As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics]: New Liberal Cabinet Sworn In

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    And thinking about it, shouldn't fire him into the ocean either, it 's been polluted enough by Harper already.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    They should deport him to the states so that he can be a yes man for the republicans.

Kind of like he is now, but without the power to dick his fellow canadians over.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Y'know, he looks a bit like Ted Cruz...Cruz is from Canada...abduct Cruz and replace him with Harper. It would actually probably raise the average intelligence of GOP congresscritters, though not by much. It's also about as far as we can get him from Canada in the US without sending him to Hawaii or some other semi-tropical island, and he doesn't deserve to live in a nice place like that.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Harper wants to live in an authoritarian, religiously-pure, oil-based-economy, political-dissent-free state. And he's been our PM for almost a decade. I say we, as a nation, owe it to him to help him realize his dream, as a thank-you gift to cap off his public service career. So, let's all chip in for a one-way ticket to Saudi Arabia.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    I have some friends that will be very happy about this.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/medical-marijuana-legal-in-all-forms-supreme-court-rules-1.3109148

Really wish the NDP would just come out for legalization so they could get my vote.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/medical-marijuana-legal-in-all-forms-supreme-court-rules-1.3109148

Really wish the NDP would just come out for legalization so they could get my vote.

If that's what's holding you back, that's pretty sad.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

Why? It's an important issue to me and to many people I know. Do you have friends that have lost careers and families because of possession conviction? I do. This has had a much higher direct impact on my life then the C-51 bill will probably ever have and that is probably the case for most Canadians.

They currently support decriminalization... It's better then the Con's crackdown but still a weak half-measure.

• Options

Why? It's an important issue to me and to many people I know. Do you have friends that have lost careers and families because of possession conviction? I do. This has had a much higher direct impact on my life then the C-51 bill will probably ever have and that is probably the case for most Canadians.

They currently support decriminalization... It's better then the Con's crackdown but still a weak half-measure.

Practically speaking, decriminalization is the best you can hope for as long as Boomers and their parents still dominate at the polls. That's a huge chunk of the electorate that believes weed was created by Satan to promote Communism or something equally ridiculous. But the reality is, any party that pushes for more than decriminalization in an election will never get past the Green Party level of support.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Richy wrote: »

Practically speaking, decriminalization is the best you can hope for as long as Boomers and their parents still dominate at the polls. That's a huge chunk of the electorate that believes weed was created by Satan to promote Communism or something equally ridiculous. But the reality is, any party that pushes for more than decriminalization in an election will never get past the Green Party level of support.

So you are ignoring the liberals?

http://metronews.ca/news/canada/1277843/justin-trudeau-on-everything-from-legalizing-marijuana-to-being-pro-choice-and-more/

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

http://metronews.ca/news/canada/1277843/justin-trudeau-on-everything-from-legalizing-marijuana-to-being-pro-choice-and-more/

So legalization is officially part of the Liberal platform? I didn't know that. Hm. I thought it was just his personal belief.

• Options

I had no idea he had said that. Alright, I stand corrected.

sig.gif
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular

I had no idea he had said that. Alright, I stand corrected.

Well, let's see what happens after the election. Liberals falling to Green Party levels of support isn't impossible...

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

So legalization is officially part of the Liberal platform? I didn't know that. Hm. I thought it was just his personal belief.

This is what spurred me to join the party. That being said, the way they voted on C-51 really made me have a deep internal debate on if I still wanted to stay on board. Many emails were sent to my local candidate and the party itself.

I want the debate to be more then "stoners just want to get stoned".

• Options
    Stoners would like to not be judged by the drunk guy throwing up in a trash can, is also a tiny part.

