As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Movies] Watch Edge of Tomorrow. Bitch about it. Repeat.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The best Tom Hanks peeing scene is the one in League of Their Own.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    And the actual best nut kick scene is clearly Monster Squad.

Wolfman's got nards, yo.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Jupiter Rising is going to make Speed Racer look like Titanic at the box office.

It looks neat enough but that movie is going to bomb so badly.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Y'all have no appreciation for the dramatic power of urinating in The Green Mile

Tom Hanks pees in almost every single movie he's in.

One time, when they were filming a fight scene for The DaVinci Code, Paul Bettany punched Tom Hanks so hard he farted.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I think the Wachowskis and Shyamalan have proven that the old Hollywood adage "You're only as good as your last movie" is not remotely true anymore (if it ever was). Apparently you can coast through expensive failure after expensive failure as long as people continue to believe that you might be able to repeat an early, massive success.

This is not to disparage the movies themselves (I think Speed Racer is great, and Shyamalan didn't get terrible until after Lady in the Water). It's just that executives seem to have the mentality of someone plugging endless quarters into a slot machine because they won the jackpot years ago, even though all it's done since is vomit forth Canadian pennies and insult your mother in an abrasive computerized voice.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The Wachokskis make some failure but at least they're usually interesting failures. I think me and my gf are the only two people on earth who actually liked Cloud Atlas.

M. Night i think just stopped even trying like 4 movies ago

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Best film I've seen this week - Ex Machina.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Y'all have no appreciation for the dramatic power of urinating in The Green Mile

One time, when they were filming a fight scene for The DaVinci Code, Paul Bettany punched Tom Hanks so hard he farted.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Greatest-Tom-Hanks-Fart-Story-All-Time-69398.html
    I punched him, and he farted. And I didn’t know what the… I didn’t know what the right thing to do was. Whether you mention it or – as an Englishman, I felt as if I should say, ‘Oh God, sorry! I farted!’ He just looked at me and said, ‘You just made me fart. Isn’t that funny?’ And I loved him for it."

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    To be honest, I wouldn't know what the hell to do in that kind of situation either.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    The Wachokskis make some failure but at least they're usually interesting failures. I think me and my gf are the only two people on earth who actually liked Cloud Atlas.

M. Night i think just stopped even trying like 4 movies ago

The Happening was hilarious.

Devil was so... so... soooo fucking bad.

• Options
    Devil isn't totally awful. Also, Shyamalan merely produced it (and I think came up with the idea, which certainly isn't the problem with that movie).

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    What's wrong with Devil?
    I thought it was a competent movie, and didn't seem to have as much of the "what a tweest" on it as everyone thinks Shyamalan movies have.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    The Wachokskis have done no wrong to me. The Matrix sequels suck in retrospect, but were great when I saw them in theaters. Everything else they've done has been good and stayed good with age.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    The strangest mistake Devil made was in the marketing.

The first trailer gives away the entire movie.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I was probably the only person who liked The Village.

I saw it with a bunch of friends and they all walked out of the theatre ranting about how fucking awful it was. I thought it had some fine performances in it, despite the premise having major holes in it.

Like, plot holes galore, this makes no sense sure fine whatever. That doesn't affect the quality of the acting, I'm no film snob but I can still separate things enough to see that, despite the movie being overall silly, all of the principals turned in excellent performances.

Also the really suspenseful scene in the forest with Ron Howard's blind kid
    being chased by a horrifying monster, but then the monster is revealed to be a fraud, and the audience breathes this huge sigh of relief, and then the monster actually fucking appears and tries to murder the blind girl was almost pants-wettingly terrifying.

But my friends were too busy hating on minutiae of the setting to appreciate any of it.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    someone just needed to slap the pen out of Shaymalyans hands. Dude simply can't write for shit

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    So it's good, eh? I was readying myself getting disappointed by it :<

• Options
    The Village is an amazing, amazing movie. Some of the strongest filmmaking of the decade.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    The Village is an amazing, amazing movie. Some of the strongest filmmaking of the decade.

Heh?

• Options
    I liked The Village as well. It's been years since I've seen it, but it hasn't annoyed my like other movies (*cough* MoS *cough*). I thought it was decently thought out, and everything was pretty good about it. Not like earth-shattering anything, but certainly not absolute crap like MoS or Transformers.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I wouldn't go that far, but the parts that were good were really really good, and the parts of the plot that made no sense shouldn't ruin the film for you unless you want them to.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I thought The Village was terrible, even worse than its 43% RT rating would indicate.

• Options
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I thought The Village was terrible, even worse than its 43% RT rating would indicate.

Pretty much called the twist from jump street on it. I mean, before seeing the movie.

• Options
    I wouldn't go that far, but the parts that were good were really really good, and the parts of the plot that made no sense shouldn't ruin the film for you unless you want them to.

Which part have I gone too far on?

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    So it's good, eh? I was readying myself getting disappointed by it :<

I saw a preview screening about a year ago and it was quite good. Unless they've made major changes to it since then, I'd say it's a worthy entry in the "what's the difference between AI and human, maan?" genre.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    The Village also has one of my favorite original soundtracks of any film. Ever. It is so perfect for that movie.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Astaereth wrote: »

I think it was a decent little movie with some genuinely good bits, but I am having some profound difficulty seeing anything in it that would qualify as amazing. Like. .. huh?

Help a brother out, homeslice.

