Options

[Hearthstone] THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    It should be emphasised that you can make decks competitive at the highest level with nothing more than a few rares in addition to the basic cards, if you like playing aggro style. Control will be less strong, but mage for instance has pretty powerful basic cards and I started playing control priest happily enough with very little cards. Mind control is slow and risky against aggro but incredibly strong against other control decks.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    The control part of control priest is actually quite cheap. The shadow words and mind control are basic, for example, and those are the biggest staples. The issue is priest doesn't really have strong in-class win conditions, so usually has to resort to neutral legendaries for that.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I definitely like the game enough to put some money into it. I've beaten all of Naxx (minus heroic), played around with arena, and got to rank 20 in constructed just to get the card back. I feel like I would play even more if I had a good deck going, but right now I'm just grinding dailies which isn't the most fun. It feels kind of bad to be winning a game, then get hit with a Ragnaros and a Sylvanas and just get shut down; that's just one example, but I find myself losing a lot to win conditions I just don't have the cards to stop.

Battle.net: ChubbyBunny#1452 | Steam: Bunny1248 | Xbox Live: CBunny1

My Digital Pin Lanyard || PAX East '13, '14, '15, '19 | PAX South '15
  • Options
    WillyDubWillyDub Registered User regular
    I hate Mages and there stupid flamestrikes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Yeah, I definitely like the game enough to put some money into it. I've beaten all of Naxx (minus heroic), played around with arena, and got to rank 20 in constructed just to get the card back. I feel like I would play even more if I had a good deck going, but right now I'm just grinding dailies which isn't the most fun. It feels kind of bad to be winning a game, then get hit with a Ragnaros and a Sylvanas and just get shut down; that's just one example, but I find myself losing a lot to win conditions I just don't have the cards to stop.

Generally speaking you don't stop a Ragnaros or the like so much as try to have won or effectively won before he can drop. Saving an answer for him means you didn't use one on another earlier card that could likely win the game for your opponent.

You should also be able to get to higher than 20 in ladder with just Naxx and whatever classic/GvG cards you have.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    I got sick of control warrior for the daily quest so I slapped together a weapon warrior. So much fun to hammer on the face with weapons every turn.

Yes. I have a face/value warrior deck that I played for a daily 5 win quest a couple of days ago and went 5-0 with it, somewhat unexpectedly. Granted I'm not super high rank or anything but it worked very well and was fun.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    I find that unless you are playing very particular decks you can get along without using legends or even epics just fine.

Priests and Mages both have very good default cards, with board clears, single-target uber removal... You can easily play a mage deck with polymorphs, fireballs, flamestrikes, blizzards or a priest deck with mind controls, shadow words and do quite well even into low double digits of the ladder.

I haven't actually finished Nax myself, nor have I spent money... and I find I am able to beat handlocks and other high-budget decks with regularity.

I'd work out a deck that you enjoy playing and tweak it as you win and lose...but mostly say just have fun without feeling you're limited by your card selection. You might be surprised how well you can do :)

• Options
    Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular

Generally speaking you don't stop a Ragnaros or the like so much as try to have won or effectively won before he can drop. Saving an answer for him means you didn't use one on another earlier card that could likely win the game for your opponent.

You should also be able to get to higher than 20 in ladder with just Naxx and whatever classic/GvG cards you have.

Oh sorry, I should specify: I stopped laddering at 20 because I just wanted the seasonal card backing.

Also, I'd love to just stick to mage and priest, but sometimes my dailies prohibit me from doing that and I don't have too much time to play, hence the "do I pay for cards?" dilemma.

Battle.net: ChubbyBunny#1452 | Steam: Bunny1248 | Xbox Live: CBunny1

My Digital Pin Lanyard || PAX East '13, '14, '15, '19 | PAX South '15
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular

Oh sorry, I should specify: I stopped laddering at 20 because I just wanted the seasonal card backing.

Also, I'd love to just stick to mage and priest, but sometimes my dailies prohibit me from doing that and I don't have too much time to play, hence the "do I pay for cards?" dilemma.