• Options
    notdroidnotdroid Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    notdroid wrote: »
    <consipiracytinfoilhat>
    Duceppe making a comeback as the head of the BQ right before the federal election is a ploy to take as many seats from the NPD as possible to allow for a Harper majority government to reign until the Quebec election in 2018, causing enough Quebecers to get disgusted of perpetual CPC rule at the federal level so that they'll elect the PQ based on an electoral platform centered on promising to hold a referendum in their first mandate.
    </consipiracytinfoilhat>

BQ performance won't really factor into the CPC seat count though, since they barely have any support in Quebec. It would only factor in if the CPC and NDP are within a certain margin of each other, and those Quebec seats are the difference between the NDP finishing ahead of or behind the Cons. If the CPC somehow managed another majority (even as an unlikely hypothetical those words were painful to type), those Quebec seats won't have been a factor. The BQ only really come into play as a variable with the CPC getting less than half of the seats nation-wide.

BQ performance could very well factor in the CPC seat count. Not by a huge amount of seat, granted, but every seat counts. In the 2011 election, there were ridings where the NDP finished first, with the CPC not far behind. A few NDP votes going to the BQ would have been enough to give those to the CPC. There are also cases where the CPC won the seat with a very narrow lead from the NDP - even a small amount of NDP members bleeding to the BQ could make it an easy win for the CPC versus a close race that could go both ways.

Some of the closest examples:

Montmagny—L'Islet—Kamouraska—Rivière-du-Loup
    NDP: 17,285 (36.36%) - win
    CPC:17,276 (36.34%)
    BQ: 9,550 (20.09%)

Louis-Saint-Laurent
    NDP: 22,629 - win
    CPC: 21,334
    BQ: 8,148

Lotbinière—Chutes-de-la-Chaudière
    NDP: 21,683
    CPC: 22,460 - win
    BQ: 8,381

EDIT: As you say, I don't think it's enough to solely be responsible for a Majority, but could play its role in tilting a strong minority gov into a weak majority one.

notdroid on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    shryke was warned for this.

Because single issue voting is fucking stupid.

Tube on
  • Options

Ok. Guess I'm not allowed to not follow the hive mind.

I said their support of legalization would make me switch my vote from Liberal to them. @shryke what would be important enough for me to do that since I am stupid and can clearly not make informed decisions?

• Options
    notdroidnotdroid Registered User regular

That strongly depends on the issue. Let's put this in another context:

Really wish the NDP would just come out against slavery so they could get my vote.

Why? It's an important issue to me and to many people I know. Do you have friends that have lost careers and families because of slavery? I do. This has had a much higher direct impact on my life then the C-51 bill will probably ever have and that is probably the case for most Canadians.

They currently support slaves buying their freedom... It's better then the Con's crackdown but still a weak half-measure.

Using less extreme examples, would you vote for the PQ even though you supported all of their policies, except "Quebec value charter"? Or Quebec splitting from Canada, for that matter?

• Options
    Maybe I am not being clear. I vote liberal for many reasons but this is a very important one to me. The NDP's opposition to C-51 impressed me very much. If they switched their stance on this issue it would probably sway me to change my vote.

I am not single issue voting. But legalization is important to me and I will not vote for any party that wanted to continue our archaic laws and continually get shot down by the supreme Court. Any party that supports legalization will get extra points. Decriminalization is the minimum you need to support to even be considered.

Is this ridiculous for any of you?

You could argue pretty much the same thing for abortion. Or gun control. Tough on crime etc.

• Options
    I'm single issue voting, I'm voting for whatever party can best get rid of the issue of Harper.

• Options
    For a bit of fun this morning:

https://www.facebook.com/che.saj.1/videos/10155649356225582/

(sorry I couldn't find a non-facebook version)

sig.gif
  • Options
    For a bit of fun this morning:

https://www.facebook.com/che.saj.1/videos/10155649356225582/

(sorry I couldn't find a non-facebook version)

You know, Thunder Bay, right near the Arctic Circle, ( on a clear day you can see Russia!)

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Surprised the guy didn't start talking about how Mounties are cute little guys in red shirts and funny hats who aren't allowed to have guns.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Surprised the guy didn't start talking about how Mounties are cute little guys in red shirts and funny hats who aren't allowed to have guns.

I thought they were there to rescue ladies that are being tied to railroad tracks?

• Options

I thought they were there to rescue ladies that are being tied to railroad tracks?

