As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Movies] Watch Edge of Tomorrow. Bitch about it. Repeat.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I don't consider Soylent Green to be spoiler material anymore, because that particular idea has entered our culture. At some point, yes, it was a spoiler, but now everyone will understand the idea long before they get around to watching the film, or reading Make Room! Make Room!

It's like Aeris dies^10

Definitely not something anyone gets to complain about.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The Simpsons pretty much spoiled half the movies I would see growing up.

I interpreted Cape Fear from their spoofs, same with Citizen Kane and pretty much everything Kubrick.

It's actually what made me like the Simpsons more, how well they spoofed movies. Man, hard to believe the Simpsons ended in 1999.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

I interpreted Cape Fear from their spoofs, same with Citizen Kane and pretty much everything Kubrick.

It's actually what made me like the Simpsons more, how well they spoofed movies. Man, hard to believe the Simpsons ended in 1999.

Wrong, it wasn't the only thing that fell on 9/11. (season 12 had HOMR)

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

Look it's the cane from citizen kane! wait a minute...

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The Critic was nothing to scoff at when it came to movie spoofs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaKxRN2LdEI

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Put that in simpsons form and I'll understand it

I'm actually a little shocked that I can still run into media/cultural stuff that I've already known for years just through the simpsons. A lot of it fits so naturally even if you don't realize it's a reference/don't know the source.

Also to the earlier talk, I've never seen sixth sense but it's been so torn apart by culture that I don't think I ever could really watch it now. It's not the spoiler itself but once it's the punchline to everything, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to take the movie seriously

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I think one of the great pleasures of my life was during college when I was "recommend us a movie" guy.

Throwing movies at people that they hadn't even heard of. Convincing a bunch of stoners to watch Rashomon, or Identity. Renting Wuthering Heights for a bunch of college girl and watching them swoon over Laurence Olivier of all people. Twists are important and if you know which ones to recommend you can make a really memorable experience for friends and family.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Put that in simpsons form and I'll understand it

I'm actually a little shocked that I can still run into media/cultural stuff that I've already known for years just through the simpsons. A lot of it fits so naturally even if you don't realize it's a reference/don't know the source.

Also to the earlier talk, I've never seen sixth sense but it's been so torn apart by culture that I don't think I ever could really watch it now. It's not the spoiler itself but once it's the punchline to everything, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to take the movie seriously

I can kind of understand that, but I would still reccommend seeing it.

Or at least check out Unbreakable. That was really good, too!

It's my favorite of his good movies.

(all two of them)

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Sixth Sense, twist aside, is just really good. Bruce Willis was solid, Haley Joel Osment was amazing, it had great atmosphere, and lots of genuinely creepy bits.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The thing about a piece of art or media is that if the only thing that makes it worthwhile is the twist, it is probably not very good.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    The thing about a piece of art or media is that if the only thing that makes it worthwhile is the twist, it is probably not very good.

What if the twist is that it was good all along?

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Has anyone here seen ¡No!, the film about the Chilean television campaign to unseat Pinochet? I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it, though in a weird way it reminded me of Kore-eda's After Life, which is about people in the afterlife who, before they move on, are asked to turn their most important memory into a film. It's interesting how ¡No! is less about the politics of the time (although they're obviously relevant to the story) and more about filmmaking and the choices that are made in turning a message into a film. I also enjoyed the ambivalent tone, especially of the ending; clearly it's a good thing that Pinochet loses his power, but there's a wonderful scene at the end that has the main character, played by Gael García Bernal, walk through the triumphant crowds in a daze, as if he's only slowly realising that he's been a party to making history and has no idea whatsoever how to feel and where to go from this.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    After Life is so great.
    Thirith wrote: »
    I also enjoyed the ambivalent tone, especially of the ending; clearly it's a good thing that Pinochet loses his power, but there's a wonderful scene at the end that has the main character, played by Gael García Bernal, walk through the triumphant crowds in a daze, as if he's only slowly realising that he's been a party to making history and has no idea whatsoever how to feel and where to go from this.

Ever see The Candidate?

