As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics]: New Liberal Cabinet Sworn In

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    notdroid wrote: »
    (To play in the background for ultimate ambience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxpTx0VDBKw)

Guess who's back, back again
    Duceppe's back, tell a friend
    Guess who's back, guess who's back?
    Guess who's back?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/gilles-duceppe-preparing-comeback-as-leader-of-bloc-québécois-1.3105751
    http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles/politique/2015/06/09/001-gilles-duceppe-direction-bloc-quebecois.shtml

Rub my back.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Time for the liberals to bring chretien out of retirement

Things have been going downhill for the LPC ever since he left politics so frankly I don't see why not. He would bring us some entertainement value at the very least!

On a more serious note, I'd be overjoyed with the news of Duceppe coming back if I'm in Harper's shoes. Every seat the Bloc wins is one less seat the Conservatives have to worry about. A re-energised Bloc is the last thing the NDP needs.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I swear, if the fucking BQ end up accidentally giving Harper another term...

I'm really hoping Quebec voters realize that and stick with the NDP.
    You'd know more about the current political mood in Quebec, Jean. Is this something we should worry about, or is it likely to amount to a whole lot of nothing?

• Options
    CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular

You'd know more about the current political mood in Quebec, Jean. Is this something we should worry about, or is it likely to amount to a whole lot of nothing?

No conservative party has taken more than ten seats in Quebec since the 1980s. I highly doubt that Gilles Duceppe's return will improve the Tories' results in any significant fashion. I mean, he was around last time and it didn't help them at all.

• Options

No conservative party has taken more than ten seats in Quebec since the 1980s. I highly doubt that Gilles Duceppe's return will improve the Tories' results in any significant fashion. I mean, he was around last time and it didn't help them at all.

It would be more about the NDP not getting those seats.
    As you said, Duceppe was around in 2011 and it didn't help the BQ. There's a good chance this won't really amount to anything. I'm just nervous about how this election will go.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

It would be more about the NDP not getting those seats.
    As you said, Duceppe was around in 2011 and it didn't help the BQ. There's a good chance this won't really amount to anything. I'm just nervous about how this election will go.

Well, that'd only be relevant in a minority situation. Which it might be, given how close the polling results are now.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

To be fair, they went all in with the NDP on with the last election and we still went Harper.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

To be fair, they went all in with the NDP on with the last election and we still went Harper.

That looks to be changing, though.

But if the Bloc take the NDP votes in Quebec, we'll end up with another Conservative government.

• Options

As hippofant mentioned, it would mainly be an issue if the CPC and NDP are within a certain margin of each other, and those Quebec seats end up being the difference between an NDP government or a CPC minority.
    It may be a non-issue. Quebec really came through last time with the orange wave, and very well may do so again. I just don't like the path to voting out the CPC getting any more complicated or uncertain.

• Options
    So, just to not let old political news die, there seems to finally be a conclusion to the Liberal MPs' harassment incident, of sorts:

MPs' sexual harassment code of conduct outlined in House report

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Duceppe is quite popular with the BQ crowd and Québécois in general. He is well-spoken and intelligent, and more importantly recognizable. The BQ leader stepping down, I'll bet you a majority of Québécois wouldn't be able to name off the top of their head, never mind recognize him in a picture. I certainly can't. This will be unarguably a boost for the BQ.

But will it make a difference? That's the real question. Duceppe lost to Layton starting from a much stronger position, and his party's not polling any stronger now than it was in 2011. He may be planning to surf the "new leader" wave for six months, but I'm not even sure that wave will be significant for a returning long-time leader.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    The 840,000 Canadian dollars (or about $683,000) in questioned expenses are only a small slice of the Senate’s annual budget of about $103 million. By contrast, the auditors spent about $24 million conducting their investigation.

. . .

sig.gif
  • Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    Shoulda have been an auditor.......... Maybe in my next life.

How do you spend 24 million checking expenses....... how?

• Options
    Invectivus wrote: »

Contractor rates. If it was an internal auditor, it'd probably cost like a tenth as much?

• Options
    edited June 2015
    "Men's rights" group banned from marching in Pride

A third-party arbitrator has denied CAFE's application to participate in the Toronto Pride parade.

hippofant on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    With Bill C-51 passing, I'm personally feeling that there is little value in the whole senate thing. :pop:

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Also, I heard about the Audit results on CTV last night. My parents love watching TV news, despite my best efforts.

My favourite bit was when they said the Supreme Court ruled that reforming the Senate requires 7/10 provinces with >50% of the population to be on-board. They followed this with examples of provinces like Saskatchewan and Québec that abolished their Senates. Then with Harper saying his government has done nothing on senate reform because of that SC ruling, since "I can't reform the Senate by myself".

If there was ever a poster-case for how dysfunctional the Harper government is, this is it. Even on issues where he's in agreement with other people, he'd rather get nothing done than actually work with other people.

sig.gif
  • Options
    hippofant wrote: »

Contractor rates. If it was an internal auditor, it'd probably cost like a tenth as much?

That still would have been a $2.4 million audit to catch $0.84 million in fraud.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I say we audit the auditor general

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Richy wrote: »

That still would have been a $2.4 million audit to catch $0.84 million in fraud.

That's like saying that convicting people of small offenses are not worth it because of lawyers and judges salaries. You stole 5000$ from a store? The court cost plus your 60 days inside will cost 25 000$ so you are free to go!

• Options

That's like saying that convicting people of small offenses are not worth it because of lawyers and judges salaries. You stole 5000$ from a store? The court cost plus your 60 days inside will cost 25 000$ so you are free to go!