One thing's for sure, the Mounties can't possibly keep up with modern American criminals driving around in cars, since they're only riding on horseback.

sig.gif
  • Options

One thing's for sure, the Mounties can't possibly keep up with modern American criminals driving around in cars, since they're only riding on horseback.

Unless it's a car chase down the 401 in rush hour, at which point the mounties probably have a significant speed advantage :P

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Horses also refuse to jump across rooftops to follow motorcycled terrorists.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    new(?) Liberal plank, end the current first past the post voting system.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trudeau-would-end-first-past-the-post-system-1.2424390

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trudeau-would-end-first-past-the-post-system-1.2424390

If there is a single issue I'd vote on, this is it.

teriferin#1625
  • Options
    Teriferin wrote: »

If there is a single issue I'd vote on, this is it.
    If I believed it. I've lost count of how many parties I've seen campaign on abolishing FPTP then forget all about it after they win a FPTP election.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular

I, uh, I am left seriously conflicted by this news. I thought I was voting NDP up to this point.

You know how we were talking about single issue voters? This could be my panacea voter issue as it were, the one ring to rule them all.

Proportional Representation ridings for MPs... I think I might be voting Liberal.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular

I, uh, I am left seriously conflicted by this news. I thought I was voting NDP up to this point.

You know how we were talking about single issue voters? This could be my panacea voter issue as it were, the one ring to rule them all.

Proportional Representation ridings for MPs... I think I might be voting Liberal.

Because we all look at Israel's awesome government and think "Yes, that's exactly what we should be doing"?

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Hasn't the ndp supported proportional representation since forever?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Hasn't the ndp supported proportional representation since forever?

Well to be fair, they've never been in a position to lose seats from it. So we'll see. Also, I'm sure Trudeau and Harper respectively support and oppose reform entirely on principle.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I mean, yeah, I don't expect any party to implement it

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Man, if we could actually get a Single Transferable Vote system at the federal level...
    I'm not as into PR, at least not if in involves having MPs without direct constituencies, but obviously both it and STV would be better than the current FPTP system.

I'm really hoping this isn't just bluster.
    (We also really need stricter campaign spending laws for the time outside of official election cycles).

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Yeah Instant Runoff Voting as a form of STV seems like the best merging of a riding system without getting into the messiness of proportional representation and how it can create MPs without ridings.

• Options
    I honestly think that everybody is several centuries in the past with their political systems. We have a population that largely has access to the internet, and can access at least a summary of what a bill is and what it's expected cost and outcome is. Do we really need to elect people to vote for us in this day and age?

I mean yes, figuring out a whole new type of system is daunting, but why not at least look into it?

• Options
    El Skid wrote: »
    I honestly think that everybody is several centuries in the past with their political systems. We have a population that largely has access to the internet, and can access at least a summary of what a bill is and what it's expected cost and outcome is. Do we really need to elect people to vote for us in this day and age?

I mean yes, figuring out a whole new type of system is daunting, but why not at least look into it?

First of all, "largely" is not the same as "totally", and not having access to the Internet should not disqualify you from participating in our democracy.

Second, the role of a representative is not just to vote but also to represent, argue, research, and negotiate. Internet research gave us the anti-vaxers movement, and I don't need to tell you how internet debates go.

And third, if you think regular people, half of whom don't even bother to vote once every four years, are going to read and research bills in order to cast intelligent votes, I don't even know what to tell you.

sig.gif
  • Options
    El Skid wrote: »

First of all, "largely" is not the same as "totally", and not having access to the Internet should not disqualify you from participating in our democracy.

Second, the role of a representative is not just to vote but also to represent, argue, research, and negotiate. Internet research gave us the anti-vaxers movement, and I don't need to tell you how internet debates go.

And third, if you think regular people, half of whom don't even bother to vote once every four years, are going to read and research bills in order to cast intelligent votes, I don't even know what to tell you.

People forget that threads like these where we are all fairly informed/aware on most issues is far, far from the norm.

I just asked 5 coworkers what C-51 was and one thought it had something to do with terrorism.