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    So... We're getting the Super Troopers sequel we've all been asking for, after all these years.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5934874

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Watching Leprechaun. Not a good movie. I don't remember it being this bad when I saw it in theaters. 14 year old me had a low bar when it came to entertainment, it seems.

Minus Warwick Davis having an absolute blast with the roll, of course.

And Jennifer Aniston being Jennifer Aniston. I love me some Jennifer Aniston.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Watching Leprechaun. Not a good movie. I don't remember it being this bad when I saw it in theaters. 14 year old me had a low bar when it came to entertainment, it seems.

you really should be watching the best in the series Leprechaun in the Hood.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I liked the Leprechaun in Vegas one.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I think it's almost tragic that it's impossible to see The Sixth Sense for the first time unspoiled more than once. The first time was just incredible. And anyone who spoiled that movie for someone else is literally movie Hitler.

I saw the movie for the first time with my cousin (who had seen it), and my mother (who had not). Right at the start when that thing happens, my mother, because she cannot watch a movie without talking, asks my cousin "is he dead?"

Because my cousin is a good and smart person she blatantly lied in her answer, because any hedging or equivocation would have given it away.

• Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »

I don't remember watching that one. We must have been drinking when we rented it. Warwick owned that character though.

Watched Adam's Family. Another movie where the lead just seemed to love the character. Raul Julia owned Gomez Adams. He put so much passion into that role.

The whole cast was great, to be honest.

My son wanted to see Mad Max since he played FONV last week. Figure what the hell. I watched it at his age (9).

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

I don't remember watching that one. We must have been drinking when we rented it. Warwick owned that character though.

Watched Adam's Family. Another movie where the lead just seemed to love the character. Raul Julia owned Gomez Adams. He put so much passion into that role.

My son wanted to see Mad Max since he played FONV last week. Figure what the hell. I watched it at his age (9).

Christina Ricci owned Wednesday Adams in the movies.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    OK. Can't wait for the explanation of how the fuck ToeCutter survived being turned into road pizza by an 18 wheeler.

And damn that is a sweet car.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    With the Addams Family series, I lamented only two things:

1.) How the second film shamelessly just rehashed the plot of the first, keeping Uncle Fester away from the family dynamic,

2.) How the death of Raul Julia prematurely ended one of the most thoroughly enjoyable franchises I know of.

I still catch this movie on cable or Netflix from time to time, at least every couple of years or so. It holds up remarkably well, despite being 24 years old.

Jesus. 24 years old. I'mma go cry in a corner somewhere.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
  • Options
    I bought Street Fighter on bluray simply because Raul Julia deserves to be seen in HD while he makes that god awful screenplay his bitch.

• Options
    SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    The first Addams Family was a legit great movie.

• Options
    Watching Mel Brooks Live at the Geffen on HBO. The man is a national treasure and deserves an official holiday.

• Options
    Best Thanksgiving Day scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VbYZDohsHk

edit: Is that Harmony??

238px-HarmonyKendall.jpg

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Best Thanksgiving Day scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VbYZDohsHk

edit: Is that Harmony??

238px-HarmonyKendall.jpg

IMDB says "yes"

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Astaereth wrote: »
    After Life is so great.
    I like all the Kore-eda movies I've seen, but After Life is the one I like best, from the premise to the performances to the gems of scenes throughout. Remember that little old lady that during the interview just keeps giggling to herself?
    Ever see The Candidate?
    Not yet; it sounds interesting though. Is it similar to ¡No!?

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

They pretty much all owned their roles.

Gomez and Morticia are also the best couple, like ever.

sig.gif
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Ever see The Candidate?
    Not yet; it sounds interesting though. Is it similar to ¡No!?

I haven't seen ¡No!, but it might be. Regardless, it's a really smart movie about politics (with a nice Redford performance as a sort of Obama-esque candidate) with a lot of continuing relevance. And the ending is one of the all-time greats.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

They pretty much all owned their roles.

Gomez and Morticia are also the best couple, like ever.

"Tish, how long has it been since we waltzed?"

"Oh, Gomez . . . *exhales seductively, bats eyelashes* . . . hours."

