As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics]: New Liberal Cabinet Sworn In

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Okay, okay. We can all stop celebrating now.

zmKFMsB.png

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Well,.... shit

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    It was inevitable, so I can't really be any more upset than I was when they announced it. On the bright side, it'll probably be one of the first things to get trashed once the cons lose their majority.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I'll be in Edmonton in June, hanging out with very conservative in-laws. Do you guys think the salt will have died down by then?

actually think we'll be spending most of our time in Banff though so it might be okay.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
  • Options
    Omar Khadr has been granted bail by a judge in Edmonton... 'bout damn time!

• Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »

zmKFMsB.png

Wait.. they're isn't 183 conservatives in parliament.

Who voted with them?

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    Jean wrote: »

zmKFMsB.png

Who voted with them?

Liberals.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Jean wrote: »

zmKFMsB.png

Who voted with them?

Liberals.

Every day I feel even better about having voted NDP in the last couple federal elections.

• Options
    My MP last time out was Jack Harris, who was never going to lose the seat, plus he is awesome. Happy to have voted for him, and if I can do absentee in the fall, I will vote for him again.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    One of the new Alberta NDP MLAs is 20 years old.

God.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »

God.

That happened with the federal election as well when the NDP formed official opposition. Some of the candidates were placed in ridings where the NDP had no chance of winning - and then they won.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Nova_C wrote: »

God.

That happened with the federal election as well when the NDP formed official opposition. Some of the candidates were placed in ridings where the NDP had no chance of winning - and then they won.

Some of them have impressed me, honestly. Charmaine Borg. Laurin Liu. Off the top of my head. They've pushed issues that I care about in sensible ways, and been smartly critical of Conservative policies.

I way prefer the quality of the (younger) NDP MPs over the (older) Liberal MPs.

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

It's as though consultants who are hired to conduct audits aren't immune to political pressures from those who hired them. Huh.

(Seriously world, get over your goddamned consultant fetish, please.)

hippofant on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

This was a pretty big thing around my office this morning for... reasons. We're pretty happy about it.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

This was a pretty big thing around my office this morning for... reasons. We're pretty happy about it.

We should be ashamed as a people for how he was treated. There are many reasons we don;t try children as adults. How he has been behind bars for this long is incomprehensible.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

We should be ashamed as a people for how he was treated. There are many reasons we don;t try children as adults. How he has been behind bars for this long is incomprehensible.

You spelled reprehensible wrong.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

You spelled reprehensible wrong.

Yeah, I find it very easy to comprehend.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular

God.

A 20 year old was just elected in the UK election as well, for the SNP.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    So my MP, Peter Stoffer (Sackville-Eastern Shore, Nova Scotia, and also the current Veteran Affairs critic) has been named a Knight of the Order of Orange-Nassau (a Knight of the Netherlands).
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/peter-stoffer-named-knight-in-the-order-of-orange-nassau-1.3063705
    In addition to doing a lot of great work for veterans, including veterans who helped liberate the Netherlands back in WWII, he's was also born in the Netherlands.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. He's been the MP for this riding for 18 years now, and has always done a fantastic job.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Meanwhile in Ontario, the PCs had a choice between a relatively progressive candidate and Tim Hudak II. Of course they went with Tim Hudak II, because that worked soooo well for them in the last two elections they lost.

I'm scared he's actually going to get elected because the Liberals are massive fuckups and peoples' fear of another right wing-pocalypse can only hold the day for so long.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Eh, if he actually is Hudak 2, I expect the pc death spiral to continue. Even before the election they were a joke, it's just been getting worse.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    Eh, if he actually is Hudak 2, I expect the pc death spiral to continue. Even before the election they were a joke, it's just been getting worse.

Problem is, they can't lose forever. Sooner or later people will want change, or a scandal will hit, or voters will get complaisant and stop voting, and Hudak 5 or 10 will sneak into power.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Richy wrote: »

Problem is, they can't lose forever. Sooner or later people will want change, or a scandal will hit, or voters will get complaisant and stop voting, and Hudak 5 or 10 will sneak into power.

Maybe if Horwath doesn't shoot herself in the foot again, it could be her instead.

God, this sex-ed education bs is making me fuuuuuuuurious.

hippofant on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I hate all the Ontario parties and politicians.

All of them.

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »

Maybe if Horwath doesn't shoot herself in the foot again, it could be her instead.

Yeah, I have no idea what the hell she's thinking half the time.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular

This gave me a Funny/Horrifying image of 1000's of clones of Hudak trying to run for govt in every election available.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »

This gave me a Funny/Horrifying image of 1000's of clones of Hudak trying to run for govt in every election available.

all talking like the Garys from Fallout

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular

Apparently somebody is distributing pamphlets in Arabic that contain some gigantic lies about the sex ed curriculum... like that first graders will be playing with penis and vagina flash cards and sixth graders taught how to masterbate in the classroom. And now the parents are so pissed off that it's like anti-vaxxers all over again. The government can try to correct the lies all it wants, but they won't believe it.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options

Apparently somebody is distributing pamphlets in Arabic that contain some gigantic lies about the sex ed curriculum... like that first graders will be playing with penis and vagina flash cards and sixth graders taught how to masterbate in the classroom. And now the parents are so pissed off that it's like anti-vaxxers all over again. The government can try to correct the lies all it wants, but they won't believe it.

