS Move controllers and ran games in the downstairs area (past Sauciety and downstairs further). We're hoping to get the Joust kit together this year to do so again.

Man, how did I miss that last year?! Please do it again this year.

• Options
    JerkfishJerkfish NYCRegistered User regular
    ilta wrote: »
    Man, how did I miss that last year?! Please do it again this year.

We were pretty tucked away and hidden. Considering the amount of space the game takes up, we didn't want to be a bother.

Good news is I just spoke with me friend and we'll have everything we need to run the game again this year! I'm hoping we can settle down in the same spot this year (past Sauciety and down the stairs by the hotel exit.)

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Fantastic, I will seek you out. That game looks so fun, like every warmup game I played in college theater classes.

ilta on
  • Options
    Jerkfish wrote: »

I can't believe I missed this last year. I absolutely love JS Joust, but unfortunately haven't been able to play with more than 4 people since I played in one of the BCEC hallways last East.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    Does anyone have the new XCOM board game?
    XCOM Board Game?! No way! Is it like X-Wing? That's all I can imagine.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    It's a strategy game actually -- co-op press your luck. Not tactical. Think more like the base management parts of the game, and the actual battles against aliens are abstracted. It's been pretty well received and I'm sure would be very welcome.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/163602/xcom-board-game