You know you can reroll a quest once per day right? Press the x in the top right corner on the quest screen. About 50% of the time at least I find I can at least get a neutral quest.

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »

You know you can reroll a quest once per day right? Press the x in the top right corner on the quest screen. About 50% of the time at least I find I can at least get a neutral quest.

That's 50% of the time you don't though!

I've thankfully gotten the point where I can cover almost every class daily combo except for one with a deck that isn't absolutely horrible but that took a while. And typically involves throwing in my golden Dr. Boom in an otherwise aggro deck.

The undertaker nerf has probably made a few of those decks more horrible though.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options

That's 50% of the time you don't though!

I've thankfully gotten the point where I can cover almost every class daily combo except for one with a deck that isn't absolutely horrible but that took a while. And typically involves throwing in my golden Dr. Boom in an otherwise aggro deck.

The undertaker nerf has probably made a few of those decks more horrible though.

Yeah but you can build up a backlog for a few days and be fine so you'll have a chance that one is useful to you and you'll get another chance to reroll!

• Options
    PacMan1979PacMan1979 Registered User regular
    So I mostly play Zoo Warlock in constructed. Is it still worth it to Keep Undertaker or are there better options now? I'm thinking If I take him out I should probably replace some of the other Deathrattles as well?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    there are no deathrattles that zoo runs right now that you want to replace, the deathrattle cards are in there because they have incredible value

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    They didn't put deathrattles into zoo because of undertaker, they put undertaker into zoo because of deathrattles

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    PacMan1979PacMan1979 Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Got it. Thanks. So should I leave Undetaker? Or is there a better value 1-Mana card to replace him with?

PacMan1979 on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    PacMan1979 wrote: »
    Got it. Thanks. So should I leave Undetaker? Or is there a better value 1-Mana card to replace him with?

Clearly you need to replace it with Elven Archer. Elven Archer is like a two for one against Gnome/Webspinner openings.

ChaosHat on
  • Options

If you grow him once, he's still a better card than any other 1 drop you could replace him with unless you really want spare parts.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    :so_raven:
    Undertaker is still pretty good in my experience.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited January 2015

Clearly you need to replace it with Elven Archer. Elven Archer is like a two for one against Gnome/Webspinner openings.

I'm not sure if this is joking, but Elven Archer is actually really sick anti-hunter tech for exactly that reason. You can eat their turn 1 and their turn 2 (assuming he drops another one-health minion, which happens a good amount of the time) which is tempo murder.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    LotharLothar Of The Hill People Hills, Hill CountryRegistered User regular
    Just watched a Trump video where his opponent played a Sneed's. He didn't have a silence, and when the Sneed's popped it brought out KT, which then brought back Sneed's. The snowballing effect of this was just painful to watch, even though I ultimately think he could have come back with a win. I'd never even considered the horror of having Sneed's -> KT.

If interested, the video is here. The madness starts around 16:24.

Currently Playing: ARK: Survival Evolved

Feel free to add me for Smash Bros or MH4!
    FC: 3668 - 8564 - 8516
  • Options
    Lothar wrote: »
    Just watched a Trump video where his opponent played a Sneed's. He didn't have a silence, and when the Sneed's popped it brought out KT, which then brought back Sneed's. The snowballing effect of this was just painful to watch, even though I ultimately think he could have come back with a win. I'd never even considered the horror of having Sneed's -> KT.

If interested, the video is here. The madness starts around 16:24.

*cough*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCIe97BC3Zc

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    I wish I had a Dr. Boom. I want a card that at minimum takes 2 cards to remove.

If it gets nerfed, will blizzard change the bombs to target either side or change his health to 4?

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    watch them make dr boom a 6/7 and everyone goes NO NO NO WHAT ARE YOU DOING THAT'S A BUFF

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    They'll probably just up boom's cost

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    watch them make dr boom a 6/7 and everyone goes NO NO NO WHAT ARE YOU DOING THAT'S A BUFF

Please let Blizzard be this stupid. Boom is the only Ladder Viable Legendary that I have.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Speaking of Dr. Boom, I found a golden ticket!
    waf2N91.png?1

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Make the bots' bombs able to target any character

problem solved

• Options
    KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    waf2N91.png?1

You have to make a Voltron Rogue deck! Don't dust it!