The terrible irony is that much of this material that is being attacked is exactly the sort of material teachers want. Curricular documents, at their core minimums, are so sparse that they provide very little direction to teachers in the handling of actual classroom environments. So the province prepared additional prompts, like what to do if a child asks about masturbation and how to answer, which is completely what you want as opposed to having teachers being caught off-guard and improvising their own answers.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

The terrible irony is that much of this material that is being attacked is exactly the sort of material teachers want. Curricular documents, at their core minimums, are so sparse that they provide very little direction to teachers in the handling of actual classroom environments. So the province prepared additional prompts, like what to do if a child asks about masturbation and how to answer, which is completely what you want as opposed to having teachers being caught off-guard and improvising their own answers.

Having been disconnected from alot of Ontario politics for awhile now, I can't believe this shit is still going on.

OMG wtf is wrong with people?

• Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular

Frankly, over the last few years there's been fairly hefty amount of immigration from the Middle East. There's certainly nothing wrong with that, but there are definitely some folks who have a very limited perception of the world. Finding themselves suddenly immersed in a very foreign culture, I suspect alot of them tend to cling to their cultural preconceptions as a means of overcompensation. It wouldn't surprise me if the person distributing those pamphlets is one of these people.

• Options

Frankly, over the last few years there's been fairly hefty amount of immigration from the Middle East. There's certainly nothing wrong with that, but there are definitely some folks who have a very limited perception of the world. Finding themselves suddenly immersed in a very foreign culture, I suspect alot of them tend to cling to their cultural preconceptions as a means of overcompensation. It wouldn't surprise me if the person distributing those pamphlets is one of these people.

The OPC's new leader prides himself on reaching out to immigrant communities and getting their votes. It wouldn't surprise me if the person distributing those pamphlets is one of his people.

sig.gif
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Harper government continues to provide endless work for constitutional lawyers and political science junkies, this time via: Ottawa Threatening Hate Charges Against Those who Boycott Israel
    The government's intention was made clear in a response to inquiries from CBC News about statements by federal ministers of a "zero tolerance" approach to groups participating in a loose coalition called Boycott, Divest and Sanction (BDS), which was begun in 2006 at the request of Palestinian non-governmental organizations.

Asked to explain what zero tolerance means, and what is being done to enforce it, a spokesperson for Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney replied, four days later, with a detailed list of Canada's updated hate laws, noting that Canada has one of the most comprehensive sets of such laws "anywhere in the world."

"I can tell you that Canada has one of the most comprehensive sets of laws against hate crime anywhere in the world," wrote Sirois.

She highlighted what she termed "hate propaganda" provisions in the Criminal Code criminalizing the promotion of hatred against an identifiable group, and further noted that "identifiable group" now includes any section of the public distinguished by "among other characteristics, religion or national or ethnic origin."

She also referred to Criminal Code provisions requiring that a judge consider hate, bias or prejudice when sentencing an offender.

"We will not allow hate crimes to undermine our way of life, which is based on diversity and inclusion," she concluded.

There's effectively no way that such a policy survives a Charter challenge on the basis of freedom of expression.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    That's even more amazing coming from the government that neutered Canada's hate-speech laws right off the bat when they came to power.

Meanwhile, we just got a reaction from Israel:
    "It's great that we have such unconditional support from Canaan. But boy you guys need a better spell-checker for your press releases. Where'd that 'd' in the middle come from?"

sig.gif
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    The topic os sex ed was being discussed earlier. My Daughter was in 6th grade last year and had a class size of about 30 kids. In Alberta you can be excused from sex ed class if your parents object for any reason. 23 of the 30 of them took that option.

Every male student left. This thought scares the hell out of me as a father.

Luckily, we have a smart kid and have doubled down on discussions about sexuality and responsibility at home.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    Harper government continues to provide endless work for constitutional lawyers and political science junkies, this time via: Ottawa Threatening Hate Charges Against Those who Boycott Israel
    The government's intention was made clear in a response to inquiries from CBC News about statements by federal ministers of a "zero tolerance" approach to groups participating in a loose coalition called Boycott, Divest and Sanction (BDS), which was begun in 2006 at the request of Palestinian non-governmental organizations.

Asked to explain what zero tolerance means, and what is being done to enforce it, a spokesperson for Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney replied, four days later, with a detailed list of Canada's updated hate laws, noting that Canada has one of the most comprehensive sets of such laws "anywhere in the world."

"I can tell you that Canada has one of the most comprehensive sets of laws against hate crime anywhere in the world," wrote Sirois.

She highlighted what she termed "hate propaganda" provisions in the Criminal Code criminalizing the promotion of hatred against an identifiable group, and further noted that "identifiable group" now includes any section of the public distinguished by "among other characteristics, religion or national or ethnic origin."

She also referred to Criminal Code provisions requiring that a judge consider hate, bias or prejudice when sentencing an offender.

"We will not allow hate crimes to undermine our way of life, which is based on diversity and inclusion," she concluded.

There's effectively no way that such a policy survives a Charter challenge on the basis of freedom of expression.

Does....does this mean the government is guilty of a hate crime for sanctioning Iran?

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular

Does....does this mean the government is guilty of a hate crime for sanctioning Iran?

I think the intent is that the government would be guilty of a hate crime for sanctioning Israel. Iran is fair game, because Iran

• Options
    El Skid wrote: »

I think the intent is that the government would be guilty of a hate crime for sanctioning Israel. Iran is fair game, because Iran

Well, yes, but they are specifying national origin. So if you can't say anything critical of Israel, then it can be successfully argued that you can't say anything critical of Iran.

Obviously this would never hold up in court, but on the face of it, the government is saying themselves that they are committing a hate crime.