• Options
    Good Looking Fat GuyGood Looking Fat Guy West Hartford, CTRegistered User regular
    The dark edginess of the movies/New Yorker cartoons showed why the Addams Family TV show was such a bummer. The TV show was so sanitized.

• Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    The topic of bad twists got me thinking about how much I hated The illusionist. Whole film spoilers

Ok so the set up I'd that the titular character is ruining this upper class guys life and stealing his girl (upper class guy I'd unlikable certainly, but if I remember he doesn't actually do anything that bad to deserve what he gets) by performing this illusion which is so incredible it has to be real.

Like, the movie underlines this, this illusion is way beyond the capabilities of sfx of the time. It's got to be real.

The twist,

It's not real! It's a trick, done with sfx. Fooled you.

Jeedan on
  • Options
    Jeedan wrote: »
    The topic of bad twists got me thinking about how much I hated The illusionist. Whole film spoilers

Ok so the set up I'd that the titular character is ruining this upper class guys life and stealing his girl (upper class guy I'd unlikable certainly, but if I remember he doesn't actually do anything that bad to deserve what he gets) by performing this illusion which is so incredible it has to be real.

Like, the movie underlines this, this illusion is way beyond the capabilities of sfx of the time. It's got to be real.

The twist,

Is that the one that has a magical growing plant in it that's just some fancy illusion? If so, it's the kind of cinematic use of magic that I detest. There's something "magic" that is obviously CG and then it's explained how it's just a trick, nothing magical at all. Now You See Me had the same problem with their flying cloaks and other stupid bullshit

Using computers to make obviously-fake-looking "magic" and then positing a normal explanation for it is cheating and it just pulls me right out of your movie.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Jeedan wrote: »

The twist,

Is that the one that has a magical growing plant in it that's just some fancy illusion? If so, it's the kind of cinematic use of magic that I detest. There's something "magic" that is obviously CG and then it's explained how it's just a trick, nothing magical at all. Now You See Me had the same problem with their flying cloaks and other stupid bullshit

Using computers to make obviously-fake-looking "magic" and then positing a normal explanation for it is cheating and it just pulls me right out of your movie.

It's getting a sequel.

Legendhayubusa+rolled+a+random+image+posted+in+comment+7+at+_c5d80947b68341fbe41f3e56e51e3654.png

• Options
    I hope the sequel consists of a five minute scene about the first film being the result of a bad LSD trip, and they're now in a mental institution babbling about flying carousels. And then the last two hours of the movie is The Prestige.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    The biggest issue with Now You See Me is once you've seen the end it becomes blatantly obvious that making Ruffalo the main character is the stupidest decision ever since then the twist basically invalidates most of the movie's character work.

Whereas if you just make Mélanie Laurent the main character the whole movie proceeds as before except it now actually has a real arc.

It's like every complaint about The Usual Suspects dialed up to 11.

shryke on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Edge of Tomorrow was this afternoon's movie.

I really don't know if there's much to say about it. It's just a fantastic sci-fi action blockbuster. It's not deep or complex, but it's exciting and enthralling and well-acted and well-paced and never stupid. It's just 100% a well-done movie and I wish every blockbuster could be like this. No kinks, no stupid decisions, no "you have to look past this part" or whatever. It aims to entertain the fuck out of you and it succeeds. Good action, nice character beats, funny bits without braking the tone and pacing, it all works.

I remember there was bitching about the ending or something? I don't get it. After the movie I read the wiki of the story it's based on and that's certainly a good ending too but it's an ending for a completely different kind of film then this is. You could take this same story and redo it as a much more serious affair about how a man repeats the same day over and over again till he becomes a hardened killing machine and that ending would work great for it but that's not the kind of movie they were making here. The ending they picked really hit perfectly for what they were doing with the premise.

So go see it. It's great. This movie should have made a 3 times what it did. This kind of quality work should be rewarded.

PS - Emily Blunt both totally works as a badass and is a nice change of pace from the usually cock-fest you'd expect from this type of affair. I like that the film doesn't really call attention to it being unusual on this front and doesn't push a woman into that role in order to establish a romantic relationship that motivates the plot.

shryke on
This discussion has been closed.