A court/legal system and an audit are two different things. It's more like saying you want to hire a 25 000$ private investigator to catch the guy who stole 5000$ from your store.

sig.gif
  • Options

A court/legal system and an audit are two different things. It's more like saying you want to hire a 25 000$ private investigator to catch the guy who stole 5000$ from your store.

No, It's like saying you are paying a cop 50K a year to catch someone for minor shoplifting. There is a sunk cost to all legal proceedings. The goverment can't ever say that certain crimes are not worth investigating. If this leads to the abolishment of the senate then it's money well spent.

• Options
    CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular

No, It's like saying you are paying a cop 50K a year to catch someone for minor shoplifting. There is a sunk cost to all legal proceedings. The goverment can't ever say that certain crimes are not worth investigating. If this leads to the abolishment of the senate then it's money well spent.

It may lead to some changes in the way the Senate manages its expenses, but it won't lead to abolishment. Not enough of the people in power want it abolished, even if they were all capable of working with each other in order to abolish it.

• Options

And this is what I dislike the most about this story. There are a lot of good reasons to reform or abolish the Senate, but 840000$ in fraud (a drop in the government budget) by a handful of Senators is not one of them. This story is a great argument for watchdogs and oversight for senators, but Senate reform is about the role of the Senate, not the misdeeds of individual senators.

sig.gif
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    When Harper's finally gone ( I can't even let myself consider another Harper term, it's too scary, don't make me), him simply being defeated , while great, is not enough.

Can we fire him from a cannon into the ocean or something come election day?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Couldn't we make it the Sun instead?

• Options

And this is what I dislike the most about this story. There are a lot of good reasons to reform or abolish the Senate, but 840000$ in fraud (a drop in the government budget) by a handful of Senators is not one of them. This story is a great argument for watchdogs and oversight for senators, but Senate reform is about the role of the Senate, not the misdeeds of individual senators.

For me, the fact that it is a drop in the bucket of a very expensive and, to be frank, pretty useless organization that has for the longest time served no other purpose then a golden retirement for political cronies.

The fact that they are stealing from the golden goose is just another nail for me.

• Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    Well, another CBC host falls.

I rather liked listening to him badger politicians on the radio while I set up on Saturday mornings.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Durkhanus wrote: »
    Well, another CBC host falls.

I rather liked listening to him badger politicians on the radio while I set up on Saturday mornings.

I'm kinda confused about this honestly. What exactly was the conflict of interest?

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    I have a feeling that it is an ethics conflict that is seen as a bigger issue by those inside journalism than those outside. The issue, as I've heard in other reporting, is using access to individuals developed as part of your journalism for personal profit while still acting as a journalist. This could lead to perceptions of possible bias on the part of the journalist and hence is considered a big no-no.

• Options
    notdroidnotdroid Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    <consipiracytinfoilhat>
    Duceppe making a comeback as the head of the BQ right before the federal election is a ploy to take as many seats from the NPD as possible to allow for a Harper majority government to reign until the Quebec election in 2018, causing enough Quebecers to get disgusted of perpetual CPC rule at the federal level so that they'll elect the PQ based on an electoral platform centered on promising to hold a referendum in their first mandate.
    </consipiracytinfoilhat>

notdroid on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    It could be seen that he might give preferential treatment to political figures that have bought art from him, and that is where the conflict would lay.

taking any money for any reason from a subject you have/will interview is a big no.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Foomy wrote: »
    It could be seen that he might give preferential treatment to political figures that have bought art from him, and that is where the conflict would lay.

taking any money for any reason from a subject you have/will interview is a big no.

According to some of the comments on the cbc article, Amanda Lang did something similar and basically got a finger wag. I need to find more info about that, but if true it makes this a lot stranger, especially since he told them about the art thing like a year ago.

Etiowsa on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

You mean like how failed American big-name conservative politicians get jobs at Fox News?

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    Foomy wrote: »

According to some of the comments on the cbc article, Amanda Lang did something similar and basically got a finger wag. I need to find more info about that, but if true it makes this a lot stranger, especially since he told them about the art thing like a year ago.

My understanding is Amanda Lang has powerful friends/family that basically got her off with a slap on the wrist.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Rex Murphy also ran into similar trouble with regards to his speaches to oil interests.

I guess you could argue that Murphy and Lang are not necessarily proper journalists, whereas Solomon is. Either way, not impressed by the differences in how they were treated, regardless of how monumentally stupid Solomon 's actions appear to be.

• Options
    notdroid wrote: »
    <consipiracytinfoilhat>
    Duceppe making a comeback as the head of the BQ right before the federal election is a ploy to take as many seats from the NPD as possible to allow for a Harper majority government to reign until the Quebec election in 2018, causing enough Quebecers to get disgusted of perpetual CPC rule at the federal level so that they'll elect the PQ based on an electoral platform centered on promising to hold a referendum in their first mandate.
    </consipiracytinfoilhat>

BQ performance won't really factor into the CPC seat count though, since they barely have any support in Quebec. It would only factor in if the CPC and NDP are within a certain margin of each other, and those Quebec seats are the difference between the NDP finishing ahead of or behind the Cons. If the CPC somehow managed another majority (even as an unlikely hypothetical those words were painful to type), those Quebec seats won't have been a factor. The BQ only really come into play as a variable with the CPC getting less than half of the seats nation-wide.

• Options
    Shadowen wrote: »

You mean like how failed American big-name conservative politicians get jobs at Fox News?

No, I mean that big fiery star in the sky. Literally.

• Options
    Shadowen wrote: »

No, I mean that big fiery star in the sky. Literally.

Nah. I'd rather have him be around to watch the government that kicked him out of power revert every damaging change he has made to this country.