• Options
    MummBrahMummBrah Registered User regular
    re: Ancient of Lore

THAT CARD IS INSANE and most def one of the very best cards of any rarity, of any class, of any flavor in hearthstone

think about what you're getting:
    1. a 5/5 body that survives almost all AoE clears and can trade with just about every other minion in hs
    2. TWO FREE DRAWS on top of the excellent body

it is literally a value circus. like that card could be the exact same but only allow you one draw and it would STILL be godlike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    It's not really two free draws.

It works the same way as, for example, Mustard for Battle and Winspeaker. You get two effects on one card at slightly reduced cost. In AoL's case, you get a Devilsaur (5 mana) and Arcane Intellect (3 mana) for 7 mana. (or slightly less effective Holy Light at 2 mana, which is less of a great deal).

But in general, putting draw on any creature is incredibly powerful and worth running.

At the moment it's really strong because you can make a druid deck where you have a lot of big threats none of which can be hit by Big Game Hunter. StrifeCro has been running this style of druid a lot, and given how pervasive BGH and Boom are currently, it's essentially denying the enemy an effect card in their deck.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Kolosus wrote: »
    Noggin wrote: »
    waf2N91.png?1

You have to make a Voltron Rogue deck! Don't dust it!
    Agreed, I definitely have to summon Voltron first

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    Really feeling Muster is severely undercosted. 3 straight arena losses to turn 3 Muster that totally dominates the board.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    It's making me sad watching Trump in recent tournaments. I feel like he's really lost his edge; he misses lethal a lot, makes huge misplays, it's kinda painful because he's got such good reasoning on his stream but then in tournaments he just makes bizarre awful plays.

edit: also I can no longer deal with Admirable's casting. Every other draw is "oh my gooddd what a huge draw!" He's the Tobi Wan of Hearthstone. Stop screaming about every insignificant thing, man.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    MummBrahMummBrah Registered User regular
    admirable is my favorite caster

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    MummBrah wrote: »
    admirable is my favorite caster

Different strokes etc

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    It's making me sad watching Trump in recent tournaments. I feel like he's really lost his edge; he misses lethal a lot, makes huge misplays, it's kinda painful because he's got such good reasoning on his stream but then in tournaments he just makes bizarre awful plays.
    Not just in tournaments!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCtqB4qZmJs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12pYB5T6sbY

• Options
    trump has always been an average player compared to other pros

he stands out because he got into informational streaming early on, but i'd be really surprised if he reliably took tournaments

also i have a 100% win rate against him in constructed

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Opponent's sylv steals my KT when I had 3 other things it could've stolen.

>.<'

Still won by a lucky top-deck combo but geez that made it soooo much harder.
    >.<'

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    Junlea wrote: »
    Not quite as good as the first time but still feels good, man.

Just in time, too! Thanks for the coaching @Roz

Thank you for posting your deck list! I was struggling with my mech mage deck but after modifying it to be more like yours I'm doing much better. :)

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    does anyone know if Zetalot is on a team? he's doing something that no one else is really, which is sticking to one class for afaik the entirety of the games' life and still being dominant. I can see the lack of value in that strategically for a team but I gotta feel like he could at least be good for advertising? maybe I just don't know much. I like the guy though.

Trump is a good player but you can only play so many games before you make mistakes, that's pretty much the extent of how I feel.

I don't love any hearthstone casters besides artosis and frodan, and I like them from other games so that's cheating. it's a hard game to cast because it's hard to generate excitement so while I get disliking admirable I also understand where he's coming from. I don't particularly like him or dislike him, which I find is common with hearthstone casters. most are just there to say what's happening and what might come next.

I will say I really enjoy gnimsh, I find him quite funny, and ... Lothar? I think is his name. he's great, very smart.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
This discussion has been closed.