Oh, also, I started reading some Outlaw Vern per your suggestion. He has some really great observations and is incredibly readable and he has an archive of twenty bajillion reviews and there goes the next five weeks of my life.

So, you know, thanks a lot, dick.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

"In the 1998 Oscars, I found myself in the bathroom in a stall, next to Tom Selleck. So I leaned over and I said ‘looks like we’re a couple of peeing Toms.’ His angry silence is something I’ll never forget. ” -Tom Hanks

I wonder how many souls we would have to collect to get him to do another 80's style comedy. I'd give a lot to see one more "Money Pit bathtub fall laugh" or the Burbs' "walk out of an exploding house, go to walk down stairs, slide down the whole staircase"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdYPxFMhEkE

Not the burbs clip I want, but the scene after. It's pretty amazing. Spoiler for the burbs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EECf2o9Ivaw
    I'VE BEEN BLOWN UP. TAKE ME TO THE HOSPITAL. /throws gurney into ambulance, flops face down on it

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Wash wrote: »

The biggest problem was that it had a dozen actually serious problems. Starting with the premise that the literal devil, Satan, Lord of Hell, is taking the time to fuck with an elevator full of assholes. Like, I guess he is really bored and he's already exhausted his movie collection because it's Hell and the only films they have down there are bootleg Portuguese dubs of Pluto Nash. Still, seems a little beneath the dude who once got into a war with the God of All Creation.

The Exorcist sidestepped this problem by making the bad guy just some demon. A powerful demon, but still just a demon. Devil went too big.

Then, yeah, the marketing - Hell, even the name - gives everything away. "Yep, it's the devil. Devil is terrorizing an elevator. Yep."

Then there was the terrible script and the nonsensical story. And a carload of unlikable characters who you would probably root against except they're so goddamn boring you can't even muster the energy to do that.

At least The Happening had the decency to be hilariously bad. Devil was just bad-bad.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular

"In the 1998 Oscars, I found myself in the bathroom in a stall, next to Tom Selleck. So I leaned over and I said ‘looks like we’re a couple of peeing Toms.’ His angry silence is something I’ll never forget. ” -Tom Hanks

I really wish this man would do another comedy movie or two...

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

The biggest problem was that it had a dozen actually serious problems. Starting with the premise that the literal devil, Satan, Lord of Hell, is taking the time to fuck with an elevator full of assholes. Like, I guess he is really bored and he's already exhausted his movie collection because it's Hell and the only films they have down there are bootleg Portuguese dubs of Pluto Nash. Still, seems a little beneath the dude who once got into a war with the God of All Creation.

The Exorcist sidestepped this problem by making the bad guy just some demon. A powerful demon, but still just a demon. Devil went too big.

Then, yeah, the marketing - Hell, even the name - gives everything away. "Yep, it's the devil. Devil is terrorizing an elevator. Yep."

Then there was the terrible script and the nonsensical story. And a carload of unlikable characters who you would probably root against except they're so goddamn boring you can't even muster the energy to do that.

At least The Happening had the decency to be hilariously bad. Devil was just bad-bad.

I found it hard to keep watching after the security guard guy literally tried to use toast falling buttered side down to prove that the devil was in the building.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

You do know this is the same Devil who went to God and said, "Hey...HEY. I bet if you mess with that guy. That guy over there? He'd TOTALLY turn on you bro"

Devil is all bout that petty shit.

And yeah, the marketing format from top to bottom was abysmal.

And you could have gone with like, a MILLION titles that didn't give away the premise of the movie.

• Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    being chased by a horrifying monster, but then the monster is revealed to be a fraud, and the audience breathes this huge sigh of relief, and then the monster actually fucking appears and tries to murder the blind girl was almost pants-wettingly terrifying.

But my friends were too busy hating on minutiae of the setting to appreciate any of it.

That scene was brilliant,
    when shes walking through the woods and the thing is just there, forests can be scary places even in broad daylight and that scene just nails it.

Also somewhat related in "you're only as good as your last movie" I'm fascinated by how hard Mortdecai has turned every critic against Johnny Depp.

• Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

That scene was brilliant,
    when shes walking through the woods and the thing is just there, forests can have this terrifying vibe even in broad daylight and that scene is the best I've seen at nailing it.

Also somewhat related in "you're only as good as your last movie" I'm fascinated by how hard Mortdecai has turned every critic against Johnny Depp.

Jeedan on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I loved the aesthetic of the Village.

I despised the ending and the unnecessary twist, but everything leading up to it was stellar.

Shyamalan has made more great movies than a lot of directors, but his bad movies are SO bad, and his self-insertion shtick is so horrible, that it nearly washes out the outstanding amazingness of Unbreakable, Sixth Sense, Signs, etc.

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    To be honest, I wouldn't know what the hell to do in that kind of situation either.

You look Tom Hanks square in the eyes and fart right back of course!

• Options
    Oakey wrote: »

You look Tom Hanks square in the eyes and fart right back of course!

It's the only way to assert dominance.

• Options

You do know this is the same Devil who went to God and said, "Hey...HEY. I bet if you mess with that guy. That guy over there? He'd TOTALLY turn on you bro"

Devil is all bout that petty shit.

And yeah, the marketing format from top to bottom was abysmal.

And you could have gone with like, a MILLION titles that didn't give away the premise of the movie.

"Coming this summer... M Night Shyamalan's Evil Thing in an Elevator, Maybe It's the Devil, We Ain't Saying."

This discussion has been closed.